PDA

View Full Version : Jones Projections

Mojouw
07-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Ouch. The recent data is not good for young Jarvis.

So what is the lowest # of sacks that Jones can have this season where there are not grumblings? Or will all around play be more important to most here?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/07/numbers-crunch-projecting-jarvis-jones-sacks-2014/

For further reference here are some 2nd year as starter #'s for other Steelers OLB's:

Porter - 9 (2001)
Woodley - 13.5 (2009)
Harrison - 16 (2008)
Haggans - 9 (2005)
Gildon - 5 (1997)
Emmons - 6 (1999)
Lloyd - 4.5 (1990)

So at least 6? For me he has to get 6+ or I figure it is time to start talking about Jones as Larry English without the injuries to excuse things.

GBMelBlount
07-12-2014, 06:27 PM
I hope Jones has been working his ass off physically and mentally to prepare himself for this season.

Being slow does not help either.

Psycho Ward 86
07-12-2014, 06:32 PM
i came up with my super biased prediction of like 7 or 8 sacks for jarvis in another thread but i understand thats homeristic and unrealistic. i only predicted that many because he has such great coaches in dick lebeau, keith butler, and joey porter. That and im hoping for a cameron jordan-type turnaround. Honestly if he holds his own as a pass rusher and ends up with even like 4-5 sacks and a fair number of hurries and knockdowns, i think jason worilds will pull through and play like a madman since he's still playing for a contract. not to mention shazier and mitchell add interesting dimensions to our pass rush capabilities

Shoes
07-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Nice article Chidi!

Steeldude
07-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Which is why the Steelers should look into re-signing Harrison.

X-Terminator
07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
You know, before we send Jones off to the glue factory, can we at least wait and see what he does in this, his SECOND SEASON? Sheesh!

I've always said that Steelers fans have no patience. Here's another glaring example. Then I realize that this is the same fan base that declared Troy Polamalu a bust after his rookie season.

Oops.

Shoes
07-13-2014, 04:09 PM
You know, before we send Jones off to the glue factory, can we at least wait and see what he does in this, his SECOND SEASON? Sheesh!

I've always said that Steelers fans have no patience. Here's another glaring example. Then I realize that this is the same fan base that declared Troy Polamalu a bust after his rookie season.

Oops.

I think JJ will have a great season. Everything was new to him last year, yet he was very close on a lot of plays. He looks like he beefed up some from the pics I've seen of him.

Chidi29
07-13-2014, 11:28 PM
I'm all for waiting, but I see a serious talent issue with Jones. No bend, lacked strength. Didn't have a repertoire. That coupled with the data doesn't bode well.

But we'll see. HUGE year for him. Has to make a 180. And quick.

Psycho Ward 86
07-14-2014, 12:01 AM
i remember reading cordarrelle patterson was supposed to be ridiculously high on the steelers draft board and were likely prepared to take him if jarvis jones wasnt there. hopefully we dont end up looking back at that as a mistake

Mojouw
07-14-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm all for waiting, but I see a serious talent issue with Jones. No bend, lacked strength. Didn't have a repertoire. That coupled with the data doesn't bode well.

But we'll see. HUGE year for him. Has to make a 180. And quick.

This. The talent was there for Polamalu, he just needed time to harness it.

I hate to say it, but I think Jones topped out in the SEC. He is a great SEC player, but likely only a league average NFL player.

Also as to what Psycho Ward 86 posted -- I don't think that starting middle of this year or so, there will not be a year that goes by that Steelers fans do not wish for a Patterson/Jones swap.

HollywoodSteel
07-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Oops.

Another annoying thing about our fan base is their tendency towards sweeping generalizations about our fan base. :)

X-Terminator
07-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Another annoying thing about our fan base is their tendency towards sweeping generalizations about our fan base. :)

But I'm right more often than not. :)

HollywoodSteel
07-20-2014, 07:05 PM
But I'm right more often than not. :)

You probably are. I think there are several things that will most likely contribute to Jones's improvement this year. Like you said, his second year in our system will be the biggest factor. He was lost most of the time out there (which is why rookie LBers rarely start on out team). Obviously we are all hoping for better D-line play which can make or break the play of our LBers. And another helpful factor (I'm hoping) will be having Shazier in there. His speed alone gives us more options and I believe his play will warrant special attention by the opposing offense.

BigNastyDefense
07-20-2014, 08:04 PM
If Jones can get 8 sacks, I'll be happy with his development over the offseason. If he gets more than that, I will be ecstatic about it. I still think he could be one hell of an OLB. I still hope we bring Harrison back if possible, to keep our OLB's fresh, and to replace either Jones or Worilds if one of them doesn't play well. Not to mention, in pass rush situations, we could go to some interesting formations with Harrison/Jones/Worilds/Timmons/Shazier all on the field together.

fansince'76
07-20-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm all for waiting, but I see a serious talent issue with Jones. No bend, lacked strength. Didn't have a repertoire.

I thought the main reason Porter was hired was to teach this kid how to use his hands to shed blockers and not depend solely on a bull rush(?) :noidea: