PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor is 'pissed off' he took $4.25M pay cut with Steelers

polamalubeast
06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Back in March, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor agreed to a $4.25 million pay cut to help the Steelers make some room under the salary cap.

As you can imagine, Taylor wasn't too thrilled with taking the pay cut and he told Jim Rome all about it on Monday. Taylor was scheduled to make $7 million in 2014, but now will only pull in $2.75 million.

"I'm pissed off about it, still am pissed off about it and I'm going to be pissed off until the end of the season about it," Taylor said of taking the pay cut. "Did it hurt me? Hell yeah. Does it still hurt? Yeah, it hurts, but hopefully I can go in and bounce back this year, do what I need to do on the field and we will see what happens after."

You might be wondering why Taylor would agree to a pay cut if it was going to 'piss' him off so much. The 34-year-old has an explanation for that.

"I had seen a few guys who didn't take pay cuts and went to other teams and it didn't work out for them. So, at the end of the day, I didn't want to leave Pittsburgh, point blank, period," Taylor said. "Just hearing from other guys coming from other teams and being on the team with Pittsburgh, they say it's like no other; it's like day and night, so I'll listen."

read more

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24601893/ike-taylor-is-pissed-off-he-took-425m-pay-cut-with-steelers

GBMelBlount
06-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Hope his play reflects his "pissed off" attitude...

tube517
06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Ike is old and way past his prime. He probably dropped the pen when Omar gave it to him to sign the contract.

st33lersguy
06-30-2014, 04:27 PM
What did he expect the Steelers to do, continue to pay him $7 million after he got burned by pretty much every receiver he played against all while the Steelers were cap-strapped?

GBMelBlount
06-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Ike is old and way past his prime. He probably dropped the pen when Omar gave it to him to sign the contract.

LOL!

The reason these players don't do well elsewhere is because their skills have diminished significantly.

This is why we ask them to take such a big paycut.

Devilsdancefloor
06-30-2014, 06:13 PM
ike you could have said no and gone to the cardinals for a year for a 2 year 5 million and get cut by them next season! i love ow ike has played but las year his play dropped off the chart. I am guessing if he didnt have suc a grea relationship with Mr Rooney he would have been a cap casualty. So, in closing i just want IKE to know i am pissed off the way he played last year!

stillers4me
06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I really don't believe this story....it's the total opposite of the story that was published when he signed a few months back.

You have to decide if you're going to put your pride aside when that time comes, and that time came," Taylor said Tuesday after joining his teammates for organized team activities. "Millions is millions no matter how you look at it, and that's how I look at it."

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/sports/ike-taylor-relishing-elder-statesman-role-with-steelers/26309258#ixzz36AW6u6X2

Devilsdancefloor
06-30-2014, 06:55 PM
I really don't believe this story....it's the total opposite of the story that was published when he signed a few months back.

http://jimrome.com/2014/06/30/ike-taylor-on-his-pay-cut-im-pissed-off-about-it/#.U7G_QBpI4gM.twitter 4 min in the interview at the bottom

SteelerFanInStl
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
He should be happy that the Steelers didn't just cut him after the way that he played last year. Better FA CBs signed for less than the $2.75M that he's making this year.

I wish that I was only making $2.75M. :lol:

ALLD
06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Will be his last year and he could have handled the PR end better. The Rooney's are doing him a favor and this is how he repays them?

Shoes
06-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Well Ike, if you agreed to play for what you signed for shut up and play or hit the road. Do these guys ever grow up?

fansince'76
06-30-2014, 09:27 PM

Wait, which one's Ike again?

http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/2094/07/2094_1372695662.png

:chuckle:

Steelerette
06-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Ike's statements a couple months back and these ones don't really contradict. He took a step back and looked at it from a business perspective, a personal perspective, knew that he wanted to be here, he had ties here, and he wasn't really going to get a better deal somewhere else. It was a decision that made absolute sense to him, both looking at it from the team's and his own perspective.

But that doesn't mean he has to be thrilled to be missing out on $4.7mm. If anything let's hope it gives him the right kind of chip on his shoulder to go out and crush it this season.

GBMelBlount
06-30-2014, 10:14 PM
If anything let's hope it gives him the right kind of chip on his shoulder to go out and crush it this season.

My thoughts exactly.

Ike bleeds black & gold....

X-Terminator
06-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Well Ike, I hope you take that on to the field with you, and you light it up. The fact that the Steelers did not draft a CB in the high rounds says that they think you can still be a solid contributor. Go out there and prove them right, and maybe you recoup some of those lost millions next season.

steelreserve
07-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Look at it this way: It was better than a $7 million pay cut, which was your other option.

fansince'76
07-01-2014, 03:34 AM
Well Ike, I hope you take that on to the field with you, and you light it up. The fact that the Steelers did not draft a CB in the high rounds says that they think you can still be a solid contributor. Go out there and prove them right, and maybe you recoup some of those lost millions next season.

Doubtful - I have a feeling this is probably Ike's last season...in any uniform. Anybody who doesn't think that he's very noticably lost a step (or two) is kidding themselves. I also don't see him getting any of his lost speed back at 34 years old. I just hope we can start generating enough of a pass rush that we can somewhat mask it and it doesn't completely kill us again. Watching second-raters like Tannehill pick us apart has gotten old.

zulater
07-01-2014, 05:27 AM
Look at it this way: It was better than a $7 million pay cut, which was your other option.

Yep. And he knew it, and that's why he agreed to play for what he's getting. Wait until he's out of the league, he'll likely never realize a 6 figure a year contract again let alone a 7 figure one. So better get used to your new reality Ike.

Steelerette
07-01-2014, 05:33 AM
I could live my whole life, on that 2.75mm. I realize athletes have much higher cost of living than most but even so, it's staggering how many high profile athletes wind up broke at the end of it. Here's hoping Ike has been tending his money wisely all these years.

steelreserve
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
I could live my whole life, on that 2.75mm. I realize athletes have much higher cost of living than most but even so, it's staggering how many high profile athletes wind up broke at the end of it. Here's hoping Ike has been tending his money wisely all these years.

That might be harder than you think (especially after half of it is eaten up by taxes), but you've definitely got a point. Not too many NFL players living frugally in a $150K house and driving a 2003 Honda Accord. I don't know whether they all just are that way on their own, or some get caught up in this whole rockstar-glam lifestyle thing because of peer pressure from their teammates, but most do sure blow a wad of cash.

I guess if I started out with a shitty life and a dirt-poor family (as many/most of these guys do) and suddenly had millions of dollars, I'd probably want to rush out and live it up too, at least for a while, but I'd also probably be pretty damn motivated not to go straight back once my playing days were over. Ike has had a couple good-sized contracts, so he'll probably be OK, but man, some of these players can blow through the couple million dollars they get from a rookie contract in no time flat. The ones that seem to do the worst are the ones who have a posse and wear $125,000 necklaces, and buy all kinds of stupid shit for 20 people back home, and then have kids with two or three different women and get stuck paying a couple hundred grand a year to each. That'll make it go fast. I don't know if we've had anyone on the team quite like that since maybe Wallace or Santonio, which if it's really the case is pretty fortunate.

tube517
07-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Doubtful - I have a feeling this is probably Ike's last season...in any uniform. Anybody who doesn't think that he's very noticably lost a step (or two) is kidding themselves. I also don't see him getting any of his lost speed back at 34 years old. I just hope we can start generating enough of a pass rush that we can somewhat mask it and it doesn't completely kill us again. Watching second-raters like Tannehill pick us apart has gotten old.

He's still fast enough to keep up with this guy ........

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600449_10151724394899905_1755242615_n.jpg

86WARD
07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
He only did it to himself...lol

vader29
07-01-2014, 01:52 PM

GBMelBlount
07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e9/e9803ef287d4fce02b622b58b8a658afe373e1f5a5ab7c20c3 be3ee17df93077.jpg

vader29
07-01-2014, 02:13 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e9/e9803ef287d4fce02b622b58b8a658afe373e1f5a5ab7c20c3 be3ee17df93077.jpg
Roger Goodell's Junior High School picture. :chuckle: