PDA

View Full Version : Maurkice Pouncey signs 5 year extension with Steelers

vader29
06-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Despite missing virtually the entire 2013 season, the Steelers have rewarded center Maurkice Pouncey with a new five-year contract extension, according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

Pouncey, who made the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons in the league, was entering the final year of his rookie contract, but the Steelers and Pouncey have agreed on a max of $44 million during the next five years that includes a $13 million signing bonus. Pouncey, whose signing bonus was slightly higher than Colin Kaepernick's, will make $14 million for the 2014 season.

He'll make a $1.75 million base salary in 2015, a $3.5 million base in 2016, and in the final three seasons, he'll earn a total of $21.5 million. Pouncey also will receive a total of $7.25 million worth of roster bonuses in 2015 and 2016.

http://cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24586023/steelers-sign-c-maurkice-pouncey-to-5-year-44-million-extension

Devilsdancefloor
06-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Well this is interesting to say the least. STAY HEALTHY is all i gotta say

steelreserve
06-12-2014, 10:05 AM
He'll make a $1.75 million base salary in 2015, a $3.5 million base in 2016, and in the final three seasons, he'll earn a total of $21.5 million. Pouncey also will receive a total of $7.25 million worth of roster bonuses in 2015 and 2016.

Those numbers (plus the signing bonus) add up to $47 million, but ignoring that, it seems like a mostly flat extension instead of the crippling backloaded deal we're used to ... my count is $8M, $9.7M, $9.8M, $9.8M, $9.8M, depending of course on how exactly the final years' salary is spread out, which it doesn't say.

Nice to have the player, but on the other hand, god damn, is that a lot to pay for one offensive lineman. No matter how good he is, that's the one position where it's tough to justify.

What I suspect will happen is we'll restructure it twice, and in the final year we have the choice of keeping him and taking a $18M cap hit, or cutting him and eating $8M in dead money.

GBMelBlount
06-12-2014, 10:15 AM
This oughta give him some "street cred"....

Steelers make Maurkice Pouncey the NFL’s highest-paid center

It isn’t just quarterbacks who are getting the big bucks. One guy who snaps the ball is getting paid, big-time.

Maurkice Pouncey and the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension that makes him the highest-paid center in the NFL. Pouncey will get a signing bonus of $13 million on the new deal, which is worth a little over $44 million. Added to the last year of his rookie contract, he is signed for six years at $48 million. Pro Football Talk first reported the new deal and breaks it down further:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/06/12/steelers-make-maurkice-pouncey-the-nfls-highest-paid-center/

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
wow!

Stay heathly now!

Mojouw
06-12-2014, 10:48 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/06/new-details-maurkice-pounceys-five-year-contract-extension-emerge/

Looks like nothing past 2014 is guaranteed.

The numbers don't seem that bad when the significant yearly cap increases are factored in. In other words, $8 million will be less and less of a percentage of the overall salary cap each year of the deal.

Seems like Pouncey can potentially get paid a lot of coin and the team can get out of the contract fairly easily as well.

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 10:49 AM
details on this contract...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/06/new-details-maurkice-pounceys-five-year-contract-extension-emerge/

salamander
06-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Damn cheap Rooneys. :chuckle:

steelreserve
06-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Looks like nothing past 2014 is guaranteed.

The numbers don't seem that bad when the significant yearly cap increases are factored in. In other words, $8 million will be less and less of a percentage of the overall salary cap each year of the deal.

Seems like Pouncey can potentially get paid a lot of coin and the team can get out of the contract fairly easily as well.

That part makes me wince a little bit, because that's a very, VERY dangerous game to play. We counted on an increasing cap to bail us out before, and basically that's why several guys are now playing for other teams. If the cap goes up, say, $10M next year, most of that will be eaten up by Ben's extension, Heyward's option year, paying for Timmons' past restructures, Brown getting to the increasing years of his contract, and the price of free agents in general being driven upward. That's what we need just to tread water. If it goes up $10M the year after, most of that will be eaten up by having to work out market-value deals for Allen, Thomas, Bell, etc.

Bottom line is we're still putting a lot of stuff on our credit card - not as much as before, which is hopeful, but still enough to make me plenty uneasy. The way this probably works is we don't get real cap relief until Troy and Heath retire, but even then we'll probably have spent most of the money already. This salary cap is a vicious thing to work with given the pressure there is to overpay star players, and sometimes I can't help feeling we're on the wrong end of it.

Psycho Ward 86
06-12-2014, 12:28 PM
i think this is about as good of a contract as we could have wished for so im pretty happy with this. just stay healthy bud!

still hard to believe he's been a 3x 1st team All-Pro and STILL is only 24 years old

Mojouw
06-12-2014, 12:29 PM
That part makes me wince a little bit, because that's a very, VERY dangerous game to play. We counted on an increasing cap to bail us out before, and basically that's why several guys are now playing for other teams. If the cap goes up, say, $10M next year, most of that will be eaten up by Ben's extension, Heyward's option year, paying for Timmons' past restructures, Brown getting to the increasing years of his contract, and the price of free agents in general being driven upward. That's what we need just to tread water. If it goes up $10M the year after, most of that will be eaten up by having to work out market-value deals for Allen, Thomas, Bell, etc.

Bottom line is we're still putting a lot of stuff on our credit card - not as much as before, which is hopeful, but still enough to make me plenty uneasy. The way this probably works is we don't get real cap relief until Troy and Heath retire, but even then we'll probably have spent most of the money already. This salary cap is a vicious thing to work with given the pressure there is to overpay star players, and sometimes I can't help feeling we're on the wrong end of it.

The cap increases have been confirmed by the NFL this time and there is labor peace on the horizon for the foreseeable future. Different situation than before.

Also, very little of the large reported number is guaranteed. Likely this is the best deal the Steelers could hope for Pouncey to agree to.

Finally, it was never the number or size of the contracts handed out, it was the restructures that bit the Steelers in the ass in the end. I hope that is the lesson learned!

steelreserve
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I hope so too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have the player, and this was probably as good of a deal as we were going to get, given how hyper-competitive the market would have been for him in FA. It's still enough to make you swallow hard, though.

Psycho Ward 86
06-12-2014, 03:54 PM
all indications seem that there was very little guaranteed money. Thats one of the most important things

zulater
06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Seems like a fair deal for all parties.

Count Steeler
06-12-2014, 05:04 PM
That is about the right level for his caliber. Now go out and get nasty.

stillers4me
06-12-2014, 05:14 PM
That is about the right level for his caliber. Now go out and get nasty.

and keep him away from the rookies.

ALLD
06-12-2014, 05:40 PM
If he plays he gets paid. If he gets injured the insurance company pays until he gets cut.

86WARD
06-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Think it's fair. If the guy stays healthy...Steelers win this contract.