PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Dixon denied fair shot

LLT
08-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Harris: Dixon denied fair shot
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dennis Dixon doesn't stand a chance. There's no way he can prove he deserves to start at quarterback if he doesn't practice and play with the starters.

Apparently, the Steelers don't want a fair fight at the most visible position on the team.

Read More: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_695009.html

NCSteeler
08-15-2010, 06:29 AM
I still think that they are trying to "hide" DD's talents. I think they would like little or no competition to resign him.

HometownGal
08-15-2010, 06:30 AM
I think Harris is stretching a bit here. Dix played well last night, but against the Lions 2nd team defense. With the first 4 games of the season being extremely important for us with Ben out on suspension, I still would trust those games to the experienced vet (if our OL doesn't get him killed first). No doubt in my mind that Dix has great talent and skill and is our QB of the future but my mind just isn't ready yet to annoint him the starter over Lefty while Ben is on hiatus. If the Steelers felt comfortable enough with Dix starting for Ben in that 4 game stretch, they wouldn't have pursued Byron, so I guess there really is a method to their madness. :noidea:

Galax Steeler
08-15-2010, 06:38 AM
There was a few plays where Leftwich didn't have no protection he was harassed most of the night having to hurry his throws or taking a sack. Dixon seemed to have a little more protection from the second team which they were going against Detroits second team. I think if needed Dixon could step in and do the job with the first team.

LLT
08-15-2010, 06:41 AM
As I said in another thread...I appreciate Dixon's ability to scramble but worry about the fact that he often seems to rabbit whenever he feels pressure, instead of stepping up into the pocket and looking for his recievers. He DID throw some nice passes last night but he needs to work on his pocket awareness.

GoSlash27
08-15-2010, 07:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with how Dixon plays. Lefty isn't getting the spot because he's better, he's getting it because he's been around the block. After this stretch, Dennis will come into his own.

HometownGal
08-15-2010, 07:13 AM
As I said in another thread...I appreciate Dixon's ability to scramble but worry about the fact that he often seems to rabbit whenever he feels pressure, instead of stepping up into the pocket and looking for his recievers. He DID throw some nice passes last night but he needs to work on his pocket awareness.

I agree 100%. I love his scrambling ability, too, but would prefer to see him utilize it only when necessary, i.e. pocket collapse, strong pass rush, etc. He needs to work on controlling those happy feet a little better imho. While it's awesome to have a QB who can also run like a bunny, Dix is a QB first and as you said - he needs some work on his pocket presence.

GBMelBlount
08-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Nice Read LLT. thanks!

It's a catch 22. If he's not getting the reps (and the support) it can be hard to develop the pocket awareness....Dixon is gifted and he has the tools...and he has been completing passes.

I don't care if it's 1st or 3rd team, bottom line he is completing the passes, moving the chains and he has more upside than Leftwich imo.....

steelpride12
08-15-2010, 07:28 AM
There was a few plays where Leftwich didn't have no protection he was harassed most of the night having to hurry his throws or taking a sack. Dixon seemed to have a little more protection from the second team which they were going against Detroits second team. I think if needed Dixon could step in and do the job with the first team.
Ya that was most of the time Leftwich was on the field. He never really had time to step up and get a good throw. I remember when Wallace had a step on the defender, but Lefty got hit so his throw was short or that would have been a TD.

Buckinnuts
08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
I feel he is the more versatile QB, just look at the way he preformed last night. Sure 1 game but he did beat the ravens last year!
I WANT DD TO BE THE STARTER! come on Tomlin wake up. and watch those fleet of foot take control of the game!

SteelerEmpire
08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
He's just like Ben: he's more dangerous when he's out of the pocket scrabling around.
Seeing how the pocket broke down on so many plays while Dixon was in, I don't see how Lefty would have got out of those situations.
IF the Steeler's were to play Dixon for the 4-6 games Ben was out (which they should so the D's would have to plan for 2 QB styles) I think they should use the same strategy with him as in last yrs game with the Ravens... for all the games "until" they feel comfortable with him.
If Matt Cassel could do it with New England (perform so well the year Brady was out), Dixon can do it. As Cassel's professional record was almost 0 when he took over for Brady...
And I know this is just pre-season, but for someone who just got out of training camp, Lefty sure looked "cold" last night... the line HAS to protect this type of QB or its over... Defenses WILL use the blitz often on him...

X-Terminator
08-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I feel he is the more versatile QB, just look at the way he preformed last night. Sure 1 game but he did beat the ravens last year!
I WANT DD TO BE THE STARTER! come on Tomlin wake up. and watch those fleet of foot take control of the game!

When did he beat the Ravens last year?

Nadroj 20
08-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Dixon was going against second stringers but he was also playing with second stringers. The only way to be sure is to let him start a game to show his stuff with the first team.

I do think Dixon threw more what you would call "nice balls" then Lefty.

GBMelBlount
08-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Dixon was going against second stringers but he was also playing with second stringers. The only way to be sure is to let him start a game to show his stuff with the first team.

I do think Dixon threw more what you would call "nice balls" then Lefty.

I completely agree Nadroj!

However, if you do have the pleasure of ever meeting Dixon, you may want to carefully word your praise in this area.

For instance, "Hey, nice balls Dixon!" might not land you an autograph or signed jersey.

Just a thought...... :chuckle:

SMR
08-15-2010, 09:36 AM
There is nothing wrong with how Dixon plays. Lefty isn't getting the spot because he's better, he's getting it because he's been around the block. After this stretch, Dennis will come into his own.

I sure hope DD gets his chance SOONER rather than later, cuz he might get ticked off and demand to be traded. Who knows? If the coaching staff continue to limit DD rather than expand his playing time during the pre-season, I think the coaches are protecting him too much- going too far. Just my opinion. Leftwich is starting to get slightly overrated in my eyes.

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Ya that was most of the time Leftwich was on the field. He never really had time to step up and get a good throw. I remember when Wallace had a step on the defender, but Lefty got hit so his throw was short or that would have been a TD.

I'm watching the replay right now. Lefty was late getting rid of that ball and underthrew it. He didn't get hit until after the ball was gone. His performance in this game is underwhelming but I agree that the OL wasn't doing a very good job.

Nadroj 20
08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I completely agree Nadroj!

However, if you do have the pleasure of ever meeting Dixon, you may want to carefully word your praise in this area.

For instance, "Hey, nice balls Dixon!" might not land you an autograph or signed jersey.

Just a thought...... :chuckle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That would scare me out of signing autographs too!! lol

tony hipchest
08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
lets be fair. lefty got harassed and pounded by detroits starters who are mostly 2nd stringers on any other team (save KVB).

O'Malley
08-15-2010, 03:10 PM
DD should start the next game to see how he is with the first stringers. IMO he adds a demention to the offense that Lefty does not. It's only preseason what do they have to lose?

BPS3akaWirels3
08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
That game was dead until Dixon came in last night.. He put the fire in us fans and kept it going...

Buckinnuts
08-15-2010, 04:55 PM
When did he beat the Ravens last year?

sorry typo when he started against them. got carried away

solardave
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Nice Read LLT. thanks!

It's a catch 22. If he's not getting the reps (and the support) it can be hard to develop the pocket awareness....Dixon is gifted and he has the tools...and he has been completing passes.

I don't care if it's 1st or 3rd team, bottom line he is completing the passes, moving the chains and he has more upside than Leftwich imo.....

I agree after watching the game I think he gives us a better chance than Lefty. Let's see what the next 4 preseason games tell us.

TroysBarber
08-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Even if Lefty starts week 1, Dixon will start weeks 2-4. I say this because there's no way that Lefty survives week 1 with his immobility and our O line.

Chidi29
08-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Dixon has been denied a fair shot? Harris realizes it's been one game, right? And he sure seemed fine with Dixon being second fiddle to Leftwich before.

Most outrageous comment of the article. Saying that if Leftwich starts and goes 4-0, there will be no controvesy when Ben returns. But if Dixon goes 4-0, there will be.

No, no there won't. At least, there shouldn't be. Ben is the man when he comes back. Plain and simple.

HometownGal
08-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Even if Lefty starts week 1, Dixon will start weeks 2-4. I say this because there's no way that Lefty survives week 1 with his immobility and our O line.

Hey Swami - since you feel you can predict outcomes, how 'bout you let me know what the Powerball numbers will be on Tuesday?

http://www.yattermatters.com/wp/wp-content/images/2008/09/wizard-with-crystal-ball.jpg

At this point, I still prefer Lefty over Dixon in Games 1-4 unless he sucks out the joints which I'd almost bet my life won't happen. He's an experienced vet, knows the system and the cast of characters well and though he isn't an elite NFL QB, he's a damned good backup.

Let's face it folks - the 2nd team OL played MUCH better than the OL starters last night. I know it's only Preseason Game #1 and there is still much work to do, but if this line continues to suck ass throughout the preseason, when Ben comes back he's in deep poo poo. :horror:

tony hipchest
08-15-2010, 08:11 PM
its racial.

dixon isnt getting a fair shot because he is black.

the only reason leftwich is getting the nod is because he is black.

infact if it were ben, he would be black too.

:chuckle:

a bit off topic but come opening day the steelers may be the 1st team with all 3 qb's on the active roster being black. emergency qb's randle el and h. ward are also black.

its a great day in the nfl that nobody even thinks twice about this and it will hardly earn a mention.

HometownGal
08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
its racial.

a bit off topic but come opening day the steelers may be the 1st team with all 3 qb's on the active roster being black. emergency qb's randle el and h. ward are also black.

its a great day in the nfl that nobody even thinks twice about this and it will hardly earn a mention.

You're a racist, Honky-cheese. :heh: :tongue1:

BPS3akaWirels3
08-15-2010, 09:31 PM
its racial.

So why isn't Nobama a QB?

BlastFurnace
08-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Good Grief...tap the breaks on Dennis Dixon.

He is a one read...tuck and run QB so far. That is it. That won't work against a good defense at all.

Not to mention, his numbers were against the 2nd Team.

IUSteel
08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
When Dixon shows he can be the consistent pocket QB, sure. Otherwise teams drop their nickelback, stack the box, and now Dixon is completely one dimensional. There's a big difference in having the potential to scramble and being a multithreat QB.

Obviously there's more upside to Dixon but Lefty could be our backup for three years, which is pretty good time for a backup QB, so upside is somewhat of a moot point. Ben comes back and the quality of our backup QB becomes a lot less important.

steel striker
08-16-2010, 03:03 PM
We all know that we lost that game but, Dixon put us in the lead late in 4th. It was the defense let the rats tie the score.

X-Terminator
08-16-2010, 03:36 PM
We all know that we lost that game but, Dixon put us in the lead late in 4th. It was the defense let the rats tie the score.

He also threw the game-losing pick in OT.

Nadroj 20
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
He also threw the game-losing pick in OT.

All he is saying is that wouldnt have happened....