PDA

View Full Version : Sixth Round: Steelers select ILB Jordan Zumwalt and NT Daniel McCullers

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Jordan Zumwalt.

He's a thumper, he's going to shore up our LB corps. I didn't think this pick was strictly necessary but I really like it. He's going to contribute on Special Teams immediately, and he's going to backup at ILB. We're looking at, basically, Timmons and Shazier starting, with Williams and Zumwalt backing up... this will spare us from carrying any scrubs on the roster. Moats is going to backup (and play situationally) at OLB and this pretty much closes the door on Harrison coming back. As for Spence, I think this confirms my suspicion that if he still has the tools to make the team, he's a safety conversion project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHGyBm7-ssQ

Watch the way he just up and smacks people. Shades of Lambert... It's a great football name too.

Daniel McCullers.

This pick is sweet sweet relief to those of us who were pining for Nix. With some refinement and development he could be even better than Nix, and it looks like he's going to have that time to develop with Cam Thomas and McLendon in town. And here's the rub: McCullers is a "true NT" - he's a big big man and once he's ready to take the reigns, is going to cause some serious disruption... we are fixing to have a seriously nasty front seven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWMK8alINdM

Potential third rounder that we just STOLE at the end of the sixth.

steelreserve
05-10-2014, 08:41 PM
The McCullers pick makes me happy, although guardedly so. Good to have a guy with the physical frame to handle the NT position, although we've had those before with these low-round picks and been disappointed. Not counting on him to make an impact this year, but could be sweet if the coin comes up heads. In the meantime, I hope Cam Thomas finds his muse, or the DEs help make him better, otherwise it's shaping up to be a tough year for that spot.

st33lersguy
05-10-2014, 09:59 PM
If McCullers gets developed, centers will be crapping themselves

Texasteel
05-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Just got home from work, and saw the 6th round. I admit I was very surprised we got both these kids in the 6th round. Now if they can turn this potential into an NFL player.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Just got home from work, and saw the 6th round. I admit I was very surprised we got both these kids in the 6th round. Now if they can turn this potential into an NFL player.

both had late 3rd to late 4th round grades from me

st33lersguy
05-10-2014, 10:47 PM
If John Mitchell can develop McCullers into at least a solid NFL player, our defense will be so much more tougher to score on. If he learns to bat down passes, passing over the middle will be so much more difficult for opposing offenses

Steelman
05-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Good sixth round for us. Was a little surprised at Zumwalt, but a good value there. Was happy to see McCullers make it into the fold as well. He could be a monster down the road.

Moose
05-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Damn, Lambert is my man.....I love the way Zumwalt hits and pounds ! An exciting player to watch.

tube517
05-11-2014, 07:42 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34.0-12/10361130_10202633517856287_1747152229_n.jpg?oh=aa1 993d75e9c6f657d0940d8e8c07a4f&oe=5371CFD6

stillers4me
05-11-2014, 09:36 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t34.0-12/10361130_10202633517856287_1747152229_n.jpg?oh=aa1 993d75e9c6f657d0940d8e8c07a4f&oe=5371CFD6

Holy crap!!! Now I know why the call him "ShadeTree". Makes Big Snack look like a Little Debbie.

MULLDOG24
05-11-2014, 10:05 AM
McCullers is a guy that I really was hoping for in about 3rd-4th rd but I am excited to get him in the 6th!! If he responds to coaching the sky is the limit for this giant. I actually think he may do well at 3-4 end as well with his height and arm length.

HollywoodSteel
05-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Holy crap!!! Now I know why the call him "ShadeTree". Makes Big Snack look like a Little Debbie.

I just hope he doesn't fall on Archer during practice. Some people already think Archer is less than a complete, three-dimensional back, but if he gets flattened by this monster he will literally be two-dimensional.

st33lersguy
05-12-2014, 05:58 PM
I just hope he doesn't fall on Archer during practice. Some people already think Archer is less than a complete, three-dimensional back, but if he gets flattened by this monster he will literally be two-dimensional.

Yeah, McCullers stomach is bigger than Archer

ALLD
05-12-2014, 06:51 PM
I knew I recognized McCullers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lR3YDzKCA

86WARD
05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
LMAO

lilyoder6
05-12-2014, 08:35 PM
mcCullers is actually going to be used as a fb on the 1 or 2 yrd line

Steelerette
05-12-2014, 08:43 PM
mcCullers is actually going to be used as a fb on the 1 or 2 yrd line
No way, having to run around him adds like 6 yards to the try.

Dwinsgames
05-12-2014, 08:51 PM
No way, having to run around him adds like 6 yards to the try.

not if the RB is Dri , he will just hide in his sock

tube517
05-13-2014, 07:36 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10257959_10152222258291263_8883683834327952273_n.j pg :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
05-13-2014, 07:41 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10257959_10152222258291263_8883683834327952273_n.j pg :chuckle:

love it ... gonna tweet that bad boy lol

Texasteel
05-13-2014, 08:40 PM
not if the RB is Dri , he will just hide in his sock

Maybe we could line him up in the backfield with Dri and run the old hide the running back in your jersey play.

tube517
05-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Maybe we could line him up in the backfield with Dri and run the old hide the running back in your jersey play.

Not the jersey but.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnOMRKKjsI

ALLD
05-14-2014, 07:11 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2541408/godzilla-drop-kick-o.gif

Psycho Ward 86
05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
are McCullers arms really long in proportion to his height? so excited about the potential, but still concerned about his pad level, which is hard to keep down for obvious reasons. this kind of height on an NT just seems unprecedented

Steelerette
05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Technique may be 9/10 of the law... but the other 1/10 is Dan McCullers.

HollywoodSteel
05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Technique may be 9/10 of the law... but the other 1/10 is Dan McCullers.

And so it begins. I don't mind McCullers picking up the mantel from Aaron Smith as our new Chuck Norris… as long as he can come close to making an Aaron Smith-like impact on our D-line.

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
This is me being a buzzkill. Sorry, guys.

Zumwalt is physical and violent but slow. Exposed in open field and running sideline-to-sideline. Chance to make a name on special teams but that's where he maxes out for me.

McCullers is freakin' huge but concerns over his leverage and first step. Slow off the ball. Going to get outleveraged and pushed around. Too tall for a NT, too slow to play end. More bark than bite with this pick.

Steelerette
05-14-2014, 03:41 PM
If these guys were elite talents they would have been first or second rounders.

Zumwalt will contribute immediately on special teams and has very nice potential on the strong side. If he's so terribly slow and exposed in space, what would make you think he's a good special teams player? I've seen the kid play a little... he may or may not turn out well for us but at this juncture you're not giving him enough credit.

McCullers, if he keeps his head on even halfway straight, we will find a use for him. The notion that you need very narrow-range specific measurables to be any good at a specific position, is what lets guys like this fall and lets teams like the Steelers give it a shot. Two of the best ILB in the business -- Lambert and Farrior - were tiny-ass dudes who the Steelers had no business putting on the inside of the defense... by the way that Lambert kid was pretty slow too.

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
If these guys were elite talents they would have been first or second rounders.

Zumwalt will contribute immediately on special teams and has very nice potential on the strong side. If he's so terribly slow and exposed in space, what would make you think he's a good special teams player? I've seen the kid play a little... he may or may not turn out well for us but at this juncture you're not giving him enough credit.

McCullers, if he keeps his head on even halfway straight, we will find a use for him. The notion that you need very narrow-range specific measurables to be any good at a specific position, is what lets guys like this fall and lets teams like the Steelers give it a shot. Two of the best ILB in the business -- Lambert and Farrior - were tiny-ass dudes who the Steelers had no business putting on the inside of the defense... by the way that Lambert kid was pretty slow too.

Obviously, I'm not trying to compare them to first round talents, but just because I realize that, doesn't mean that I have to fall in love with the prospect like everyone else? There are bad 1st round picks and they are bad 6th round picks.

Zumwalt is aggressive and will knock your head off. That mentality serves a player well on special teams. You don't have to be the fastest dude to play special teams. Heck, we trotted our Brian Arnfelt at one point. David Paulson played special teams. You have to be tough, you have to be a good tackler (Zumwalt is) and the experience helps, too. Zumwalt played at least on kick returns in 2013 from what I saw.

It's not that he has to be a certain height/weight. I'm just saying it's awfully tough to be that tall and that slow off the ball to succeed. It's watching the tape. I did a report on McCullers far before the Steelers' drafted him and walked away the feeling I have. Just because the Steelers' drafted him doesn't change my view.

Eight of the last 13 day three draft picks have provided either zero contribution or never gave fans any sort of hope or confidence. Go see what fans said about Justin Brown last year. Compare that to now....some probably forget he exists.

Most of these day three picks are going to suck and aren't going to help the team. History shows you that. You just hope one or two of them pan out (I really like the Blanchflower selection). Not all these late round guys can be diamonds in the rough. That's just the truth.

Dwinsgames
05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
quickly a few things ......

while I respect Chidis opinion and friendship , I do not agree fully with him ....

McCullers is / was everything he claimed at Tennessee not going to deny that , however there is some instances where he was triple manned and still not moved from his spot , so while slow first step may be a problem he can still anchor just fine ... Senior Bowl week the light came on for him , seemed much more mobile , much quicker and just as stout as ever .... if we got the player that was at the senior bowl we got a dam fine one ... if we got the player he was at Tennessee he is a work in progress but I hold out hope because he can hold the line and that is the toughest part of playing the nose

Zumwalt I think has a legit shot at making the team , he is Vince Williams 2.0 BUT has ST ability

Mauro I would have drafted in the 5th round and never batted an eye at the pick , would have taken him in the 4th if we had not already addressed DE with Tuitt in the second ..I think Mauro has some Aaron Smith traits as a technician wit ha little Keisel sprinkled in .... Could be a player in this league for 10 years IMO

Howard Jones .... This kid could surprise some people , has a nose for QBs , very good rusher with very good speed and a quick first step ... he is a bit light and will need to get stronger he will go as far as hard work will take him but probably a PS player this year while he works the weights to improve his core strength ....

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 07:47 PM
quickly a few things ......

while I respect Chidis opinion and friendship , I do not agree fully with him ....

McCullers is / was everything he claimed at Tennessee not going to deny that , however there is some instances where he was triple manned and still not moved from his spot , so while slow first step may be a problem he can still anchor just fine ... Senior Bowl week the light came on for him , seemed much more mobile , much quicker and just as stout as ever .... if we got the player that was at the senior bowl we got a dam fine one ... if we got the player he was at Tennessee he is a work in progress but I hold out hope because he can hold the line and that is the toughest part of playing the nose

Zumwalt I think has a legit shot at making the team , he is Vince Williams 2.0 BUT has ST ability

Mauro I would have drafted in the 5th round and never batted an eye at the pick , would have taken him in the 4th if we had not already addressed DE with Tuitt in the second ..I think Mauro has some Aaron Smith traits as a technician wit ha little Keisel sprinkled in .... Could be a player in this league for 10 years IMO

Howard Jones .... This kid could surprise some people , has a nose for QBs , very good rusher with very good speed and a quick first step ... he is a bit light and will need to get stronger he will go as far as hard work will take him but probably a PS player this year while he works the weights to improve his core strength ....

There's no question McCullers is country strong...I don't think anyone is doubting that. What I am doubting is a guy who is slow and struggles to keep his butt down to succeed in the NFL. And I worry about his weight.

I am interested in Jones and I wish I could find some full games from 2013 on him...can only find 2012. Got any ideas Dwins?

Dwinsgames
05-14-2014, 07:58 PM
There's no question McCullers is country strong...I don't think anyone is doubting that. What I am doubting is a guy who is slow and struggles to keep his butt down to succeed in the NFL. And I worry about his weight.

I am interested in Jones and I wish I could find some full games from 2013 on him...can only find 2012. Got any ideas Dwins?

sounds like you are finding the same stuff I have watched several times already lol , will looks some more though

as for McCullers weight , at one point he was over 400 pounds as a High school senior , was 377 his Junior year at Ten. and now 352 , he trimmed down quite a bit and honestly is not nearly as " fat " as many players even when he is 352 and they are 300 .... he fills his jersey about right IMO

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Yeah, his weight isn't my chief concern but it's always a worry with guys that big. Especially when I see a guy at 420 in high school. Being at a military school for two years is a big help though and hopefully instilled discipline.

Dwinsgames
05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/howard-jones-vs-nflpa-game-2013/

Chidi29
05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Thanks!

Shoes
05-14-2014, 08:48 PM
I think he will be breaking a lot of legs this season with those size 18 shoes. :chuckle: Thanks for the link Dwins.

Steeldude
05-15-2014, 02:05 AM
The knock on Howard Jones, from what I have read, is he isn't very bright. He can't handle multiple instructions.

Texasteel
05-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Don't know how well he follows instructions, but he has followed the instruction, go get the QB 35 times.

Mojouw
05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
The knock on Howard Jones, from what I have read, is he isn't very bright. He can't handle multiple instructions.

In that case, the Steelers should look in to converting him to an offensive lineman. He would fit right in with that bunch of scholars.