PDA

View Full Version : Pete Prisco Believes Steelers Lacked Great Receivers Last Season

polamalubeast
07-02-2014, 12:34 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/07/pete-prisco-believes-steelers-lacked-great-receivers-last-season/

tube517
07-02-2014, 12:53 PM
:yawn:

TMC
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Outside of Antonio Brown, did they have any great receivers? What would you pay for a great receiver? I think Brown's contract is looking like a bargain, so say a great receiver is worth $8M a season.

Would you give that to Sanders? Would you even get close? What about Cotchery? Any of the guys behind Brown?

Some will view that as a slam. It is not. The Steelers had a group of versatile players that was much better at moving the chains than they were at burning defenses. Alone, only Brown has the goods to be considered above average. I am not stating he is just above average, I am simply stating that the rest of the WRs would not even get out of the average category.

They are what they are. It is why the WR group could be much better now. They have some young guys in Wheaton and Bryant that athletically have the potential to be really good players. Not stating they are there, but they could be.

polamalubeast
07-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Outside of Antonio Brown, did they have any great receivers? What would you pay for a great receiver? I think Brown's contract is looking like a bargain, so say a great receiver is worth $8M a season.

Would you give that to Sanders? Would you even get close? What about Cotchery? Any of the guys behind Brown?

Some will view that as a slam. It is not. The Steelers had a group of versatile players that was much better at moving the chains than they were at burning defenses. Alone, only Brown has the goods to be considered above average. I am not stating he is just above average, I am simply stating that the rest of the WRs would not even get out of the average category.

They are what they are. It is why the WR group could be much better now. They have some young guys in Wheaton and Bryant that athletically have the potential to be really good players. Not stating they are there, but they could be.

But it is ridiculous to say as if AB was just good because of the system.....Brown was very good in 2011 under Bruce Arians

Mojouw
07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
But it is ridiculous to say as if AB was just good because of the system.....Brown was very good in 2011 under Bruce Arians

Brown will always get some hate because of his size. He doesn't look like what the NFL currently considers a #1 WR to look like. Brown looks like a guy who should be playing in the slot. Kind of like Welker, Cruz, Harvin, etc. All these guys can and do catch a ton of balls, make plays, etc but are viewed as best paired with a "true #1 WR on the outside".

Not saying I agree, but that is going to be the story.

tube517
07-02-2014, 02:44 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10464288_10202232143832736_3303716169147924642_n.j pg

TMC
07-02-2014, 03:46 PM

I did not read it like that. Here is how I read it, each excerpt:

"He didn't have great receivers last season and his line is perpetually a mess. But all he does is make plays."

Receivers is plural. So, to me, that states he did not have great receivers (more than one). Did he? Is Sanders great? Is Cotchery great? So, if you believe to your core that Brown is a great receiver, it still means he did not have more than one. I think to take it otherwise is looking to defend a stance that was not made. Just my take on it.

The second part:
"With Mike Wallace gone to Miami, he emerged as a true No. 1 receiver last season, catching 105 passes with eight touchdowns.
AFC personnel man on Brown: "A good player who is a really nice No. 2. Alone, he does not scare you that much, but he fits the scheme in Pittsburgh very well."

Prisco calls Brown a true No. 1. Not just good, but a #1 WR. Now, I do not see Brown as elite. As Mojouw states, he will always get some hate because of his size and good, not elite, speed. He is not a guy that is going to line up and beat a CB deep on a consistent basis (with athleticism) like Wallace, Fitz, Megatron, Andre Johnson, AJ Greene, Julio Jones, and the like. He just does not. That is not taking anything away from Brown. The AFC guy is underselling him as a #2 though, because he is a little better than really nice, maybe the best #2 WR in the NFL because he is so talented, he carries his team as the top WR. But, Brown would be better with Wallace on the other side (or a guy like him). If you put Brown on a team with Megatron, Fitz, etc, in essence, stacked an elite type WR opposite him, he becomes infinitely better. It is why I am hoping that Bryant becomes that type of player. If you can move him to Wallace's old position and he can pull the safety, then you have Brown, Miller, and the slot WR just wearing out the rest of the defense.

I guess I just do not see the uproar. The AFC guy undersells Brown some, but Prisco calls him a #1 WR. Hard to see how that is a slam. We still did not have multiple WRs that were above average. We had one.

fansince'76
07-02-2014, 03:52 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10464288_10202232143832736_3303716169147924642_n.j pg

Yes, but will he jump for a pass if it comes in high? :chuckle:

fansince'76
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM
WR is probably the most overvalued (and overpaid) position in the NFL, especially when it comes to the "elite" talents at the position (who are more often than not also a huge drain on their respective team's cap number).

Case in point: how many rings does Calvin Johnson have? Fitz? AJ Green? Brandon Marshall? Julio Jones? Think the Dolphins are regretting that $60 million deal they gave Wallace?

Making a few highlight reel plays here and there due to their amazing athleticism doesn't really matter much at the end of the day when the majority of the rest of their team basically sucks primarily because they alone are eating up almost one sixth of their team's cap space.

tube517
07-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Yes, but will he jump for a pass if it comes in high? :chuckle:

If he has to fight Ben for it, yeah. :chuckle: