PDA

View Full Version : Is Antonio Brown too good to leave off punt returns in 2014?

GBMelBlount
07-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Rookie receiver Dri Archer was a premier kick returner in college, but was never tested as a punt returner.

If he is unable to competently reutrn punts this year, and perhaps even if he is, All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown may resume the role.

Despite the inherent risks, Brown may simply be too good not to return punts in 2014.

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/35372786/456910735.0_standard_709.0.jpg

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/Antonio-Brown-may-be-too-good-to-leave-off-punt-returns-in-2014-2-10069754

Psycho Ward 86
07-09-2014, 11:26 PM
To me its more a matter of "are the other potential PR's not going to fuck up?" than "is brown too good of a PR to leave off punt returns?" Mark Kaboly assured us that Dri Archer can catch everything after watching him practice. That's fine and dandy and all, but i dont trust him in a real game time situation to hold onto the ball. 13 fumbles is an awful lot. He needs to prove he can do that in training camp.

However, i say roll the dice on dri as a PR/KR. Im not terribly confident in our offense if antonio brown gets injured on a return.

salamander
07-10-2014, 07:13 AM
As good as AB is at returning kicks, the last thing I want to see is him getting hurt on a return. Like Pyscho said, we're screwed if Brown gets hurt.

tube517
07-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Our experience w/PRs and KRs has been shitty.

Tomlin has had Allen Rossum and Stefan Logan but they didn't last and were let go. He's had big RBs as KRs (Dookie, Russell). He's had his #1 WR as PR (A.Brown and Sandoobio). Willie Reid was Cowher's pick and he was the Bruce Davis of that draft (crap).

I hope Archer can do both KR and PR. Even then, I think Tomlin will still use A.Brown in spot duty, deep in Steelers territory or late in the game.

TMC
07-10-2014, 11:47 AM
The thing about being a punt returner, I am not too worried about average. The key is, how many times can a punt returner flip the field and set your offense up for an easy score? That is what Brown does well. He has a pretty significant number of fair catches, which means he does not take many risks. He never fumbles. When he does catch it, he usually does something good. Last season, he had punt returns of 67, 50, 44, 41, and 40 yards. That is five separate times he flipped the field. The Steelers had 7 games that were within 7 points (2 wins, 5 losses). Not sure when those kick returns happened, but what if his ability to flip the field changed the outcome of just 4 games. That could mean your record could vary from 4-12 to 12-4.

With NFL games often being closely contested, I am not sure you can take away 5 plays of over 40 yards from this team and have them be a contender.

GBMelBlount
07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
The thing about being a punt returner, I am not too worried about average. The key is, how many times can a punt returner flip the field and set your offense up for an easy score? That is what Brown does well. He has a pretty significant number of fair catches, which means he does not take many risks. He never fumbles. When he does catch it, he usually does something good. Last season, he had punt returns of 67, 50, 44, 41, and 40 yards. That is five separate times he flipped the field. The Steelers had 7 games that were within 7 points (2 wins, 5 losses). Not sure when those kick returns happened, but what if his ability to flip the field changed the outcome of just 4 games. That could mean your record could vary from 4-12 to 12-4.

With NFL games often being closely contested, I am not sure you can take away 5 plays of over 40 yards from this team and have them be a contender.

Using him when he is most needed (e.g. - 2nd half, losing a close game) would help maximize his value and minimize risk of injury.

Craic
07-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Using him when he is most needed (e.g. - 2nd half, losing a close game) would help maximize his value and minimize risk of injury.

Bingo.

Use him just like we used Santonio. In key situations, he would go back and return punts. Otherwise, he was our WR. Period. Dri Archer needs to learn. So give him the time to do so.

TMC
07-10-2014, 02:19 PM

The only problem with that is, what if the opportunity for a punt return TD happened in the first quarter? It is not like you can script when they happen and how do you know if the game will be close or if you are losing in the first quarter?

Last season, Brown returned a punt for a TD against the Bengals. It happened in the first quarter. The Steelers were up 14-0 when it happened, stretching the lead to 21-0. So, Brown would not have been in for that return in your scenario. The game ended 30-20. But, with no Brown punt return TD, it would have been 23-20. On the last score, the Bengals went for 2. They would have certainly kicked the XP, making it 23-21 if not for the 10 point lead. Maybe instead of pressing to score twice and throwing on every down (they had the ball with just shy of 4 minutes left), they could have ran/passed and worked it into FG range. That win could have easily been a loss. Just sayin....you cannot judge when the points come off returns, have to take your shots when they are there.

steel striker
07-10-2014, 02:45 PM
I would like to see someone else return the kicks because, like others have mentioned Brown is too valuable of a player to lose on a special teams play. We need him being the number one WR.

Psycho Ward 86
07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
The only problem with that is, what if the opportunity for a punt return TD happened in the first quarter? It is not like you can script when they happen and how do you know if the game will be close or if you are losing in the first quarter?

Last season, Brown returned a punt for a TD against the Bengals. It happened in the first quarter. The Steelers were up 14-0 when it happened, stretching the lead to 21-0. So, Brown would not have been in for that return in your scenario. The game ended 30-20. But, with no Brown punt return TD, it would have been 23-20. On the last score, the Bengals went for 2. They would have certainly kicked the XP, making it 23-21 if not for the 10 point lead. Maybe instead of pressing to score twice and throwing on every down (they had the ball with just shy of 4 minutes left), they could have ran/passed and worked it into FG range. That win could have easily been a loss. Just sayin....you cannot judge when the points come off returns, have to take your shots when they are there.

id rather take that chance than increase the risk of antonio brown being done for the season trying to return a ball. if its crunchtime and no other player on the roster has proven to be a good return man, only then imo is it appropriate to give antonio brown a return opportunity. Some players just have a killer instinct. Its not often you associate words like "clutch" with players outside of quarterbacks, but players like antonio brown and santonio holmes i think can claim that title to a certain degree

Count Steeler
07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I am glad to see that we are optimistic with our defense. Cause there are no punt returns if we don't stop them.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoever performs best in camp should win the role. I'm hoping Archer pays Off on that 3rd round pick.

TMC
07-10-2014, 04:41 PM
id rather take that chance than increase the risk of antonio brown being done for the season trying to return a ball. if its crunchtime and no other player on the roster has proven to be a good return man, only then imo is it appropriate to give antonio brown a return opportunity. Some players just have a killer instinct. Its not often you associate words like "clutch" with players outside of quarterbacks, but players like antonio brown and santonio holmes i think can claim that title to a certain degree

So, you would rather put inferior players on the field and potentially take losses, than to play your best players?

Sorry, I cannot agree with that one. If Brown returning kicks gives you the chance at 5 more touchdowns a season and nobody else is even close to his level of talent, I cannot pass up on the potential for an extra 2 points per game.

Is there a potential for injury? Sure. In games where the Steelers are losing by 14 or more and everyone knows they are going to pass, there is a greater potential for Ben to get hit and sacks. I do not bench him then either. If I trust Brown enough, then I trust his ability to judge when not to make the fair catch and when to make it and protect himself.

GBMelBlount
07-10-2014, 07:13 PM
If Brown returning kicks gives you the chance at 5 more touchdowns a season and nobody else is even close to his level of talent, I cannot pass up on the potential for an extra 2 points per game.

Fair enough.

Still it sounds like you could understand the logic of sharing the load IF we have another returner who is good....or even just "average" perhaps...

Psycho Ward 86
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
So, you would rather put inferior players on the field and potentially take losses, than to play your best players?

Sorry, I cannot agree with that one. If Brown returning kicks gives you the chance at 5 more touchdowns a season and nobody else is even close to his level of talent, I cannot pass up on the potential for an extra 2 points per game.

Is there a potential for injury? Sure. In games where the Steelers are losing by 14 or more and everyone knows they are going to pass, there is a greater potential for Ben to get hit and sacks. I do not bench him then either. If I trust Brown enough, then I trust his ability to judge when not to make the fair catch and when to make it and protect himself.

If the combination of antonio brown's return ability combined with our punt blocking unit showed an actual propensity to get us that many extra TD's a season, then yes, i would be very inclined to agree with you. However, i dont see what has changed so much from last season to this offseason that would make me believe that.

Im not all that worried about the extra injury risks. I would just prefer a scenario where we have an awesome KR/PR (come on Dri, dont let us down) and antonio brown can just focus on being a receiver. After all, if guys like patrick peterson are also doing the same and it works, hey why not.

TMC
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM
If the combination of antonio brown's return ability combined with our punt blocking unit showed an actual propensity to get us that many extra TD's a season, then yes, i would be very inclined to agree with you. However, i dont see what has changed so much from last season to this offseason that would make me believe that.

Im not all that worried about the extra injury risks. I would just prefer a scenario where we have an awesome KR/PR (come on Dri, dont let us down) and antonio brown can just focus on being a receiver. After all, if guys like patrick peterson are also doing the same and it works, hey why not.

I went back through Brown's returns last season, looking at those returns over 10 yards. Here are the returns and what happened in the following drive:

40 yard return to the Cincy 34. FG
18 yard return to Pitt 40. TD.
44 yard return to Oak 31. INT
24 yard return to NE 46. TD.
24 yard return to Pitt 42. TD
50 yard return to Buff 11. FG
14 yard return to Pitt 48. TD
67 yard return for a TD.
11 yard return to Cincy 47. TD.
41 yards to GB 48. Punt.

So, that is 48 points after Brown returns. He had one muff that I saw that he recovered. No fumbles. Did not see any negative plays. Again, my point is, if the new returner cannot generate that type of field position that lead to points, I think it is a mistake to replace a weapon. I mean, shit, if returns are valued enough to spend a 3rd round pick, shouldn't they be valued enough to put your best on the field?

Count Steeler
07-11-2014, 06:09 AM
I went back through Brown's returns last season, looking at those returns over 10 yards. Here are the returns and what happened in the following drive:

40 yard return to the Cincy 34. FG
18 yard return to Pitt 40. TD.
44 yard return to Oak 31. INT
24 yard return to NE 46. TD.
24 yard return to Pitt 42. TD
50 yard return to Buff 11. FG
14 yard return to Pitt 48. TD
67 yard return for a TD.
11 yard return to Cincy 47. TD.
41 yards to GB 48. Punt.

So, that is 48 points after Brown returns. He had one muff that I saw that he recovered. No fumbles. Did not see any negative plays. Again, my point is, if the new returner cannot generate that type of field position that lead to points, I think it is a mistake to replace a weapon. I mean, shit, if returns are valued enough to spend a 3rd round pick, shouldn't they be valued enough to put your best on the field?

It appears that the FO would like to supplant Brown and hopefully Archer or DHB can step up. If not, the Steelers would be foolish not to have Brown returning punts.

steelreserve
07-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Yes, definitely have him return punts. The idea that returning kicks exposes you more to injury is a myth. They've done studies on injury rate by position, and wide receiver is by far the most dangerous one. In fact, you get injured more than twice as much at WR as on special teams.

http://www.exra.org/FB89.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22821941

Anecdotally, what I notice about kick and punt returns is that you see a lot of OTHER players get hurt blocking and tackling, but rarely is it the return man himself. Go ahead and use Brown; he's actually safer returning kicks, and we know he doesn't fumble a lot.

vader29
07-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Rod Woodson returned kicks and punts with the Steelers up until his injury in 1995, so if Antonio is their best choice at returner at the end of training camp I don't see any reason why they wouldn't let him still be the man.