PDA

View Full Version : 2014 scenarios: Steelers record 45 sacks

GBMelBlount
07-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Scenario: The Pittsburgh Steelers record 45 sacks as a team in 2014.

Why it will happen: Much talk will be given towards the linebackers and a result of the speed at that position as a reason why this team will increase it's sack totals from 2013, but the real answer lies within the defensive line. Look back at some of the great Steelers defenses that racked up sacks like it was just another walk in the park and you had a dominant line to lead the way.

The Steelers hope to get contributions all around along that defensive line. Rookie Stephon Tuitt will be asked to do more than just suit up, and him along side Cam Heyward could be a great combination if Tuitt can settle into the pro game.

If that defensive line holds up, then it will be the linebackers that will reap the benefits. With Jarvis Jones having a full season of game experience under his belt, he can be expected to be more of a playmaker than he was in 2013, although that would't take much after a dismal rookie season. Jason Worilds being on his more natural pass rush side should flourish there as he finished 2013.

http://www.chatsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/a/2014-Steelers-season-scenarios-Steelers-record-45-sacks-as-a-team-2-10052577

polamalubeast
07-04-2014, 07:39 PM
I would be shocked if it happens

steelreserve
07-04-2014, 08:59 PM
The Steelers hope to get contributions all around along that defensive line. Rookie Stephon Tuitt will be asked to do more than just suit up, and him along side Cam Heyward could be a great combination if Tuitt can settle into the pro game.

Overlooked: no nose tackle. That's been a big problem for three or four years, and it's going to be a big problem again.

Of course, this is looking better than having no nose tackle and also no DE on one side, but still. We don't even know if Tuitt will play much right away. Crawl walk run.

Psycho Ward 86
07-04-2014, 09:17 PM
im gonna say 47 sacks

Worilds: 11
Jones: 8
Heyward: 7
Shazier: 4
Timmons: 3
Mitchell: 3
Polamalu: 2
Mclendon: 2
Moats: 2
C.Thomas: 1
S.Thomas: 1
Gay: 1
Tuitt: 1
Keisel: 1

Steelerette
07-04-2014, 10:00 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3612787/9.jpg

Steeldude
07-05-2014, 05:55 AM
I predict about 28-34 sacks as a team. I have a bad feeling that Jones will be a flop. All remains to be seen.

st33lersguy
07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
45 sacks is definitely obtainable and likely if Shazier proves to be an effective blitzer and Jones improves in year 2

steelreserve
07-05-2014, 06:39 PM
im gonna say 47 sacks

Those all seem like a bit much. I mean, maybe if Jones figures things out this year he could make it. Worilds I have a bad feeling he'll get 5 or 6 sacks then pick up a nagging injury, but get a big contract somewhere else anyway as "an impact player for the first half of the season when he was healthy." Heyward is good, but for a 3-4 DE, 7 sacks is a ridiculous total. Aaron Smith in a good year is the only one I can think of who was capable of that. I think Kimo might have done it once when he had a career year. That's tough.

GBMelBlount
07-05-2014, 06:59 PM
I at least think we will have more sacks this year.

salamander
07-05-2014, 09:04 PM
More sacks would definitely be nice to see.

zulater
07-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm more interested in turnovers. Force more turnovers win games.

Psycho Ward 86
07-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Those all seem like a bit much. I mean, maybe if Jones figures things out this year he could make it. Worilds I have a bad feeling he'll get 5 or 6 sacks then pick up a nagging injury, but get a big contract somewhere else anyway as "an impact player for the first half of the season when he was healthy." Heyward is good, but for a 3-4 DE, 7 sacks is a ridiculous total. Aaron Smith in a good year is the only one I can think of who was capable of that. I think Kimo might have done it once when he had a career year. That's tough.

youre probably right. heres the way i see it. as hard as it is to believe, worilds has actually barely missed any actual games due to injury. and i expect him to go balls to the walls for a big contract. ive been saying for a while now that cameron heyward is our next budding superstar and i stand by that statement. 7 is definitely a lot for a 3-4 DE, but Lebeau talked last season about using our DE's more for pass rushing than he usually does and to me, it showed. Cam managed 5 sacks in 13 starts and i think he'll get better with his 2nd year of starting. Jarvis Jones for me is the biggest shoot in the dark i came up in. i think he's very capable of a cameron jordan-type turnaround. He just needs a little more time and the right coaching. The latter of which he has plenty of.

Steeldude
07-06-2014, 03:12 AM

I believe Ray Seals had 8.5 sacks.

tube517
07-06-2014, 08:39 AM

This. Since 2011, turnovers have been way down.

Bluecoat96
07-06-2014, 10:45 AM
im gonna say 47 sacks

What about Heyward?

LLT
07-06-2014, 12:11 PM
I believe Ray Seals had 8.5 sacks.

Seals was a stud....he had 24 sacks in three years. 8.5 in '93....7.0 in '94....and 8.5 in '95.

Smith had over 8.0 sacks twice...in 2001 and in 2004.

Kimo had 8.0 sacks in 2003

Mojouw
07-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Agreed. However, since it is hard to talk about pressure, sacks are not a bad predictable stat. Sacks mean pressure and for this defense, pressure is what has led to turnovers.

I want to see the return of odd defensive fronts that other teams have never seen before, I want to see blitzers steaming into the backfield untouched because the offense had no idea where they were coming from, and I want to see QB's so harried by pressure all game long that they start doing dumb things with the football.

Hopefully the revamping of the defense and the dissapointment of two consectuvive crap seasons will force the Steelers to re-think things a bit.

Chidi29
07-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Heyward had five last year. With another year under his belt and the luxury of entering the season as the full-time starter instead of Week 6, though the snaps probably won't jump too much higher, 7-8 is attainable. The guy is a stud.

Psycho Ward 86
07-06-2014, 01:31 PM
cam heyward will be the surprise breakout player of the steelers, mark it down. he doesnt get nearly enough love

Chidi29
07-06-2014, 01:45 PM
To me, he broke at last year. Steelers' fan know (or should know) about him. This year, he'll build on it and the whole league will know about him.

Psycho Ward 86
07-06-2014, 02:52 PM
To me, he broke at last year. Steelers' fan know (or should know) about him. This year, he'll build on it and the whole league will know about him.

i agree, but he doesnt seem to be getting the recognition. The only kinds of words i hear used to describe him are things like "solid player"....lol

Chidi29
07-06-2014, 06:29 PM
i agree, but he doesnt seem to be getting the recognition. The only kinds of words i hear used to describe him are things like "solid player"....lol

They'll find out this year. Hard to ignore him when he's always in the backfield.

jb500ex
07-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Heyward is going to lead the team in sacks his year

Jaucer
07-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Agreed. However, since it is hard to talk about pressure, sacks are not a bad predictable stat. Sacks mean pressure and for this defense, pressure is what has led to turnovers.

I want to see the return of odd defensive fronts that other teams have never seen before, I want to see blitzers steaming into the backfield untouched because the offense had no idea where they were coming from, and I want to see QB's so harried by pressure all game long that they start doing dumb things with the football.

Hopefully the revamping of the defense and the dissapointment of two consectuvive crap seasons will force the Steelers to re-think things a bit.

I think we will see exactly that. The opposing team so confused because they have no idea where anyone is coming from. The additions of Mitchell and Shazier creates that. The speed they now have makes it possible for them to bring it from anywhere on the field without sacrificing coverage. Hell even Lebaeu was quoted as devising new plays at the moment they knew they were getting Shazier.

X-Terminator
07-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Heyward is going to lead the team in sacks his year

Personal feelings aside, I think this is a distinct possibility. Heyward is that good, and I'm not sold on either Worilds or Jones.