PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Roethlisberger running out of time to do new deal

polamalubeast
07-14-2014, 02:05 PM
When it comes to contracts, the Steelers have one very clear rule: Once the regular season starts, no new deals will be done.

For quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has two years left on his current long-term contract, that means there’s not much time to get the kind of raise he surely covets, especially in light of the current quarterback market.

Despite a cap number of $18.895 million, Roethlisberger will earn only $12.1 million in 2014. And while I often follow the word “only” with an “(only?)” when throwing around numbers like that, as quarterbacks go Roethlisberger is grossly underpaid.

Plenty of other guys who haven’t played nearly as long nor accomplished nearly as much have broken the $20 million-per-year barrier. Roethlisberger meanwhile carries the risk of injury (which is quite high given his age and playing style) while waiting for a deal that reflects the current state of the franchise-quarterback market.

The Steelers are content to carry a cap number bloated by multiple can-kicking restructurings, knowing that the next contract will cost them plenty of money. And while they’ll extend quarterback deals with two seasons left, there’s been no indication of progress on a retirement contract for Roethlisberger.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/14/steelers-roethlisberger-running-out-of-time-to-do-new-deal/

X-Terminator
07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Just keep on stirring up the pot, Florio.

I'm not even going to bother clicking on that jackass' link. Ben's contract will get done when it gets done. Yes, we'd like to see him extended now and there's still 2 months left to get it done, but it isn't like it's urgent.

Oh, and fuck you, Florio. Just so I'm clear on my feelings here.

blackngldblood
07-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh, and fuck you, Florio. Just so I'm clear on my feelings here.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelreserve
07-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Talk about a non-story. No way is it not gonna get done. The smart thing to do would be give him a deal that takes his current cap hit of ~$19M and just keeps that going for a few seasons but in real money, since we've gotten to a point of cap equilibrium where we can handle it. Something like $19-20M would be fair for both sides.

Every time this story comes up, I'm reminded of our policy of breaking off negotiations once the season starts, and just how stupid it is. That really needs to end, like - now. Mike Wallace should have cleared up any doubts as to whether not negotiating a contract during the season keeps players from getting distracted by their contract. All we do is shoot ourselves in the foot, with a very large-caliber weapon.