PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Select Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt With 2nd-Round Pick

86WARD
05-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Overview

His name is pronounced "stuh-FON TOO-it." Highly recruited out of Georgia. As a true freshman in 2011, played nine games (three starts) and collected 30 tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks with one pass batted. All non-starts were coach's decisions. Moved into a starting defensive end role in '12, tallying 47-13-12 with one pass batted, three forced fumbles and one blocked kick in 13 starts. Returned a fumble 77 yards for a touchdown against Navy. Required offseason surgery to repair a hernia. In '13, he started all 13 games and had 49-9-7.5 with two passes batted, one interception and one forced fumble. Picked off an errant pass in the end zone for a touchdown against Michigan. Pulled out of NFL Scouting Combine drills after a medical scan revealed a Jones fracture in his left foot, necessitating surgery performed March 1 that restricted him from working out at his pro day.

Strengths

Looks the part -- has prototypical dimensions for a five-technique. Long-armed to play off blocks. Holds his ground at the point of attack. Can stack and shed. Has excellent movement skill for a man his size. Plays on his feet. Coordinated and in control of his body. Knee bender able to flatten or redirect efficiently. Strong wrap tackler. Scheme and position versatile -- played end and tackle in even and odd fronts. Notched 20.5 sacks in 28 career starts. Disrupts passing lanes. Did 31 bench-press reps at the combine.

Weaknesses

Monotone edge rusher -- not a quick-twitch athlete (average get-off quickness). Can play with more consistent leverage. Hip and shoulder stiffness shows when he attempts to bend the corner. Can do a better job shooting his hands with authority to jolt blockers. Needs to become a better hands fighter and develop pass-rush moves. Can play with more violence. Average intensity and relentlessness.

Draft Projection

Round 1

Bottom Line

Hulking, long-armed, physically gifted defensive lineman with desirable size, strength, athleticism and versatility to appeal as a five-technique or as a defensive tackle or base end in a 4-3. Gained approximately 20 pounds as a junior and was not in peak condition, but has disruptive upside.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/stephon-tuitt?id=2543483

- - - Updated - - -

I like it a lot.

katmandu
05-09-2014, 07:18 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

Edman
05-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Going all Defense in this draft.

I like it.

st33lersguy
05-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Damn, that is a nice pick!

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Sensational pick. Hell, this team is going to put pressure on QB's with a 3 man rush

Godfather
05-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Going all Defense in this draft.

I like it.

Makes sense. We have some good young talent on the O-line if they can stay healthy. We have a franchise QB. LeVeon Bell is a very good running back. We have Heath, Antonio, and Lance Moore for targets.

But we need a LOT of help on the other side of the ball. Still have to address DT, CB, and S.

Steelerette
Happy! While it was tough for me to pass on Nix :P

I cannot deny. "Old and slow WHO?!"

fansince'76
Sensational pick. Hell, this team is going to put pressure on QB's with a 3 man rush

That would be nice. :applaudit:

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Between Shazier and Tuitt... we just extended Troy's career. Hell, Ike might even be serviceable this year :P

GBMelBlount
05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Sounds like we got a round tuitt.

Good draft so far.

Shoes
05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm very pleased with this draft so far! I have a feeling the cheats are going to pick up Niklas or CJ

JayC
05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
really like this pick!

st33lersguy
05-09-2014, 07:34 PM
With Tuitt and Shazier potentially helping out the pass rush, all of a sudden, I think corner is becoming less of a need. Frankly, improving the pass rush can be the equivalent of adding a corner. What do you all think?

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 07:36 PM
again, love the pick, but i have a feeling we wont be able to get Ben a big weapon anymore until round 4 at best

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 07:38 PM
That's okay. Once Woodley's money clears and we start making cuts to compensate for draft picks... we have the space to make one big splash, or two little splashes, in Free Agency. If we get Worilds extended, even better.

Jaucer
05-09-2014, 07:40 PM
We still need a CB. This will be Ike's last year and we need someone who can learn from him this year and take over as a starter next year. We can't rely on drafting one next year and expecting him to start as a rookie. I also still see WR as a need. Depending on who is available I don't care which order they are taken as long as CB & WR are the next two picks.

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 07:42 PM
https://twitter.com/rayfitt1/status/464928083049316352

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devilsdancefloor
05-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Sounds like we got a round tuitt.

Good draft so far.
http://i60.tinypic.com/inzrrt.png

i like it fat man to keep shazier and timmons clean, but he might be fighting the weight, so is he gonna be big snack version 2.0?

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 07:48 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/inzrrt.png

i like it fat man to keep shazier and timmons clean, but he might be fighting the weight, so is he gonna be big snack version 2.0?

uh no not at all. That happened when he was recovering from hernia surgery...for some reason no one wants to point that out

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 07:49 PM
42 more picks between them and us:

Walt Aikens
Keith McGill
Stanley Jean-Baptiste
Pierre DeSir
Phillip Gaines
Deion Belue
Bashaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jaylen Watkins
Marcus Roberson

So unless the draft is 25% cornerbacks (unlikely) we do have a shot at a guy with our comp who should develop nicely.

86WARD
05-09-2014, 07:52 PM
You're my boy Belue!!

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 07:56 PM
if we want a TE/WR next round, were going to need some good players to slide. 3 of the top 5 tight ends are gone. Packers picked up davante adams, and the browns continue to ignore WR even though that has reached breaking point as far as desperation goes especially now since josh gordon is suspended for the season and johnny manziel is expected to change their fortunes. No way do they pick anything but wide receiver next round. If Latimer/Fiedorowicz/Moncrief are all gone by our end-of-the-3rd-round pick, id rather just go CB

- - - Updated - - -

42 more picks between them and us:

Walt Aikens
Keith McGill
Stanley Jean-Baptiste
Pierre DeSir
Phillip Gaines
Deion Belue
Bashaud Breeland
Dontae Johnson
Jaylen Watkins
Marcus Roberson

So unless the draft is 25% cornerbacks (unlikely) we do have a shot at a guy with our comp who should develop nicely.

Give me Baptiste, Phillip Gaines, EJ Gaines, or McGill in that order

- - - Updated - - -

aaaaaand there goes latimer to the broncos. looks like those fuckers still think they can win it all with 500 receivers

Bluecoat96
That's okay. Once Woodley's money clears and we start making cuts to compensate for draft picks... we have the space to make one big splash, or two little splashes, in Free Agency. If we get Worilds extended, even better.

and don't forget the inevitable extension of Big Ben's contract, which should happen at some point soon.

Jaucer
Latimer gone.

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 08:11 PM
NOOO fuck you Saints.

- - - Updated - - -

http://cover32.com/steelers/2014/05/09/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-stephon-tuitt/

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Love the Tuitt pick , wanted him or Critchton had Tuitt at 46 in our mock contest

- - - Updated - - -

Ealy finally goes off board what a steal

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Tuitt and Heyward is going to be very serious for years to come. If you look at our future front seven... six of seven is MONEY.

Figure out a disruptive nose tackle and I would NEVER want to play the steelers, even if their CB starters were Willie Gay and Antwon Blake.

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Tuitt and Heyward is going to be very serious for years to come. If you look at our future front seven... six of seven is MONEY.

Figure out a disruptive nose tackle and I would NEVER want to play the steelers, even if their CB starters were Willie Gay and Antwon Blake.

Daniel McCullers , Jelly Bean Ellis probably in play in 4th

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 08:23 PM
What I'm worried about is, as much as I'd love one of those two in the 4th, can we afford to spend the pick. NOw that we've addressed the front 7 twice, we really do have to think about CB, and a receiving game weapon. As much as I do want a NT... With a real set of DEs and a real ILB push... McLendon or Thomas or Fangupo, will be "good enough". Draft the CB next unless there's a run and there's absolutely nobody you like.

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Ellis might be around in round 5 , could roll the dice ?

Steeltreal
05-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Between Shazier and Tuitt... we just extended Troy's career. Hell, Ike might even be serviceable this year :P
I dont buy it, Chances are neither player starts this year and God tells Troy to retire after the season.

Aussie_steeler
05-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Good solid pick. Good job of retooling the defence for the future.

My draft radar is so off this year. I am going to sit back and be an observer from the bleachers.

About as bold as I can be is........

" I think they might draft a corner in the next 6 picks........fingers crossed"

katmandu
05-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Figure out a disruptive nose tackle and I would NEVER want to play the steelers, even if their CB starters were Willie Gay and Antwon Blake.Come here LITTLE Johnny Football !! Come Here! We got something for you !!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!! LMAO !

KeiselPower99
05-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Love the pick!! Tuitt is going to be a beast next to Heyward!

LLT
05-10-2014, 08:48 AM
I have loved this guy from early on. Versatile...athletic...and will be rotated early on.

Shoes
05-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I noticed the looked lighter and much faster in the 2012 season. Did he put on weight in 2013?

lilyoder6
05-12-2014, 08:34 PM
I noticed the looked lighter and much faster in the 2012 season. Did he put on weight in 2013?

he did.. I believe he had double sports hernia surgery or some type of surgery that made him not able to workout during the offseason

Psycho Ward 86
05-12-2014, 10:48 PM
weight = zero concern on this kid. Anyone would gain weight on a double hernia. it bothered me so much the past couple months that it was seen as a red flag on so many scouting reports. glad it dropped him to us though

Mojouw
05-13-2014, 08:22 AM
weight = zero concern on this kid. Anyone would gain weight on a double hernia. it bothered me so much the past couple months that it was seen as a red flag on so many scouting reports. glad it dropped him to us though

Nice to hear that. It was the only knock on him in alot of the lead-up to the draft. Too many reports left the impression that he should/could have lost the weight but didn't work hard enough. Seems that is simply not true or an uniformed opinion.