PDA

View Full Version : Keep An Eye On 'Big Safety'

stillers4me
07-18-2014, 05:48 AM
When Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said this past spring that "We got inside linebackers out the butt," he was certainly thinking of the team's first-round draft pick Ryan Shazier (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827740), who'll team with Lawrence Timmons (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827955) as the starting duo inside.

And, of course, Butler was talking about Vince Williams (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827996), the second-year buck who filled in as a rookie last year after Larry Foote (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=6825445) went down.

Butler's also thinking about his new toy, Sean Spence (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827742), who appears to be on his way to completing a two-year recovery from a knee injury that included severe nerve damage.

But there's another inside linebacker Butler had in mind, and it's not sixth-round draft pick Jordan Zumwalt (http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=7827837) -- at least not yet..............

read more @

http://pit.scout.com/story/1422235-keep-an-eye-on-big-safety?s=68#/story/1422235-keep-an-eye-on-big-safety?s=68

Devilsdancefloor
07-18-2014, 11:50 AM
I feel really good about our ILBer situaton, not so sure about OLBer yet. He has a great attitude it wold seem i hope he finds a way to stick around

steelreserve
07-18-2014, 06:42 PM
"We got inside linebackers out the butt,"

Gross. The Goatse guy would be proud, I guess.

I feel really good about our ILBer situaton, not so sure about OLBer yet. He has a great attitude it wold seem i hope he finds a way to stick around

Yeah, seriously weird that the position of strength is reversed this year. I think we have pretty decent OLBs ... their success, as always, is largely going to depend on how well the defensive line does its job. If Heyward steps up, and Tuitt and/or Thomas turn out to be any improvement over Hood (which is not hard), then the OLBs ought to have a decent year. If by some miracle we also get respectable play from the NT position, they could have a great year. If the DL plays like last season, I think the OLBs and the secondary are both pretty much fucked.

Psycho Ward 86
07-18-2014, 08:01 PM
we should strongly consider trading one of our ILB's.

Mojouw
07-18-2014, 08:04 PM

For what? Timmons is the only proven one. Shazier projects well. Those two are untouchable. The rest are guys with either little to no track record in the NFL or a veteran (Moats) that no one rushed to sign in FA.

I guess if they feel they must have a conditional 7th rounder in 2015...

GBMelBlount
07-18-2014, 08:18 PM
For what? Timmons is the only proven one. Shazier projects well. Those two are untouchable. The rest are guys with either little to no track record in the NFL or a veteran (Moats) that no one rushed to sign in FA.

I agree except for Moats. I think he was a solid signing and is proven.

Count Steeler
07-18-2014, 09:14 PM

Lets at least wait until the end of camp to see what we have. All that has been done so far is in shorts. Lots of superstars at this stage. Besides, you know that 6 letter word that has destroyed our last 2 seasons. Lets hope that bug is gone.

Shoes
07-18-2014, 09:50 PM
I think Jordan Zumwalt is going to open some eyes next month. He's got the fire and intensity the D needs.

Chidi29
07-18-2014, 11:14 PM

This. Let's keep the depth we have. Hard to build it if you instinctively want to trade it right away.

On topic, Garvin is a plays run defense like a safety playing LB. Special teamer, but nothing more than that in my eyes.

steelreserve
07-19-2014, 02:41 PM
This. Let's keep the depth we have. Hard to build it if you instinctively want to trade it right away.

On topic, Garvin is a plays run defense like a safety playing LB. Special teamer, but nothing more than that in my eyes.

... but he said they've got linebackers out the butt! Doesn't that mean anything?!

GBMelBlount
07-19-2014, 03:13 PM
... but he said they've got linebackers out the butt! Doesn't that mean anything?!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Z7xkg8lOabs/0.jpg

Mojouw
07-19-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree except for Moats. I think he was a solid signing and is proven.

Undoubtedly. I am a big fan of the Moats signing. My only point was that there was not exactly a bidding war for his services when he was a FA. Seems that he wouldn't really fetch much in trade only a few months later. Although with Kiko Alonso getting injured, maybe they could ship him back to the bills for a 4th rounder? ;)

steelreserve
07-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Undoubtedly. I am a big fan of the Moats signing. My only point was that there was not exactly a bidding war for his services when he was a FA. Seems that he wouldn't really fetch much in trade only a few months later. Although with Kiko Alonso getting injured, maybe they could ship him back to the bills for a 4th rounder? ;)

I was pretty surprised by the amount of money we got him for, honestly. He signed a minimum deal before most other people were signing minimum deals ... maybe he sold himself short. I mean, as far as I can tell, he's not a superstar but there's nothing wrong with him either, which is worth a little more than what we're paying him. Could be we just got a bargain. You don't get much in trades for those kinds of player, though. Even a 4th rounder is pretty optimistic. Teams value their own draft picks as if every late-rounder is going to turn into Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice combined, so a conditional 7th-rounder is about right.

GBMelBlount
07-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Could be we just got a bargain.

Agree.

HollywoodSteel
07-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I was pretty surprised by the amount of money we got him for, honestly. He signed a minimum deal before most other people were signing minimum deals ... maybe he sold himself short. I mean, as far as I can tell, he's not a superstar but there's nothing wrong with him either, which is worth a little more than what we're paying him. Could be we just got a bargain. You don't get much in trades for those kinds of player, though. Even a 4th rounder is pretty optimistic. Teams value their own draft picks as if every late-rounder is going to turn into Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice combined, so a conditional 7th-rounder is about right.

maybe we got him at a bargain because it was a one year deal, and before the draft he might have had a good shot at starting at ILB for us. Perhaps he thought he could make enough of a mark for us, that he'd up his value tremendously on the free market next year. But with the drafting of Shazier that might make things tough for him, barring an injury. I really like having him for quality depth though, at both inside and outside LB. I still wouldn't mind picking up James Harrison as an insurance policy at OLB. I believe he can still play the position, for us at least where he's familiar with the system. I know I've said it before, but I see no reason why we don't bring him in for training camp. He could beat out Carter for that last OLB spot, and even if he doesn't, I'd rather have him in training camp, then cut him, and if we have an injury and need to call him up off the couch he'll already be in the flow of our system (with all the new faces) from training camp.

katmandu
07-25-2014, 11:09 AM
I think we have pretty decent OLBs ... Not behind the starters we don't.

KeiselPower99
07-26-2014, 07:09 PM
I look at Moats the same way I looked at Keyaron Fox when we signed him. Could be a very good signing. The way it looks is our ILB position is the most athletic we have ever had here. 4 guys that have speed and like to hit. Im very excited.