PDA

View Full Version : Steelers lineman Marcus Gilbert can take big jump in 2014

GBMelBlount
06-15-2014, 06:10 AM
Gilbert is scheduled to make $815,000 this season, and he can expect to at least quadruple his salary in his next contract. The market was set for Gilbert earlier this year when the top available free-agent right tackles secured deals worth between $4 million and $6 million per season.

The best free-agent deal for a right tackle belonged to Austin Howard, who signed a five-year, $30 million deal with the Raiders. Michael Oher was next with a four-year, $20 million deal with the Titans and Breno Giacomini followed with a four-year, $18 million contract with the Jets.

Of that trio, only Giacomini had a better overall grade than Gilbert in 2013, according to Pro Football Focus. Giacomini was the 41st-ranked tackle in the league. Gilbert was No. 44, followed by Howard at No. 47 and Oher at No. 68.

"I love it here," he said. "I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. My agent is working on that. I'm not worried about it. I'm just coming out here trying to get better, trying to become a complete player, trying to win a Super Bowl. I know the guys we have up front -- they drafted us there for a reason -- we're the group that can get us over the hump. It's time now. It's time for us to get going. Every guy has a chip on their shoulder."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/06/15/Steelers-lineman-Marcus-Gilbert-can-take-big-jump-in-2014/stories/201406150119#ixzz34hm8JtzB

TMC
06-15-2014, 10:48 AM
This is something that was talked about prior to the draft. I was on the side of "if a LT fell to them they should take him". If they drafted a LT, then you could potentially play Beachum on the right or the rookie on the right while he developed or some mix of those two guys. Since they did not grab a guy that can come in quickly, you are kind of in a bind. Do you extend Gilbert? Do you let him walk and hand the job to Adams, and then look at extending him if he works? Do you sign a guy off the street? Kind of a sticky situation.

I think if they sign Gilbert long-term, and if the money is right, he is decent enough I guess, then it further secures the lnie for the next 5 years or so. I doubt they let DeCastro or Beachum walk. So, you should be looking at 4 of your 5 starters for a while with someone either coming in at LG or Beachum kicking down while they add a LT.

At least they would have stabilized the line.