PDA

View Full Version : Despite fulfilling promise to mother, Steelers' Tomlin not yet satisfied

stillers4me
07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
As Steelers coaches gathered at Seven Springs Mountain Resort to celebrate their Super Bowl win in February 2009, the mood was festive.
There was a sense of relief and accomplishment. Two years after being hired, Mike Tomlin, at 36, was the youngest head coach to win the Super Bowl, fulfilling a promise he made to his mother, Julia Copeland, that he wouldn't wait long to lift the Lombardi Trophy.

“He said right away, ‘It's Super Bowl or bust,' and he believed in what he was preaching,” said Terry Hammons, an Upper St. Clair native and one of Tomlin's closest friends.

The arrow, as Tomlin loves to say, was pointing up.

After going 60-28 in Tomlin's first five seasons, the arrow suddenly shifted directions. The Steelers are coming off successive 8-8 records as they open their eighth training camp under Tomlin on Friday at St. Vincent College near Latrobe.

Think the pressure isn't on Tomlin? The Steelers haven't had three consecutive non-winning seasons since 1969-71, Chuck Noll's first three seasons.

It's made him mad, center Maurkice Pouncey said of the .500 seasons. “It has (angered) all of us.”..........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6418580-74/tomlin-coach-mike#ixzz381DPgnfF

muncher
07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Not that bold of a prediction by him. Im sure Tomlin knew his best chance to win a super bowl was early when he had Cowhers players.

fansince'76
07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Not that bold of a prediction by him. Im sure Tomlin knew his best chance to win a super bowl was early when he had Cowhers players.

Yeah, because after all, Cowher won so many titles with his own players...

Craic
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Of course, it took Cowher six to seven years to build that team after LOSING an AFC Championship game and then again LOSING a SB game with Noll's players, and then going three years without making the playoffs. At least, Tomlin was 1 and 1 in SBs, and hasn't had a losing season yet while rebuilding.

Funny how much we like to revise history, isn't it?

muncher
07-23-2014, 10:12 PM
cowher only had a franchise qb for a couple years, tomlin has had one his entire time(in his prime too).
as cowhers players leave and tomlins take over, you can see what direction we have been going.
no toughness, no identity, no leaders.
i can only imagine what this team will look like when ben is gone and there are only tomlin players left.

fansince'76
07-24-2014, 04:00 AM
cowher only had a franchise qb for a couple years, tomlin has had one his entire time(in his prime too).

Which was largely COWHER'S fault. After all, it was Cowher who stubbornly stuck with Kordell as "his guy" and basically wasted five seasons' worth of the Bus' prime. And if Dan Rooney had remained silent and things were left entirely up to Cowher in 2004, we'd have drafted Shawn Andrews in the first round instead of Roethlisberger and we'd more than likely still be sitting on Lombardi #4 and a 35-year (and running) Super Bowl drought.

as cowhers players leave and tomlins take over, you can see what direction we have been going.
i can only imagine what this team will look like when ben is gone and there are only tomlin players left.

Yet Tomlin hasn't turned in a losing season yet, unlike Cowher going 7-9 in 1998, 6-10 in 1999 and 6-10 again in 2003. And I can only imagine how much and how badly Roethlisberger's growth as a QB would have been held back had Maddox managed to stay healthy and Cowher stuck around after '06. I have a strong feeling Mr. "I-don't-need-no-stinking-QB" would have probably stuck with Turnover Tommy for at least two or three more seasons no matter how badly he stunk it up while letting Roethlisberger rot on the bench, especially considering how Roethlisberger was basically forced on him by the FO in the first place.

muncher
07-24-2014, 08:22 AM
the rooneys also see what i see.
there's a reason why they they decide which coaches, stay, get fired or hired. they dont allow tomlin to make those decisions anymore based on his past hires. they realize they need to surround him with as many great(ex head) coaches as possible to make up for his inability to game plan and prepare the team.

fansince'76
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
there's a reason why they they decide which coaches, stay, get fired or hired. they dont allow tomlin to make those decisions anymore based on his past hires. they realize they need to surround him with as many great(ex head) coaches as possible to make up for his inability to game plan and prepare the team.

Sure, whatever you say, pal...

BTW, in what alternate universe would Haley be considered a "great" coach, in any capacity?

X-Terminator
07-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Yet another Cowher rah-rah guy who has hated Tomlin from day one. One of the hundreds, if not thousands, on the internet and in Pittsburgh. Which pretty much means anything you say from this point on doesn't have a shred of credibility. At least not with me.

fansince'76
07-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Yet another Cowher rah-rah guy who has hated Tomlin from day one. One of the hundreds, if not thousands, on the internet and in Pittsburgh. Which pretty much means anything you say from this point on doesn't have a shred of credibility. At least not with me.

But the Cowher era was the Golden Age of Steelers football! Didn't yinz know that?!? Losing 4 AFCCGs at home (in largely embarrassing fashion and often to inferior teams that they should have mopped the floor with) was awesome! And don't forget the coup de grâce, Super Bowl XL, which was so poorly played that everyone outside of the Steelers fanbase still thinks the game was bought and paid for by the Rooneys! Man, it just don't get any better than that!

muncher
07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
not sure where in any of my posts i claimed cowher was great, but spin the truth anyway you want if it makes you feel better about tomlin.
btw, like i care if i have 'crediblity' with a poster that makes up stuff and claims he knows i hated tomlin from day one......talk about no credibility

fansince'76
07-24-2014, 01:41 PM
It's time...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Troll_zpsd847c60a.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/Troll_zpsd847c60a.jpg.html)

X-Terminator
07-24-2014, 06:17 PM
not sure where in any of my posts i claimed cowher was great, but spin the truth anyway you want if it makes you feel better about tomlin.
btw, like i care if i have 'crediblity' with a poster that makes up stuff and claims he knows i hated tomlin from day one......talk about no credibility

There are members of this forum who are not fans of Tomlin, but they give actual and legitimate reasons for their feelings...not that bunch of weak sauce bullshit you're trying to sell us on.

Like I said...zero credibility.

stillers4me
07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWx6ukNnq7Q

salamander
07-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Do not feed the troll. :chuckle:

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

muncher
07-25-2014, 02:12 PM
There are members of this forum who are not fans of Tomlin, but they give actual and legitimate reasons for their feelings...not that bunch of weak sauce bullshit you're trying to sell us on.

Like I said...zero credibility.

once again, show me where i said cowher was great. that's right, you cant
i gave actual and legitimate facts about tomlin winning with cowhers players, how the rooneys decide who the coaches are(well documented about arians) and how poory he prepares the team.
just because you can t understand this doesnt make it 'weak sauce'.
didnt i already express my thoughts of having credibility with you? i guess you didnt understand that either

fansince'76
07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
i gave actual and legitimate facts about tomlin winning with cowhers players, how the rooneys decide who the coaches are(well documented about arians) and how poory he prepares the team.
didnt i already express my thoughts of having credibility with you? i guess you didnt understand that either

If Tomlin is so hopelessly inept at coaching and preparation, why did the team bounce back to finish 8-8 after the 0-4 start last year, when it would have probably been easier for them to roll over and play dead like the Texans and Falcons? Especially considering all the injuries and the fact that the 2013 Steelers roster was the least talented that the team has fielded for a while (which in your world, is surely all Tomlin's fault as well)? Not only that, but toward the end of last season, the Steelers were also one of the hottest teams in the league.

From the downright bizarre homophobic post regarding the Pouncey brothers to your contributions to this thread in particular, you really have offered up nothing but a bunch of weak sauce.

X-Terminator
07-25-2014, 05:08 PM

Oh trust me, I understand that perfectly well.

Here's the dealio, smart guy. The second you said Tomlin only won his SB because he had Cowher's players completely invalidated everything else you said. As if he was going to come in and immediately get rid of all of those guys so that he would win points with "fans" like you. Give me a break.

Weak. Sauce.

BTW, if you want to see a FAIR and BALANCED thread discussing Tomlin and his "shortcomings", check out the "Is Mike Tomlin on the Hot Seat" thread.

Edman
07-25-2014, 06:14 PM
But the Cowher era was the Golden Age of Steelers football! Didn't yinz know that?!? Losing 4 AFCCGs at home (in largely embarrassing fashion and often to inferior teams that they should have mopped the floor with) was awesome! And don't forget the coup de grâce, Super Bowl XL, which was so poorly played that everyone outside of the Steelers fanbase still thinks the game was bought and paid for by the Rooneys! Man, it just don't get any better than that!

Also, the one Championship Game we DID win at home, it came down to the last second as the Steelers once again stumbled and fumbled around with the Colts! After all that talk of not repeating 1994!

Cowher was one Aaron Bailey Miracle away from being an embarrassing 0-5 record in Home Championship Games!

All hail the Glory Days of Bill Cowher!

What about the days when the Jaguars and Titans would always wreck our shit? Jeff Fisher and Tom Coughlin consistently clowned the Steelers and Cowher! You thought Belichick and Brady were bad? These were DIVISION rivals beating on the Steelers!

All Hail the Glory Days of Bill Cowher!

As you mentioned already, what about Korkie Stewart? The Quarterback who shouldn't have been a quarterback? But we stuck with him for five years, and instead of picking up a decent QB to give him competition, we got Kent Graham and Jim Miller!

All Hail the Glory Days of Bill Cowher!

The Steelers wallowed around in hopelessness for three seasons (1998-2000, and the 2003 Steelers weren't no classic either! The last Steelers losing season in a DECADE.

All Hail the Glory Days of Bill Cowher! Mike Tomlin is a joke! Never mind the fact that he's has YET to lose a Championship Game at home, post a losing record, or pull that injury-riddled talent-deprived 2013 squad together after the worst start in 40 years to the cusp of the postseason that would make the 1989 Steelers proud, he sucks and is no good!

X-Terminator
07-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Also, the one Championship Game we DID win at home, it came down to the last second as the Steelers once again stumbled and fumbled around with the Colts! After all that talk of not repeating 1994!

Cowher was one Aaron Bailey Miracle away from being an embarrassing 0-5 record in Home Championship Games! All hail the Glory Days of Bill Cowher!

Yep. At least Mike Tomlin can say he's never lost an AFCCG at home. 2-0 so far.

Count Steeler
07-26-2014, 06:41 AM

steeldawg!!! How you been? We missed you!

fansince'76
07-26-2014, 07:45 AM

steeldawg!!! How you been? We missed you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

86WARD
07-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Jim Miller wasn't terrible...not great, but not
Terrible.

muncher
07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
lol.............ignore the facts and challenge, just bring other BS to the table to trey to defend your position.
when the only comeback is saying 'weak sauce', its an easy win for me.

fansince'76
07-27-2014, 06:43 PM
:nw::nw: :nw: :nw: :nw:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SizmiZ5pSGU/TmyZQoC45II/AAAAAAAAG1c/fN7FJ0uQ_ss/s1600/zack-ryder-internet-champion.jpg

X-Terminator
07-27-2014, 07:22 PM
lol.............ignore the facts and challenge, just bring other BS to the table to trey to defend your position.
when the only comeback is saying 'weak sauce', its an easy win for me.

You didn't bring an argument. You brought 7th grade unintelligent and uneducated bullshit. That doesn't deserve anything more than "weak sauce" for an answer, and honestly, really didn't deserve an answer at all.

Count Steeler
07-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Steelers fans are so fortunate we really have no reason to complain.

Name me another franchise with 6 Lombardis.

Name me another franchise to have THREE successive head coaches to win the SB.

Name me another franchise that has/had a coach to win 4 SB.

We tried to keep the window open a bit too long and we paid the price. Yet no losing season.

I think we are back on the upswing.

Tomlin didn't win with Cowhers players, he won with Steelers players.