PDA

View Full Version : Louis Lipps: My all-time favorite Steelers receiver

GBMelBlount
07-12-2014, 10:38 PM
When you're a kid, you're certainly more impressionable than at any other time in your life. And, for young sports fans, this may be especially the case when it comes to things like idolizing and worshiping professional athletes.

Yours truly was too young to really appreciate the Steelers' glory days of the 70s, and receivers like Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, who amazed with their ability to make crucial catches for critical scores in the biggest games imaginable.

I was obviously old enough to appreciate the Steelers' second Super Bowl era and the toughness and grit of an underdog like Hines Ward, who, perhaps remarkably, rose up and set team receiving marks in both catches and total yards, and like Swann did three decades before, was named MVP of a Super Bowl.

But there's just something about those professional athletes that you watched on a regular basis as a child, when nothing else really mattered other than your favorite team and your favorite players.

And that's why I count Louis Lipps, No. 83, the man who was affectionately known as "Louuuuuuu!" by the home crowd, as my favorite Steelers receiver of all-time.

Lipps was selected by Pittsburgh in the first round of the 1984 NFL Draft, and he began to dazzle almost immediately.

Lipps' first touchdown as a pro occurred in Week 1 against the Chiefs, when he pulled in an 80 yard bomb from David Woodley.

All-in-all, Lipps would total 45 catches for 860 yards and nine touchdown receptions in his rookie campaign.

Lipps would also prove to be a dual threat, as he set an NFL rookie mark for punt return yardage with 656 and scored on a 76 yard return in Week 12 against the Saints.

For his stellar accomplishments in just his first season, Lipps would be named the AP NFL Rookie of the Year. (continued)

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/Louis-Lipps-My-alltime-favorite-Steelers-receiver-2-10083772

tube517
07-12-2014, 10:40 PM
I had a poster of Louis in my bedroom in the 80s. For a while, he was about all there was to get excited about until Woodson came along.

Steeldude
07-12-2014, 11:43 PM
The article was going well until it mentioned Wallace. Wallace had only one thing, straight-line speed. There was nothing else to him. He couldn't catch, run routes or block. He had no desire to play the game. He gave effort only when he wanted to. Lipps was the exact opposite. He might have been the greatest Steelers' WR of all-time if not for his chronic hamstring problem.

touchdownward
07-13-2014, 12:42 AM
I love Lipps, I was in my very early teens during his run, remember it well. Image how more dazzling he would have been that rookie season if he had a better QB than Woodley.

86WARD
07-13-2014, 07:27 AM
The article was going well until it mentioned Wallace. Wallace had only one thing, straight-line speed. There was nothing else to him. He couldn't catch, run routes or block. He had no desire to play the game. He gave effort only when he wanted to. Lipps was the exact opposite. He might have been the greatest Steelers' WR of all-time if not for his chronic hamstring problem.

The article didn't mention anything more than what you are complaining about...lol.

Loved watching Lipps as a youngster myself. Probably had the same Lipps poster and sported the steelers 83 jersey t-shirt.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/atynysyq.jpg

7SteelGal43
07-13-2014, 09:10 AM
I was a freshman at Southern Miss during Lipps senior season there. Loved getting to watch him play.

HollywoodSteel
07-19-2014, 04:18 PM

And his chronic QB problem.

Godfather
07-19-2014, 05:57 PM
I was a freshman at Southern Miss during Lipps senior season there. Loved getting to watch him play.

Cool! Nice thing about living in the Deep South is having connections like that.

His cousin, Renee Wilson, took was in my Spanish class my first semester at Tulane. She was cute too.

steelerdude15
07-22-2014, 07:38 PM
I never got to see him play, but I know he played well and is regarded as one of the best Steelers receivers of all time.