PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play A Game...REDRAFT!

Mojouw
05-16-2014, 10:53 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/steelers-2014-redraft-thread/#comments

So same rules as in the Steelers Depot thread...player has to be either the same one the Steelers took (you agree with the pick) or a player that was taken prior to their next selection. Could be fun to see if some alternatives are consistently identified and how the players develop over the next year or so.

Here's mine (mostly through black and gold glasses):

1. Ryan Shazier - I've come around to really like this pick.
2. Stephon Tuitt - Another pick I don't have much to complain about.
3. Pierre Desir - take the corner with perhaps the best upside left on the board
4. Martavis Bryant - liked this pick from the get-go
5a. Shaq Richardson - tall and fast. rest of the corners are shorter and slower. Guess I'll stay with this.
5b. Wesley Johnson - Give Munchak the benefit of the doubt here.
6a. Christian Jones - better athlete. Might not work out, but it is the 6th round.
6b. McCullers - if they can teach him to bend down, he may be a Sam Adams rock in the middle.
7. Branchflower - folks have convinced me he is a good pick.

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 11:29 AM
1. Ryan Shazier considering we essentially get better in the front 7 and back 4 because of this 1 selection , pretty hard to second guess it

2. Stephon Tuitt for me clearly the best player on the board that fits our needs

3. Bashaud Breeland CB a big need and I believe Breeland has the tools to be a very good one over the next couple years

4. Martavis Bryant WR again addressing a need with one of the best players on the board from pos grade perspective

5a. Ed Reynolds FS another talented player with a ton of upside also another smart player ( can never have to many of those )

5b. Jarred Abbrederis WR double dipping on a pos of need with the best WR left on the board

6. Duvernay-Tardif, Laurent OT Long and Big tackle that is very under rated IMO

6b. Daniel McCullers NT complete steal at this pick point IMO

7. Yawin Smallwood LB best player on my board

UDFA

Kirby Van Der Kamp Punter ...no more messing around here best punter draft eligible and should have been drafted

Joe Don Duncan TE complete player with only questions marks being level of talent against

Alden Darby DB can ( and has ) played every spot in the secondary , has quality ball skills

Josh Mauro DE perfect fit at DE in the 3-4 smart / played at high level vs top competition

Brett Smith QB does everything well shocked he was not drafted

Antonio Andrews RB poor proday 40 time hurt him a better showing he is probably drafted in 6th round

Cody Hoffman WR hard to argue the kids production 3600 plus yards and 33 TDS at 6'4 and runs a 4.5 -40

Antonio Richardson OT at one time he was considered a late 1st to early 2nd round pick , why not roll the dice here ?

James Hurst OT another guy that baffles me why he was not drafted ( I gave him a 4th round grade ) whats not to like at this point ?

Paul Porras SS nobody is going to outwork him a tackling machine ( 295 at rice ) can cover and hit

there is my redraft

86WARD
05-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Dwins - Love your UDFAs ... Only thing I would add is Colt Lyerla instead of Duncan. I'll take the chance on the head case at a minimum contract.

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
While there are spots I would have picked someone else, to me there were no picks that were complete nonsense a la Bruce Davis, so I'll roll with what we've got.

Anxious for the post June-1 FA period though.

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Dwins - Love your UDFAs ... Only thing I would add is Colt Lyerla instead of Duncan. I'll take the chance on the head case at a minimum contract.

If I said I didn't consider him I would be lying , Took Duncan instead because I felt the difference in ability is almost negligible ( albeit level of competition was vastly different ) my thought was the off field issues more than made up the difference ( for me anyways ) not everyone will agree and that's cool ..was just my personal logic on it as to why I went Duncan

Texasteel
05-16-2014, 01:56 PM

Don't know if I would touch him bud. He's not only a head case but a total jurk, and seems to enjoy being both. Does have talent though.

Mojouw
05-16-2014, 02:01 PM
This team has a bad history with talented drug addicts. Eric Greene, Tim Worley, Bam Morris. All talented players who decided they liked drugs more than football.

Don't think they will be too eager to jump in on Lyerla. Not questioning the talent, just the attitude and focus.

steelreserve
05-16-2014, 03:06 PM
OK, go ahead and tear this one apart:

1. Darquese Dennard
2. Tuitt
3. DaQuan Jones
4. Bryant
5. Antone Exum
5. Johnson
6-7. (unchanged)

Basically, the theory behind this goes that we need help at DB more than LB. Wait, two DTs, isn't that a waste? Well, our third pick was basically a waste already. McCullers is by far the best we could've gotten with a 6th-round pick but by no means a sure thing, so hopefully we could also get one good DT and a serviceable backup out of the two here and McLendon could be a DE/utility player on the defensive line. We were paper-thin at that position, so I'd rather we have a fighting chance than just taking a flyer.

Say what you will about Dennard; I've heard both sides and would obviously be betting on the fact that a good coach could correct some of his tendencies.

I thought about putting Clinton-Dix at #1 ("Wait! We don't need a safety, we already have enough safeties!" - "Well, we didn't need more linebackers and we still drafted one of those") but then decided that was dumb, as it just proved the same point I had about not needing to draft another linebacker.