PDA

View Full Version : Numbers Crunch: Steelers Average Age by Position

GBMelBlount
07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
We appear to have a LOT of young contributors.

Yet we may also have more older ones than most other teams.

Is this because of some bad draft classes in between?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/07/numbers-crunch-steelers-average-age-position/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Chidi29
07-05-2014, 01:13 PM
I know that guy....

:bananalama:

stillers4me
07-05-2014, 01:27 PM
I know that guy....

:applaudit:

I guess if we suck this year it will be because we are too young. :lol:

tube517
07-05-2014, 01:33 PM
I know that guy....

A fine article by that guy.

A funny comment by toonasteel :chuckle:

Chidi29
07-05-2014, 01:42 PM
I just want to say how much I love that banana lama smiley. It's terrific.

salamander
07-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I didn't realize just how young we had gotten...

By the way, that Alex fellow does some nice work. We should have him become a member of the board. :chuckle:

This one's for you, Chidi.... :bananalama:

Chidi29
07-05-2014, 10:39 PM
:bananalama::bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama:

Just one quick side note on the study. The numbers could rise slightly in a couple areas since some players will be cut. Some of the young guys that are keeping the numbers down a little bit, especially with a reduced sample size come the final roster. But I don't see it being anything significant.

GBMelBlount
07-05-2014, 10:46 PM
:bananalama::bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama: :bananalama:

Just one quick side note on the study. The numbers could rise slightly in a couple areas since some players will be cut. Some of the young guys that are keeping the numbers down a little bit, especially with a reduced sample size come the final roster. But I don't see it being anything significant.

Good point.

I would also be interested in knowing the average age of our starters vs. the rest of the league later on.

Chidi29
07-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Good point.

I would also be interested in knowing the average age of our starters vs. the rest of the league later on.

That's always the rub and the thing I preach all the time about stats. They're all relative and to get a good understanding of what is a "good" or "bad" stat, you have to have a comparison. I just didn't have the time or really competency (knowing who to include in the study) to do something league-wide.

But yes. Everything is relative! If the numbers stand alone, they can be very misleading.

GBMelBlount
07-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Completely understand.

Still, it is fun to put numbers out there, break them down, explain them, compare them, theorize and debate them.

It's also amazing how people can look at the same stats and 'splain'em away entirely different ways.

Good work Chidi.

Chidi29
07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
What's the old Mark Twain quote? Stats are used the way the drunkard uses a lightpost. For support, not illumination.

Mojouw
07-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I wonder what the numbers look like for SB teams. Kinda feels like only 2 types of teams win the championship, relatively young teams on the rise (Seahawks last year) and then older teams that make one last run (Ravens a few years ago). No idea if that is actually true, just a thought that seemed relevant.