PDA

View Full Version : Neat story on Nick Eason

Wallace108
08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Here's a neat story on Nick Eason from my local paper.
------

By Todd Franko
The Vindicator

How does a football field, at 300 feet long and 160 feet wide, become a mile?

You watch big-hearted Steelers defensive lineman Nick Eason become an impromptu tour guide for Girard’s Hunter Crites — and hang on for the ride.

It was one mile of back and forth and zig and zag and up hills.

It was 30 minutes of huffing and puffing, and cheers from fans who caught on to Eason’s heartfelt act.

And it was a memory of a lifetime for Hunter — a frontman of sorts for Easter Seals of Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana Counties. This past year, he produced some tear-shedding moments when he was able to walk without his crutches at the Easter Seals Spring Fashion Show.

Last week, a few folks from the Mahoning Valley conspired to surprise Hunter — a big Steelers fan — with a trip to Steelers training camp. It stayed a secret until Hunter arrived in the Latrobe, Pa., parking lot Monday with his mom, Stephanie, and aunt, Julie, in tow.

Training camp is regimented for the players. So it goes, too, for special guests. Stand here, go there, don’t approach the players, stay behind this line, etc.

For the two-hour practice, Hunter had a nice experience, the highlight of which was linebacker James Farrior giving him some Gatorade.

When a practice ends, the players roam — they stay for extra drills, work out, hang out with family, sign autographs for fans or disappear into the dorms and away from the plus-90 degree heat.

That’s when Eason found Hunter.

Eason asked Hunter about football and the Steelers. Hunter demonstrated his sprinting ability — crutches and all. At some point in that initial meeting, Eason set out on his own agenda — no permission, no warning. He hustled Hunter into his stroller, and the push was on.

Read more: http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/aug/15/a-magical-mile/

http://media.vindy.com/content/image/2010/08/FILE0120.JPG

http://media.vindy.com/content/image/2010/08/FILE0086.JPG

Steeldude
08-17-2010, 12:53 AM
good story

solardave
08-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Real good story. Eason is a great guy and I notice Troy is in the picture too. Troy is great with kids too but we all know that!!

Wallace108
08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
This quote says it all about him ...

“I did it because it just popped up,” Eason said. “It may have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I wanted to make sure he remembered it.”

And here's another photo that wasn't placed with the story for some reason.

http://media.vindy.com/content/image/2010/08/FILE0108.JPG

stillers4me
08-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks for sharing that! I think has read that Eason had an appendectomy some time back, but I didn't know there were major complications.

Wallace108
08-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks for sharing that! I think has read that Eason had an appendectomy some time back, but I didn't know there were major complications.

Yeah, neither did I ...
-----

Nick Eason said the pain in his right side started at the end of February into the beginning of March.

Of course, as a defensive end for the Pittsburgh Steelers, he's used to pain. So Eason tried to endure the discomfort on his own for three months -- but it turned out that he had appendicitis.

Little did the 30-year-old Eason know his situation would become so serious that it would require multiple surgical procedures to save his life.

"I called a friend of mine who's a doctor and told her what was going on, and she told me to press on my left side and release. The pain shot across," Eason said. "She said, 'You need to get to an emergency room right now.'"

Eason had an allergic reaction to medication and got his appendix removed. Then, there were more complications as his bowels became inflated.

Eventually, a doctor told Eason that a tube needed to go into his stomach through his mouth and throat. Understandably, Eason was reluctant to take the tube -- but there was really no choice.

His doctor told him, "Either we're going to get this tube in your stomach or you're going to become septic and die," Eason said. "So I was like, 'OK, try again.'"

Following another surgery to remove part of his colon, Eason lost 29 pounds in 14 days.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38648697

Kaeg
08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Wow! That's really cool! (Not the appendix part, but the rest of the story. The appendix part was totally not cool.) As I wonder why these stories don't get some headlines like, oh, I don't know, maybe "if Favre tied his own shoes today" and things like that, I guess the answer dawns on me. "He's just not one of those household names." It's too bad things like this get overlooked in favor of the more sensationalized headlines. Which on average bore the hell out of me. I don't care what color bowel movement Brett Favre had yesterday!! But the media apparently thinks I exist for that stuff. Give me a story like this once in a while.

Wallace108
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow! That's really cool! (Not the appendix part, but the rest of the story. The appendix part was totally not cool.) As I wonder why these stories don't get some headlines like, oh, I don't know, maybe "if Favre tied his own shoes today" and things like that, I guess the answer dawns on me. "He's just not one of those household names." It's too bad things like this get overlooked in favor of the more sensationalized headlines. Which on average bore the hell out of me. I don't care what color bowel movement Brett Favre had yesterday!! But the media apparently thinks I exist for that stuff. Give me a story like this once in a while.

Exactly, Kaeg. Eason might not be a superstar "worthy" of national attention, but try to tell that to the little boy who I'm sure will never forget that experience ...

We need more stories on players like Eason.

beSteelmyheart
08-17-2010, 08:57 PM
What an awesome guy! :angel: Thanks for sharing!

O'Malley
08-17-2010, 10:09 PM
That was a great story. Probably happens more then we know.

CanadianSteel
08-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Always liked Nick Eason, seems like a stand up guy and I am sure this little event was a big hit with the kid.

I remember NFL had a show focusing on the draft, and followed Eason the year he was drafted by the Broncos. Seemed like a cool layed back dude then with good head on his shoulders and close with his family.

Fit right into pittsburgh as key backup and role player. Not sure he will remain this year .... but props to Nick who seems a solid dude and hope he is fully recovered from surgery.

TatarMongol
08-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Cool story & nice pics. Thanks 4 sharing.

Nickita312
12-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you for posting this. I'm an Hunter's Aunt Julie & was the lucky one who got to enjoy this very special day with Nick & Hunter. If you would like to see other pictures from the day, find me on Facebook. Nickita312@aol.com and request me as a friend. I have pictures from the day plus a also wrote my view of the day & how Hunter's reaction was. Even for me who has been a Steelers fan for my whole 37 years, it was by far the greatest day. Also to the Steelers fans that happened to be there that day, you are by far the greatest. I have said it before & will say it again, STEELERS FANS ARE GREATEST.

Julie M.

stlrtruck
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
That was a great story. Probably happens more then we know.

It happens more than we need to know. I don't mean to sound like a smart arse when I say that, I just mean that these players put on a show for us. They entertain us (in laymen's terms), and while I appreciate stories such as this and all the others, I believe that sometimes what they do isn't about getting their names in the paper but about serving a higher purpose, and I pray, that it's the purpose of serving God, but irregardless I think it's nice when these guys just do something and it becomes word of mouth. I wish I could have been there to experience that moment!