PDA

View Full Version : With Pouncey Now Extended, Steelers Can Turn Their Attention To Allen, Roethlisberger

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 11:55 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/06/pouncey-now-extended-steelers-can-turn-attention-allen-roethlisberger/

steelreserve
06-12-2014, 12:49 PM
It's hard seeing Allen expecting to get more than $2.5 million a season at this point and the guaranteed money associated with a new deal should be very easy to swallow. It will be very surprising if an extension isn't worked out with him and it shouldn't eat up a ton of cap space in 2014 when the ink finally dries.

Yes, that's the key part, let's do this NOW while it's low-risk, high-reward. If we wait until after the season to see if he fully proves himself, that's how we get backed into a $40 million game of chicken, only the punchline is that we can't afford to lose the player but we can't afford to pay him either. CHAMPIONSHIP!

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Yes, that's the key part, let's do this NOW while it's low-risk, high-reward. If we wait until after the season to see if he fully proves himself, that's how we get backed into a $40 million game of chicken, only the punchline is that we can't afford to lose the player but we can't afford to pay him either. CHAMPIONSHIP!

The problem is that it is not the advantage of Allen to sign a contract immediately since exactly he could have a contract of 40 million next season if he has a big season

GBMelBlount
06-12-2014, 01:42 PM
He could also get hurt.

Psycho Ward 86
06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
The problem is that it is not the advantage of Allen to sign a contract immediately since exactly he could have a contract of 40 million next season if he has a big season

people who play that game of chicken dont seem dumb enough to do it right as theyre coming off their rookie deals. Dustin Keller got fucked by the millions trying to do that

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 04:04 PM
people who play that game of chicken dont seem dumb enough to do it right as theyre coming off their rookie deals. Dustin Keller got fucked by the millions trying to do that

Yes, but Keenan Lewis would not have his contract he had with the Saints if he had signed after his 3rd season

Sometimes players in the position of Lewis or Allen prefers to wait until its value is higher before signing a long term contract

86WARD
06-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Just extend Ben and get it over with....

Psycho Ward 86
06-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Yes, but Keenan Lewis would not have his contract he had with the Saints if he had signed after his 3rd season

Sometimes players in the position of Lewis or Allen prefers to wait until its value is higher before signing a long term contract

i tend to agree with you in that players usually win playing that game, but there are players like dustin keller that serve as a cautionary tale.

Speaking of Dustin Keller, i wish we'd bring him in for a physical. if he's good to go, id rather have him than finley

Chidi29
06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
If they do re-sign Allen, it'll definitely be more than 2.5 average. More like 5 million per.

GBMelBlount
06-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Is there anyone with Allen's inexperience getting a 5 mil per year deal now?

I just can't see him getting 5 million per year unless there is someone comparable getting 5 mil now...or we are desperate not to lose him.

Chidi29
06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Is there anyone with Allen's inexperience getting a 5 mil per year deal now?

I just can't see him getting 5 million per year unless there is someone comparable getting 5 mil now...or we are desperate not to lose him.

Chris Houston was getting 5/25. Greg Toler was getting close to 5 per year. I'd take Cortez over both of them.

Remember, you're not paying for what Cortez is now. You're paying for what he can be in the future. Otherwise, he's not going to settle and take less. He'll bet on himself.

zulater
06-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Cortez is well ahead of where Keenan Lewis was going into his third season. Wouldn't you like to have that one to do over again?

steelreserve
06-15-2014, 01:01 AM
If we give him that much, we'd better leave ourselves an out. I'd have no problem paying $4M-$5M for a competent cornerback if that's what he turns out to be. Sure beats having him make $7M with another team. As long as we can pull the cord if we really got burned. I think that's the leverage we would get by giving him a raise now, instead of waiting until UFA and then we're the ones who are over a barrel.

Side note: I wonder what the Pouncey extension means for Worilds. Kind of reminds me of a couple years ago when Brown got the big contract, not Wallace, and that was the end of the big money. At least we have the cap room to actually absorb the franchise tag/tranny tag this year, which quite frankly is amazing.

Chidi29
06-15-2014, 12:05 PM
If we give him that much, we'd better leave ourselves an out. I'd have no problem paying $4M-$5M for a competent cornerback if that's what he turns out to be. Sure beats having him make $7M with another team. As long as we can pull the cord if we really got burned. I think that's the leverage we would get by giving him a raise now, instead of waiting until UFA and then we're the ones who are over a barrel.

Side note: I wonder what the Pouncey extension means for Worilds. Kind of reminds me of a couple years ago when Brown got the big contract, not Wallace, and that was the end of the big money. At least we have the cap room to actually absorb the franchise tag/tranny tag this year, which quite frankly is amazing.

Report is team offered him a long-term deal that he turned down. So extension unlikely to happen this year. Play out this year, see how he does over a full year (really only eight weeks of production last year) and go from there.

steelreserve
06-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Report is team offered him a long-term deal that he turned down. So extension unlikely to happen this year. Play out this year, see how he does over a full year (really only eight weeks of production last year) and go from there.

lol, that means he's as good as gone either way. Perform well - price is too high for us to afford. Do poorly - not interested in re-signing. I guess there's always the franchise tag if we really need it, but we've got like 75 linebackers now. Oh well, it was nice that he had half a good season for us.

86WARD
06-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Why would his price be too high to afford?