PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Rookies

Shoes
05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Haven't heard much positive on the forum about these guys except Mauro. Are they really that bad?

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Whats-intriguing-about-9-undrafted-rookies/20803070-f112-4ec5-baa0-2cc057c45e64

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Watched Mauro and not a fan. Slow footed and much weaker for his size.

Still watching them but like Roy Philon. Decent athlete that plays with good leverage and can shed. Eric Waters was rarely used and has a lean build but looks to be a good athlete who was asked to block a ton, even if he isn't particularly skilled in that area.

Howard Jones still excites me the most especially with the lack of depth at OLB.

Shoes
05-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks Chidi…..how is school going?

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks Chidi…..how is school going?

Good, thanks for asking. Just finished my junior year.

Shoes
05-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Congrats…whats the plans for the summer?

Texasteel
05-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Junior Year? Seem like you just started a few months ago. My Gosh this kids grow up fast.

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Congrats…whats the plans for the summer?

Just keep writing for Depot...hoping to get down to camp and cover the team for the site some. We'll see.

And I know Tex. Crazy. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it.

LLT
05-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Haven't heard much positive on the forum about these guys except Mauro. Are they really that bad?

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Whats-intriguing-about-9-undrafted-rookies/20803070-f112-4ec5-baa0-2cc057c45e64

Just a quick breakdown.

The Bad News:

Cincinnati quarterback Brendon Kay wasn't drafted for a reason. He seems to have a strong arm and can go stretches where he looks really good, but in the end, he is erratic and makes bad decisions. Doesn't do a very good job of going through the progressions, and tends to stare down wide receivers. Would get eaten up by pro DB's.

Stanford defensive back Devon Carrington seems to project as a safety. Good leg strength and quickness but his straight line speed is suspect.

Youngstown State Offensive lineman Chris Elkins, seems to have generated some buzz, but I don't see it. Technique is okay, but not explosive or strong. Possible PS until he bulks up.

Same for UAB offensive tackle Kaycee Ike, Doesn't have the violent hand punch you would want to see in a tackle, and not explosive out of the snap.

East Carolina OG Will Simmons also under-impressed me. Not sure what the front office sees in him, unless they have hopes of development on the PS.

The Good News:

Missouri TE Eric Waters may find a spot on this team. Had he been invited to the combine, his 39.5 vertical would have been the best among all TE's and his 4.58 forty would have been 2nd out of that group. Wasn't asked to catch a great deal due to Missouri's offensive scheme, but seems to have soft hands. He is a willing blocker but may need some conditioning to take on NFL DE's.

Stanford defensive end Josh Mauro probably should have been drafted. He has an explosive index of 71, May fit into our currently thin rotation as a wave player, very versatile and can play anywhere on the front.

Wisconsin defensive end Ethan Hemer may surprise. He has an explosive index of 70.5 . He ran a 5.11 forty and shows very good strength. May need to add some moves to his arsenal, but seems relentless when taking on blockers.

Shepherd outside linebacker Howard Jones is interesting. He is fast and strong. His explosive index is a remarkable 71, and he runs a 4.54 forty. Shows a hesitancy in changing direction that might be a result of either tight hips or slow diagnostic ability. May initially be a STer to take advantage of his skills, and will need coached up before being used in the LBer rotation.

Undetermined:
Louisville defensive tackle Roy Philon is coming off of a shoulder surgery. He will probably need to add some sand to his base, but seems athletic enough. Recorded 28 tackles for loss and 8 sacks as a defensive tackle. May be cut if shoulder is any kind of issue.

tube517
05-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Just keep writing for Depot...hoping to get down to camp and cover the team for the site some. We'll see.

And I know Tex. Crazy. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it.

Yeah, I remember when you first started. Now, after you graduate, we'll probably see you up there taking Mayock or Kiper's job :chuckle:

Good to see you back. I usually take a peek at you or Dwins on Twitter. So much to read.

Mojouw
05-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Kay may get more of a look than at first glance...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/brendon-kay-appears-steelers-choice-push-landry-jones-camp/

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Rookie Camp Roster

50 Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
91 Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame
34 Dri Archer RB/WR Kent State
10 Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
31 Shaquille Richardson CB Arizona
67 Wesley Johnson OL Vanderbilt
56 Jordan Zumwalt LB UCLA
74 Daniel McCullers DL Tennessee
87 Rob Blanchflower TE Massachusetts
61 Chris Elkins OL Youngstown State
79 Ethan Hemer DE Wisconsin
62 Kaycee Ike OT UAB
47 Howard Jones LB Shepherd
8 Brendon Kay QB Cincinnati
71 Josh Mauro DE Stanford
62 Roy Philon DT Louisville
65 Will Simmons OG East Carolina
80 Eric Waters TE Missouri
33 Alvester Alexander RB Wyoming
15 Justin Brown WR Oklahoma
13 Danny Coale WR Virginia Tech
18 Jasper Collins WR Mount Union
42 Jordan Dangerfield S Towson
45 Bryce Davis LS Central Oklahoma
74 Christopher Hubbard G UAB
65 Al Lapuaho DT Utah State
30 Miguel Maysonet RB Stony Brook
45 Dan Molls LB Toledo
19 Kashif Moore WR Connecticut
17 Lanear Sampson WR Baylor
30 Devin Smith DB Wisconsin
9 Brad Wing P LSU
49 *Jordan Hall HB Ohio State
2 *Mason Espinosa QB Ohio Wesleyan
4 *Terrance Owens QB Toledo
50 *Vincent Jones C Utah
56 *Adam Gress OT Penn State
57 *Grant King OT Georgia State
26 *Jake Demadel S St. Francis
33 *Lew Toler CB Rutgers
34 *Corey Brown CB Ohio State
8 *Cameron Truss CB Bowling Green
37 *Devon Carrington CB Stanford
27 *Najja Johnson CB Buffalo
44 *Maalik Bomar LB Cincinnati
40 *Delbert Tyler LB Hampton
46 *Shayne Gordon LB Pittsburgh
61 *Mike Franklin DT Sheppard
64 *Jibreel Black DT Michigan
42 *Cody Webster P Purdue
9 *Dayonne Nunley CB Miami (OH)
38 *Dorian Bell LB Duquesne
(* tryout)

Source:
http://www.steelersgab.com/2014/05/15/steelers-kick-off-rookie-mini-camp-friday/#4Dw8PiZd80eA2bIf.99

Chidi29
05-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I remember when you first started. Now, after you graduate, we'll probably see you up there taking Mayock or Kiper's job :chuckle:

Good to see you back. I usually take a peek at you or Dwins on Twitter. So much to read.

Wish I was here more...should be during the summer when I have less going on. And hopefully next season too. Doing a little less at our TV station now so I hope to have some extra time.