PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Dri Archer expects to play 'big role' for Steelers

GBMelBlount
07-03-2014, 05:48 AM
If we know anything about this year's Pittsburgh Steelers, it's this: Speed will set them apart from last year's incarnation.

First-round pick Ryan Shazier hits the scene as the fastest linebacker to enter the NFL since Brian Urlacher, while third-rounder Dri Archer gives the Black and Gold an offensive X-factor who rattled off the combine's top 40 time (4.26) and is expected to be used creatively in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's scheme.

"It's going to be a big role, Archer said, per the Akron Beacon Journal, "but I'm just going to do whatever I'm asked to do. Play receiver, play running back, helping special teams. Whatever they want me to do, I'm going to do it."

Unpacking Archer's role on the Around the League Podcast, we struggle to see him eating up significant snaps at running back or receiver out of the gate. He's an immediate threat, though, to flame teams as a kick-returning freak of nature:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362997/article/rookie-dri-archer-expects-to-play-big-role-for-steelers

steelreserve
07-03-2014, 11:34 AM
If we know anything about this year's Pittsburgh Steelers, it's this: Speed will set them apart from last year's incarnation.

First-round pick Ryan Shazier hits the scene as the fastest linebacker to enter the NFL since Brian Urlacher, while third-rounder Dri Archer gives the Black and Gold an offensive X-factor who rattled off the combine's top 40 time (4.26) and is expected to be used creatively in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's scheme.

Creatively, I think that's the key. You can be as fast as you want, but if you don't have the skills to be an every-down player - which is likely the case with Archer - then creative is the only way you're going to make a difference. Seems like as of right now, he'll make a shitty RB and a shitty receiver, but man, could he throw people for a loop on surprise plays. Am hoping we'll see a few reverses or laterals or other such nonsense that goes for big plays.

Yeah, there's the kick-return aspect, but I'm less excited about that. Two-thirds of the kickoffs go out of the end zone, and the rest get run back from 8 yards deep, and on any good one there's a block in the back.

Mojouw
07-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Creatively, I think that's the key. You can be as fast as you want, but if you don't have the skills to be an every-down player - which is likely the case with Archer - then creative is the only way you're going to make a difference. Seems like as of right now, he'll make a shitty RB and a shitty receiver, but man, could he throw people for a loop on surprise plays. Am hoping we'll see a few reverses or laterals or other such nonsense that goes for big plays.

Yeah, there's the kick-return aspect, but I'm less excited about that. Two-thirds of the kickoffs go out of the end zone, and the rest get run back from 8 yards deep, and on any good one there's a block in the back.

They have to have him find a way to contribute on "standard" plays from traditional formations for that tricky/surprise stuff to work. If Archer can only contribute as a highly specialized player then the entire defense will simply either shout "screen" or "reverse" based on where he lines up. That means Archer is going to get stuffed more often than not or serve as a bright shiny decoy.

I really hope the Steelers offensive brain trust can be clever enough to use him in a manner similar to Randall Cobb of the Packers. Although Cobb has 2 inches and 20 lbs on Archer, there is no reason they can't be similar players. Cobb was able to learn enough of the Green Bay offense to be a contributor of "splash" plays out of some regular formations. Keeps the defense guessing.

I guess we will all see once the pads go on in a couple of weeks. I shudder to think what is going to happen if Tomlin puts Archer through the traditional backs on 'backers drill.

steelreserve
07-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Well, I hope he can contribute normally, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely he gets a couple gimmick plays a game and lines up as a decoy on 5 others. Then has one rush for no gain and a couple incomplete passes where he didn't get separation. The best we can hope for is the fake-reverse fleaflicker; that's where it's at.

I still really am having trouble understanding why we took this guy with a relatively high pick.

Jaucer
07-03-2014, 07:37 PM
It doesn't need to be gimmick plays nor really normal plays for him to be a big contributor. It really comes down to using him on about 40-50% of the plays he is in on. That keeps the defense guessing. It doesn't matter if all the plays he gets are reverses, scenes, etc. For instance if they give it to him on a sweep with AB fake reversing only half the time they run the play then who does the defense cover. It keeps half the defense on each side of the field which should be great for whichever one of them keeps the ball. Then on a few others you give it back to Ben to throw, wow look out. As it was said it's all about creativity and causing confusion/mismatches. The biggest part of it will be Ben's ability to read the defensive coverage when he is in the game and making the correct audible to exploit it.

steelerdude15
07-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I think Dri will have the same role as Chris Rainey, but will be more effective and be able to go farther because of his speed.