PDA

View Full Version : Second-year safety Thomas learned from best

stillers4me
05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Troy Polamalu may not be taking part in the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)' organized team activities (OTA), but that doesn't mean the Pro Bowl safety isn't contributing.

Second-year safety Shamarko Thomas said he keeps in constant contact with Polamalu, and he continues to get advice from his teammate.
“I talk to him all the time,” Thomas said. “He keeps telling me to get in that playbook, and that's what I am doing.”.......

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6182841-74/steelers-thomas-safety#ixzz33F9onvPn

HollywoodSteel
05-31-2014, 12:53 AM
Is anyone else bothered just a little bit that Troy didn't decide to show for OTAs this year? I know that this is how he prefers to do it, and it certainly isn't any indicator about his dedication to the team, but I just figured with all the new faces on defense, and especially since he has to break in a new safety partner in Mitchell, you'd think that might have gotten him to rethink not showing up this year. I'm sure in the end it won't make any difference, and since Mitchell is a veteran they should get in sync quick enough. But he has to be the most respected member of that defense at this point, so showing his face and making his presence known to the new guys as early and often could only be a positive all the way around.

Am I over thinking this, or has this occurred to anyone else as well?

steelreserve
05-31-2014, 01:38 AM
Is anyone else bothered just a little bit that Troy didn't decide to show for OTAs this year? I know that this is how he prefers to do it, and it certainly isn't any indicator about his dedication to the team, but I just figured with all the new faces on defense, and especially since he has to break in a new safety partner in Mitchell, you'd think that might have gotten him to rethink not showing up this year. I'm sure in the end it won't make any difference, and since Mitchell is a veteran they should get in sync quick enough. But he has to be the most respected member of that defense at this point, so showing his face and making his presence known to the new guys as early and often could only be a positive all the way around.

Am I over thinking this, or has this occurred to anyone else as well?

FOOTBALL IN SHORTS

tube517
05-31-2014, 01:43 AM
Not bothered at all.

Steelerette
05-31-2014, 01:52 AM
It's not like Troy is a rookie. While Mitchell won't get to experience him personally at OTAs, Mitchell, not Troy, is the one who has to adapt into our defense, and the coaches know very well how Troy plays, what he does, and who he is, so there's plenty there to work with. I actually prefer Troy not showing; he has his own personal workout regimen and it's got a better chance of keeping him injury-free than being at the OTAs.

ALLD
05-31-2014, 06:30 AM
The other guys needs the reps, not Troy.

salamander
05-31-2014, 08:23 AM
If it was anyone but Troy I'd be worried.

HollywoodSteel
06-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I think maybe you guys are missing my point. I don't think Troy needs the reps or the work. I just think his presence benefits the young guys on defense, not just the other safeties, plus he needs to mesh with Mitchell since Troy's style of play is more than just Xs and Os in a playbook. As his safety partner, you have to get a feel for what he does rather than just hear about it or read about it.

On the flip side, I think there will be plenty of time for all that so it's not even in the top 100 things I'm worried about.

HollywoodSteel
06-01-2014, 06:00 PM
The truth is, the more I think about it the less it concerns me. The person whose judgement I trust the most in all of the is Dick LeBeau's. I have absolutely no doubt that if coach LeBeau picked up the phone and asked him to come to OTAs because he felt that it would help the defense in any way, Troy would be on the next plane to Pittsburgh.

86WARD
06-02-2014, 07:28 PM
No worries on Troy.