PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WR Wheaton is over his bad break

stillers4me
05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Markus Wheaton's right hand is not a pretty sight. The pinky finger is bent at a grotesque angle, and he cannot fully straighten it to catch passes.

“It looks horrible, but it feels real good,” Wheaton said Tuesday as the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) began their full-scale offseason workouts on the South Side. “I'm pretty much out there not even thinking about it.”

Especially given how he would rather not think at all about a rookie season that was filled with bad breaks — in every sense of the term........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6183421-74/wheaton-steelers-finger#ixzz333KIaLGE
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive) | triblive on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive)

Mojouw
05-28-2014, 06:22 PM
I simply do not understand how this happens. Sounds like it really isn't a big deal, but don't teams' monitor these guys? If I was the head of pro sports team, I would have all my injured/rehab guys coming in for weekly or biweekly check-ups with the medical folks. They have a lot of money riding on these guys physical well being. To let it up to the judgement of a 20 some year old -- seems like an oversight.

Not blaming Wheaton either. When I was his age, I didn't listen to much of anyone either.

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 06:27 PM
I simply do not understand how this happens. Sounds like it really isn't a big deal, but don't teams' monitor these guys? If I was the head of pro sports team, I would have all my injured/rehab guys coming in for weekly or biweekly check-ups with the medical folks. They have a lot of money riding on these guys physical well being. To let it up to the judgement of a 20 some year old -- seems like an oversight.

Not blaming Wheaton either. When I was his age, I didn't listen to much of anyone either.

You could very well be right, but it's hard to know exactly what happened. If he misunderstood the rehab instructions the first time, and then on every visit the trainer asked if he's sticking to the program and Wheaton said yes… I'm not saying that's a great excuse, but it's also difficult to fully judge from the little information we have as outsiders.

Mojouw
05-28-2014, 06:34 PM
You could very well be right, but it's hard to know exactly what happened. If he misunderstood the rehab instructions the first time, and then on every visit the trainer asked if he's sticking to the program and Wheaton said yes… I'm not saying that's a great excuse, but it's also difficult to fully judge from the little information we have as outsiders.

Fair enough. You are right, there isn't enough information to make a judgement. But it seems across sports and for other teams besides the Steelers, long-term injured players are kinda left on their own. Many of those players are high priced assets for their teams and under 25. I wouldn't trust 25 year old me to do anything important looking back on it!

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Fair enough. You are right, there isn't enough information to make a judgement. But it seems across sports and for other teams besides the Steelers, long-term injured players are kinda left on their own. Many of those players are high priced assets for their teams and under 25. I wouldn't trust 25 year old me to do anything important looking back on it!

I've had that same observation from time to time as well. It does seem strange given the amount of money they have invested in these guys. But maybe it's a bit of observation bias on our part. You know, like we're more likely to notice the mistakes and the things that slip through the cracks than we are to notice all the times when teams do things exactly right.

Devilsdancefloor
05-28-2014, 09:01 PM
what the heck as long as it doesnt affect him catching the ball i guess it si ok, but hello monitor these guys

Chidi29
05-29-2014, 01:28 AM

It might not be a long-term issue. It could easily be Wheaton doing something stupid like catching on the jugs machine - or anything - before he was allowed to. Jams the pinkie again and screws it back up instantly. The finger was broken after all, so disrupting the healing process isn't that difficult.

fansince'76
05-29-2014, 01:52 AM
"Just cut the thing off." - Ronnie Lott

:chuckle: