PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' position outlook: Safety

GBMelBlount
05-24-2014, 05:46 PM
PITTSBURGH -- This is the last in a series that takes a post-free agency, post-draft look at all of the positions with the exception of quarterback.

Our ninth look is at the position where the Steelers made their most significant free-agent acquisition.

Safety

Mitchell
Who is new: Mike Mitchell. The Steelers signed the fifth-year veteran to a five-year, $25 million contract, moving quickly after the start of free agency to add speed and youth to the back end of their defense.

Who is gone: Ryan Clark. The Steelers went in another direction at free safety after eight seasons of Clark starting there. He signed a one-year contract with the Redskins, the team Clark had been with before joining the Steelers in 2006.

Returning starter: Troy Polamalu. The eight-time Pro Bowler, who agreed to a new three-year contact in March, remains the face of the Steelers’ defense. Polamalu played every game last season, and he held up remarkably well despite playing significant snaps at inside linebacker on passing downs. The addition of Ryan Shazier will allow Polamalu to play exclusively at safety though he will continue to line up all over the field in Dick LeBeau’s defense.

Most significant addition: Mitchell. Everything came together for Mitchell last season in Carolina where he intercepted four passes and registered 3 ½ sacks while recording 66 tackles. The 6-foot, 210-pounder gives the Steelers a speedy playmaker, something they desperately needed in the secondary, and he only turns 27 next month.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6729/steelers-position-outlook-safety

HollywoodSteel
05-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Shamarko Thomas is the primary back up at both safety spots, right? I wonder if he has developed a chemistry with Troy that could possibly give him a leg up over Mitchell. From everything I've read about the kid, he is a sponge when it comes to learning the safety position, and both Troy and Ryan really liked him last year.

But I doubt he would start over Mitchell unless something unforeseen happens in the pre-season. Troy had great chemistry with Chris Hope before he left and then built up the same kind of chemistry with Clark very quickly. I'd guess that's a testament to Troy as much as it is to either of those guys, so I'm not worried about him clicking with Mitchell just as quickly and easily.

salamander
05-25-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm actually excited to see how our safeties do. I have good feelings about the combination of Mike Mitchell and Troy.

steelreserve
05-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Sharko will get his chance in a year or two, and for now will have plenty of opportunities to sub in on nickel/dime packages or when someone's banged up. I don't think we signed Mitchell to a five-year deal at $5M per to be a part-time player, and I for one am excited to see what he can do.

Count Hogan
05-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Shamarko Thomas is going to come on like a hurricane brother, but for now it's time for Troy and Mike to shine.