PDA

View Full Version : No change in Steelers' quarterback rotation

polamalubeast
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
No change in Steelers' quarterback rotation

ALAN ROBINSON Associated Press

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) — Dennis Dixon is off to a running start as he tries to overtake Byron Leftwich and become the Steelers' starting quarterback during Ben Roethlisberger's suspension.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/no-change-in-steelers-quarterback-rotation/article/feed/182331?custom_click=pod_headline_nfl-news#ixzz0woFYYMrU

GoSlash27
08-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Ain't gonna happen even if Dixon can turn bagels into sea bass. Lefty's starting.
/ Tho' I wish they would start Dixon.

HometownGal
08-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Leftwich is the seasoned vet and if the OL had done its job, I think Lefty would have fared much better in the limited action he saw on Saturday night. Though I continue to be impressed with Dix, I feel 100% confident in Lefty subbing for Ben in those first 4 all important matchups. My gut tells me it isn't Dix's time just yet.

polamalubeast
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
If the o-line continues to play poorly, I prefer to have Dixon as a starter.

HometownGal
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
If the o-line continues to play poorly, I prefer to have Dixon as a starter.

If he doesn't learn how to deal with pocket pressure a little better, he's going to have a very short career. Opponents are going to figure out fast and in a hurry that if you pressure him, he's going to run and eventually, they'll be waiting for him.

Chidi29
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Here's the thing that really gets me about all the "Bench Leftwich, start Dixon" comments.

People talk about how slow and immobile Leftwich is, how bad our line is, and the destructive combination that brings.

But we knew all that coming into camp. And there wasn't this big clamoring to start Dixon.

I say go with Leftwich. For the first four-six weeks, we're going to need a QB that will make as few mistakes as possible. Leftwich is that guy; I still don't trust Dixon's decision making, pocket presence, and he won't always be as successful running the ball against a 1st team defense.

tony hipchest
08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
and he won't always be as successful running the ball against a 1st team defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5YzR3kYHo4&feature=related

zulater
08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
If he doesn't learn how to deal with pocket pressure a little better, he's going to have a very short career. Opponents are going to figure out fast and in a hurry that if you pressure him, he's going to run and eventually, they'll be waiting for him.

Yeah that might be true, but if it can buy us a 2-2 record or better in the first 4 games then I'm not really too woried about what lies down the road for Dennis. Sorry if that seems callous, but I'm all about the 2010 season, and whoever can best negotiate us through those first four games without us losing our season is what I'm most interested in. If the league starts catching up with Dennis week 5 so what? Ben will be back then. But he needs to inherit a 2-2 team or better if we're going to have a legitimate chance at a Super bowl season.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Great point by zulater. It seems like every year you see a rookie or no name QB burst onto the scene and play lights out for the first six weeks or so. After that opponents start to get tape on them and they fall back to Earth. Happened last year with Mark Sanchez.

I'm not really buying the "he doesn't know enough of the play book" arguement, that some are using, either. He is going into his third year with the team. I would think that he would have a pretty firm grasp of the plays maybe more so than Leftwhich who has been in multiple systems.

SteelerEmpire
08-17-2010, 04:20 AM
I think the "mix" of Lefty and Dixon is whats most effective... Let Lefty start, which will bring mental stability to the team.
Throw Dixon in there to a degree to set it off !
Its all about "stalling" until Ben can get back...