PDA

View Full Version : Josh Mauro a Steeler

Dwinsgames
05-10-2014, 06:45 PM
UDFA who had a late 4th round grade from me

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Can we turn this into the UDFA thread? Really curious to see who all winds up here.

- - - Updated - - -

Is he a little undersized, he could be a good career backup. If he can make the team there won't be any room anywhere for Cam Thomas

- - - Updated - - -

We got TE Eric Waters

Shoes
05-10-2014, 06:54 PM
SWEET!!

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 06:59 PM
We got OLB Howard Jones

- - - Updated - - -

Safety Devon Carrington

Aussie_steeler
05-10-2014, 06:59 PM
What other links do you have?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/10/5703808/undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-2014-nfl-draft

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 07:05 PM
We got Chris Elkins, guard from Youngstown

- - - Updated - - -

we got QB Brendon Kay, Cincinnati... camp arm

- - - Updated - - -

DT Ethan Hemer, Wisc.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2014, 07:11 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/10/5703808/undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-2014-nfl-draft

Twitter

Josh Mauro ‏@JustJoshin90 (https://twitter.com/JustJoshin90) When you sleep on a beast just be ready for a rude awakening #DifferentChapterSameRoad (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DifferentChapterSameRoad&src=hash) #SteelCurtain (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SteelCurtain&src=hash)

- - - Updated - - -

Twitter

Josh Mauro ‏@JustJoshin90 (https://twitter.com/JustJoshin90) When you sleep on a beast just be ready for a rude awakening #DifferentChapterSameRoad (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23DifferentChapterSameRoad&src=hash) #SteelCurtain (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SteelCurtain&src=hash)

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Ohio State RB Jordan Hall, apparently

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 07:23 PM
OT Kaycee Ike

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Ohio State WR Corey Brown

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 08:04 PM
DT Roy Philon

OG Will Simmons

QB Terrance Owens Toledo

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Honestly I love Mauro but I'm underwhelmed by the rest of our UDFA thus far. We even trying to bring in any CBs?

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Where did all those undrafted CB's from Florida end up? Wishing the Steelers would've scooped one of them up.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Jibreel Black, DT Michigan, for a tryout I think.

SS Jake DeMedal, St Francis

- - - Updated - - -

WE JUST PICKED UP COLT LYERLA!!!!!!!! :willy:

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Jibreel Black, DT Michigan, for a tryout I think.

SS Jake DeMedal, St Francis

- - - Updated - - -

WE JUST PICKED UP COLT LYERLA!!!!!!!! :willy:

Hopefully he can stay out of jail and off cocaine long enough to attend OTA's and minicamp

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Yeah no kidding. This guy's a second round talent at worst. But he decided to quit the team to smoke crack or something...

If he can stay motivated and perform somehow, there's your heir to Miller.

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Yeah no kidding. This guy's a second round talent at worst. But he decided to quit the team to smoke crack or something...

If he can stay motivated and perform somehow, there's your heir to Miller.

No doubt. Wasn't trying to tamp down your obvious excitement BUT...

Guys with one offense and then they seem to move on -- I don't give it a second thought. These are 18-22 year olds. They are going to say and do dumb things.

Guys that replicate the same or similar mistakes over and over again -- not even youthful ignorance can explain that away.

I hope this young man gets his act together and realizes the amazing opportunity he is being given to change his and his loved ones lives potentially forever. I would say that whether he ended up a Steeler or on any NFL team.

Shoes
05-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Guys with one offense and then they seem to move on -- I don't give it a second thought. These are 18-22 year olds. They are going to say and do dumb things.

Guys that replicate the same or similar mistakes over and over again -- not even youthful ignorance can explain that away.

I hope this young man gets his act together and realizes the amazing opportunity he is being given to change his and his loved ones lives potentially forever. I would say that whether he ended up a Steeler or on any NFL team.

Hopefully this long slide will wake him. Just makes one wonder what happens with a little success and money in the pocket. He needs to have solid people around him.

Godfather
05-10-2014, 09:22 PM

Agree. That's flat out stupid, and you can't fix stupid.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 09:26 PM
As far as all the corners, no idea. I've only been watching for Steelers UDFA

Aussie_steeler
05-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Lyerla is just an internet rumor.

Shoes
05-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Must be, this is what I've found.
Pittsburgh Steelers
C Chris Elkins, Youngstown State
TE Eric Waters, Missouri
DE Josh Mauro, Stanford
LB Howard Jones, Shepherd
OL Will Simmons, East Carolina
QB Brendon Kay, Cincinnati
DL Ethan Hemer, Wisconsin
QB Terrance Owens, Toledo

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Yes, the Steelers have "talked to him" but apparently no signing. I kind of hope they do.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2014, 10:13 PM
this is on twitter not sure how " official "

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnUpBGeCQAALArp.jpg:large

Shoes
05-10-2014, 10:24 PM
What are your thoughts on the FA's Dwins.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 10:28 PM
With so many good players going undrafted... besides Mauro, I don't know why we went after such terrible UDFAs. It's like I'm completely satisfied with our draft but I hate this crop of guys.

Steelman
05-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Mauro is a great pickup, but with the list of guys I saw going undrafted, I'm baffled by the rest of these.

Drazo85
05-11-2014, 03:47 AM
Joe Don Duncan TE
Louichez Purifoy CB
Victor Hampton CB
Anthony Steen G
Marcus Roberson CB

These are some notable names that are still available. Feel free to correct me if some of these guys are signed.

86WARD
05-11-2014, 06:07 AM

I was hoping that wasn't a rumor...but his sketchy past doesn't make sense for the steelers...

ALLD
05-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Picked up two UDFA QBs. Is that so they have enough arms to be on HBO?

Godfather
05-11-2014, 07:50 AM
They should get Jordan Jefferson so the defense can practice returning interceptions.

Texasteel
05-11-2014, 08:11 AM
this is on twitter not sure how " official "

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnUpBGeCQAALArp.jpg:large

Can't imagine Josh not being drafted at all. Bet he has time to talk to you now Paul.

The problem I see, is that all of a sudden we look like we may be stocked on the D-Line. Wish the young man luck.

Stanfords Carrington could be an interesting kid.

Mostly I see camp bodies.

Dwinsgames
05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Can't imagine Josh not being drafted at all. Bet he has time to talk to you now Paul.

The problem I see, is that all of a sudden we look like we may be stocked on the D-Line. Wish the young man luck.

Stanfords Carrington could be an interesting kid.

Mostly I see camp bodies.

yea he DM'd me on twitter twice late last night ( got them this morning ) LOL good call Tex

stillers4me
05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
yea he DM'd me on twitter twice late last night ( got them this morning ) LOL good call Tex

Looks like the guy got smacked in the face with perspective.

NCSteeler
05-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Sounds like a guy with serious problems
"Scouts nicknamed him 'ankle bracelet.' His nickname was ankle bracelet, because he'd go dark," McShay said. "He'd be gone for days. You had to put an ankle bracelet on him to be able to locate him. I mean, the guy... it's scary."

Dwinsgames
05-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Looks like the guy got smacked in the face with perspective.

yea probably so , he did tweet something last night too about sleeping on a giant or something .... so big chip on shoulder apparently now ... that can work both ways for a young player hopefully it works for him and not against him

SteelerFanInStl
05-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Outside of Mauro, completely uninspiring list of UDFAs. With the abundance of talent out there, this is really disappointing.

HollywoodSteel
05-15-2014, 01:38 PM
I still really hope they re-sign the Beard. We have a lot of young blood now on the d-line, with no doubt a lot of potential, but it worries me to not have that veteran presence around. I think he still has little left in the tank and it would be useful to get a nice rotation of D-linemen going until the young guys really prove themselves as starters. I like that we are getting less "slow and old" but with our infusion of rookies on the d-line, along with our young linebacking core, it scares me to make too big a shift to so many baby-starters this quickly.

This is also why I wouldn't mind bringing James Harrison back into camp to compete against Chris Carter for that last OLB spot. We have a complicated defense so having a couple of proven Steeler veterans in that front seven, at least as back ups if needed, will make me sleep a little easier going into this season.

Chidi29
05-15-2014, 09:41 PM
I still really hope they re-sign the Beard. We have a lot of young blood now on the d-line, with no doubt a lot of potential, but it worries me to not have that veteran presence around. I think he still has little left in the tank and it would be useful to get a nice rotation of D-linemen going until the young guys really prove themselves as starters. I like that we are getting less "slow and old" but with our infusion of rookies on the d-line, along with our young linebacking core, it scares me to make too big a shift to so many baby-starters this quickly.

This is also why I wouldn't mind bringing James Harrison back into camp to compete against Chris Carter for that last OLB spot. We have a complicated defense so having a couple of proven Steeler veterans in that front seven, at least as back ups if needed, will make me sleep a little easier going into this season.

Agreed. Give Keisel one year deal. If not, you're basically throwing Tuitt into that right end spot. He's talented but that's ovewhelming as a rookie.

Steelerette
05-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Agreed. Give Keisel one year deal. If not, you're basically throwing Tuitt into that right end spot. He's talented but that's ovewhelming as a rookie.

I can't help but agree. Because if they don't bring in Keisel? Can you really make an argument that Arnfelt or Thomas is a better starter than Tuitt? No.

Chidi29
05-15-2014, 10:03 PM
I can't help but agree. Because if they don't bring in Keisel? Can you really make an argument that Arnfelt or Thomas is a better starter than Tuitt? No.

Definitely. From talent aspects, there's no contest. Tuitt wins. So you're asking a guy who won't turn 21 until training camp to start. Unsettling.

Steelerette
05-15-2014, 10:26 PM
The more I think about it, even if Mauro is never going to be a superstar this is one of the steals of the draft. For all we did at addressing the defense, for how stacked we are at linebacker, safety, and DT, and for how good our starting DE group should be... we are seriously lacking DE depth. A developing Mauro shores it up quite nicely.

Dwinsgames
05-15-2014, 10:33 PM
The more I think about it, even if Mauro is never going to be a superstar this is one of the steals of the draft. For all we did at addressing the defense, for how stacked we are at linebacker, safety, and DT, and for how good our starting DE group should be... we are seriously lacking DE depth. A developing Mauro shores it up quite nicely.

The thing is Mauro could probably be coached up to start had we not drafted Tuitt . really smart kid playbook will not give him any issues to get him as an UDFA is unreal ( was listed as one of the top 10 FA pickups left over from this draft )

Steelerette
05-15-2014, 10:40 PM
So Mauro was easily a 5th, maybe a 4th if some team falls in love with him... we got lucky to get him UDFA but I'm sure part of him choosing us was seeing there's a real shot to make the team. And that's this year. Where does he project if it were a typical year, not one with this absurd depth like we had?

Chidi29
05-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Brief scouting report on Mauro I did for Depot. Should be up tomorrow morning.

Dwins probably won't like what I have to say about him...

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Dwins probably won't like what I have to say about him...I probably won't either then. It's good to have healthy criticism, skepticism, ask questions, etc. But you've been such a negative nellie around here lately.

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 12:15 AM
I probably won't either then. It's good to have healthy criticism, skepticism, ask questions, etc. But you've been such a negative nellie around here lately.

If you check out some of my reports, I was pretty excited about the draft. Gave the Steelers' a solid B and Shazier/Tuitt both earned A's. Blanchflower got a B.

Just being realistic. Using history as our guide, most of these players flop. I'm not going to get super excited about every single pick. Because most of them won't do something super exciting.

And with McCullers and Richardson, I was already luke-warm on them in the pre-draft process. Not going to change my opinion just because of the uniform they're wearing is the one I root for.

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm not really the rah-rah type myself. And while I still am concerned about our CB situation, to me every draft pick this year made rational sense at the very least. Hindsight is easy to do, we have guys every year who don't work out. But the past few seasons we've actually had rather sensible drafts - for the time when they were conducted. Blanchflower is not really my favorite but I have to admit he has at least a shot at making the roster. Same with Zumwalt, I wouldn't have made that pick but he does have some grit to him and has a real shot to play special teams and backup at ILB.

And that's just the thing. This isn't a black and white sport, there's a lot of shades of relativism in there. I mean Mauro, a guy who fell because of depth at the position but is probably drafted most years, he's obviously not a complete player. But we pick him up as an UDFA and he has a legitimate shot at competing for a roster spot, and this for an UDFA, and you still need to write up a report and say terrible things about him? My goodness. We know he's not Ray Seals :)

Steeldude
05-16-2014, 03:52 AM
IMO, Mauro is slow and not very formidable at the point of attack. He needs to gain about 15lbs at the very least. How much will that extra weight slow an already slow person? I doubt he even makes the practice squad

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 08:39 AM
He might not. But what gives him a chance is our pretty relative lack of depth at DE and OLB. I'm pleased with our projected starters of course but, I think it can only be good to bring this guy into camp. Look out for Ethan Hemer too, not a big name but he quietly had some nice production at Wisconsin. Of course to me, best of all would be to bring back Keisel for one more go to help get Tuitt seasoned.

NCSteeler
05-16-2014, 10:31 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/127497/five-steelers-undrafted-free-agents-to-watch

For Steelerette, some positive comments. LOL

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 10:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/127497/five-steelers-undrafted-free-agents-to-watch

good link seems to agree with me and not so much the nay sayers ...

DE Josh Mauro, Stanford: The 6-6, 282-pounder is certainly built for defensive end in a 3-4 scheme. Mauro has long arms and good strength, and he recorded 51 tackles, including 12 ½ for losses, and four sacks in 2013. The Steelers could still use depth at defensive end and Mauro is an intriguing prospect.

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm not really the rah-rah type myself. And while I still am concerned about our CB situation, to me every draft pick this year made rational sense at the very least. Hindsight is easy to do, we have guys every year who don't work out. But the past few seasons we've actually had rather sensible drafts - for the time when they were conducted. Blanchflower is not really my favorite but I have to admit he has at least a shot at making the roster. Same with Zumwalt, I wouldn't have made that pick but he does have some grit to him and has a real shot to play special teams and backup at ILB.

And that's just the thing. This isn't a black and white sport, there's a lot of shades of relativism in there. I mean Mauro, a guy who fell because of depth at the position but is probably drafted most years, he's obviously not a complete player. But we pick him up as an UDFA and he has a legitimate shot at competing for a roster spot, and this for an UDFA, and you still need to write up a report and say terrible things about him? My goodness. We know he's not Ray Seals :)

It's just the cold reality of it. Like I wrote in my article today, last year, only 3 of the 15 UDFAs made the team - and they were all on the practice squad. That's just 20%. If you were to take that percentage and apply it to this year, you get 1.8. Since you can't have .8 of a player, you round down to one. Meaning, only one player would make the roster or practice squad.

Of course, no reason the percentage will stay the same but it shows how slim the chances are. And the guys that don't make it usually don't make it because they're not good enough. Just another reality of it all. There's 90 guys on the roster right now. Only 61 spots available. Lot of guys getting the pink slip.

Are there players I liked in this UDFA class? Yup. I think the best UDFA DL we got was Roy Philon from Louisville. He's got a shot to stick. I like Eric Waters from Missouri. Vastly underused in college and a good athlete.

If I said I liked all the picks and thought they all had a great chance to succeed, I'm essentially calling this the best draft class in the league and one of the best classes we've ever had. Of course, that's unlikely to be true. Some guys just won't succeed.

I look at the player and nothing else. What do I see on tape? If I don't see anything encouraging, that's what I'm going to say. It would be insane to say anything else. If I like them, I'll tell ya. If I don't, I'll say that too. Trying to be as objective as possible in a league that yes, is extremely subjective and filled with shades of grey. I'm going to be wrong a lot on these players, I'm sure. Nature of the business.

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Not to cherry pick plays, because there are other examples, but here's Mauro (the RE) getting reverse pancaked...by a svelte, 275 pound (listed) redshirt freshman.

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=247198&gif=VillainousUglyFritillarybutterfly

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I still think you're not giving Mauro enough credit, but...

He is out to prove himself with quite a chip on his shoulder, and he'll certainly get the chance. There's not a lot going on at DE behind Heyward and Tuitt, so Mauro and Hemer both will get their shot.

The only way I don't see at least one of them making the team, is if we decide to bring back Keisel to start the season and transition Tuitt. That would leave probably Tomas, Mauro, Hemer, Arnfelt, and another guy or two, all competing for basically one spot. It could be a good problem to have.

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 05:25 PM
And hey, I hope he succeeds. I'm not rooting for him to fail. Just based off of what I've seen, I don't see it happening. I don't know what you want me to say - he didn't look good in my eyes, but I think he can do well anyway? I'm not going to get caught up in the groupthink and the name and school he has.

Again, not like I don't like any of these UDFAs. Already talked about the ones I liked, one of which was a DE. I can't like every single one...that's just me being a homer.

Defensive end is still a big concern to me. Depth is minimal so you're right, someone can step up and snag a spot. But the options are pretty bleak right now.

Aussie_steeler
05-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Defensive end rotation going into camp looks competitive for me. It has gone from a glaring weakness on the team to a solid unit with developmental depth.

Starting LDE - Cameron Heyward
Starting RDE - Cam Thomas ( due to Free Agent Contract)

Swing DE in a pinch: Steve McClendon

Back up: Brian Arnfeldt, Nick Williams

Drafted: Stephon Tuitt

UDFA: Josh Mauro, Ethan Hemer, Roy Philon ( among the best UDFA prospects picked up)

I just don't see any need or space for Brett Keisel with 8 players set to fight it out for 5 spots.

He would only limit the development of one player ( Arnfeldt or Williams) and definitely see one of the UDFA's from missing out on a chance to play for a spot on the practice squad during training camp.

Check out Roy Philon's tape. I will let you all pass comment.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/roy-philon-vs-houston-2013/

Steelerette
05-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Yeah, Philon too. DT but I think he has the right body for End in our system.

DE depth is quite an issue but, we'll have a lot of people competing for those one or two spots.

I don't think we'll bring back Keisel but I can see us doing it if it's decided that Cam Thomas is expendable. He would be an excellent mentor for Tuitt if it does go that way.

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 06:26 PM
1 Play anything can happen , lets look at a greater body of work shall we ?

like complete game cutups

vs Arizona State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqm8rvZ1ti0

VS Oregon State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzX96VlTJYM

VS UCLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlERoTcrzfo

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 06:33 PM
VS Army

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgtQz82GFA

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Well you completely missed me saying that it was just one play...sorry I didn't make GIFs for all the negative plays? I'd, you know, be here awhile if I tried that.

And yeah, let's look at the Youtube channel of the dude who is clearly a HUGE Mauro fan.

Do you know why Darrick Ware is such a huge fan of Mauro, Dwins?

Because that's his stepbrother.

https://www.facebook.com/darrick.ware.9?fref=ufi

Unbiased? Yeah...no. Sorry man, 1:30 cutups of only the good plays doesn't do it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's that the "greater body of work" then shoot, I'm having Tomlin call my mom and tell him what a great athlete I am.

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Well you completely missed me saying that it was just one play...sorry I didn't make GIFs for all the negative plays? I'd, you know, be here awhile if I tried that.

And yeah, let's look at the Youtube channel of the dude who is clearly a HUGE Mauro fan.

Do you know why Darrick Ware is such a huge fan of Mauro, Dwins?

Because that's his stepbrother.

https://www.facebook.com/darrick.ware.9?fref=ufi

Unbiased? Yeah...no. Sorry man, 1:30 cutups of only the good plays doesn't do it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's that the "greater body of work" then shoot, I'm having Tomlin call my mom and tell him what a great athlete I am.

didnt realize he also worked for draft breakdown

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 09:49 PM
He did? Where? Only game from breakdown on Mauro is by JMPJedi...not Ward.

And yes, I watched that one. Was not impressed. The others...biased as heck and can't be taken credibly. When a guy's youtube channel is nothing but videos dedicated to one guy, you have to immediately question it. And then five minutes later I found out it was his stepbrother.

Dwinsgames
05-16-2014, 10:13 PM
He did? Where? Only game from breakdown on Mauro is by JMPJedi...not Ward.

And yes, I watched that one. Was not impressed. The others...biased as heck and can't be taken credibly. When a guy's youtube channel is nothing but videos dedicated to one guy, you have to immediately question it. And then five minutes later I found out it was his stepbrother.

that was my point , I posted all full game vids available , was nothing intended to be biased , it is what is out there ....

there are not highlights , its standard cutups ...

sure if it is his bro of corse he is a fan , and dedicates them to his brothers cause .... that does not make them biased because it does not change the plays made ....

it would be different had I posted highlights ( lots of those on youtube ) those are select games

Chidi29
05-16-2014, 10:17 PM
So against UCLA, Mauro didn't play a single snap until the end of the third quarter? And on his first snap, it just so happened to be a tackle? Unlikely.

If you think 1-3 minute clips from a relative are the "standard" then I can't change your mind.

86WARD
05-17-2014, 05:46 AM
So against UCLA, Mauro didn't play a single snap until the end of the third quarter? And on his first snap, it just so happened to be a tackle? Unlikely.

If you think 1-3 minute clips from a relative are the "standard" then I can't change your mind.

That video jumps all around timing wise...

Dwinsgames
05-17-2014, 07:32 AM

where did I say that ?

what I said was I provided what was available that was not classified as a Highlight real ...

as for why it started in the 3rd Quarter I can not say as it would only be a guess and the reasoning could be innocent or sinister .... games come on half way through all the time as 1 game ends they jump into another one , was this the case ? I have no clue I was not there ... was it because he did nothing prior ? perhaps it was , lots of cutups work that way if on a specific player they show that players plays and nothing else for the game ...sinister or common theme ? guess that is up to the viewer to decide ...

but I am not going to argue this with you its pointless I have far more important matter to attend to as yesterday my Dad was rushed to the hospital non responsive due to copd, asbestosis and a bad heart with co2 levels almost off the charts from his lung issues and being on oxygen 24-7 for the last half dozen years ... at 81 years old my thoughts are with him not this

LLT
05-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Mauro and Hemer both scored over 70 on the explosive index....There is definitely something there we can work with.

The question becomes... how much of the playbook can they absorb to have ANY amount of contribution to this team?...but then again, the same can (and will) be said about Tuitt.

I look for one of the these two UDFA's to make the roster and the other possibly be put on the PS.

86WARD
05-18-2014, 08:00 AM
DE in LeBeau's D isn't an easy thing to learn either. Takes a couple seasons in most cases...

tube517
10-14-2014, 10:50 PM
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/Medfords-Hemer-Signs-with-SteelersAgain-279203021.html

Medford's Ethan Hemer is back in the NFL.

Hemer has been re-signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers to their practice squad. He flew to Pittsburgh Monday night and will be in uniform when the Steelers return to the practice field on Wednesday.

Kiesel is questionable. McClendon is out. Cam Thomas sucks.

Steelerette
10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Mauro belonged on the 53 in the first place, so let's hope so.

While some of the moves that have been going on today seem like panic, if we're really switching gears into "nothing-to-lose" mode and trying out some different things, that can only help us long-term.

one side only
10-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Someone would have to be cut to make room for Mauro on the 53-man.

Dwinsgames
10-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Someone would have to be cut to make room for Mauro on the 53-man.

yep .. but the reality is he should have been there all along

as one of my draft hoe's I demand he makes it too lol

but really he played well enough to merit it and he is one of those guys who will play 10 years or more in the league

one side only
10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
yep .. but the reality is he should have been there all along

as one of my draft hoe's I demand he makes it too lol

but really he played well enough to merit it and he is one of those guys who will play 10 years or more in the league

I'm all for cutting Cam Thomas . . . why wait until the end of the season?

Dwinsgames
10-15-2014, 12:03 PM

I am still boggled it did not happen before the season ...he did NOT make my final 53 and it was not close

steelreserve
10-15-2014, 12:43 PM

I am still boggled it did not happen before the season ...he did NOT make my final 53 and it was not close

They paid him too much money, that's all. Cutting him and eating the $1M signing bonus before he played a snap would be too much egg on the face of Colbert or Tomlin or whoever was behind the idea. Basically admitting they fucked up because they were desperate and didn't know what they were doing. Have to let him play out the season so you can say, "Welp, we gave him a shot and it's the player's fault for not living up to it." From the moment he signed, he was basically guaranteed a roster spot for that reason alone. It sucks, but that's what happened.

Still pisses me off how many NT prospects we've passed over in favor of using the same strategy we use for CBs, or in other words, "If talent at a position is scarce and hard to draft, leave it until the late rounds, especially if a good prospect inexplicably falls to round 2 or 3." I mean, looking back at this year's draft, the best NT prospect (Louis Nix) ended up on IR, but I'd still rather have him than Dri fucking Archer.

one side only
10-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Interesting article on Mauro impersonating JJ Watt during practice. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/10/19/being-jj-steelers-relying-on-scout-team-rookie-to-impersonate-texans-star-watt/

Steelman
10-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Put him in, coach.

TMC
10-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Interesting article on Mauro impersonating JJ Watt during practice. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/10/19/being-jj-steelers-relying-on-scout-team-rookie-to-impersonate-texans-star-watt/

While I get Mauro is trying to impersonate him, the differences between the two are pretty drastic. Watt was 20 pounds heavier coming out of college. He was also faster and stronger. Physically, Watt was a specimen. The key for Watt was if he could translate that to the NFL. He was something of a slow-starter in games, could be blocked by LTs, and did not play to the power he had all the time. He also struggled some with recognition. Now, do not remember if they were 2-gapping him or not in college, but the Texans put him in a system where he flourished and Watt did the rest himself, cleaning up his game, playing with a great motor, using all his physical tools to become elite. Some guys do it, some don't.

Mauro has better recognition. He plays smart. Polished. He can work blockers. The problem with Mauro, he lacks size, power, speed, and the physical attributes that Watt had. Much easier to get a guy to turn it on if he has the skills than it is to get a guy who has the mental to develop the physical. It would be nice, but I just do not see Mauro making that leap.

To me, Hemer is a little closer to Watt physically than any other guys on roster (unless you want to count Heyward or Tuitt). But, in order to use them, you are taking them from the defensive side where they are working to help stop the Texans offense.

Dwinsgames
10-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Physically speaking Mauro is 1 inch taller and 8 pounds lighter than Aaron Smith was .... if he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle I think he can be special ( he is a tactician already ) just needs some additional strength to be dominant ( not saying he is weak cause he is not just needs more to consistently handle a double team )

Been a fan and mocked him several times to Steelers as early as round 4 ( he has the skill set ) him going undrafted for me was one of the bigger surprises of the draft ...

TMC
10-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Physically speaking Mauro is 1 inch taller and 8 pounds lighter than Aaron Smith was .... if he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle I think he can be special ( he is a tactician already ) just needs some additional strength to be dominant ( not saying he is weak cause he is not just needs more to consistently handle a double team )

Been a fan and mocked him several times to Steelers as early as round 4 ( he has the skill set ) him going undrafted for me was one of the bigger surprises of the draft ...

The problem is, Aaron Smith was light for a 3-4 DE. He was 279. He ended up putting on 15-20 pounds to play DE for the Steelers. Aaron Smith was listed, by the Steelers, at 298. So, Mauro really needs to get over 290, meaning he has to add roughly 20 pounds just to get to a truly serviceable size with closer to 30 pounds being better. If you are talking about 30 pounds of muscle, for an athlete, that will likely take him well over a year to do if he does not train it off.

Mauro also only has 33" arms. IIRC, Aaron Smith's arm length was a little over 35". Smith benched 225-19 times. Mauro did it 21 at the combine and 29 at his pro day. A little stronger than Aaron, but arm length comes into play. Mauro might be a technician, but Aaron Smith was as good in that area as it gets.

To me, Mauro has a long way to go to even draw early comparisons to Aaron Smith. The size and arm length come into play really early. He won't grown longer arms and it is going to take time to add the needed mass. Then, he has to show the mental aspects that Aaron had, which were pretty damn elite. That is a big hill to climb, AS did it, few do.