PDA

View Full Version : How the Steelers traded Roy Jefferson and won four Super Bowls

tube517
06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
This article is 2 years old but since this is Remembering Chuck Noll week, I stumbled upon this article by chance.

I remember Roy Jefferson when he played for the Redskins but never knew he played for the Steelers. I started watching the Steelers in 74 so I remember Frank Lewis and Ron Shanklin before Swann and Stallworth.

http://www.footballperspective.com/how-the-steelers-traded-roy-jefferson-and-won-four-super-bowls/

The whole scenario reminds me of the whole Sandoobio trade.

fansince'76
06-19-2014, 01:56 PM
As Steelers fans know, 1969 was a key year in the franchise’s history. It was Chuck Noll’s first season, and his first draft selection was Joe Greene. After finishing with the league’s worst record in 1969, Pittsburgh won the rights to draft Terry Bradshaw. On the field, Jefferson was the best player in Noll’s first season. But that doesn’t mean Noll and Jefferson got along.

The start of the 1970 season was in jeopardy because of a players’ strike. After it was resolved quickly and largely in the owners’ favor, Jefferson publicly expressed his dissatisfaction. Jefferson began flouting Noll’s authority in training camp back in the days when such actions weren’t tolerated. Noll responded by shopping the team’s star player. He got a bite with the Baltimore Colts, who agreed to trade their 1971 fourth round pick and wide receiver Willie Richardson for Jefferson.

1-13 and he got rid of our best player?!? Fire Noll!!! :chuckle:

Craic
06-19-2014, 03:01 PM
1-13 and he got rid of our best player?!? Fire Noll!!! :chuckle:

What are you talking about? That was Arians's doing!

zulater
06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
When you look at the numbers you could easily make the case there are lesser receivers inducted in Canton than Jefferson.

I understand why the Steelers traded him, but he really was an exceptional player, and he really wasn't a bad guy at all.

tube517
06-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Not on the level of the Hershel Walker trade but same idea. Noll had a vision and Jefferson didn't fit into that.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

ALLD
06-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Just think of the possibilities if Kevin Bacon was a Steeler WR in 1969.