PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Steelers' 2014 Breakout Player?

GBMelBlount
07-23-2014, 02:54 PM
One Steeler landed on Football Outsiders' list of 25 players primed for a breakthrough this season.

Markus Wheaton has the speed and vertical game needed to have a breakout season.
Second-year wide receiver Markus Wheaton is ninth on Aaron Schatz's list of breakout players after catching just six passes for 64 yards in 2013. For fans wondering why outside linebacker Jarvis Jones is not on Schatz's list, eligibility is limited to players who were drafted after the second round and have five or less career NFL starts.

Wheaton's first NFL season turned into a lost one, as Schatz notes, because of a combination of finger injuries that set him back and the stellar play of former Steelers wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

Despite Wheaton's limited playing time and sparse production as a rookie, Schatz is still high on the Steelers' 2013 third-round draft pick:
"Wheaton may have been the most promising vertical receiver in the 2013 draft thanks to a combination of speed and ability to beat press coverage. With [Emmanuel] Sanders and Cotchery both elsewhere, the starting spot opposite Antonio Brown is Wheaton's to lose."

Here are four other breakout candidates for the Steelers -- all players are eligible -- with training camp starting Friday.

Jones: The 2013 first-round pick is stronger and not just physically. A firmer grasp on the playbook should allow Jones to play faster this season after he managed just one sack despite starting eight games in 2013. Throw in the tutelage he will receive on a daily basis from defensive assistant Joey Porter and all signs point to Jones making a considerable jump this season. His development is critical to the Steelers returning to the playoffs after consecutive 8-8 seasons.

CB Cortez Allen: He has the potential to be a No. 1 cornerback and now is the time for Allen to put everything together after showing flashes his first three seasons. The 6-1, 196-pounder has good size and ball skills and he may be playing for a contract. Allen is entering the final year of his rookie deal though I think he is the most likely Steelers player to sign a long-term contract before the start of the season.

OT Mike Adams: The 2012 second-round pick rebounded nicely after losing his starting job at left tackle four games into last season. Don't discount that or how a stabbing suffered in June of 2013 might have set him back physically. If anyone can unlock Adams' enormous potential it is new offensive line coach Mike Munchak, and Adams will be given a chance to win a starting job during training camp. Whether that is at left or right tackle remains to be seen.

NT Steve McLendon: He has added 20 pounds to deal with the physical rigors of holding your ground in the middle of a 3-4 defense. A year removed from replacing five-time Pro Bowler Casey Hampton at nose tackle, McLendon is also more sure of himself. The former undrafted free agent could develop into a three-down player because of his ability to provide an inside rush when the Steelers employ their nickel defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/7650/steelers-wheaton-primed-for-breakthrough

SteelerFanInStl
07-23-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm hoping for Cortez because we really need someone to step up at CB.

steelreserve
07-23-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm going with Adams because even though he was god-awful at times, the guy coaching him this year is one of the best in the business. If Adams has a future in the NFL, this is the year we'll see him start to turn the corner.

Am also hoping for Allen, because we desperately need another legitimate CB ... a younger safety replacing Clark might also help put him in a position to succeed. If he does have a good year, I sure hope we got him signed to an extension before the season. Because otherwise he'll be way too expensive.

dislocatedday
07-23-2014, 06:32 PM
No reason the Steelers can't have more than one breakout player this year. I hope all these guys make a quantum leap forward :cheer2:

GBMelBlount
07-23-2014, 06:55 PM
I pick McLendon.

If he truly put on 20 pounds of MUSCLE this offseason then we may see a huge jump in his performance.

86WARD
07-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Bell.

Count Steeler
07-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Big Ben gets his SB MVP!

Psycho Ward 86
07-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Out of the given options, Tez. PFF focus had him holding opposing QB's to a QBR of under 60 in 9 games, but gave up a QBR of over 100 in 4 games. Talent is not the issue, consistency just needs to be established. I was really harsh on the guy last year, but im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury and the overall futility of the entire defense. He showed flashes of promise his rookie year, became THE BEST nickel corner in the league the following year and had 2 phenomenal starts to go with it.

I keep hearing the hype about wheaton, and im sure he'll be much improved, but i dont think it will show up on the stat sheet as much as the hype suggests. I think moore, a healthy miller, 2 good receiving backs, and possibly martavis bryant will eat up a lot of his targets.

Steeltreal
07-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Bell.

Agreed, bring back the 100 yard Rush per game Streak!

86WARD
07-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Big Ben gets his SB MVP!

This would be my most favorite thing ever!!

HollywoodSteel
07-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Whichever player has the worst acne or cold sores. Or it could be hives. Those breakouts really suck.

I'm here all week folks. Be sure to tip your waitress.

Drazo85
07-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I sure hope Jarvis has breakout. It would mean that line and the secondary instantly had a breakout as well.

steelreserve
07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Bell.

Bell? But he's already good.

GBMelBlount
07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Bell? But he's already good.

I'd say someone who averages less than 3.5 ypc is a candidate for Hollywood's "breakout" award.

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1329784036766_9847812.png

LLT
07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
I think Allen has the greatest chance of being "that" player from this list who we most appreciate by the end of the season.

That being said...I think Moats will be a fan favorite by the end of the season. I have followed this guy for a few years and the only thing that has held him back is the incompetenace of the Bills organization....multiple defensive coordinators....being moved back and forth between ILB, OLB and DE.

Put him in one spot where he can truly rely on the guy beside him...let him get a few snaps under his belt and I predict he will be competing for serious playing time.

GBMelBlount
07-24-2014, 08:14 PM
I think Allen has the greatest chance of being "that" player from this list who we most appreciate by the end of the season.

That being said...I think Moats will be a fan favorite by the end of the season. I have followed this guy for a few years and the only thing that has held him back is the incompetenace of the Bills organization....multiple defensive coordinators....being moved back and forth between ILB, OLB and DE.

Put him in one spot where he can truly rely on the guy beside him...let him get a few snaps under his belt and I predict he will be competing for serious playing time.

IF cortez and Moats shine and Shazier and the new FA safety perform this defense could be really solid the latter part of the year.

The first half of the season could be a big adjustment.

Psycho Ward 86
07-24-2014, 09:02 PM

If Jason Worilds was too leave next season and/or Jarvis Jones flops again, how would you feel about Moats as one of our possible OLB's of the future?

oneforthetoe
07-25-2014, 12:47 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEED

LLT
07-25-2014, 09:19 AM
IF cortez and Moats shine and Shazier and the new FA safety perform this defense could be really solid the latter part of the year.

The first half of the season could be a big adjustment.

I think this season may hang on the ability of Tuitts and Shazier stepping in and truly competing. Moats is a great security blanket and Allen has what it takes to be a very good CB. You are right on the money, when you say the first half of the year will be something of an adjustment. Can Steelers fans be patient enough to ride it out?

- - - Updated - - -

If Jason Worilds was too leave next season and/or Jarvis Jones flops again, how would you feel about Moats as one of our possible OLB's of the future?

If Moats works out the way I think he will...we may not have to sign Worilds to a top heavy contract. It would be nice to have that leverage when the season is over.

GBMelBlount
07-25-2014, 10:12 AM
I think this season may hang on the ability of Tuitts and Shazier stepping in and truly competing.

Moats is a great security blanket and Allen has what it takes to be a very good CB.

You are right on the money, when you say the first half of the year will be something of an adjustment.

Can Steelers fans be patient enough to ride it out?

No