PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mike Tomlin, Dennis Dixon Can and Should Start The Season

polamalubeast
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Who should start the season for Pittsburgh?

Leftwich1.6%
Dixon98.4%
Batch0.0%

Total votes: 61

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/436401-dear-mike-tomlin-dennis-dixon-can-and-should-start-the-season

salamander
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Let's make a decision after we play the rest of the preseason. I'm not ready to hand the starting job to Dixon just yet. I'm not saying I don't like what he did last night, but I think it's just a little too early to make any hasty decisions.

fansince'76
08-15-2010, 05:43 PM
The day Tomlin starts making decisions based on polls from Bleacher Report is the day I'll want him fired.

salamander
08-15-2010, 05:46 PM
The day Tomlin starts making decisions based on polls from Bleacher Report is the day I'll want him fired.

That too. I still say anything from Bleacher Report should be banned on here. lol. Just sayin'. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
If we were to base it solely on last nights performance then I'd vote Dixon. Fortunately though there's 2 more preseason games and some TC left for the coaches to figure out 100% who should start.

Not directed at anyone here at all, but I've seen a lot of knee jerk fan reactions on different sites about who should get the start this season. Reminds me of when there was a huge uproar in '08-'09 over people wanting Ben to be benched in favor of Leftwich. Now many think DD is the next savior. I'm happy to just let each guy show what they can do and let the coaches do the jobs they get paid to do and make the best decision on who should start. I'll be rooting on whoever that is.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-15-2010, 06:09 PM
As I said in another thread, if it is a true competetion Dixon should start in the next preseason game. I think he has earned it and there is already enough tape on Leftwhich against starting units.

That being said I also stand by my claim that a starter, for the regular season, needs to be chosen by the third preseason game. No waivering. Pick one and let them get reps with the first string offense in the last two preseason games and practices.

st33lersguy
08-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Right now Dennis Dixon. I was unimpressed by by the O-line and Byron Leftwich is one of the slowest and most immobile quarterbacks in the league. Watching last night Dennis showed he could elude a pass rush if he ever gets pressured

steelwalls
08-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I would be interested in seeing Dixon go against a 1st team and Leftwich go against a 2nd.

Hindes204
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I would be interested in seeing Dixon go against a 1st team and Leftwich go against a 2nd.

Yep...it's way too soon to know anything. I would also like to see DD go up against the 1st team

HometownGal
08-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Let's make a decision after we play the rest of the preseason. I'm not ready to hand the starting job to Dixon just yet. I'm not saying I don't like what he did last night, but I think it's just a little too early to make any hasty decisions.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

AND

Ding ding ding - double Bingo. :thumbsup:

For the most part, I was impressed with Dix's performance last night but again - it was against the Lions 2nd team D. I would like to see him in against the Giants 1st team D and watch him more closely on how he handles the pocket pressure - something I was NOT impressed with last night. He's definitely a multi-faceted talent, but no way I hand him the starting job after one game against a team whose first team D, much less the 2nd team D which Dix played against, isn't as good as the Steelers practice squad D.

urgle burgle
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
i agree....one pre-season game does not equal pro-bowler, or starter, as some would like to think. yeah, we get excited, but we've had superstar pre-season gamers before (for one game), and then there on the practice squad.... let's see how he handles 1st team responsibilites and better pocket awareness when pressured...or we just have another kordell on the squad. patience, patience.

siss
08-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Dear Oline,
GET IT TOGETHER!
Love always,
Siss

MasterOfPuppets
08-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Dear Oline,
GET IT TOGETHER!
Love always,
Siss

amen ... of course it was just the first game, but i didn't see much to get excited about. of course we seen why dallas let flozell go.

ricardisimo
08-16-2010, 01:47 AM
amen ... of course it was just the first game, but i didn't see much to get excited about. of course we seen why dallas let flozell go.

Didn't they just lose both of their starting tackles for extended time? I think they might be regretting letting him go right now.

CantStop85
08-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Dear Mike Tomlin,

Dennis Dixon is a terrible quarterback who will never amount to anything in the NFL. You should trade him to the Cincinnati Bengals for a "proven" NFL starter in J.T. O'Sullivan.

Sincerely,
CantStop85

:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
08-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Didn't they just lose both of their starting tackles for extended time? I think they might be regretting letting him go right now.

i know they lost their RT , mark colombo (knee ) , but i haven't heard anything about the left.

Taylor: Doug Free makes Cowboys look smart for axing Flozell Adams

The Cowboys released Flozell Adams in the off-season because they believed in Doug Free.

The fourth-year veteran did nothing to disappoint in the Cowboys' first preseason game of the season. Free, starting at left tackle, did a nice job run- and pass-blocking, especially against Bengals defensive end Antwan Odom, who had eight sacks in his first six games until an Achilles injury ended his season.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/081110dnspocownewsletter2.40cb30b9.html

steelwalls
08-16-2010, 02:34 AM
Right now Dennis Dixon. I was unimpressed by by the O-line and Byron Leftwich is one of the slowest and most immobile quarterbacks in the league. Watching last night Dennis showed he could elude a pass rush if he ever gets pressured

Well fair point here...If the line isn't up to snuff at the start of this year Leftwich ain't gonna make it long. People say this and that about Ben holding on to the ball and what not, but Ben has mobility, and that one step at the right time to make a guy miss. Leftwich certainly is not known for that. If our line cant consistantly protect him, the mobilty of Dixon starts to factor in a bit more IMO.

Thats why, again I'll say to make an accurate assesment, Dixon needs to get some reps at some point this pre-season against a 1st team D.

BuddhaBus
08-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Dear Mike Tomlin,

Dennis Dixon is a terrible quarterback who will never amount to anything in the NFL. You should trade him to the Cincinnati Bengals for a "proven" NFL starter in J.T. O'Sullivan.

Sincerely,
CantStop85

Shut it! :buttkick: :heh:

st33lersguy
08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Dear Mike Tomlin,

Sincerely,
CantStop85

Dear Mike Brown

Start getting players with high character

sincerely steelersguy

stillers4me
08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Dear Mike Tomlin,

Sincerely,
CantStop85

We wouldn't even give you Dennis Dixon for the Palmer brothers.

Nice try.

X-Terminator
08-16-2010, 03:39 PM
We wouldn't even give you Dennis Dixon for the Palmer sisters.

Fixed. :heh:

stillers4me
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Fixed. :heh:

My bad. :chuckle:

GoSlash27
08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
There's a big-ass elephant in the room and I may as well come out and say it:
Dennis Dixon is exactly like Kordell Stewart. This doesn't spook me, as I always liked Stewart... but let's just be real about it. Technique, athleticism, judgement, arm, flexibility, speed... he's the same dude. Might as well *be* Stewart for all practical purposes.
Dixon can be a huge asset to this team, but only if he's allowed to play sandlot ball. If Arians forces him to conform to the pocket-passer role, he'll do poorly. Just like 'Slash'. You don't take away all the weapons that make a guy impressive and then expect him to remain impressive.
Which raises the big question: How do you transition from a Big Ben style offense to a Slash style offense using the same bodies?

Tomlin is very adamant that he's not going to trust this 4-6 game stretch to a newb with one game under his belt no matter how spectacular he is. Lefty's starting and that's all there is to it.

SteelGhost
08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Well fair point here...If the line isn't up to snuff at the start of this year Leftwich ain't gonna make it long. People say this and that about Ben holding on to the ball and what not, but Ben has mobility, and that one step at the right time to make a guy miss. Leftwich certainly is not known for that. If our line cant consistantly protect him, the mobilty of Dixon starts to factor in a bit more IMO.

Thats why, again I'll say to make an accurate assesment, Dixon needs to get some reps at some point this pre-season against a 1st team D.

I'm all for that :thumbsup: We need to see his performance against 1st. stringers, otherwise we'll never know how good he is :noidea: We already know what Leftwich can bring (or not) to the table, why not giving DD a chance for one preseason game ?

Steeldude
08-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Dear Mike Tomlin,

Sincerely,
CantStop85

i would rather have a draft pick. if they give the steelers a 4th round pick that would be awesome. it would be even better for the steelers if dixon became the bengals starting QB.

stlrtruck
08-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm not saying he should start the season opener, but he should be given a chance to start a pre-season game with the first stringers to see what he's got.

As I've mentioned before, he proved last year in the ratbird game that he can handle the pressure.

Psycho Ward 86
08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
There's a big-ass elephant in the room and I may as well come out and say it:
Dennis Dixon is exactly like Kordell Stewart. This doesn't spook me, as I always liked Stewart... but let's just be real about it. Technique, athleticism, judgement, arm, flexibility, speed... he's the same dude. Might as well *be* Stewart for all practical purposes.
Dixon can be a huge asset to this team, but only if he's allowed to play sandlot ball. If Arians forces him to conform to the pocket-passer role, he'll do poorly. Just like 'Slash'. You don't take away all the weapons that make a guy impressive and then expect him to remain impressive.
Which raises the big question: How do you transition from a Big Ben style offense to a Slash style offense using the same bodies?

Tomlin is very adamant that he's not going to trust this 4-6 game stretch to a newb with one game under his belt no matter how spectacular he is. Lefty's starting and that's all there is to it.

Dixon is most definitely a much better passer than Kordell. Kordell was a physical specimen playing out of position. Dixon is right where he belongs. He CAN be an extremely strong pocket passer. Throwing motion, quick release, accuracy, ESPECIALLY accuracy are all just a couple points where Dixon is much better than Kordell. And Dixon is actually looking to throw unlike your prototypical running quarterback.

On another note, there's a reason why Dixon didnt run for a SINGLE rushing TD in highschool. He was always looking to throw. Running is his last resort. In previous preseason games (and the Ravens game) i thought he did a better job of hanging tough in the pocket even with pass rushers closing in. He needs to get more comfortable in that aspect.