PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Porter takes Jones under his wing

stillers4me
06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Joey Porter's official title is defensive assistant, but it might as well be Jarvis Jones' personal coach.
Porter, the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)' third-round pick in 1999, registered 98 sacks over his 14-year NFL career (eight years of which were with the Steelers) and now is trying to transfer his knowledge of pass-rushing to last year's first-round pick.

“I don't have to say you're going to have to do this,” said Porter, who was a graduate assistant at Colorado State last year. “He wants it for himself. He's a good student (and) he wants to learn the game. Like I tell him all the time, you put in the work, and I'm going to be here to help you with whatever you need. I played the position. Soak up all the knowledge I have like a sponge, and I'll just keep giving it to you.”

Despite playing in 14 games and starting eight as a rookie, Jones finished with only one sack.

“Last year I could imagine how he struggled with the defense,” Porter said. “This is a complex defense (and) to learn it that fast and be thrown in the fire (is tough). I remember being at Jarvis' age, but he's got a little more pressure (on him) than I did. He's a first-round pick. I didn't have that much pressure on me as a third-round pick. I didn't get thrown into the starting lineup like he did.” ........

read more @ http://triblive.com/mobile/6293738-96/steelers-zumwalt-pick

BigNastyDefense
06-18-2014, 06:59 PM
This can only be a good thing. A lot of people didn't like Porter for his trash talking and bravado, but the guy brought it every game. Even if he didn't get to the QB, he caused enough disruption for someone else to slip through.

I'll never forget that 2005 playoff game against the Colts. He only actually sacked Manning 1.5 times but one of those sacks was a huge one and he was harassing Peyton all day.

I think he can only help Jarvis Jones, maybe even give Jones a bit of an attitude. Bring an attitude and swagger back to this defense that's been missing the past couple of years.

ALLD
06-18-2014, 08:15 PM
He also got a pick in the Super Bowl.

GBMelBlount
06-18-2014, 08:17 PM
This can only be a good thing. A lot of people didn't like Porter for his trash talking and bravado, but the guy brought it every game. Even if he didn't get to the QB, he caused enough disruption for someone else to slip through.

I'll never forget that 2005 playoff game against the Colts. He only actually sacked Manning 1.5 times but one of those sacks was a huge one and he was harassing Peyton all day.

I think he can only help Jarvis Jones, maybe even give Jones a bit of an attitude.

Bring an attitude and swagger back to this defense that's been missing the past couple of years.

It's been painful to watch the seeming apathy on defense the past 2 or 3 years.