PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Have Had Preliminary Contract Extension Talks With T Marcus Gilbert

polamalubeast
06-15-2014, 10:47 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/06/steelers-preliminary-contract-extension-talks-t-marcus-gilbert/

steelreserve
06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I sure hope they're not planning on some 4-year, $20M deal, which seems to be the standard for any lineman who can breathe after his rookie contract expires. Yeah, maybe he'll turn the corner with a new coach, but he sure hasn't done much to show we can count on it. $5M is a lot of money for a what-if.

X-Terminator
06-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I sure hope they're not planning on some 4-year, $20M deal, which seems to be the standard for any lineman who can breathe after his rookie contract expires. Yeah, maybe he'll turn the corner with a new coach, but he sure hasn't done much to show we can count on it. $5M is a lot of money for a what-if.

He hasn't done anything to demand that kind of salary to boot. He'll get a 4-year extension most likely, but I hope it's for around $12-15 million. $20 million would be ridiculous.

Steelerette
06-15-2014, 02:31 PM
I'd be pleased with $12mm over four years. Because while he's been inconsistent I don't think he's been awful, he should be about ready to take the next step and Munch should be able to get him there... if he blossoms then we've got a starter at a bargain -- and if not, hey, that's a decent contract, maybe a little high but still decent, for a guy who can backup probably both tackle spots and guard.

polamalubeast
06-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Gilbert will wait if the steelers not offer at least 5 million per year....Many very average OL makes at least $ 5 million per year

And not forget that the steelers have already given 6 millions per year at Willie 'false start' Colon

Mojouw
06-15-2014, 02:57 PM
4 million per year may get it done if they can get Gilbert to sign prior to the season and any increased success. He has a good year or even finishes strong, someone will pay him around 5 million per based on these #'s.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/right-tackle/limit-25/

GBMelBlount
06-15-2014, 03:33 PM
4 million per year may get it done if they can get Gilbert to sign prior to the season and any increased success. He has a good year or even finishes strong, someone will pay him around 5 million per based on these #'s.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/right-tackle/limit-25/

The median (16-17) is around 2 mil.

Why should we pay him 4-5 mil if he is average.

86WARD
06-15-2014, 04:29 PM
I'd be more pleased if this read:

Steelers Have Had Serious Contract Extension Talks With QB Ben Roethlisberger

zulater
06-15-2014, 10:39 PM
No!

Shoes
06-15-2014, 10:45 PM
No!

:chuckle:

Steeldude
06-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Gilbert has only proven to be average on his best day. I hope the Steelers aren't fooled by another Woodley case. Lowball this guy. Give him no more than $1.5 mil a season, tops. Let him walk if he doesn't like it.

TMC
06-16-2014, 06:01 AM
The median (16-17) is around 2 mil.

Why should we pay him 4-5 mil if he is average.

That is the median for all right tackle contracts, which includes an abundance of rookie deals. You need to look at the 2nd contracts of right tackles to determine the true value. Most of those start at $4 million. That is likely your floor. Anything less would be a bargain and anything over $5 million a season might be overpaying.

HollywoodSteel
06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't want to be the guy to negotiate with Gilbert. You'd be lucky to get out of the room without a knee injury.

Mojouw
06-16-2014, 03:45 PM
That is the median for all right tackle contracts, which includes an abundance of rookie deals. You need to look at the 2nd contracts of right tackles to determine the true value. Most of those start at $4 million. That is likely your floor. Anything less would be a bargain and anything over $5 million a season might be overpaying.

What he said.

Chidi29
06-16-2014, 04:32 PM
What I would extend him to.

3 year/12.3 mil, 4.5 bonus. 1st yr (rookie) base and 2nd year guaranteed
2015 base: 2 mil
16: 2.5
17: 2.5

Total of 7.3 guaranteed

TMC
06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
I think that the deal will likely be near what Zach Strief received. I would hope that is the ballpark they are playing in. Strief signed earlier this season, returning to the Saints. Strief signed a 5-year deal for $20 million with $5.5 million to sign. That is the area I think Gilbert will look to be and I think that is an area that is comfortable for the Steelers. It places him just outside the top 10 right now, but when those rookies start coming up, he will likely slide near 20 or lower. Gilbert is 26. He turned 26 in February. What I would attempt to do is add 5 years in an extension. Strief was heading to free agency, played out his old contract. So, Gilbert's salary of $815,103 would remain. I would give him the signing bonus this season. Say it is $5 million. That means he gets $1 million amortized over the next five seasons and you have $15 million in salary to pay over the final five, or $3 million a season. The cap hits would look like this:
2014-$1.815103 million.
2015-$1M signing bonus+ $2M salary= $3M cap hit
2016-$1M signing bonus+ $3M salary= $4M cap hit
2017-$1M signing bonus+ $3M salary= $4M cap hit
2018-$1M signing bonus+ $3M salary= $4M cap hit
2019-no SB, $4M salary=$4M cap hit

So, it can be touted as a 5-year extension for $20 million with $5 million to sign. Heck, they could even guarantee the salary next season if they like to push up the guaranteed cash. The $4M cap hit is small enough, around what they paid Sean Mahan. It is in line with some of the more recent RT deals, but since you are doing it a season early, you get to keep the cap hits down.

steelreserve
06-17-2014, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they gave an escalating contract that we could get out of ... $2M or $2.5M for the next couple of seasons, increasing to $4M or $5M for two seasons after that, but we can get out of most of the last part if he performs poorly.

Basically he's not worth anything near the $5M "standard" now, so don't pay him that yet, but give him the chance to earn it if he does improve, and then everybody's happy. From what I know of him, Gilbert seems like a reasonable guy who's first and foremost happy to be playing football for a living, and doesn't have some inflated perception of himself. If there was a better indication of whether he'll turn the corner, he'd be the first guy I'd want to reward. Unfortunately, the year we find that out with a real OL coach is also the year his contract is up, so ... awkwaaaard