PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 plays in Steeler History

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Figured I'd post this, if for no other reason than it's fun to watch.

1,2, and 3 certainly should be on the list. 4 and 5 are questionable in my opinion, but it's hard to knock off 4 just because of the incredible individual effort and it was an important play in a very important game. While number 5 is also an incredible play (I remember jumping out of my seat when it happened) it was ultimately in a meaningless game. I think the fact that it was with no time left helped boast its status in the minds of the list makers, but I'd probably replace it with a Swann catch in a Super Bowl.

http://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170048381332289/6654817045191956

ALLD
05-28-2014, 05:35 PM
#1 Immaculate Interception
#2 Immaculate Reception
#3 Holmes' SB TD catch
#4 Polamalu Interception
#5 ARE to Ward in SB XL.

86WARD
05-28-2014, 06:21 PM
4 and 5 aren't even close IMO. Lynn Swann Super Bowl catches are both better. The Randle El to Ward play in XL is better. Willie Parker's 75 yard run untouched is better. Polamalu's INT for a TD against the Ravens to seal the Championship Game is better. Both great plays...neither in the Top-5 in Steelers history...

Mojouw
05-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Ben's tackle after the Bettis fumble in the AFC championship game. Some DB (Willie Williams?) made a shoestring tackle against someone in the playoff run to the 1995 SB that forced a 4th down or something or other. Nothing from the 70's besides the Immaculate Reception? Seems like a recency bias by the list maker! Bettis running over Urlacher to seal a critical game late in the season on a playoff run? Anything Polamalu did from the first half of that Titans game a few years back. Anything Polamalu did from a # of crucial Ravens games - both regular season and playoffs.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch, but at least the 1st two have no place on that list.

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 06:39 PM
4 and 5 aren't even close IMO. Lynn Swann Super Bowl catches are both better. The Randle El to Ward play in XL is better. Willie Parker's 75 yard run untouched is better. Polamalu's INT for a TD against the Ravens to seal the Championship Game is better. Both great plays...neither in the Top-5 in Steelers history...

Yeah, I can see making a case for any of those. "Best" is really a pretty vague term in this context. The Randle El pass for instance was incredibly important in the grand scheme of things, but it was more the play call than any larger than life execution that made it great. The Troy play tops it as far as unbelievable football plays go. It's one of the greatest individual effort plays I've seen by any football player ever. The immaculate reception was certainly great, and important as far as a mile marker for when this franchise fully turned a corner into greatness, but there was more dumb luck involved than the other plays on the list. Also it didn't end up leading to a Lombardi that year as we lost the next playoff game to the Dolphins. Again, "best" is very subjective here.

The two plays in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals are pretty much indisputable though, by any standards.

86WARD
05-28-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't know...Ward executed that route pretty well...selling it out as a run and then going deep for the reception...lol. But I think you're right...best is pretty vague. I could buy the Polamalu interception against the Chargers...it's a ridiculous interception. The Wallace catch against the Packers, while it's a great throw and catch, I don't think I could even accept an argument that it is one of the best in Steelers history.

stillers4me
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Mike Tomlin stepping on the field preventing Jacoby Jones from scoring.

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 07:17 PM
I don't know...Ward executed that route pretty well...selling it out as a run and then going deep for the reception...lol. But I think you're right...best is pretty vague. I could buy the Polamalu interception against the Chargers...it's a ridiculous interception. The Wallace catch against the Packers, while it's a great throw and catch, I don't think I could even accept an argument that it is one of the best in Steelers history.

I agree about the Wallace catch, but man what a throw. After watching it again, I think it was one of the most precise, pure pocket passes from a good distance that I've seen Ben make. We're so used to seeing Ben make crazy, unconventional plays that it kind of stands out as such a perfect, textbook throw. And with no time on the clock it showed incredible poise. By no means one of the top five Steelers plays ever, but pretty damn cool none the less. It also kind of stands out as a play where our O-line gives him plenty of time to make that throw.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree about the Wallace catch, but man what a throw. After watching it again, I think it was one of the most precise, pure pocket passes from a good distance that I've seen Ben make. We're so used to seeing Ben make crazy, unconventional plays that it kind of stands out as such a perfect, textbook throw. And with no time on the clock it showed incredible poise. By no means one of the top five Steelers plays ever, but pretty damn cool none the less. It also kind of stands out as a play where our O-line gives him plenty of time to make that throw.

Actually the Packers only rushed three guys on that play so I take back any credit I gave the O-line. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Figured I'd post this, if for no other reason than it's fun to watch.

1,2, and 3 certainly should be on the list. 4 and 5 are questionable in my opinion, but it's hard to knock off 4 just because of the incredible individual effort and it was an important play in a very important game. While number 5 is also an incredible play (I remember jumping out of my seat when it happened) it was ultimately in a meaningless game. I think the fact that it was with no time left helped boast its status in the minds of the list makers, but I'd probably replace it with a Swann catch in a Super Bowl.

http://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170048381332289/6654817045191956

I got #4 and #5 confused there but I think you guys figured out what I meant. I meant that the Troy play might belong on the list but the Wallace play (though great) does not.

dislocatedday
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
4 and 5 should be replaced without a doubt. My vote would go as follows:

#4 - Polamalu Interception in 2009 AFCCG against Ravens returned for a TD
#5 - Randle El to Ward in SB XL

tube517
05-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Polamalu's INT has to be the most athletic play in Steelers history.. I don't think it's in the top 5 of Steelers all time history.

Swann's catches in SB X were just phenomenal. The sideline catch is ridiculous.

All the plays mentioned above are good candidates.

I'd throw in Stallworth's TD catch in SB XIV in the top 10 because they were in a dogfight with a 9-7 team (but the Rams had some talent). Swann was hurt so Stallworth and Bradshaw had to put the nail in the coffin.

Bettis running over Urlacher in 2005 was the start of the SB run

On a side note:
Longest (as in time) and slowest developing play in NFL history was the INT by Andy Russell in 1975 in the playoff game against the Colts

Dwinsgames
05-28-2014, 07:28 PM
still for the life of me can not figure out why a flag was not thrown on Larry Fitzgerald for trying to tackle Harrison after running 25 yards down the sidelines OUT OF BOUNDS to avoid field traffic in order to catch up to Harrison

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 07:34 PM
On a side note:
Longest (as in time) and slowest developing play in NFL history was the INT by Andy Russell in 1975 in the playoff game against the Colts

Is that right? I thought Harrison's INT and TD run in the Super Bowl took roughly about a week, give or take a few days… at least that's how it seemed in my head at the time.

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 07:45 PM
still for the life of me can not figure out why a flag was not thrown on Larry Fitzgerald for trying to tackle Harrison after running 25 yards down the sidelines OUT OF BOUNDS to avoid field traffic in order to catch up to Harrison

I think even the refs, who are supposed to be seeing everything, could not take their eyes off Harrison during that play. My own legs could have been on fire and I wouldn't have been able to take my eyes off of him at the time. :)

On a side note, my wife was pregnant during that Super Bowl and I told everyone in my house (I was hosting a SB party) that if the Steelers won I'd name the kid after the SB MVP… even if we had a girl. Going into half-time I was definitely rolling the name James around in my head. My wife vetoed me in the end and we went with the name "Nicholas" but I have one friend who still calls my son Santonio.

tube517
05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Is that right? I thought Harrison's INT and TD run in the Super Bowl took roughly about a week, give or take a few days… at least that's how it seemed in my head at the time.

http://www.steelers.com/history/three-rivers/7th-great-game-and-play.html

"That play has been a source of embarrassment for me for years," said Russell jokingly. "There have been so many jokes. Ray Mansfield was the one that said NBC cut to a commercial during the return and came back to catch me score the touchdown. Nonetheless, it was a memorable play in my career."

I can't remember the America's Game but one Steeler defensive player (Either Shell or White) threw 3 blocks on that play, because it was so slow. LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

how is this omitted ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwt9Es4oidg

Look at Charlie Waters with his hands on his hips. Helpless. LOL.

Dwinsgames
05-28-2014, 08:00 PM
http://www.steelers.com/history/three-rivers/7th-great-game-and-play.html

I can't remember the America's Game but one Steeler defensive player (Either Shell or White) threw 3 blocks on that play, because it was so slow. LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at Charlie Waters with his hands on his hips. Helpless. LOL.

I had edited my post because it wasn't the play I thought it was when posting , but still a great play IMO

silver & black
05-28-2014, 08:01 PM
#1 Immaculate Interception
#2 Immaculate Deception
#3 Holmes' SB TD catch
#4 Polamalu Interception
#5 Clark hit on Wes Welker

Fixed it for you. :wink02:

tube517
05-28-2014, 08:03 PM

For every Immaculate Reception, there is the "Holy Roller" LOL

HollywoodSteel
05-28-2014, 08:04 PM

You can get away with that given your history here. But just you. ;)

silver & black
05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
For every Immaculate Reception, there is the "Holy Roller" LOL
True! :sofunny:

ALLD
05-28-2014, 08:18 PM
I forgot about the ARE to Ward in the SB. That is definitely a top 5 supplanting Clark because of the flag.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

fansince'76
05-28-2014, 08:32 PM
I'd throw in Stallworth's TD catch in SB XIV in the top 10 because they were in a dogfight with a 9-7 team (but the Rams had some talent). Swann was hurt so Stallworth and Bradshaw had to put the nail in the coffin.

Agreed. I'd put Lambert's INT in that same game up there too, because the Rams were gonna score and take the lead again if he hadn't got that. Billy Waddy was wide open down the middle on that play and luckily Ferragamo didn't see him - it was the only mistake Ferragamo made in that game.

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/2013gigs/SBXIV_Lambert2.jpg

Butch
05-28-2014, 08:34 PM
I would have to put Lambert's slam of Cliff Harris right up there. Before that incident the Steelers were sleep walking through the game. That lit a fire under the team's ass the rest is history.

fansince'76
05-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Rocky Bleier "skying" to give the Steelers a halftime lead in SB XIII: :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1fBDifaEw

GBMelBlount
05-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Mike Tomlin stepping on the field preventing Jacoby Jones from scoring.

LOL!

All things considered Holmes catch is #1 imo.

st33lersguy
05-29-2014, 09:03 AM
For starters, this at the very least should be a top 10 list. As for no. 4 and 5, it would have to be
4. Big Ben's tackle
5. Swann's diving catch in Super Bowl 10

tube517
05-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Rocky Bleier "skying" to give the Steelers a halftime lead in SB XIII: :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D1fBDifaEw

Myron Cope is funny on the radio call of that play. Also, I think LC (or maybe Mean Joe. It was on America's Game) said that Rocky tends to "exaggerate" on the length of his jump (Probably 2 inches tops). :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Myron Cope is funny on the radio call of that play. Also, I think LC (or maybe Mean Joe. It was on America's Game) said that Rocky tends to "exaggerate" on the length of his jump (Probably 2 inches tops). :chuckle:

Yeah, I remember that America's Game episode - it was actually Randy Grossman who joked about how Bleier could talk about that play for half an hour and that he might have jumped about 3 inches off the ground, which the SI cover didn't show. :lol:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1979/0129_large.jpg

tube517
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I remember that America's Game episode - it was actually Randy Grossman who joked about how Bleier could talk about that play for half an hour and that he might have jumped about 3 inches off the ground, which the SI cover didn't show. :lol:

Yeah, Grossman. In all the 70s Americas Game episodes, Grossman, Wagner, Bleier and D.White all talked about how Chuck Noll was the worst storyteller ever. They would all look at each other puzzled after a Noll story. Great coach. Bad Storyteller. :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Yeah, Grossman. In all the 70s Americas Game episodes, Grossman, Wagner, Bleier and D.White all talked about how Chuck Noll was the worst storyteller ever. They would all look at each other puzzled after a Noll story. Great coach. Bad Storyteller. :chuckle:

Yeah, their anecdotes about Noll and his pointless stories were hilarious! :lol:

HollywoodSteel
05-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Yeah, I think he said that Bleier jumps higher every time he tells the story. Which is often. :)

Hawkman
06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Honorable Mention for the James Harrison slam of a Browns Fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fC3xNSiRTDc

Polamalu Princess
06-01-2014, 08:54 PM
I LOVE this video, but my pick will always be Troy. Love him!

polamalubeast
06-08-2014, 06:35 PM
The number 1 is the immaculate reception for me

Steelerette
06-08-2014, 07:13 PM
I remember a playoff game when Rod Woodson made a "tackle" by slamming into one of our guys, and sending him flying into the ballcarrier. Loved that play.

GBMelBlount
06-08-2014, 07:54 PM
If we are talking about simply being personal favorites I loved Troy's touchdown return of Palmer's interception.

My other favorite was when he jumped over the line and tackled Collins on the Goal line QB sneak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewSS9h3pEAU