PDA

View Full Version : Munchak: 'It’s creating good competition'

stillers4me
06-17-2014, 05:28 PM
As the Steelers embark on their three-day minicamp offensive line coach Mike Munchak has two big things going for him – center Maurkice Pouncey (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/maurkice-pouncey/9d33439a-ec2b-4a65-a2a2-0b63719b0604/) is healthy and there is good competition at the tackle position.

Munchak shared his thoughts on both topics.

On center Maurkice Pouncey and what he brings:
“He’s a natural leader. These guys really rally around him. They really are encouraged by watching the way he worked out after being hurt in the opener. How he’s come back and all the time he’s put in this building to get the chance to be part of these workouts again. Really excited where he’s at. I’m really excited as a line coach (when) you know you have a guy like him locked up for a long term. Center is one of the building blocks and he’s the leader so it’s a lot of plusses and I think so far so good for him.” ........

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Munchak-It’s-creating-good-competition/b7b99c93-12c1-42f6-9f67-7dbfc03200e6

bendsteel
06-17-2014, 06:27 PM
God, I love everything about Pouncey, but the fact that he seems a little injury prone....maybe a lot injury prone. If he stays healthy, he`s a beast. Big if.

Bluecoat96
06-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Pouncey is not injury prone. A dumbass Jets player rolled into his ankle in the 2010 AFC Championship Game. He didn't have the care he needed after the Superbowl because of the lockout and as a result, he needed the surgery after the 2011 season. He just has bad luck. The injury from DeCastro was a perfect example of that.

Craic
06-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Nice to read that Mike Adams is pushing for a starting job at both left and right tackle. Sounds like Munchak is helping him get a few of those fundamentals down he needed (or whatever it was). Adams has a great upside. He just needs to settle down, learn from the coach, and play the game.

TMC
06-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Nice to read that Mike Adams is pushing for a starting job at both left and right tackle. Sounds like Munchak is helping him get a few of those fundamentals down he needed (or whatever it was). Adams has a great upside. He just needs to settle down, learn from the coach, and play the game.

In an interview, Munchak said the starting jobs belonged to Beachum and Gilbert. He praised both players. I am paraphrasing, but it was something like; Beachum and Gilbert are our starters. People will know Beachum's name. He is athletic, tough, physical, and a hard worker. Gilbert is doing a really nice job at right tackle as well."

Something like that, but it is the first true endorsement Munchak has given anyone at tackle.

Craic
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
In an interview, Munchak said the starting jobs belonged to Beachum and Gilbert. He praised both players. I am paraphrasing, but it was something like; Beachum and Gilbert are our starters. People will know Beachum's name. He is athletic, tough, physical, and a hard worker. Gilbert is doing a really nice job at right tackle as well."

Something like that, but it is the first true endorsement Munchak has given anyone at tackle.
That falls in line with the quotes from this article:

On the tackle position, with the competition there:
“I think the best thing an offensive coach can have is competition and I think we have that. We have (Kelvin) Beachum working at left tackle and Mike (Adams) and Marcus (Gilbert). I think you got some guys that can really do some good things and again I’m asking them to do different things than they’ve done in the past. They’ve had three line coaches in three years so everything is not going to change overnight in what we want to do. I’m kind of watching to see what they’re good at, trying to hopefully improve their game as we go forward.

“I think it’s creating good competition. They’re going to be battled tested and ready to go. Mike has been playing both sides. He’s been the one pushing on both sides. has been obviously the fourth guy. We’ve got four veteran tackles. We’re going to have some good football players and some tough decisions.”

In this post, it sounds like Beachum is set at left tackle, and Adams and Gilbert are fighting for right tackle, with it being Gilbert's spot to lose heading into camp.