PDA

View Full Version : With Mike Munchak at the helm, Steelers excited about line

Count Steeler
05-17-2014, 07:02 PM
What was the Steelers’ most unstable and unreliable unit the past two years might be their most stable and reliable heading into 2014.
The offensive line has a new coach, and they feel so good about their players they barely paid attention to that unit for a second consecutive draft.
“I think we can have a special group here,” said Mike Munchak, their new coach who knows his way around offensive lines.

With the Steelers, he inherited a group with four high draft picks, and one that, at long last, began to stabilize over the second half of last season. Injuries, however, cost them two starting centers, including Maurkice Pouncey on the first series of the regular season with a torn ACL, but their starting five could be set for a change entering 2014.He and Bruce Matthews each started at guard for the Houston Oilers in the 1980s. Both are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Munchak also coached the Oilers and Tennessee Titans offensive line for 14 seasons before Tennessee hired him as its head coach.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/16/With-Mike-Munchak-at-the-helm-Steelers-excited-about-line/stories/201405160051#ixzz321Lhg (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/16/With-Mike-Munchak-at-the-helm-Steelers-excited-about-line/stories/201405160051#ixzz321LhgcEV)

GBMelBlount
05-17-2014, 08:35 PM
This is why I didn't feel we needed to spend another high round pick on the offensive line.

We have some very young and talented people that may very well gel this year under Munchak.

86WARD
05-17-2014, 08:40 PM
It wasn't terrible last season...without Pouncey. Add him and Munchak...you have to think it can only get better.

Mojouw
05-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Problem is that Munchak has to get 2 tackles out of 3 players with extreme question marks.

1. Everyone loves Beachum. But I think we all love him for what he is not - an atrocious LT. We do not love him for what he his - an average LT with unanswered questions about being able to reproduce his performance the second half of last season on a regular basis. Anyone else remember when Faneca got pressed into LT duties? He did well, but it was still a situation where everyone wanted to move him back to LG as soon as was reasonable. I still have to wonder if Beachum's best position would be as a dominant LG instead of an average LT?

2. Gilbert - where to start. Slow, stupid, and not very good. At either tackle spot. Seems to work well at RT in the run game. Many reports, some conflicting, that his struggles are all related to injuries. Best case argument is that he is finally healthy and locks down the RT position. It is a contract year, so my bet is he "figures it out".

3. Adams - where to start? The only hope here is that he somehow forgets all of last year and then plays well enough in OTA's and camp so that everyone else does as well. Does anyone really think that is going to happen?

Munchak is by all accounts a great coach, but he is not an actual wizard. Have any of the glowing reports and optimistic assessments of how his coaching will whip the line into shape and how using draft status as a metric, Munchak will be magically able to make this line work - Adams-Beachum-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert actually done any research? I know that he has coached some good offensive lines as a unit, but what is his specific track record with taking technically flawed and mentally slow players with poor technique and then turning them into All-Pro tackles?

Not trying to be a downer, here, I am actually asking. No need to inundate me with links either. I will trust someone if they can tell me that it has happened. Also has anyone heard how many jobs Munchak and others think are open on the line? I figure Center and RG are not realistic competitions and DeCastro and Pouncey have those two locked. Is Foster safe? Beachum at LT (I still say that having Adams or Gilbert "beat out" Beachum for LT and making Beachum a LG would be the dream scenario)? What about Embernante - is he really a challenger for a job this year or a back-up?

Steelerette
05-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I think Embernate has an outside shot to grab LG, but more likely is to wind up as a backup, or if his camp is bad enough, he could be cut. He's a high ceiling question mark.

I can't help but agree and worry about the LT position. At LG, Beachum or maybe even Wesley Johnson would be ideal, we can live with Foster, off chance we see Embernate... all liveable situations... but who plays LT? I think we have a group of players where, we *can* wind up with a legitimate right tackle. And good tackle "depth". Just not so great for LT "starter". I'm sure Beachum would love the chance to prove us wrong and I hope he does. BUt right now it's a concern.