PDA

View Full Version : Worilds

Dwinsgames
06-16-2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/06/16/steelers-should-let-jason-worilds-walk-in-2015/?utm_term=%23steelers+%23steelernation+%23NFL&utm_content=%23steelers+%23steelernation+%23NFL&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

pretty good read and basically how I feel

Drazo85
06-16-2014, 09:29 AM
If he misses any game this season, then let him go. Steelers dont need another Woodley type contract hanging around their neck.

GBMelBlount
06-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I will be very disappointed if Worilds doesn't pan out and Jones has a lackluster season and we have to spend another early pick on linebacker.

Reminds me a bit of our offensive line situation.

Sigh.

Shoes
06-16-2014, 11:12 AM
http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/06/16/steelers-should-let-jason-worilds-walk-in-2015/?utm_term=%23steelers+%23steelernation+%23NFL&utm_content=%23steelers+%23steelernation+%23NFL&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

pretty good read and basically how I feel

Same here. Worilds troubles me, there is something missing in that package.

tube517
06-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Worilds played well last year but the whole Woodley contract debacle leaves me cautious.

Psycho Ward 86
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
If he misses any game this season, then let him go. Steelers dont need another Woodley type contract hanging around their neck.

i agree. although, in his defense, he has actually missed very little actual gametime due to injury.

To me, what worries me most isnt necessarily about what side he plays on since based on last season, it seems he can only play on one side, but WHO plays in front of him. Cameron Heyward looked like a budding superstar last season, and anytime worilds played on his side, he looked that way as well. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Would be awesome if Chidi looked into it.

And Cameron is switching sides this season. Maybe that will give us a rude awakening into pre-2013 jason worilds. Maybe it will make jarvis jones look good though. Just a thought. For the immediate 2014 season,im much more concerned about the DE spot opposite of heyward than i am of either OLB spot

ALLD
06-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Steelers said they made their best offer and it's take it or leave it. Worilds was talked up by Tomlin when he was relatively unknown. To me he looks more like a Mike Wallace system type player rather than the second coming of Jack Lambert.

Mojouw
06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Sigh. The contract that Woodley signed was never the problem. It was the restructures. That is on the team and the front office for misjudging the viability of Woodley's health/performance going forward.

If the deal had never been restructured half a billion times, he might still be on the team.

For Worilds it comes down to whether or not the Steelers see him as a legit pass-rusher who finally developed, or as a product of the system and a bit above average ability.

Dwinsgames
06-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Sigh. The contract that Woodley signed was never the problem. It was the restructures. That is on the team and the front office for misjudging the viability of Woodley's health/performance going forward.

If the deal had never been restructured half a billion times, he might still be on the team.

For Worilds it comes down to whether or not the Steelers see him as a legit pass-rusher who finally developed, or as a product of the system and a bit above average ability.

granted the restructures where a HUGE issue with the Woodley deal , on top of that the availability status ....

Problem is with Worilds the team has made its best offer , Worilds declined .....

anything further offered from the team is paying for potential and tossing the proverbial dice on " future availability " and considering he has not proved to be the most durable of players to date ...

breaking the bank would be a stupid move and put you back into the same situation as keeping Woodley would have had us ....

HollywoodSteel
06-16-2014, 05:46 PM
The only other thing worth considering is that you have to factor in the cost (mostly in lost time) of anyone new coming in and learning our system. As we all know, that never happens instantly for our OLBs. And really, we'd have to be talking about bringing someone else in to replace him, whether that be through free agency or the draft. I don't think we have another OLB on the roster currently that we'd feel comfortable starting on a regular basis. Definitely not Carter, and Moats is only on a one year deal himself.

We are a bit flush with ILBs at the moment. Could we move anyone outside? The idea makes me nervous seeing as Timmons couldn't even do it well. If Spence changes positions it would more likely be to safety than OLB. I don't know much about our rookie from UCLA. Could anyone see him moving outside after being in the system for a year?

Dwinsgames
06-16-2014, 05:55 PM
The only other thing worth considering is that you have to factor in the cost (mostly in lost time) of anyone new coming in and learning our system. As we all know, that never happens instantly for our OLBs. And really, we'd have to be talking about bringing someone else in to replace him, whether that be through free agency or the draft. I don't think we have another OLB on the roster currently that we'd feel comfortable starting on a regular basis. Definitely not Carter, and Moats is only on a one year deal himself.

We are a bit flush with ILBs at the moment. Could we move anyone outside? The idea makes me nervous seeing as Timmons couldn't even do it well. If Spence changes positions it would more likely be to safety than OLB. I don't know much about our rookie from UCLA. Could anyone see him moving outside after being in the system for a year?

maybe Howard Jones , but the NFL from Shepherd is a pretty big leap and as much as I like his ability he is far from a sure thing , also not the quickest learner from what I have read so deck is stacked against him in a difficult system and he is a bit to light at 6-4 -238 to be effective consistently so needs to put on weight , get stronger and learn a system in 1 year or less

Tall Order

Iron Steeler
06-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Sean spence is gonna sneak in as a starter . Not a good year Worilds we got plenty of lbs that want your job for less money .

Psycho Ward 86
06-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Ryan Shazier would excel. But good god, that would be a hell of a waste of his diverse skill set to keep him out at OLB. I fear that what is going to end up happening for the 2015 season is that we will have to kick ryan shazier outside and have sean spence take his ILB spot due to the likely loss of Worilds. People seem to be pretty chill about losing Worilds, but this defense will lose firepower at more than one position if he is gone (an OLB and ILB spot). Shazier is far too good and far too many things to be best utilized at OLB as opposed to ILB.

steelreserve
06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

The original Woodley contract was most definitely the problem. It was a $10 million cap hit on average whether you restructured it or not. The restructures made it even worse, but I don't think that was what killed us. Yeah, $14 million is worse than $10 million, but either amount is a crippling contract. We were stupid, stupid, stupid to get into that. At the time, the franchise tag was $9M or $10M a year, and we actually gave him more than that for multiple years. Stupid.

As far as Worilds goes, I think that situation is pretty much decided already. He has a halfway decent season, he's going somewhere else for a Powerball contract. He has a crappy season, he's going somewhere else for a prove-it contract. Either way, it's hard to envision a scenario in which he's a Steeler past this season. Funny thing is, in either of those situations, I'm perfectly happy with that outcome.

As for all this "omg who will play linebacker if he goes omg we'll HAVE to use another #1 draft pick" garbage - please. As of last count, we have five guys who could be starters (Worilds, Timmons, Shazier, Jones, Moats), three guys who are probably at least serviceable as backups (Williams, Wilson, Spence), plus an unknown rookie draft pick. Losing one guy from that group is not going to kill us. Yes, I for one am perfectly comfortable having only two or three star linebackers instead of four. I have no idea why people have such a completely unrealistic expectation for that position that they're willing to sacrifice the rest of the team to try and sustain it.

Psycho Ward 86
06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
The original Woodley contract was most definitely the problem. It was a $10 million cap hit on average whether you restructured it or not. The restructures made it even worse, but I don't think that was what killed us. Yeah, $14 million is worse than $10 million, but either amount is a crippling contract. We were stupid, stupid, stupid to get into that. At the time, the franchise tag was $9M or $10M a year, and we actually gave him more than that for multiple years. Stupid.

As far as Worilds goes, I think that situation is pretty much decided already. He has a halfway decent season, he's going somewhere else for a Powerball contract. He has a crappy season, he's going somewhere else for a prove-it contract. Either way, it's hard to envision a scenario in which he's a Steeler past this season. Funny thing is, in either of those situations, I'm perfectly happy with that outcome.

As for all this "omg who will play linebacker if he goes omg we'll HAVE to use another #1 draft pick" garbage - please. As of last count, we have five guys who could be starters (Worilds, Timmons, Shazier, Jones, Moats), three guys who are probably at least serviceable as backups (Williams, Wilson, Spence), plus an unknown rookie draft pick. Losing one guy from that group is not going to kill us. Yes, I for one am perfectly comfortable having only two or three star linebackers instead of four. I have no idea why people have such a completely unrealistic expectation for that position that they're willing to sacrifice the rest of the team to try and sustain it.

id be ok with this as well if not for my uncertainty with how good Arthur Moats actually is as a full time starter. If he can play a shade under a Clark Haggans level, im totally down to let worilds walk. After that, its just up to jarvis to pan out. Lets hope he goes through a Cameron Jordan-type developmental arc, and not a Vernon Gholston one.

Chidi29
06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
i agree. although, in his defense, he has actually missed very little actual gametime due to injury.

To me, what worries me most isnt necessarily about what side he plays on since based on last season, it seems he can only play on one side, but WHO plays in front of him. Cameron Heyward looked like a budding superstar last season, and anytime worilds played on his side, he looked that way as well. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Would be awesome if Chidi looked into it.

And Cameron is switching sides this season. Maybe that will give us a rude awakening into pre-2013 jason worilds. Maybe it will make jarvis jones look good though. Just a thought. For the immediate 2014 season,im much more concerned about the DE spot opposite of heyward than i am of either OLB spot

What would you want me to look at? Where Heyward lined up on Worilds' sacks? On the surface, I don't know how much of an effect there would be. More correlation than causation, potentially. I'm not sure how much Heyward is really "switching sides" in 2014, either. He played both end spots extensively. They all did, except Hood. He was strictly a LDE.

steelreserve
06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
id be ok with this as well if not for my uncertainty with how good Arthur Moats actually is as a full time starter. If he can play a shade under a Clark Haggans level, im totally down to let worilds walk. After that, its just up to jarvis to pan out. Lets hope he goes through a Cameron Jordan-type developmental arc, and not a Vernon Gholston one.

Yeah, basically as long as Moats (or anyone else we brought in) doesn't completely suck, I think we'd be fine. What I've seen of him so far is a player who's decent and shown flashes, who might be good. That's totally fine in my book when the alternative is $10M and a big question mark. There's also the hope that either Spence, Williams or the rookie turns out to be good enough to be the fourth linebacker. I don't think we know enough about any of them to say they're capable or not capable, but the numbers are on our side. Basically all we need is for 1 out of 3 of them - 1 out of 4 if you count Moats - to turn out as an acceptable starter.

Again, not great, just acceptable. Clark Haggans. Larry Foote on a good day. That's all. IMO we would have to be extremely unlucky not to get at least one out of that group.

Psycho Ward 86
06-17-2014, 01:49 PM
What would you want me to look at? Where Heyward lined up on Worilds' sacks? On the surface, I don't know how much of an effect there would be. More correlation than causation, potentially. I'm not sure how much Heyward is really "switching sides" in 2014, either. He played both end spots extensively. They all did, except Hood. He was strictly a LDE.

just a comparison of how jason worilds performs when playing on the same side as cameron heyward vs. how he plays playing on the same side as anyone else. if you get around to it. ive been keeping up with your stuff on steelers depot, keep it up!

Chidi29
06-17-2014, 01:58 PM
just a comparison of how jason worilds performs when playing on the same side as cameron heyward vs. how he plays playing on the same side as anyone else. if you get around to it. ive been keeping up with your stuff on steelers depot, keep it up!

Thanks for reading! I can look at it a little but I really do think the two are not strongly related. A bigger factor would be things like the tackle he's going against, any wrinkles in the scheme, etc.

tube517
06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/06/steelers-lb-jason-worilds-gets-positional-group-work-tuesday-practice/

Mojouw
06-18-2014, 10:39 AM
My point on the Woodley deal was that the original terms of the contract and the associated yearly cap hits (@ least as far as I remember them) were very much in line with Woodley's performance to date, reasonable projections for future performance, his age, and league-wide comparable player contracts. It goes without saying that he got a bump in the dollars due to being a member of a championship/playoff team. Then he got hurt, was never really the same again, and the restructures pushed the money into a situation where Woodley's performance and availability no longer aligned with his pay structure.

Also the emergence of Worilds kinda forced the Steelers to pick between the two. They choose the younger and (at least in a relative sense) healthier player. Now it is basically the same situation. How "big" is the team willing to roll the dice on Worilds next 2-4 years of performance?

Mojouw
06-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah, basically as long as Moats (or anyone else we brought in) doesn't completely suck, I think we'd be fine. What I've seen of him so far is a player who's decent and shown flashes, who might be good. That's totally fine in my book when the alternative is $10M and a big question mark. There's also the hope that either Spence, Williams or the rookie turns out to be good enough to be the fourth linebacker. I don't think we know enough about any of them to say they're capable or not capable, but the numbers are on our side. Basically all we need is for 1 out of 3 of them - 1 out of 4 if you count Moats - to turn out as an acceptable starter.

Again, not great, just acceptable. Clark Haggans. Larry Foote on a good day. That's all. IMO we would have to be extremely unlucky not to get at least one out of that group.

While I don't totally disagree; I will quibble a bit. Who rushes the passer in this scenario? Jones has demonstrated little ability for that at the NFL level and while all are hopeful he can develop, he is now going against left tackles after showing almost nothing against right tackles. And for the argument that rookie OLB's are never good, I would point to Clay Matthews, Aldon Smith, and Bruce Irvin who at least were successful in limited roles as pass rushers in their rookie years. Timmons has looked lost and miscast whenever he has been forced to move outside. At least currently, it is clear that the Steelers have coverage and run-stopping responsibilities in mind for Shazier rather than an edge pass rushing role. Spence is simply too small to take on tackles in the NFL. That leaves Carter and Moats. Many here are calling for Carter to not even make the team, and he very well may not. So Moats. That means that on a Steelers roster with no Jason Worilds and no use of a high draft pick on an edge rush prospect, the entire non-blitz package pass rush responsibilities would fall to the 3 down linemen and a 3rd year OLB with zero track record of pass rushing success and a guy who was signed for darn near the minimum with a reputation as run-stopper and until draft day was being projected as an inside linebacker.

Is that the definition of acceptable? While I also do not believe that there is a need or a mandate to roll out 4 first round picks and 4 $10 million plus players at the LB position, there is a need to put fundamentally dangerous edge players on the field at the LB'er level. And I hate to say it, but despite all of the money and draft resources put into the position group, Jason Worilds is the only "proven" edge rusher on the entire roster.

That was a totally depressing sentence to write.

Dwinsgames
06-18-2014, 11:04 AM
My point on the Woodley deal was that the original terms of the contract and the associated yearly cap hits (@ least as far as I remember them) were very much in line with Woodley's performance to date, reasonable projections for future performance, his age, and league-wide comparable player contracts. It goes without saying that he got a bump in the dollars due to being a member of a championship/playoff team. Then he got hurt, was never really the same again, and the restructures pushed the money into a situation where Woodley's performance and availability no longer aligned with his pay structure.

Also the emergence of Worilds kinda forced the Steelers to pick between the two. They choose the younger and (at least in a relative sense) healthier player. Now it is basically the same situation. How "big" is the team willing to roll the dice on Worilds next 2-4 years of performance?

what the actual number is , is a virtual unknown to the free world but Worilds and his agent knows it and are not happy with it to the point they turned it down cold ...

what we do know is the Team has said that is their top offer ...

that being said someone has to give or Worilds hits the market in 2015 and we will need to position ourselves accordingly ....

Personally I would rather leave him walk than to over pay for his services ( he is already being over paid in 2014 IMO )

talented but unreliable medically , half the battle is being active and ready to play

Mojouw
06-18-2014, 11:23 AM
what the actual number is , is a virtual unknown to the free world but Worilds and his agent knows it and are not happy with it to the point they turned it down cold ...

what we do know is the Team has said that is their top offer ...

that being said someone has to give or Worilds hits the market in 2015 and we will need to position ourselves accordingly ....

Personally I would rather leave him walk than to over pay for his services ( he is already being over paid in 2014 IMO )

talented but unreliable medically , half the battle is being active and ready to play

If the Steelers' offer was under the value of the transition tag this year and the (projected) value of the franchise tag next year, it may have been fiscally a good decision, but a stupid one strategically. No way that Worilds doesn't bet big on himself and refuse to play under what his "known" salaries for the next two years are/could be.

I have no idea what an offer would look like that would do this, but the Steelers are going to have to top the dollar amount of those two tags or Worilds will never even consider it. Nor should he. Why sign a contract for less than you are already almost certain to make?

GBMelBlount
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Between spence, worilds, shazier and jones it appears there are a lot of unanswered questions at the linebacker position.

It should be an interesting year.

Dwinsgames
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
If the Steelers' offer was under the value of the transition tag this year and the (projected) value of the franchise tag next year, it may have been fiscally a good decision, but a stupid one strategically. No way that Worilds doesn't bet big on himself and refuse to play under what his "known" salaries for the next two years are/could be.

I have no idea what an offer would look like that would do this, but the Steelers are going to have to top the dollar amount of those two tags or Worilds will never even consider it. Nor should he. Why sign a contract for less than you are already almost certain to make?

that is where we disagree fundamentally ... the whole Idea of a long term contract is security if players felt their best interest was in highest $ amount per year we would never see Free agents of any top caliber talent because their respected teams would just keep nailing them with the Tag over and over and over again until they no longer where worth it ....

the whole Idea of longterm deals are to get players for an extended period of time at a fair rate while for the players it offers them some amount of guarantee toward future earnings and " insurance of sorts" against injury that they will still be paid ( signing bonus money , contract guarantees etc )

Mojouw
06-18-2014, 01:13 PM
that is where we disagree fundamentally ... the whole Idea of a long term contract is security if players felt their best interest was in highest $ amount per year we would never see Free agents of any top caliber talent because their respected teams would just keep nailing them with the Tag over and over and over again until they no longer where worth it ....

the whole Idea of longterm deals are to get players for an extended period of time at a fair rate while for the players it offers them some amount of guarantee toward future earnings and " insurance of sorts" against injury that they will still be paid ( signing bonus money , contract guarantees etc )

Wouldn't Worilds' camp figure that the franchise tag next year or the big free agent offer goes north of $9 million in some for of year 1 guaranteed cash if he has a double digit sack campaign this season? So if he bets on himself, he is going to get a monster payday. Why wouldn't a 26 year old athlete go all in on his abilities and perception of invincibility? I am not saying that I see it as a great idea, but I think it is pretty clear that this is where most NFL players are coming from when they are negotiating their 2nd contract. It seems the trade-off between dollars and security comes during the 3rd contract where older veteran players know that they could get cut any season after 28+.

None of this is any clearer than mud w/out the terms of the Steelers offer being known. Based on past history (Wallace comes to mind) those #'s will not leak out from the Steelers.

No matter what, it is going to be bumpy ride with the LB'ers this season and upcoming off-season.

Craic
06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Wouldn't Worilds' camp figure that the franchise tag next year or the big free agent offer goes north of $9 million in some for of year 1 guaranteed cash if he has a double digit sack campaign this season? So if he bets on himself, he is going to get a monster payday. Why wouldn't a 26 year old athlete go all in on his abilities and perception of invincibility? I am not saying that I see it as a great idea, but I think it is pretty clear that this is where most NFL players are coming from when they are negotiating their 2nd contract. It seems the trade-off between dollars and security comes during the 3rd contract where older veteran players know that they could get cut any season after 28+.

None of this is any clearer than mud w/out the terms of the Steelers offer being known. Based on past history (Wallace comes to mind) those #'s will not leak out from the Steelers.

No matter what, it is going to be bumpy ride with the LB'ers this season and upcoming off-season.

Because he's watched so many around him drop like flies. Because he (hopefully) has an agent that's reminding him that all it takes is one play and his season is over, as are his plans for a big payday.

Mojouw
06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Because he's watched so many around him drop like flies. Because he (hopefully) has an agent that's reminding him that all it takes is one play and his season is over, as are his plans for a big payday.

Don't hold your breath. I see your's and other's points. I really do. But that being said...

No agent (or at least very few of these parasites) will willfully reduce his commission payout by encouraging his client to take less money.

Also, gotta figure pro athletes suffer from the same infallibility illusion that we all do in our 20's.

I don't see a scenario, especially since Worilds' camp has assisted in making it known that he rejected a long-term deal, where Worilds doesn't go for some sort of maxed out deal.

If he hits 10 or more sacks and stays healthy the yearly money will start at 10-12 million.

By no means am I saying he is worth it, but that is the neighborhood he will expect to be hanging out in. Anything less will be dismissed out of hand in my belief.

Bluecoat96
06-18-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm on my iPhone, so my cutting and pasting of articles here doesn't work real well. I just read an article from Mark Kaboly that said Worlids' rejection of an offer from the Steelers was a flat out lie. No offer has been made yet.

Chidi29
06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Just for the record, if he gets tagged, at minimum it'll cost 11.7 million. 120% more than his base salary from the past year or top 5/10, depending on the tag, whichever is greater.

Dwinsgames
06-18-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm on my iPhone, so my cutting and pasting of articles here doesn't work real well. I just read an article from Mark Kaboly that said Worlids' rejection of an offer from the Steelers was a flat out lie. No offer has been made yet.

just read that as well ...

but also see from high end sorces ( for whatever that is worth ) he has rejected one ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243344/jason-worilds

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5701/jason-worilds

so it is a matter of who you believe Kaboly or Mr Ed ( the supposed insider )

Bluecoat96
06-18-2014, 03:22 PM
just read that as well ...

but also see from high end sorces ( for whatever that is worth ) he has rejected one ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1243344/jason-worilds

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5701/jason-worilds

so it is a matter of who you believe Kaboly or Mr Ed ( the supposed insider )

They're all a bunch of crooks. I don't believe any of them. Lol

steelreserve
06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Don't hold your breath. I see your's and other's points. I really do. But that being said...

No agent (or at least very few of these parasites) will willfully reduce his commission payout by encouraging his client to take less money.

Also, gotta figure pro athletes suffer from the same infallibility illusion that we all do in our 20's.

I don't see a scenario, especially since Worilds' camp has assisted in making it known that he rejected a long-term deal, where Worilds doesn't go for some sort of maxed out deal.

If he hits 10 or more sacks and stays healthy the yearly money will start at 10-12 million.

By no means am I saying he is worth it, but that is the neighborhood he will expect to be hanging out in. Anything less will be dismissed out of hand in my belief.

Agree with you 100% on all of the above.

The highlighted part, although you're exactly right, is where some common sense needs to come into play. Basically what is going to happen is you multiply his sack total this year by $1 million, and that's the contract offer he'll get. $1 million per sack. Is that worth it? Well - no way, duh.

What's more, take what you're getting above replacement (baseball term, but it applies here). I figure that in the OLB position on a 3-4 defense, over a full season you can expect 4 or 5 sacks from any random player who you plug in at minimum salary, just by showing up. Yes, there are other aspects to playing OLB, like how well you tackle and cover and play defense in general, but unless you really excel at those things, you're getting paid based on sacks. So what you're really getting for your $10-12 million is five additional sacks per season. That's so not worth it, it's not even funny.

So, the other question is, what else could you do with that money? Well, the success of pass-rushing OLBs depends a ton on how well the defensive line does its job. Those guys get blocked one-on-one, then it means no sack for the pass rushers. Last season, we had two guys who that happened to on a regular basis: Hood and whoever happened to be playing nose tackle. Hampton and Aaron Smith probably created an additional 5 sacks apiece for our linebackers every year, in addition to whatever they got themselves. Ziggy Hood and that nose tackle by committee bullshit probably cost the linebackers 5 sacks each. Did we fix that? Maybe halfway. Aha! Maybe some of that $12 million could do us more good if we used it there. Or maybe on cornerbacks, for that matter. Now we're starting to get how this works. Meanwhile, Worilds can go join the Miami Kneejerks or whoever gives out those kinds of blockbuster contracts these days. We'd probably be better off for it.

ALLD
06-18-2014, 05:37 PM
They might be better off to deal him before the trade deadline if they can get at least a 3rd and a 5th or a 2nd.

BigNastyDefense
06-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Steelers made their max offer, according to reports.

Worilds has never had double digit sacks in a season. He had 8 last season, he had 9 games where he didn't record a sack. That shows inconsistency, IMHO.

I agree, he either has a monster season and leaves for the biggest contract offered (which won't be in Pittsburgh) or he flops and we let him walk and he signs a one-year deal somewhere else. Either way, unless he somehow comes to an agreement with the Steelers before the season starts which is doubtful, this will be his last season as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Count Steeler
06-18-2014, 08:15 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/06/18/kaboly-worilds-not-offered-a-contract-by-steelers/#axzz352kSfIyS

I was told that Worilds was not offered a contract by the Steelers and that there have been no talks between the two sides since Worilds agreed to the transition tag three months ago. It was recently reported that Worilds rejected a contract offer by the Steelers, which remains on the table.It is not unusual for there to be two different stories during contract negotiations. In fact, it’s the norm, so take it for what is worth.

steelreserve
06-18-2014, 09:46 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/06/18/kaboly-worilds-not-offered-a-contract-by-steelers/#axzz352kSfIyS

[/FONT][/COLOR]I was told that Worilds was not offered a contract by the Steelers and that there have been no talks between the two sides since Worilds agreed to the transition tag three months ago. It was recently reported that Worilds rejected a contract offer by the Steelers, which remains on the table.It is not unusual for there to be two different stories during contract negotiations. In fact, it’s the norm, so take it for what is worth.

Well, there you have it. Maybe he just likes being a tranny.

Craic
06-18-2014, 10:45 PM

An agent also needs to do two things: (1) give the player the best advice possible so that the agent can keep getting paid long term; a blown out knee and a vet. min salary thereafter if he's lucky doesn't do that; and (2) make sure that he has a reputation of taking care of his players, otherwise, he won't be in the business very long.

Pro athletes might suffer from that, but they're also more keenly aware of their buddies who, at the same age, are getting knees destroyed, concussions and head injuries that are making them sit two or three games, etc. They're faced more with their mortality on a weekly basis than most of us are at that age (excluding, obviously, the military).

That being said, I'm not saying your wrong and Worilds will sign a deal. Rather, I was pointing out that there are reasons why he'd look at himself and not think that he was invincible, and I think that's back up by a number of players who have come out against the tag for the precise reason that I'm arguing.