PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Worilds and the tranny tag / new contract?

steelreserve
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
I haven't heard any news about this in months. I'd assume we're trying to work a long-term deal out, but then again, we made it through the worst of the cap issues and it looks like we could actually absorb the $10M this year if we had to.

Are we perhaps waiting for the Woodley money to come free June 1 before making a frontloaded long-term offer? Or did we really mean the tranny tag as a one-year try-and-buy?

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 03:30 PM
I haven't heard any news about this in months. I'd assume we're trying to work a long-term deal out, but then again, we made it through the worst of the cap issues and it looks like we could actually absorb the $10M this year if we had to.

Are we perhaps waiting for the Woodley money to come free June 1 before making a frontloaded long-term offer? Or did we really mean the tranny tag as a one-year try-and-buy?

If we're paying him almost $10 mil this season anyways, and we seem to be in position to absorb it... I would be extremely satisfied with a frontloaded extension. I like the thought.

steelreserve
05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
If we're paying him almost $10 mil this season anyways, and we seem to be in position to absorb it... I would be extremely satisfied with a frontloaded extension. I like the thought.

It would be the reverse of how we usually do it, but could help a ton in future years. Unless it turns out that past half a season really was a flash and not reality, then ... gulp. Part of me thinks we really are taking the wait-and-see approach, although our choices would suck: a) See that he's average and try to find someone else; b) See that he has another good year and now commands $13M or $14M, so try to find someone else.

There's also a ton of other stuff that the Woodley money is in demand for - besides signing rookies, there would be:

- Pouncey extension
- Allen extension
- Heyward extension unless we take a $7M option next year
- Suisham extension (yes, we have to re-sign the f***ing kicker)

Also have Gilbert coming up for a contract, but seems like we'll decide to keep or drop him based on what happens this year - worthless to us if he doesn't turn the corner, expensive if he does.

It does seem like keeping Pouncey long-term is our goal, since we didn't even take a developmental late-round center or sign anyone else.

We can probably accomplish about 1 of the above plus maybe Suisham with the money we get from Woodley. We are far from being out of our salary cap trouble. The more I think about this, the more it probably means another backloaded deal for Worilds, or else we restructure it a hundred times like the Woodley deal, except hopefully he turns out to be better on the field. It would worry me, though.

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Well if we frontload him and he does work out, awesome, we can afford to sign that last-piece-of-the-puzzle free agent next offseason. If he doesn't... we can still afford it I guess, but we'll have to cut him (or, make him a backup? That should be cheap to do too if we pay him most of his $$ this year. I smell an opportunity for incentivized contract...)

Either way yes, I think how Worilds plays is going to be a major thing for our defense. Improving the D-line and ILBs, should help him out a little.

I really want to see us get both Jason and Ben extended here soon.