PDA

View Full Version : Steelers receiver Justin Brown continues to progress in workouts

polamalubeast
06-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Antonio Brown was a sixth-round draft selection by the Steelers just like Justin Brown.

Antonio Brown had established veterans ahead of him on the depth chart heading into his second season just like Justin Brown does this year.

However, there is one glaring difference between the two — Antonio Brown, who went on to surpass 1,000 yards receiving by his second season — never got the opportunity Justin Brown is getting this spring.

“No, no, not this early on,” Antonio Brown said.

The Steelers took a good look at Justin Brown during the recently completed three weeks of spring practices by giving him first-team reps alongside Antonio Brown and Lance Moore before ramping up the frequency with the top unit by the end of the sessions. He's worked at all three positions with the first-team reps coming in three receiver sets.

Heading into the final stretch of offseason workouts cumulating with a three-day minicamp starting Tuesday, it could be much of the same for the 6-foot-3 receiver who spent all 17 weeks of his rookie season last year on the practice squad.

“It is definitely good getting some reps with the ones,” Brown said. “When my number is called I am just trying make sure that I ready and I know what I am doing. I've noticed (the Steelers taking a long look at him) and it's definitely encouraging.”

No one expects Justin Brown to have a jump from obscurity to a 1,000-yard season in a year like Antonio Brown, but the Steelers want to see if he's capable. There is a need at the position after losing 113 catches and 16 touchdowns from a year ago when the defections of free agents Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6280058-74/brown-steelers-antonio#ixzz34lLgpGyC
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GBMelBlount
06-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Exciting battle to come at the WR position.

Cannot wait to see who establishes themselves.

Looking forward to seeing how Moye does as well.