PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Steelers look to work tight end into no-huddle offense

polamalubeast
06-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is always looking for ways to expand the no-huddle offense, but who would've thought the next progression would include Will Johnson.
The Steelers fullback has been moved out of the running back room and in with the tights exclusively this year for the first time with the thought of being able to use the sure-handed Johnson more in the no-huddle offense than in a straight fullback role.
“I am learning different routes and different reads and hots,” Johnson said. “Hey, it gets me on the field and gives me a chance to make plays.”
Johnson, who is in his third year out of West Virginia, has 23 career catches for 178 yards and two touchdowns. Johnson did not play a snap in the no huddle a season ago, but his unique skill set of being big, strong and having good hands could provide matchup issues for opposing defenses.
“It helps having Will Johnson who is a fullback, tight end kind of guy so we can move him around and do some run-pass game with him as well,” Roethlisberger said.
Roethlisberger completed 102 of 163 passes for 1,221 yards, 10 touchdowns and one interception out of the no huddle last year. The Steelers also called 76 runs plays out of the formation mostly with the same skill players on the field.
“In years past, it has been one, maybe two personnel groups,” Roethlisberger said. “Now we can do some different things.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6294745-74/rookie-hall-steelers#ixzz352Fl7HR6
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

stillers4me
06-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Just win, baby.

tube517
06-18-2014, 06:23 PM
"Whatever it takes"

-Chuck Noll

stillers4me
06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Spence for 6
If linebacker Sean Spence had any doubts that he is 100 percent back from a gruesome knee injury that cost him his first two years, Wednesday might just have erased those.
Spence dropped into coverage during a team period in which the offense was backed inside the 5-yard line and intercepted a pass from Landry Jones intended for Darrius Heyward-Bey and returned it for a touchdown.

Ok...it was Landry Jones, but still must have made his day.

tube517
06-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Ok...it was Landry Jones, but still must have made his day.

:chuckle: Also, DHB isn't paid to jump for the ball so we know it's 110% Landry's fault!

ALLD
06-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Make an audible to Johnson to run a post pattern. That will fool everybody!