PDA

View Full Version : Robinson: Steelers judged to have NFL's 6th-worst roster

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Are they really that bad? Really?

Pro Football Focus rated each of the 32 NFL teams’ lineups from top to bottom and concluded the Steelers have the NFL’s sixth-worst roster. The only teams ranked below the Steelers at No. 27 are the Raiders, Vikings, Falcons, Rams and Jaguars
Even the Browns, who are undergoing their usual coaching and front office shuffle, are ranked ahead of the Steelers at No. 24. The Bengals – despite their usual postseason fold-up act — are the top-rated AFC North team at No. 7 and the Ravens are No. 16
Pro Football Focus ranked 12 players on each team on offense and defense (to account for the nickel/third down sets all teams use) with a scale that ranged from Elite to Poor. In between were High quality, Good, Average and Below Average. There also were categories for players with little playing experience, such as Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer (not enough information) and rookies
The Bengals (defensive lineman Geno Atkins) and Browns (left tackle Joe Thomas) were the only teams in the division with an elite player. None of the Steelers or Ravens players were rated that highly
The Steelers were judged to have three high-quality players — quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, wide receiver Antonio Brown and strong safety Troy Polamalu. Only 10 of their 24 starters were judged to be above average

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/06/10/robinson-steelers-judged-to-have-nfls-sixth-worst-roster/#ixzz34SsbEFtX
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers offense’s ratings by Pro Football Focus:

QB Ben Roethlisberger High quality
RB Le’Veon Bell Average
TE Heath Miller Average
TE Matt Spaeth Below average
WR Antonio Brown High quality
WR Lance Moore Good
WR Markus Wheaton Below average
LT Kelvin Beachum Average
LG Ramon Foster Good
C Maurkice Pouncey Good
RG David DeCastro Good
RT Marcus Gilbert Average

The Steelers defense’s ratings:

LE Cam Thomas Average
NT Steve McLendon Average
RE Cam Heyward Good
OLB Jason Worilds Good
ILB Ryan Shazier Rookie
ILB Lawrence Timmons Good
OLB Jarvis Jones Below average
CB Cortez Allen Average
CB Ike Taylor Below average
CB William Gay Average
SS Troy Polamalu High quality
FS Mike Mitchell Average

tube517
06-13-2014, 04:46 AM
That's why they play the game. Paper ratings don't win championships.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

zulater
06-13-2014, 05:25 AM
Profootballfocus is overrated and self important. They don't know half of what they think they do. Honestly I find them to be a joke. Give you a good example. I think it was the second Raven's game last year, they had Mike Adams who was forced into spot start duty due to injuries as the Steelers highest rated offensive lineman for the game. I found that hard to believe, so I rewatched the game on NFL rewind with a special eye on Adams. Not only was he not the Steelers best lineman that game, the fact was his game was complete crap. The only reason Ben wasn't overrun by Adams man all game was because the Steelers made a point of giving him help on virtually every single play. Sometimes they slid Foster over to block Mike's man, sometimes a tight end or back. Sometimes more than one. But to the point Adams largely stood there all game watching someone else block his man. A couple times he actually helped. But not by much.

More examples. For years they've listed Heath Miller as barely adequete as a blocker. They are too stupid to take into account that unlike most tight end's Miller is routinely asked to block defensive lineman and linebackers as opposed to safeties and cornerbacks.
Oh yeah, and let's not forget that in their top one hundred players for this coming season they don't have Big Ben in that group. And if you think that's bad, they don't have Aaron Rodgers in there either.

Fuck them, they're a joke.

Devilsdancefloor
06-13-2014, 07:01 AM
heath miller average yeah that tells me all i need to know about the "ratings"

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 07:48 AM
heath miller average yeah that tells me all i need to know about the "ratings"

I love Heath Miller however his career numbers ARE average for a number one TE.

I know he is a great teammate and a good blocker....

Still, this is probably my biggest gripe that for how bad our line has been the last 10 years we have not added another quality tight end to block and get open on short routes.

Shoes
06-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Robinson is judged to be the 6th worst hack in the twitter world…next.

fansince'76
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
PFF is essentially a stats-driven site for fantasy football nerds. It's simply a more successful version of the kind of site that UncleF*ckNuckle (UltimateFootballNetwork) used to run. Not sure how many remember UFN from the old site, but he was a Redskins fan and borderline troll who used to argue endlessly that Mewelde Moore was practically the best RB in Steelers history for no other apparent reason than having a mancrush on Moore because they shared the same alma mater (Tulane). :coffee:

Profootballfocus is overrated and self important. They don't know half of what they think they do.

Exactly. This description fit UncleF*ckNuckle to a tee as well, particularly in regards to being a know-it-all who really didn't know shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj7thmjZC9c

Speaking of which, I guess UncleF*ckNuckle didn't get enough paying customers for his "pearls of football wisdom" (that he used to spread all over SF like fertilizer), seeing as how his site (http://www.ultimatefootballnetwork.com) no longer exists. Imagine that. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

X-Terminator
06-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Judging players by so-called "advanced stats" has been one of the worst developments in sports over the past decade, right up there with fantasy football. Pro Football Focus, and all similar sites like that across all sports, can suck my big, black wiener. They are nothing but a bunch of pointy-headed pseudo-intellectual wannabes who weren't good enough to actually play sports, so they come up with this bullshit to make themselves feel important.

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Xterminator

Judging players by so-called "advanced stats" has been one of the worst developments in sports over the past decade, right up there with fantasy football.

Pro Football Focus, and all similar sites like that across all sports, can suck my big, black wiener.

They are nothing but a bunch of pointy-headed pseudo-intellectual wannabes who weren't good enough to actually play sports, so they come up with this bullshit to make themselves feel important.

I would have spelled it "weiner" but that's just me.

Maybe I have the spelling confused because of Anthony Weiner's weiner tweets.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7686666496/h094F2E1D/

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/062011/weiner-hard-20.jpg

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/062011/weiner-hard-25.jpg

http://justgngr.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/anthony-weiner-huffington-post-plunges-poll-numbers-sexting-scandal.jpg?w=529&h=476

fansince'76
06-13-2014, 11:24 AM
I would have spelled it "weiner" but that's just me.

Maybe I have the spelling confused because of Anthony Weiner's weiner tweets.

Nope, "wiener" is the correct spelling. The rule is "i" before "e" except after "c." "Weiner" in this case is a proper name.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t492/Heartless_Lyn/the-more-you-know-o_zps8dd6cbdc.gif (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/Heartless_Lyn/media/the-more-you-know-o_zps8dd6cbdc.gif.html)

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Oh, so when the headline reads "Dirty Weiner" they are saying he is dirty and not his weiner.

:thumbsup:

(Although his nose DOES look a tad bit like a dirty weiner)

http://justgngr.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/anthony-weiner-huffington-post-plunges-poll-numbers-sexting-scandal.jpg?w=529&h=476

http://i.imgur.com/fKz6pKq.png

Craic
06-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Alright, beyond wiener talks...

Anyone notice in this list that there are only four "below average" ratings, and ten ratings that rank over "average." So, if that is "averaged" out, we rank just a little above average, right? How then, can we be the sixth worst roster out of 32 teams? Average would be 16th, and a little above average would b 15-12.

If that simple logic is missed by the writers, why should I even care about their opinion?

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Anyone notice in this list that there are only four "below average" ratings, and ten ratings that rank over "average." So, if that is "averaged" out, we rank just a little above average, right? How then, can we be the sixth worst roster out of 32 teams? Average would be 16th, and a little above average would b 15-12.

If that simple logic is missed by the writers, why should I even care about their opinion?

I did notice that.

It doesn't add up.

That is why it is hard to take the article seriously.

That being said, there is no question we don't have near the number of impact / splash players we had when we won the super bowls.

Seems we have a lot of young guys that are developing.

Edman
06-13-2014, 12:21 PM
That's why they play the games.

If the Steelers truly are the 6th-worst team in the NFL, it will be proven.

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Good point.

However in this era of flag football a below average team can have a winning season with a good QB.

86WARD
06-13-2014, 12:37 PM
6th Worst? Lol

Edman
06-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Good point.

However in this era of flag football a below average team can have a winning season with a good QB.

See: 2013 Broncos or any Manning Colt team.

The Steelers are an average team.

I think what they mean by "6th-worst" team is the matter of the Steelers' lack of superstars and big names. Only Ben and Troy are the closest things the Steelers have in terms of all-star talent.

Frankly, that's all the Steelers need in 2014. While it would be nice, they don't need Pro-Bowlers at every position, just solid role players that are good at doing what they're supposed to do. They need Aaron Smiths and Heath Millers.

Craic
06-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Good point.

:rolleyes: I guess we're watching two different games then, because the game I watch, the guy with the ball always gets tackled. Just not around the head.

And, a good QB has ALWAYS been able to lift a team beyond where they should've been. Good QBs make a team better by being able to account for weaknesses and render them invalid.

JayC
06-13-2014, 08:09 PM
i think we'll surprise everyone this year

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 08:28 PM
:rolleyes: I guess we're watching two different games then, because the game I watch, the guy with the ball always gets tackled. Just not around the head.

And, a good QB has ALWAYS been able to lift a team beyond where they should've been. Good QBs make a team better by being able to account for weaknesses and render them invalid.

In 1973 the average passing yards per game was 141.

Today it is close to double that.

Do the math.

On a side note: "Account for weaknesses and render them invalid?"

LOL.

polamalubeast
06-13-2014, 08:50 PM

Do the math.

LOL.

good point

In 1984(the year of Marino)it was 205 yards per game and 22 TD,21 INT per team in average(QB rating:73)

In 2013,it was 235 yards per game and 26 TD and 15 INT(QB rating:84)

Craic
06-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Do the math.

LOL.

One does not equate to the other. There's also been serious changes to the passing game that have nothing to do with hitting/tackling, i.e. the five yard chuck rule, passing interference, the advent of the west-coast offense and the derivative offenses from that, etc. Not to mention, players have changed. The speed and size of the average player is tremendously faster/bigger, but the field is the same size, making running the ball more difficult than it was in the 70s from a simple "run to the light" perspective.

But no, it's more fun to ignore all that and whine about players not being able to cause serious long term brain injury.

Oh, and on a side note, "LOL" doesn't negate an argument. For instance, Peyton Manning fixes a leaky line with quick releases. Ben fixes a WR having coverage problems with pump-fakes. etc. etc. So, yeah, very good QBs account for weaknesses and render them invalid. Sure, not all the time, but a good portion of the time. That's part of what MAKES them good QBs. After all EVERY QB that enters the NFL can play catch with a football. It takes the good ones that can adjust and invalidate a team's weakness to actually win championships.

zulater
06-14-2014, 04:18 PM
i think we'll surprise everyone this year

Me too Jay.

Call me crazy but I think this is the best overall talent we've had since 2008. I think we're looking at a 10-12 win season. The only reason I see 10 wins as a possibility is because we've got a lot of youth and new parts on defense. Might take a month or so for everyone to mesh. But even early I love the speed, and speed will create mayhem, and mayhem will create turnovers.

Offensively I think this team will kick some ass. Love the backfield combination of Bell and Blount, and I really think we've finally got the line stabilized to the point that we can remove it from the liability column and put it firmly in the asset column. The receiver situation doesn't concern me much either. I think Moore is every bit as good as Cotchery if not better. And Sanders wasn't exactly the second coming of Louis Lipps. He is very replaceable. Miller should be a bit better this year. So we'll make his numbers up somewhere.
+

polamalubeast
06-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Me too Jay.

Call me crazy but I think this is the best overall talent we've had since 2008. I think we're looking at a 10-12 win season. The only reason I see 10 wins as a possibility is because we've got a lot of youth and new parts on defense. Might take a month or so for everyone to mesh. But even early I love the speed, and speed will create mayhem, and mayhem will create turnovers.

Offensively I think this team will kick some ass. Love the backfield combination of Bell and Blount, and I really think we've finally got the line stabilized to the point that we can remove it from the liability column and put it firmly in the asset column. The receiver situation doesn't concern me much either. I think Moore is every bit as good as Cotchery if not better. And Sanders wasn't exactly the second coming of Louis Lipps. He is very replaceable. Miller should be a bit better this year. So we'll make his numbers up somewhere.
+

I hope that you'll be right again...Last year you had predicted a 8-8 season for the steelers and that's happened....But you think this is maybe the most talented team since 2008,but in 2010, the team was also great

The key for the Steelers in 2014 is that the offense must play like the 2nd half of the season of last year...The Steelers had scored 28 PPG in their last 8 games

zulater
06-14-2014, 04:36 PM
I hope that you'll be right again...Last year you had predicted a 8-8 season for the steelers and that's happened....But you think this is maybe the most talented team since 2008,but in 2010, the team was also great

The 2010 played above it's talent in my opinion. Funny enough I think Ben's suspension along with Goodell's perceived anti Steeler agenda galvanized the team, gave them more focus and determination than usual. When they came away from Ben's suspension with a 3-1 record they built on it.

I also think they got lucky in their playoff matchups. Especially with the Jets taking out the two teams the Steelers matched up worst against. Then of course getting to play the Jets in the AFC title game.

polamalubeast
06-14-2014, 05:16 PM
The 2010 played above it's talent in my opinion. Funny enough I think Ben's suspension along with Goodell's perceived anti Steeler agenda galvanized the team, gave them more focus and determination than usual. When they came away from Ben's suspension with a 3-1 record they built on it.

I also think they got lucky in their playoff matchups. Especially with the Jets taking out the two teams the Steelers matched up worst against. Then of course getting to play the Jets in the AFC title game.

In 2010, it was for me,the best coaching job of Tomlin in his career right now

Craic
06-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Me too Jay.

+

I too hope you're right. It's too early for me to have any kind of feel for the team. Part of that is because I'm so unfamiliar with the players since there's so much turnover. Part of that is because there seems to be quite a bit of change in the coaching methodology, if not the staff as well (at the level of assistants and assistants to assistants). And last, I think part of that comes from not wanting to get excited over rookies that have a lot to learn before they can usually be effective in Lebeau's system.

I honestly can't say it's even money that we make the playoffs. But I'm not really willing to bet against it either.

X-Terminator
06-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I too hope you're right. It's too early for me to have any kind of feel for the team. Part of that is because I'm so unfamiliar with the players since there's so much turnover. Part of that is because there seems to be quite a bit of change in the coaching methodology, if not the staff as well (at the level of assistants and assistants to assistants). And last, I think part of that comes from not wanting to get excited over rookies that have a lot to learn before they can usually be effective in Lebeau's system.

I honestly can't say it's even money that we make the playoffs. But I'm not really willing to bet against it either.

Given how weak the AFC is overall, they have as good a shot at a playoff berth as anyone. Other than Denver, New England and Indy being locks, who else out there is clearly head-and-shoulders better than the Steelers right now? Maybe Kansas City, but I wouldn't say that about them either.

polamalubeast
06-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Given how weak the AFC is overall, they have as good a shot at a playoff berth as anyone. Other than Denver, New England and Indy being locks, who else out there is clearly head-and-shoulders better than the Steelers right now? Maybe Kansas City, but I wouldn't say that about them either.

And not forget that the steelers have almost made the playoffs at 8-8 last year

HollywoodSteel
06-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Trying to make sense out of their use of the term "average" might be an exercise in futility, but the only way it comes close to possibly making sense is if they don't mean "average," "above average," etc. in terms of how players compare to each other this season, but rather how they compare to all players in the history of the NFL. In that case, all teams could be "above average" if the quality of players this year is higher than in the past. The only other possibility is if the five teams at the bottom have players that are so horrendously bad that they throw the scale so far out of whack that the sixth worst team can still be above average.

But I really doubt a joke of a site like the one we're wasting brain cells on really put that much thought into it. :)

Mojouw
06-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Trying to make sense out of their use of the term "average" might be an exercise in futility, but the only way it comes close to possibly making sense is if they don't mean "average," "above average," etc. in terms of how players compare to each other this season, but rather how they compare to all players in the history of the NFL. In that case, all teams could be "above average" if the quality of players this year is higher than in the past. The only other possibility is if the five teams at the bottom have players that are so horrendously bad that they throw the scale so far out of whack that the sixth worst team can still be above average.

But I really doubt a joke of a site like the one we're wasting brain cells on really put that much thought into it. :)

Might be one of those things like when the W-L predictions come out for every website and the records are impossible to make add up.