PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we won't take a CB

Shoes
05-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Still waiting: Who would have guessed this? Two days and three rounds into the draft, the Steelers have yet to take a cornerback or a wide receiver. They have addressed inside linebacker, defensive end and running back, with only the middle position qualifying as one of serious need. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he is not worried about the Steelers' depth at cornerback. "I feel good about the cornerbacks that we have, and we have more numbers there than people realize," LeBeau said. "We may have great players in the building; they just haven’t had the chance to show us they are greater."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6422/steelers-pick-dri-archer-in-3rd

salamander
05-09-2014, 11:58 PM
In my opinion, Tomlin and Colbert are proving that they suck at drafting together.

katmandu
05-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he is not worried about the Steelers' depth at cornerback. "I feel good about the cornerbacks that we have, and we have more numbers there than people realize," LeBeau said. "We may have great players in the building; they just haven’t had the chance to show us they are greater."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6422/steelers-pick-dri-archer-in-3rdIt's Official...... Dick LeBeau has gone senile !

Seriously though. You have GOT to have faith that Coach Lake and Rod Woodson have a lot of pull in this situation!

God PLEASE say they do !!

I really do have faith in these gentleman! They are undoubtedly the best in the business!

Aussie_steeler
05-10-2014, 01:19 AM
They will still take 2 CB's

One in the 4th ( roster spot) and one in the 6th ( practice squad spot)

4th Round candidates:

Keith McGill
Jaylen Watkins
Pierre Desir
Ross Cockrell
EJ Gaines

Round 5
Dontae Johnson
Brandon Dixon
Aaron Colvin

Round 6 / 6 comp
Walt Aikens
Shaquille Richardson

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 09:07 AM
IF they are going to take a developmental guy, my vote would be to roll the dice on Colvin. If he regains his pre-injury form/potential after a year on the PS it would be a real steal.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Well heck, if they kind of figured, let's get a CB but he's not going to start this season...

Then why *wouldn't* they target Colvin?

Shoes
05-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Why not Antone Exum?

Heinz Hitman
05-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Why not Antone Exum?

I was hoping for Antone Exum in the 5th..

But instead they took Shaquille Richardson. At least we did get a CB. I have to say, I don't really know too much about him though.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Well. Shaq has a ton of physical tools. But his game needs a bit of coaching up. He was targeted by Carnell Lake. High ceiling but risky bust potential too. Tremendous athlete but... well, it's a satisfactory pick but Exum would have been better.

Mojouw
05-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Well. Shaq has a ton of physical tools. But his game needs a bit of coaching up. He was targeted by Carnell Lake. High ceiling but risky bust potential too. Tremendous athlete but... well, it's a satisfactory pick but Exum would have been better.

I agree that Exum is way more ready to play now, but I don't think the Steelers are thinking like that. At all. All their picks are a bit raw but are crazy athletic. It seems like they are betting that coaching, a year of seasoning, and NFL strength training can cover over any deficiencies.

Bottom line, Richardson is a ton more athletic than Exum. Raw, but athletic.

Steelerette
05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
I have to agree, Richardson is everything you want, besides ready to play in the NFL. Can he get there? We're going to find out.

Steelman
05-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Shaq might have the measurables, and Lake might be able to coach him up, but next year our #1 need will be cornerback.

zulater
05-11-2014, 06:56 AM
I'm just glad they didn't draft Dennard. Modern day Chad Scott.

Steelerette
05-11-2014, 05:39 PM
For sure I think next year we go in needing CB, OT, and TE... but the nice thing is beyond that we may be able to spend a few luxury picks. We're suddenly otherwise LOADED with young talent. Reserving judgment for now but it looks like we did a phenomenal job this offseason in the overall.

Mojouw
05-11-2014, 06:12 PM

I will always wonder what might have been in Scott doesn't get shot in the knee/leg that one off-season. At least I'm pretty sure that is what happened...

Shoes
05-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Nice to see you Zu!

one side only
05-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I will always wonder what might have been in Scott doesn't get shot in the knee/leg that one off-season. At least I'm pretty sure that is what happened...

Deon Figures was that guy.

Mojouw
05-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Yeah. Okay. Not suprised I got confused. Other than Rod Woodson it is all a haze of roasted CB's throughout the 90's.

Steelerette
05-11-2014, 07:11 PM
I still remember the signs people used to hold up, "Rod is God"

As much as I'm satisfied with our draft, I'm still dismayed that we missed out on Verner. I wonder if their thinking is, "okay look sometimes these corners we draft work out, and sometimes they're Ricardo Colclough... I know... how about we just draft high-ceiling projects to develop, and leave it to free agency to get a proven guy..."

It will be interesting to see who becomes a free agent after the dust from the draft and june 1st decisions settles.

Dwinsgames
05-11-2014, 07:16 PM

was just about to say that lol

Steelerette
05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Remember when we brought McFadden back, and our corner pairing of Ike and McFadden was supposed to be special, but then it wasn't and I mean really wasn't

I'm sure that had to be in the back of their mind as they declined to give in to all the buzz about CB and instead give us a spectacular front 7.

And then consider all the buzz about Mitchell when we signed him. "Oh he was only good because of Carolina's front seven..."

Psycho Ward 86
05-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Remember when we brought McFadden back, and our corner pairing of Ike and McFadden was supposed to be special, but then it wasn't and I mean really wasn't

I'm sure that had to be in the back of their mind as they declined to give in to all the buzz about CB and instead give us a spectacular front 7.

And then consider all the buzz about Mitchell when we signed him. "Oh he was only good because of Carolina's front seven..."

it worked for the panthers, 2nd best defense in the NFL. Maybe we can build our very own version of the "Legion of Whom" here in pittsburgh. Cortez has all the talent in the world and im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was injured last season. William Gay is actually a very good nickel corner, and was the #2/#3 corner on several #1 pass defenses. Shamarko shutdown Marqise Lee when he was probably the best receiver in the nation 2 years ago as a nickel as well. We need a guy to step it up. Terrence Frederick out of nowhere? Ike taylor back in form for one last hurrah?

HollywoodSteel
05-12-2014, 06:09 PM
it worked for the panthers, 2nd best defense in the NFL. Maybe we can build our very own version of the "Legion of Whom" here in pittsburgh. Cortez has all the talent in the world and im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was injured last season. William Gay is actually a very good nickel corner, and was the #2/#3 corner on several #1 pass defenses. Shamarko shutdown Marqise Lee when he was probably the best receiver in the nation 2 years ago as a nickel as well. We need a guy to step it up. Terrence Frederick out of nowhere? Ike taylor back in form for one last hurrah?

Ike scares me because his best attribute has always been his speed. If that is starting to go, I don't really think he has the savvy (and definitely not the hands!) to make up for it.

ALLD
05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Rod Woodson was one of our best players on D, but Mel Blount was our best CB. I saw them both play and he was the best.

Shoes
05-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Undrafted free-agent CB Najja Johnson (http://kffl.com/player/29750/nfl/najja-johnson) (Buffalo) said he will sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers).