PDA

View Full Version : Keisel a likely August re-sign.

zulater
07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2014/6/30/5856572/steelers-sign-brett-keisel-minimum-salary-benefit-clause-rules-cba-2011-roster-2014

The former locker of Brett Keisel remains unoccupied within the Steelers' facility.

His No. 99 is not adorned to the chest and back of any other player.

It could be a coincidence. No one may have wanted the No. 99. Perhaps the locker has issues with mold or something else rendering it uninhabitable.

Such notions are about as realistic as prediction of Tyrod Taylor being named NFL MVP this season.

Salary cap this, draft picks that, there are specific and tangible reasons why the Steelers haven't issued Keisel's number or had a new player occupy his locker. They not only have failed to close the door on Keisel's 11 year career, it's as if they expect the longtime starting right side defensive end to come back for season No. 12.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................

Clearly, the Steelers are valuing the presence of a veteran leader in the defensive ends meetings. They may even save money in doing it.

The Minimum Salary Benefit (MSB), a clause added to the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement, means the Steelers could, potentially, sign Keisel to a one-year contract for the veteran minimum amount for his level of tenure ($955,000) along with a $65,000 signing bonus, and have it count as $570,000 against the 2014 salary cap.

Shoes
07-01-2014, 09:14 PM
One more season with Keisel would be very helpfully to the team. Hope it works out.

SteelerFanInStl
07-01-2014, 10:42 PM
I'd love to see him back for one final year. He still played pretty well last year.

GBMelBlount
07-01-2014, 10:48 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2014/6/30/5856572/steelers-sign-brett-keisel-minimum-salary-benefit-clause-rules-cba-2011-roster-2014

His No. 99 is not adorned to the chest and back of any other player.

It could be a coincidence.

or not....

https://tpzoo.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/agent-99.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
07-01-2014, 10:59 PM
the thing that concerns me about keisel coming back is how in the fuck is stephon tuitt ever going to hit the field. I want some of these rookies to learn by experience too you know. Cam Heyward is a lock to start. Cam Thomas is all but certain to start. Keisel would probably be the top backup, and then tuitt. I guess we dont know what we have in Cam Thomas but im on the fence about this one

Shoes
07-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Maybe Keisel and Tuitt would split playing time. I suppose it depends on how well Tuitt does in August.

Steeldude
07-01-2014, 11:49 PM
I would rather see Harrison re-signed.

Psycho Ward 86
07-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Maybe Keisel and Tuitt would split playing time. I suppose it depends on how well Tuitt does in August.

with who? Cam Thomas? tuitt probably benefits the least from that. Cam Heyward is our best DE and its not even remotely close. He should never be coming off the field

Randy06
07-02-2014, 01:12 AM
I would rather see him not brought back. It hurts, but we need to continue this youth movement.

GBMelBlount
07-02-2014, 05:00 AM
I would rather see him not brought back. It hurts, but we need to continue this youth movement.

If we bring him back we can still give the younger players the majority of playing time.

I see the positives as mentoring and insurance.

Pristas
07-02-2014, 05:15 AM
I would rather see Harrison re-signed.
I agree. I'd bet money that Harrison would have more sacks/pressures than Jones or Worilds this year. He is healthy and has a nose for the QB.

zulater
07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
If we bring him back we can still give the younger players the majority of playing time.

I see the positives as mentoring and insurance.

That's the way I see it too. If they resign Brett he'll know his job will be partially to mentor Tuitt. He doesn't come across as a resentful, selfish type player. I think he just wants to end his career with the team he started with.
Also notice he hasn't actively pursued a job with another team. I get the sense there's been a gentlemen's agreement in place between Keisel and the team the whole while.

salamander
07-02-2014, 06:46 AM
If we bring him back then awesome. If we don't then so be it. It won't bother me either way.

zulater
07-02-2014, 06:46 AM
I agree. I'd bet money that Harrison would have more sacks/pressures than Jones or Worilds this year. He is healthy and has a nose for the QB.

He's healthy now, but recent history shows that likely wont last long into the season. Harrison's body is breaking down. That's why he's having trouble finding a job.

Chidi29
07-02-2014, 11:17 AM
the thing that concerns me about keisel coming back is how in the fuck is stephon tuitt ever going to hit the field. I want some of these rookies to learn by experience too you know. Cam Heyward is a lock to start. Cam Thomas is all but certain to start. Keisel would probably be the top backup, and then tuitt. I guess we dont know what we have in Cam Thomas but im on the fence about this one

Still plenty of snaps to go around. None of those three could be expected to play full-time snaps like Heyward, upwards of 800. Let's say you have 1000 snaps in all. I think this defense would like to be in base 60% of the time, 40% in subpackage. Give 250 to Keisel, 250 to Tuitt, keeping guys fresh and not overwhelmed. Thomas gets the other 100 in base. Throw in another 200-ish for Tuitt in subpackage and that's 450, maybe 500 max. Respectable number for him and you won't burn him out, jeopardizing him or the team.

Remember, Tuitt turned 21 less than two months ago. He's young, even by a rookie's standards. Heyward barely played his rookie year. There's a process to it. Doesn't mean he should ride the pine for all 16 games but you don't give him 800 snaps.

We really need to sign Keisel because if you don't, how do the snaps get split up? You're either overworking Tuitt or exposing Thomas to too many snaps. He's a one tech, not a five. That's what he did at San Diego. Only kicked to end because he got benched.

And there's no depth to speak of. Zilch. So weak.

salamander
07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Still plenty of snaps to go around. None of those three could be expected to play full-time snaps like Heyward, upwards of 800. Let's say you have 1000 snaps in all. I think this defense would like to be in base 60% of the time, 40% in subpackage. Give 250 to Keisel, 250 to Tuitt, keeping guys fresh and not overwhelmed. Thomas gets the other 100 in base. Throw in another 200-ish for Tuitt in subpackage and that's 450, maybe 500 max. Respectable number for him and you won't burn him out, jeopardizing him or the team.

Remember, Tuitt turned 21 less than two months ago. He's young, even by a rookie's standards. Heyward barely played his rookie year. There's a process to it. Doesn't mean he should ride the pine for all 16 games but you don't give him 800 snaps.

We really need to sign Keisel because if you don't, how do the snaps get split up? You're either overworking Tuitt or exposing Thomas to too many snaps. He's a one tech, not a five. That's what he did at San Diego. Only kicked to end because he got benched.

I like when Chidi steps in. :thumbsup:

Mojouw
07-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Kiesel hasn't signed with the Steelers or anyone else because based on all of the previous reports he wants too much money.

Said he wouldn't play for the vet minimum and I thought I read he wanted $3 million to put the pads back on.

He won't get that here or anywhere else. It will all come down to how much Kiesel misses football later in the summer.

steelreserve
07-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Is there any possibility that we signed Thomas not exclusively as a DE, but to split time between DE and NT, or maybe to be the interim NT if he beats out McLendon? The official roster lists Thomas' position as DT, and other than McCullers, who probably won't play much if at all this year, we don't really have much in the way of depth there. I also don't think we signed Thomas to a $4M contract to be the backup who never plays, so I hope they have a better plan than 100 snaps as a rotational DE. Anyway, with that possibility in particular, there would be plenty of snaps to go around, especially when you consider that someone's going to be banged up at virtually all times.

By the way, was there anything at all in the article to indicate something had moved with Keisel's situation? It looked to me like it was just the writer being super-excited while explaining the salary cap rules for veterans on minimum contracts. Last I heard, negotiations with Keisel were stuck, and the main reason was he wasn't sure he wanted to play for the minimum, and I don't see any indication that's changed. Much ado about nothing.

Chidi29
07-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Is there any possibility that we signed Thomas not exclusively as a DE, but to split time between DE and NT, or maybe to be the interim NT if he beats out McLendon? The official roster lists Thomas' position as DT, and other than McCullers, who probably won't play much if at all this year, we don't really have much in the way of depth there. I also don't think we signed Thomas to a $4M contract to be the backup who never plays, so I hope they have a better plan than 100 snaps as a rotational DE. Anyway, with that possibility in particular, there would be plenty of snaps to go around, especially when you consider that someone's going to be banged up at virtually all times.

By the way, was there anything at all in the article to indicate something had moved with Keisel's situation? It looked to me like it was just the writer being super-excited while explaining the salary cap rules for veterans on minimum contracts. Last I heard, negotiations with Keisel were stuck, and the main reason was he wasn't sure he wanted to play for the minimum, and I don't see any indication that's changed. Much ado about nothing.

While I do believe Thomas will log some snaps at NT, very unlikely he becomes a starter. He's slow off the line and struggles working down the flow versus ZBS schemes. He's got some more upper body strength than McLendon and could play more against power schemes.

He's only on the books for 1.5 million this year so it's not like there's huge money sitting on the bench. He will get to play at NT though. So ideally, you're looking at 175 snaps (though I suspect he'll get more than that, the team seems higher on him than I am) in the base scheme. Steelers do rotate heavily so even though Thomas offers nothing as a pass rusher, he'll probably get 25-50 snaps in subpackage throughout the year. In all, there's 200-225 snaps, which I'd be comfortable with. That's Al Woods territory.

His market hasn't changed. It's ice cold and that's going to be the driving factor that brings his price down.

steelreserve
07-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I was never too excited about the Thomas signing either, but it seemed as if he was more suited to being a mediocre NT, and makes a below-average DE. Would've been simpler to just re-sign Woods, who I believe left for the same amount of money we gave Thomas.

As far as Keisel's market, I don't think there's any doubt it's the minimum or nothing for him. The veteran minimum benefit makes it even more so - if you increase to a slightly better offer like $1.2M or $1.5M, then you're eating those extra dollars 2-for-1 against the cap compared to the minimum offer. I will bet you anything the veteran minimum salary benefit gets a good raking-over in the next CBA. It was put in place with the good intention of helping veterans land a job for an extra season or two at the end of their careers ... but it probably takes everything between $1M-$2M off the table, and means the only deal a lot of guys get is going to be a minimum offer. Interesting to see what happens with that. My guess is they'll enact, or at least propose, a straight credit of $200-$400K for each veteran player depending on experience, not just tied to minimum contracts. Seems like the logical way to do it.

As stated earlier in the thread, this probably ends up coming down to whether Keisel really wants to play football or not.

Chidi29
07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Agreed. It's a money thing. If the asking price comes down, I think he'll be re-signed.

Mojouw
07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I was never too excited about the Thomas signing either, but it seemed as if he was more suited to being a mediocre NT, and makes a below-average DE. Would've been simpler to just re-sign Woods, who I believe left for the same amount of money we gave Thomas.

As far as Keisel's market, I don't think there's any doubt it's the minimum or nothing for him. The veteran minimum benefit makes it even more so - if you increase to a slightly better offer like $1.2M or $1.5M, then you're eating those extra dollars 2-for-1 against the cap compared to the minimum offer. I will bet you anything the veteran minimum salary benefit gets a good raking-over in the next CBA. It was put in place with the good intention of helping veterans land a job for an extra season or two at the end of their careers ... but it probably takes everything between $1M-$2M off the table, and means the only deal a lot of guys get is going to be a minimum offer. Interesting to see what happens with that.

As stated earlier in the thread, this probably ends up coming down to whether Keisel really wants to play football or not.

Don't think we ever had a hope of resigning Woods. Even though the dollars were the same or similar between Pittsburgh and Tennessee, I think he left to go be a penetrating DT rather than a space eating blocker absorber. I feel that Woods left to pursue a different defensive role and a chance to start. Two things that were not going to happen with the Steelers.

steelreserve
07-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Don't think we ever had a hope of resigning Woods. Even though the dollars were the same or similar between Pittsburgh and Tennessee, I think he left to go be a penetrating DT rather than a space eating blocker absorber. I feel that Woods left to pursue a different defensive role and a chance to start. Two things that were not going to happen with the Steelers.

That's a good point.

If he continued to play at his best, I do think Woods was good enough to win the starting job, though you're right, it was far from a sure thing. And if it was a job he wasn't very interested in to begin with, well, that's a tough sell. Too bad, though.

Chidi29
07-02-2014, 01:52 PM
That's a good point.

If he continued to play at his best, I do think Woods was good enough to win the starting job, though you're right, it was far from a sure thing. And if it was a job he wasn't very interested in to begin with, well, that's a tough sell. Too bad, though.

Well it sucks for Woods because the Titans have made the switch to a 3-4 though it's supposed to be a more one-gap, penetrating one like what Dallas has run. We'll see.

Same thing with Ziggy Hood. Had value for the team but why would he want to play here? 5 tech not his natural position. Go to Seattle to play the 3 under Gus Bradley. Hood didn't even get a signing bonus. That's how much getting to play his natural position meant.

Shoes
07-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Well said Chidi!

zulater
08-19-2014, 08:15 PM
told ya lol

Shoes
08-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Good call Zu…I'm pleased with this move.