PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Select WR Martavis Bryant With Their 4th-Round Pick

86WARD
05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
LOVE this pick!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/3ysa2asy.jpg

Edman
05-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpU9ZUCzwqg

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 12:09 PM
YES!

Not only does he have the SIZE that a lot of folks here were looking for... but he's downright SWIFT. You have to love how fast we're getting on offense, big WRs and all!

oneforthetoe
05-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Like the pick, but what are his off field issues that ESPN mentioned? At this point not, not sure that matters as much as it used to.

86WARD
05-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Can a mod fix the title? Auto correct got me on the first name...thanks.

Shoes
05-10-2014, 12:11 PM
He's had one good year with maturity issues….I'll wait and see on this one.

st33lersguy
05-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I was hoping for Desir and I am concerned about his lack of production, but they needed more receivers and it's the 4th round so too raw is more understandable

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 12:17 PM
From the "Huddle Report" (behind a paywall so I can't link directly):

Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

STRENGTHS
Martavis is a tall, long-legged receiver with terrific speed who catches the ball with his hands out in front of his body. He has excellent run after the catch skills and the athletic ability to adjust to the ball in the air. He is clutch at catching the deep ball down the field with a player hanging all over him. Martavis is smart when running after the catch, using a stiff arm to keep players away from his legs to gain the needed yardage and move the chains on third downs. He has the athletic talent along with the deep speed and lateral agility to run routes with the fluidity that the top receivers must possess to be successful at the next level. He has the hands to snatch the ball out of the air at its highest point and the strength in his hands to secure the ball when others will lose control. Martavis has the potential to be a franchise number one wide receiver for the team that drafts him.

Mods - if this violates posting rules, my apologies and feel free to remove.

Iron Steeler
05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Love this pick . Reminds me of Alshon Jeffery

stillers4me
05-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Like the pick, but what are his off field issues that ESPN mentioned? At this point not, not sure that matters as much as it used to.

He had academic issues and was suspended for making a throat slashing gesture on the field.

salamander
05-10-2014, 12:20 PM
I like it.

vader29
05-10-2014, 12:21 PM

oneforthetoe
05-10-2014, 12:24 PM
He had academic issues and was suspended for making a throat slashing gesture on the field.

Thanks. Not that bad I guess. We can always trade him to the Jets in 4 years.

steelerdude15
05-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I like the pick as well. I think we got good value with this pick and taking him in the fourth round. He is 6'4", can jump and fight for the ball, and has speed. I could see him being our number two.

stillers4me
05-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks. Not that bad I guess. We can always trade him to the Jets in 4 years.

:lol:

st33lersguy
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
First player selected from a college outside the midwest after going Ohio, Indiana, Ohio.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 12:30 PM
The thing that separates him from the very top tier WRs is not his game but rather a couple questions about his smarts, and his "relative" less amount of experience.

This is a phenomenal value and as long as he doesn't go the Stonio route... this pick is going to pay many, many dividends. LOVE it.

KeiselPower99
05-10-2014, 12:41 PM
He came out early and a lot of people think he could have been a first rounder next year. I like this a lot. Size and speed that we need at receiver.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2014, 12:44 PM

based on The Talking horses tweets I want full credit for him as the comp pick in the contest LOL

X-Terminator
05-10-2014, 12:56 PM
So they ended up getting the guy that a lot of people wanted them to take instead of Archer. I've been on the fence about tall WR, because height doesn't necessarily mean you will be successful, and plenty of "undersized" guys have made it big. So we'll see what he can do.

Looks like there will be no CB in this draft, at least not one who won't be a project. Still think they are making a major mistake in that regard.

Psycho Ward 86
05-10-2014, 01:19 PM
So they ended up getting the guy that a lot of people wanted them to take instead of Archer. I've been on the fence about tall WR, because height doesn't necessarily mean you will be successful, and plenty of "undersized" guys have made it big. So we'll see what he can do.

size isnt the "start all, end all" statistic of wide receivers, but it most certainly has an influence on the chances of a receiver becoming good: 12 of the top 15 TD reception leaders in the NFL last season were 6'3'' or taller, and 11 of the top 15 were 214lb or heavier.

12 of the top 15 receiving yard leaders in the NFL last season were also 6'3'' or taller, and 12 of the top 15 were 214lb or heavier. Only 2 were under 207lb. (desean jackson and our very own antonio brown)

we dont need another smurf on this team. Like seriously, at some point, a team is better off diversifying their offensive weapons instead of having a herd of pygmy pass catchers. A huge receiver that maximizes their catching radius simply gets balls that a small receiver that maximizes their catching radius will never be able to get. Especially in the redzone. Thats what we need, and hopefully what we have in Bryant.

Personally though, I actully dont like this pick lol. ive been such a grumpy gus during the draft but kelvin benjamin, allen robinson, and martavis bryant were probably the 3 most overrated "big" receivers that i didnt want at all, unless they slid a lot. bryant has such typical "enticing big receiver" issues....poor route runner and shit hands. I am intrigued by the catch radius, combatative ball skills, and speed though.

ill give the kid a chance, not a fan though

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 01:22 PM
To be fair he did slide quite a lot. Potential second rounder... if he came out next year maybe a first.

X-Terminator
05-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Personally though, I actully dont like this pick lol. ive been such a grumpy gus during the draft but kelvin benjamin, allen robinson, and martavis bryant were probably the 3 most overrated "big" receivers that i didnt want at all, unless they slid a lot. bryant has such typical "enticing big receiver" issues....poor route runner and shit hands. I am intrigued by the catch radius, combatative ball skills, and speed though.

The bold/italic part is why I'm not jumping up and down over the pick. A lot of times, these tall WR come with those issues. For every Fitz or Megatron, there are about a dozen Limas Sweeds. So like you, I will reserve judgment until I see what he can actually do on the field.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Some of yall wouldn't have been impressed if Kyle Fuller fell to us in the sixth. Buncha grouchypants :lol:

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 02:23 PM

I have read several reports that indicate he actually has really good hands, just issues with concentration. Basically that he demonstrates an ability to consistently secure difficult and contested catches but drops the easy ones.

For me that is a between the ears problem rather than a "hands" problem. Not sure if either is fixable, but maybe the mental can be worked on.

tube517
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/19846-Steelers-Select-WR-Martavis-Bryant-With-Their-4th-Round-Pick

Steelman
05-11-2014, 12:25 AM
I have read several reports that indicate he actually has really good hands, just issues with concentration. Basically that he demonstrates an ability to consistently secure difficult and contested catches but drops the easy ones.

For me that is a between the ears problem rather than a "hands" problem. Not sure if either is fixable, but maybe the mental can be worked on.

Boy does that remind me of Limas...

But I do think he's got what we needed, I seriously he pans out. He seemed very excited to play for Pittsburgh in particular.

Psycho Ward 86
05-11-2014, 01:36 AM

thats just a given. makes no difference to me. everyone has bad hands, good hands, or something in between for the same reasons. mayock calls him a possible 1st round talent and thought it likely he could go in the 2nd, so the pick is warming up to me. going to watch his film again

ALLD
05-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Instead of winding up and throwing bombs, they need to start some of these young ? guys with short dump offs and slants. Get them used to getting the ball and not thinking so much. Same thing as in baseball when you are swinging ahead of the ball while trying to hit.

Mojouw
05-11-2014, 08:10 AM
thats just a given. makes no difference to me. everyone has bad hands, good hands, or something in between for the same reasons. mayock calls him a possible 1st round talent and thought it likely he could go in the 2nd, so the pick is warming up to me. going to watch his film again

Not necessarily. Dwight Stone just couldn't catch. Neither can Ike Taylor. DHB has bad hands. It sounds like Bryant has a tendency to drop the ball because he loses focus and tries to run and be exciting before he secures the "easy" catch. That sounds fixable. Having two cinder blocks for hands isn't. Doesn't seem like the case here.

TMC
05-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Might as well start at the beginning. Bryant fathered a child while still in high school, his daughter Brooke. He graduated from TL Hanna, but was a transfer in from a charter school. Hanna accepted all his credits and he graduated on time. While reviewing his transcripts, the NCAA questioned a math class that transferred from the charter school. It had closed, so they disallowed the credit. He was ineligible by a half credit and had to attend Hargrave Military. After a year there, he came to Clemson and fell in behind Sammy Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins. He was not a guy that took it seriously. He would skip study halls, grades were not where they wanted them to be, coaches did not see the drive and motivation they wanted. He ended up being suspended from the bowl game (end of 2012 season) due to academic reasons. In addition, he fathered a second child by another woman (who I believe is the sister of a teammate, not sure). All this happened prior to this season and he missed the bowl game ending 2012.

I think that is where things changed. He lives with his mom. Him being suspended hit her hard. In fact, Martavis said this....“It was hard, because I had to see my mom crying about it. I can’t accept going through that again.”

Then, she got on him. Do you want to be at Clemson? Do you want to take care of your kids? Do you want to grow up and be a man? Talk is, he changed. Here are statements from those around him since that suspension:

“Y’all know he’s been a guy that has been in the doghouse a lot,” Swinney says. “But since January ‑ and I was the biggest skeptic of all ‑ I’m a believer, because he’s been completely consistent in everything.”

“The one thing I love about Martavis: he hasn’t quit. He’s been able to make atonement and apologize and address his shortcomings.”-Clemson director of player relations Jeff Davis

“Tay has matured a lot to me. He’s become more focused on his business, trying to get to that NFL career, or make anything of himself, so he can provide for his kids. I see that every day.”-Bryant's roommate and junior defensive end Corey Crawford.

Word is, he was getting up earlier, showing up to everything on time, working his tail off, and just doing everything completely different. He also keeps photos of his kids in his locker and other various spots to remind him of why he is working so hard.

The question is you have to ask, has he turned the corner or was this to get paid? If he truly turned the corner and is working like that to provide for his kids, you may have a guy that really explodes in the next couple seasons. The talent is there.

As for his drops, had a lot early when he would turn to run, seemed to get that cleaned up as the season wore on. Coach Mann stated if he was going to be in his room, he would have to work like he does and said he told him that in their visit. He also stated that he thought the drops were due to concentration and he needed to learn some little tricks of the trade that would help him. Called him raw.

The thing is, sitting behind Hopkins and Watkins for the first three years and not approaching the game with a great work ethic, it is understandable to see how he has not developed more.

LLT
05-11-2014, 02:35 PM

What I saw on tape wasnt a "catching" problem. In fact I thought he seemed incredibly acrobatic at times and did a very...very good job of tracking the ball. It seems to me that he had a "tucking" problem.

Not so much lately but earlier on, he would catch the ball and not get it secured. That allowed defenders to swat or grab at the football right after he grabbed it...often knocking it loose.

Mojouw
05-13-2014, 03:13 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/steelers-film-room-martavis-bryant-2013-dropped-passes/

Here are what one analyst considers Bryants 11 drops from last season. He classes another 12 targeted passes (23 total I believe) that were incompletions as not Bryant's fault - or at least not a drop.

There are a couple that make you think of Sweed a bit too much, but there are several that are the result of poor throws by the QB (Boyd I believe?).

NCSteeler
05-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Could be another Nte Washington and catch all the super hard ones and drop anything that even looks easy. CONCENTRATION. He can be coached

zulater
05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
The upside of this pick is tremendous

SteelMember
05-13-2014, 06:26 PM
My boss, a Clemson alum, said "this guys gonna break your heart". Basically reiterating he makes some great catches, but drops some gimmies. Not exactly reassuring.

JayC
05-14-2014, 08:24 PM
this guy is gonna be our steal. book it now

TheRuneMeister
05-15-2014, 01:02 AM
From what little I have seen he looks like a 'body-catcher'. Usually, when you try to fix that this late, it adds a mental layer to the process of the catch that can cause issue with what is perceived as concentration.
He could be a huge steal, but I am a little worried about coaches trying to hard to change certain technical aspects of his game.

Steelerette
05-15-2014, 07:27 AM
From what little I have seen he looks like a 'body-catcher'. Usually, when you try to fix that this late, it adds a mental layer to the process of the catch that can cause issue with what is perceived as concentration.
He could be a huge steal, but I am a little worried about coaches trying to hard to change certain technical aspects of his game.
While Bryant's technique isn't perfect (hence, 4th round), body catching is not one of his problems. It's route running and a bit of concentration. He actually does a very good job catching the ball away from his body.

Dwinsgames
05-15-2014, 08:55 AM
forget every piece of film you watched on Bryant prior to 2013 because he was not the same player ...

this kid is improving game by game , the light came on in 2013 and he steadily improved ....

big stage , big time opponent in Orange Bowl and he played well ...

showed to be a willing blocker who needs better technique , ( teachable )

showed good concentration ....

showed he is a Hands guy who when he does not pluck it out of the air he drags the ball into his body to secure it ( that is not a body catcher to me ) a body catcher waits till the ball hits his body then wraps it up ..

he is not a finished product ( not many are in the draft regardless of round ) and I am always wary of guys who are " finished products " because that term to me says they are as good as they ever will be ...

Bryant is a player on the rise , and will make impact in the red zone even as a rookie ....trust the tape

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/martavis-bryant-vs-ohio-state-2013/

see LLT post above ....

Texasteel
05-15-2014, 09:01 AM

The only real time I have seen this is when he is catching a throw over his shoulder. In that case he does seem to try to coral the ball back into his body instead of snatch it out of the air. On many other throws he has shown very good hands. He may loose a little concentration at times, but I didn't see it to be a huge problem. Haven't look to see how many drops he has had, but the times I watched him he didn't drop a bunch I thought he should have caught.

SteelMember
05-15-2014, 09:15 AM
He may live up to his potential. I will always hope for the best, but I get a Fred Gibson feeling from Bryant. We will see.

Psycho Ward 86
05-15-2014, 10:32 AM
The only real time I have seen this is when he is catching a throw over his shoulder. In that case he does seem to try to coral the ball back into his body instead of snatch it out of the air. On many other throws he has shown very good hands. He may loose a little concentration at times, but I didn't see it to be a huge problem. Haven't look to see how many drops he has had, but the times I watched him he didn't drop a bunch I thought he should have caught.

Yup, and thats a catch a big receiver needs to be able to make to really take advantage of their catch radius. A back shoulder throw to a big fella can be indefensible at times. We havent had that luxury in a long time

Texasteel
05-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Yup, and thats a catch a big receiver needs to be able to make to really take advantage of their catch radius. A back shoulder throw to a big fella can be indefensible at times. We havent had that luxury in a long time

If I noticed it, I'm sure the coaches have as well. I think that is something that can be worked on and improved on. If it will be we will have to just wait and see. Now this is not something I saw on every play, and I didn't watch every play of every game, but I did notice it.

86WARD
05-15-2014, 07:54 PM
He may live up to his potential. I will always hope for the best, but I get a Fred Gibson feeling from Bryant. We will see.

Fred Gibson? How dare you stick it to this kid like that...

stillers4me
05-17-2014, 02:19 PM
He is indeed...tall. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/vu3y2ata.jpg

Steelerette
05-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Excited to see the kid in football action.

I'm not old enough to really know the 70s glory years. The three Steelers WRs in my day that I've really really loved have been Lipps, Thigpen, and Ward. Here's hoping this crop of youngsters is able to yield the next one!