PDA

View Full Version : Steelers report: Look for faster players, faster attack

GBMelBlount
06-28-2014, 10:59 PM
The Steelers head into 2014 with a roster that has been retooled with an emphasis on youth and speed, particularly on defense, and they were more active than usual in free agency.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2014/06/25/pittsburgh-ben-roethlisberger-playoffs/11353595/

Craic
07-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I was just struck by just how FAST our receiving corp is right now.

Heyward-Bey: 4.23 forty.
Dri Archer: 4:26 forty.
Markus Wheaton: 4.34 (according to Eugene Daily News).
Antonio Brown; 4.43 forty (but he is definitely faster than that on the field).

I mean, when the slowest man that might line up at the WR position is Antonio Brown . . . that's some speed.

salamander
07-05-2014, 09:02 PM
That's A LOT of speed.....

Psycho Ward 86
07-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I was just struck by just how FAST our receiving corp is right now.

Heyward-Bey: 4.23 forty.
Dri Archer: 4:26 forty.
Markus Wheaton: 4.34 (according to Eugene Daily News).
Antonio Brown; 4.43 forty (but he is definitely faster than that on the field).

I mean, when the slowest man that might line up at the WR position is Antonio Brown . . . that's some speed.

dont forget martavis bryant at 4.42, phenomenal for a guy his size

tube517
07-05-2014, 11:01 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSV-RgjDHEsuTQ-HEyqExrfMun_oDd_EXAX4X8fvE3Vzsnnsph

4.87 :bananalama:

Mojouw
07-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I love the "extremes" these articles like to identify. The "youth" movement in the defense has been on for years now and realistically only 2 players on the defense were replaced; Clark and Kiesel. Woodley was a cap casualty more than anything. So out of 11 spots, 8 are essentially the same as last year, 2 project to have younger players, and 1 is swapping on rookie for another.

As for the WR corps, the Steelers are following a pattern they have developed over the last several years. Draft fast, somewhat raw WR's whenever they can, coach them up, and then the team has options when any of their successful wideouts wants big money. That is how the Steelers got from Santionio Holmes to Antonio Brown.

They were more active than usual in Free Agency though. A better "theme" for all these off-season articles would be how the coaching staff is being forced to alter its strategy due to two poor seasons in a row. For the first time in a long time, we will see rookies and 2nd year players being asked to play significant minutes all over the roster. I for one think that is a good thing and too long in coming.