PDA

View Full Version : Steelers might switch away from their 3-4 defense in coming years

polamalubeast
06-17-2014, 02:22 PM
The Steelers and the 3-4 defense form as indelible a partnership as there is in the NFL, a marriage of scheme and structure that's lasted through three head coaches and every trend NFL offenses could throw at it for 32 years.
The run and shoot? The read option? The spread? The wildcat? Never mattered to the Steelers — they stayed loyal to the 3-4 regardless of the NFL flavor of the day, even as offenses sped up and their own personnel slowed down.

But as the Steelers replenish a defense that was one of the NFL's best for a decade but recently isn't generating sacks or takeaways, might they be ready for a defensive cultural change?

“Mike (Tomlin), his strength is a 4-3 team,” NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes said. “They haven't been able to find the personnel that fit the style of defense that Dick (LeBeau) likes to play.”

Some recent Steelers personnel acquisitions — mobile linebacker Ryan Shazier, 330-pounds-plus linemen Cam Thomas and Daniel McCullers, playmaking defensive end Stephon Tuitt, safety Mike Mitchell — all seem just as suited for a 4-3 as they are a 3-4.

Defensive end Cam Heyward said the Steelers already incorporate some 4-3 looks.
“I think our nickel package is more of a four-man line,” Heyward said. “If we have to beef it up, we have some different fronts where we can add another defensive lineman, take a corner or a linebacker out. It all depends on the situation.”

Such a change likely wouldn't occur until LeBeau retires as defensive coordinator, but it would be a natural fit for Tomlin — who worked with 4-3 defenses in Minnesota and Tampa Bay — and linebackers coach Keith Butler, who also has a 4-3 background.

Playing a 4-3 would allow the Steelers to drop their linebackers, including the speedy Shazier, into coverage more often to counter fast-tempo spread offenses. The primary pass-rush responsibilities would shift away from their outside linebackers, whose production has dropped off, and to their interior linemen.

Another argument for the change: Over the past two seasons, the Steelers are only 22nd in sacks and 28th in takeaways.
So are the Steelers silently gearing up to shift away from the 3-4 — the defense that is so intrinsically linked to them that, in 2001, they were the only NFL team playing it?

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6261503-74/steelers-nfl-4-3#ixzz34vTTmwXv
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GBMelBlount
06-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Does a team have to be a 3-4 OR 4-3?

It's good that we are getting younger and faster.

steelreserve
06-17-2014, 03:51 PM
For years it's been obvious that a 3-4 has gotten very difficult to maintain, because the necessary players, especially linemen, got way way WAY overvalued as it became a fad with other teams. That's why we had to use first-round picks to replenish the DE position, where the guys they were replacing were Pro Bowlers who we got in the 4th and 7th rounds. That's also why the good nose tackles were going in the top 10 overall, and why we ended up reaching for guys like Ziggy Hood. It was too expensive to replenish the defense when everyone else was jacking up the cost of it.

So now that it looks like the pendulum is FINALLY swinging back the other way, we're going to follow the herd and try to cram in with the new fad? You have to suck for 3 or 4 years first in order to have any success that way. Hey, better make some stupid reaches for tall cornerbacks while we're at it.

vader29
06-17-2014, 08:20 PM

Dwinsgames
06-17-2014, 08:22 PM
The talking horse has spoken

polamalubeast
06-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Jamie Dukes,you are stupid!!!

Shoes
06-17-2014, 08:29 PM

:chuckle:

fansince'76
06-17-2014, 11:58 PM

http://brooklynsteez.com/products/square/98637.png
:chuckle:

oneforthetoe
06-18-2014, 01:21 AM
They start this rumor every year. I think it is particularly stupid this year because this draft was a Dick Lebeau looking draft if I ever saw one.

Mojouw
06-18-2014, 11:17 AM
This line of argument is both stupid and lazy. My two sportswriting pet peeves. It is simply recycling old, tired storylines. Steelers coverage is particularly susceptible to this because of their organizational and schematic stability.

As long as Lebeau walks the halls of the facility, there will be no switching away from a base 3-4. The man damn near invented the modern 3-4 defense. Given that the designated in-house replacement for LeBeau has basically apprenticed under the same system his whole professional coaching career, a switch in the future doesn't seem likely.

As others mentioned, look at the draft. How could it get any more stereotypically Lebeau 3-4'ish?

A massive NT - check
Large potentially disruptive end? - check
Speedy tackle machine with a high football IQ to man the center of the field and potentially be the replacement for the "wildcard" role of Polamalu? - check
An almost complete devaluing of DB's in favor of disruptive players? - Check

I could go on and on, but the entire off-season looks like a retooling and rebuilding of a zone-blitz 3-4 scheme far more than the beginning of a phased transition to a 4-3.

I personally feel that this season will see a return of the "mad scientist" style from Lebeau. With all the youth and speed at his disposal his options will really be opened up. During the last run of defensive dominance, he seemed to be content on relying on Harrison and Woodley with help from Aaron Smith to generate pass rush on their own. Polamalu added some spice and there was some inside blitzing from Farrior, but it really wasn't the randomness and odd fronts that had characterized previous teams. With potentially zero LB's that need protected in coverage (like Farrior, Foote, Harrison, and Woodley all did to an extent) and young down linemen that can move a bit, I'm excited for the potential return of just random-ass pass-rushers and funky formations that befuddle the opposition.

BigNastyDefense
06-18-2014, 07:33 PM
This line of argument is both stupid and lazy. My two sportswriting pet peeves. It is simply recycling old, tired storylines. Steelers coverage is particularly susceptible to this because of their organizational and schematic stability.

As long as Lebeau walks the halls of the facility, there will be no switching away from a base 3-4. The man damn near invented the modern 3-4 defense. Given that the designated in-house replacement for LeBeau has basically apprenticed under the same system his whole professional coaching career, a switch in the future doesn't seem likely.

As others mentioned, look at the draft. How could it get any more stereotypically Lebeau 3-4'ish?

A massive NT - check
Large potentially disruptive end? - check
Speedy tackle machine with a high football IQ to man the center of the field and potentially be the replacement for the "wildcard" role of Polamalu? - check
An almost complete devaluing of DB's in favor of disruptive players? - Check

I could go on and on, but the entire off-season looks like a retooling and rebuilding of a zone-blitz 3-4 scheme far more than the beginning of a phased transition to a 4-3.

I personally feel that this season will see a return of the "mad scientist" style from Lebeau. With all the youth and speed at his disposal his options will really be opened up. During the last run of defensive dominance, he seemed to be content on relying on Harrison and Woodley with help from Aaron Smith to generate pass rush on their own. Polamalu added some spice and there was some inside blitzing from Farrior, but it really wasn't the randomness and odd fronts that had characterized previous teams. With potentially zero LB's that need protected in coverage (like Farrior, Foote, Harrison, and Woodley all did to an extent) and young down linemen that can move a bit, I'm excited for the potential return of just random-ass pass-rushers and funky formations that befuddle the opposition.

I would love that. I want to see quarterbacks flinging their helmets to the ground in frustration because they thought they knew what was coming, just to get thwacked into the turf because it wasn't at all what they thought.

I also hope Manziel opens the season for Cleveland and our defense makes him a permanent fixture of the Heinz Field turf.