PDA

View Full Version : History of Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak

polamalubeast
06-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Mike Munchak was the offensive line coach of the Tennessee Titans for 14 seasons. I thought I'd take a look at what happened during that time.

First off, as the phrase goes, coaches coach and players play, let's try to remember that.

First, the passing game. (Cleveland and Houston will not be considered in any stats because they weren't around for the whole time period)

From 1997-2010 The Tennessee Titans allowed the second fewest sacks of any team in the NFL, just behind Indianapolis and the unsackable Peyton Manning.

It helps that during that time they threw the 3rd fewest passes, but the Steelers gave up the 8th most sacks while throwing the least passes during that same span. The Titans also recorded the 2nd fewest games with 3 or more sacks at 78, compared to the Steelers 118.

During those 14 years the Titans ranked in the top 3 for lowest sack percentage (percentage of pass plays ending in a sack) 5 times, top 10 8 times, and in the bottom half of the league twice. (17th in 1997, 23rd in 2004) I won't even bother comparing that to the Steelers rankings, because it is pathetic and we all know that. In 2012 when Ben was hit the least since 2005 we ranked 15th.

read more

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/6/4/5779732/mike-munchak-by-the-numbers

Craic
06-13-2014, 07:27 PM
I guess the fact that the Titans also had a very good QB that could also run the ball—and thus plays a completely different style to Ben—played no part in those stats whatsoever. I always love these types of write-ups that completely ignore the context of the game.

Butch
06-13-2014, 09:04 PM
I have to say that I am excited to see what he is going to bring to our line. I have high expectations and I think we have the right man for the job. I guess we will see how it all pans out.

TMC
06-15-2014, 11:03 AM
I guess the fact that the Titans also had a very good QB that could also run the ball—and thus plays a completely different style to Ben—played no part in those stats whatsoever. I always love these types of write-ups that completely ignore the context of the game.

Since the data goes back to 1997, which included the Kordell Stewart era, it could be argued that they also had a running QB. The Titans also had Volek, Collins, and Hasselbeck in that time frame, pretty immobile guys. McNair and Young actually took most of their sacks.

The Titans have a very good line. Always seem to be one of their better areas. The Steelers had a decent line from 2002 to 2007, which is also included in that data. They just have struggled some and need to get back. I think Munchak helps significantly.