PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Pick is Ryan Shazier LB OSU !

katmandu
05-08-2014, 08:48 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ryan-shazier?id=2543486 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ryan-shazier?id=2543486)

- - - Updated - - -

Will he be used at ILB ?

Iron Steeler
05-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Sighhhh so many fricken lbs

KeiselPower99
Did not see this one coming.

Iron Steeler
Hate this pick ugh

Hawkman
05-08-2014, 08:51 PM
WHAT???!!

katmandu
05-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Sighhhh so many fricken lbs....and what if Sean Spence makes a miraculous recovery ???

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Dennard was the no-brainer choice. This pick makes no sense. Spence was just cleared so that shored it up more. If they wanted an ILB, why didn't they get Mosley?

touchdownward
05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
He's big at 236 lbs. but not so big that it would slow him down. Great pick, but a surprise to me. I thought we would go with an O lineman.

Devilsdancefloor
05-08-2014, 08:56 PM
i was thinking ILB but now i am thinking SS lol

Godfather
05-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Good player, but not a great pick when you had Dennard and Martin on the board.

Shoes
05-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I like the pick…amazing speed for a LB

Heinz Hitman
05-08-2014, 08:59 PM
It was a little bit of a reach and I feel like we just drafted another Jarvis Jones. A quick outside linebacker who is a bit slender and may need to add some muscle. Dennard was there for the taking and we sh!t the bed. I feel sick.

katmandu
05-08-2014, 09:00 PM
If they wanted an ILB, why didn't they get Mosley???? Mosley is a beast and now the Ratbirds just picked him.

touchdownward
05-08-2014, 09:01 PM
It was a little bit of a reach and I feel like we just drafted another Jarvis Jones. A quick outside linebacker who is a bit slender and may need to add some muscle. Dennard was there for the taking and we sh!t the bed. I feel sick.
Not draft related, but dude I love that avatar you got!

Iron Steeler
Spence just got cleared . Now were crowded at one position and empty at DB great job Kevin colbert

salamander
I'm pissed.

touchdownward
05-08-2014, 09:03 PM
If Suit were still around, he'd love this pick. :D

katmandu
ANALYSISSTRENGTHS Highly productive, disruptive playmaker vs. the run and pass. Shoots gaps and plays behind the line of scrimmage (compiled 39.5 TFL the last two seasons). Agile to slip blocks. Quick, strong hands to shed. Knifes gaps and flows very well laterally. Striking tackler -- uncoils on contact. Excellent speed and range -- opens up his stride in space and really covers ground. Bends naturally. Changes direction and accelerates with ease. Explosive first step as a pass rusher -- shows the ability to dip, bend and run the arc low to the ground. Ample athleticism and flexibility to mark backs and tight ends. Led all players at the combine with a 42-inch vertical jump and blazed a sub-4.4 40 time at his pro day. Four-down utility. Arrow is pointing up.WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal size and bulk. Still developing eyes and instincts -- will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road. Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill. Prone to overaggressiveness -- occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain. Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender. Took some time to acclimate before making an impact.DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1BOTTOM LINE The Big Ten's leading tackler, Shazier flies around the field and his unique athletic ability stands out. Offers a tremendous combination of speed, tackling and coverage skills to become a playmaker as a run-and-hit 4-3 Will or perhaps a 3-4 weakside 'backer if protected by a block-occupying nose tackle. Value is increased by the fact that he will not have to come off the field

X-Terminator
I'll tell you what, this guy had better pan out...for Tomlin's and Colbert's sake. To say they have been underwhelming at the draft is an understatement.

I just knew they were going to do something to piss off the fans.

steelerdude15
He seems to be a good linebacker and I'm sure he'll be used next to Lawrence. It makes the most sense.

one side only
05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Says a little about the Jarvis Jones pick, which I hated almost as much as this one. Shazier also won't start, just like Jones. Not sure what is going on with the Steelers brain trust.

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 09:05 PM
"Yeah our corners are crap and the Jim Thorpe award winner is available, let's reach for the 2nd best LB available". Did they let Biden make this pick?

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:05 PM
The problem is on message board communities like this we tend to fall in love with a certain group of players and then get upset if we miss on those particular guys.

But looking at the bigger picture, well I'll quote what I said in the draft thread.

I wasn't expecting Shazier but I love the pick.

Shazier beside Timmons inside is going to be beautiful. Worilds and Jarvis outside. Now Moats is truly going to flex for us and backup at both positions. Vince Williams as a backup as he should be at this point. After June 1st let's bring back Harrison for a last hurrah to shore up the other side.

And I wager Spence's health is just fine but even when we drafted him, the dude's not really a ILB. A tweener, situational guy, or maybe safety conversion project. He could even be special... but in his role, not manning the line full-time.

Linebacker City Baby!

Shazier will play inside, Spence will continue to be a tweener/situational and possible safety conversion project. When we drafted Spence nobody thought he was going to be a stout 3-down ILB so why is that different now?

Steeldude
05-08-2014, 09:06 PM
I am just happy that it wasn't Dennard at #15

Psycho Ward 86
05-08-2014, 09:07 PM
ok i love ryan shazier, but the fact that we picked him at #15 pisses me off. Wish we had at least traded back for more picks and gotten him. if he isnt at least as good at lawrence timmons i am not going to be a happy camper. Even then, i might not be happy

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:11 PM
2. Tuitt
3. McGill
4. Abbrederis

And I'll be pleased.

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 09:12 PM
The problem is on message board communities like this we tend to fall in love with a certain group of players and then get upset if we miss on those particular guys.

But looking at the bigger picture, well I'll quote what I said in the draft thread.

Shazier will play inside, Spence will continue to be a tweener/situational and possible safety conversion project. When we drafted Spence nobody thought he was going to be a stout 3-down ILB so why is that different now?

And it won't matter one iota because wide receiver will get open against the garbage we have at corners with ease

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 09:12 PM
We need help at all 3 levels, so I'm not upset.

86WARD
05-08-2014, 09:13 PM
I would've rather have had one of the safeties.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:14 PM
And it won't matter one iota because wide receiver will get open against the garbage we have at corners with ease

McGill and Baptiste are both very prototypically what the Steelers would want. They're just not guys who could start this year. But you have Allen blossoming, Ike back for another season (for better or worse), and a few guys who can backup if they really had to. If you weren't going to start Dennard this year anyways, why not wait and get McGill or Baptiste? They could play situationally and step into the starting role next season.

katmandu
05-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Dude is freaking FAST for a LB!
Led all players at the combine with a 42-inch vertical jump and blazed a sub-4.4 40 time at his pro day.

X-Terminator
05-08-2014, 09:16 PM
We need help at all 3 levels, so I'm not upset.

True, but I think CB was the biggest need of all, and they passed on the best one available. Like I said, Shazier had better pan out, because right now, Colbert and Tomlin are not looking real smart.

86WARD
05-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Dude is freaking FAST for a LB!

Maybe he can help return punts...he is aerodynamic...too soon?

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:18 PM
I would've rather have had one of the safeties.

I have a feeling Spence might be our safety project now.

86WARD
05-08-2014, 09:18 PM
True, but I think CB was the biggest need of all, and they passed on the best one available. Like I said, Shazier had better pan out, because right now, Colbert and Tomlin are not looking real smart.

Best one available on "paper." will be some time before we can say that for sure...which could be a good thing. And hey...he's still available...for now.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Maybe he can help return punts...he is aerodynamic...too soon?

He has suddenness. Not sure about the glide.

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Spence just got cleared . Now were crowded at one position and empty at DB great job Kevin colbert

I think the rosy Spence reports are BS. This pick confirms it, IMO.

86WARD
05-08-2014, 09:21 PM
He has suddenness. Not sure about the glide.

lol...look at him again...he definitely has "glide."

Shoes
05-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Well we don't have any fat lazy LB's any longer. When the Bears picked Fuller i had a feeling they would go LB. I think it will pan out ok.

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 09:27 PM
McGill and Baptiste are both very prototypically what the Steelers would want. They're just not guys who could start this year. But you have Allen blossoming, Ike back for another season (for better or worse), and a few guys who can backup if they really had to. If you weren't going to start Dennard this year anyways, why not wait and get McGill or Baptiste? They could play situationally and step into the starting role next season.

Ike Taylor's days of being good are behind him, Allen is inconsistent, and outside of that your best corner is William Gay who is best suited as a nickle corner. McGill and Baptiste didn't shutdown every receiver they went up against like Dennard did, they didn't win the Jim Thorpe Award or be an important part of one of the elite defenses in college football like Dennard. A.J Green and Josh Gordon are laughing at our cornerback corp.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Dennard got many of his accolades doing things that will get him penalty flags in the NFL. I'd be more upset if they had passed up Fuller.

katmandu
05-08-2014, 09:30 PM
I have a feeling Spence might be our safety project now.X2

dislocatedday
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I hope Shazier is good enough to start from day one beside Timmons and be productive.

Jaucer
05-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Dennard got many of his accolades doing things that will get him penalty flags in the NFL. I'd be more upset if they had passed up Fuller.

This x2. Dennard is an NFL PI flag waiting to happen. Maybe he'll correct that and maybe he won't. Once Fuller was gone the Steelers were better to wait until later to get a CB.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I hope Shazier is good enough to start from day one beside Timmons and be productive.
I think he is. One of the rare players who could start on our defense immediately. But he might not even have to do it full time, we'll get some looks from Moats and Williams. I think we're going to be very pleased with our LB corps this season... the entire LB corps... for the first time since when, Lloyd Green Kirkland Brown Ravotti?

Jaucer
05-08-2014, 09:39 PM

He has the football IQ to, so I won't rule it out. Like I said in the draft thread I can see him calling the defensive plays in a few years.

Iron Steeler
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
We have enough lbs ... You can hide a sub par lb we have noooooo DBS at all

Shoes
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I think he is. One of the rare players who could start on our defense immediately. But he might not even have to do it full time, we'll get some looks from Moats and Williams. I think we're going to be very pleased with our LB corps this season... the entire LB corps... for the first time since when, Lloyd Green Kirkland Brown Ravotti?

That's about how I feel also.

Dwinsgames
05-08-2014, 09:52 PM
....and what if Sean Spence makes a miraculous recovery ???

what if he does ?

Shazier 10 times the prospect

- - - Updated - - -

yep we hid Vince williams all last year by putting troy in the box all year long weakening our secondary in the process ....

our LB core just got better as did our secondary by default

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 09:55 PM

I dunno. Troy was pretty conspicuous, and not in a good way, when he was forced into playing at LB last year thanks to all the damn injuries. Don't care to a see a repeat of that.

We have 8 more picks. Keep the faith.

Texasteel
The draft does not end tonight, and there is a lot of very good CBs still out there.

steel9guy
I'm iffy on this pick. I like it but I was really hoping for secondary. Back in the day I'd trust this pick but Tomlin and Colbert haven't been on their draft game like Colbert used to be.

steelreserve
05-08-2014, 09:56 PM
All I have to say about this pick is, are you fucking kidding me? With the highest natural pick we've had in years, we go and waste it on the one position we DON'T need. We used the #15 overall pick to give ourselves an odd man out - BRILLIANT fucking work, rocket scientists.

katmandu
05-08-2014, 09:57 PM
what if he does ?

Shazier 10 times the prospect

- - - Updated - - -

yep we hid Vince williams all last year by putting troy in the box all year long weakening our secondary in the process ....

our LB core just got better as did our secondary by defaultSpence --> Safety.

Shazier just added a lot of speed to our Defense. Aggressive tackling machine.

http://youtu.be/wmT5sX7G3xk

MrPgh
05-08-2014, 09:58 PM
The Steelers sure do love LBs, and they love to de-value the CB position.

Shoes
05-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Tomlin said early this week that there was a premium on pass rush capabilities. Maybe we should expect more of the same tomorrow. Kind of exciting stuff.

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Not sure why so many people are putting so much faith in Spence. IMO, he's a long shot at this point, and them picking a kid to play ILB instead of CB at #15 speaks volumes to me. This defense is a mess and needs help everywhere. I would have been mad if they went WR or OL again.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't understand what this Spence fetish is. This pick says nothing about him. Spence is a situational player and safety conversion project, who might or might not yield any fruit. He never was supposed to be a starting ILB.

steelreserve
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM
Not sure why so many people are putting so much faith in Spence. IMO, he's a long shot at this point, and them picking a kid to play ILB instead of CB at #15 speaks volumes to me. This defense is a mess and needs help everywhere.

I'm not putting faith in Spence; I was more wondering what we're going to do with Moats. And I guess this means Williams is like 6th-string now; not that he was great, but as a backup, he could've been fine. And I also wonder what we're going to do with three #1 draft picks and a #2 as linebackers - even if they all play up to their draft position, we can't pay them all or we're just stupid.

Overall, the thing that pisses me off the most is that we've been neglecting the DB position for 10 years, and NT for a similar amount of time, and we just whoopty-dooed past both of those again. It doesn't fill a need, nor am I even remotely sure it was the best player available. This guy better turn out to be a perennial Pro Bowler or I'm PISSED.

86WARD
05-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Safe to say Harrison won't be returning?

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Yeah, I think that's a safe bet. :chuckle:

Steeltreal
I'll tell you what, this guy had better pan out...for Tomlin's and Colbert's sake. To say they have been underwhelming at the draft is an understatement.

I just knew they were going to do something to piss off the fans.unless u also love the Buckeyes

Dwinsgames

or Breeland if he falls a little

X-Terminator
Overall, the thing that pisses me off the most is that we've been neglecting the DB position for 10 years, and NT for a similar amount of time, and we just whoopty-dooed past both of those again. It doesn't fill a need, nor am I even remotely sure it was the best player available. This guy better turn out to be a perennial Pro Bowler or I'm PISSED.

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. Once again the DB position gets ignored. I understand the need to get pressure on the QB, and they did need another ILB, but they still need someone who can actually cover a receiver. Right now they have NO ONE who can do that with any consistency.

I hate to go thumbs-down on Shazier before he plays a single down, but the more I think about it, the more I am absolutely hating this pick. Even more so now that Dennard went to a division rival.

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm not putting faith in Spence; I was more wondering what we're going to do with Moats. And I guess this means Williams is like 6th-string now; not that he was great, but as a backup, he could've been fine. And I also wonder what we're going to do with three #1 draft picks and a #2 as linebackers - even if they all play up to their draft position, we can't pay them all or we're just stupid.

We have 8 more picks. We're gonna get a CB somewhere in there.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 10:16 PM

Why not?

1. Jones........Shazier.....Timmons.....Worilds
2. Harrison....Williams....Moats........Carter...

Spence in some kind of utility role/safety conversion

That's not too many LBs.

86WARD
05-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Shazier will wear #56.

stillers4me
05-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Shazier will wear #56. I can duct tape my Woodley jersey. Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Probably in the middle round again which has failed every time they tried it since Ike Taylor. They need to stop trying out these middle round corners that have failed them recently, they needed to start drafting them in round 1

steelreserve
05-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Yeah, we always do, in like the 4th or 5th round. Out of those, Ike Taylor has panned out and Keenan Lewis had one good year for us and now plays for the Saints. This is the usual strategy that flops at DB.

If we didn't get a DB, I would've at least liked to see us trade down and get Nix plus a 2nd or 3rd, depending on who. Then we could've still gotten a decent CB in Round 2, or a LB if we really had such a hard-on for one. Now we basically have two glaring holes to fill, one high pick to do it with, and no guarantee anyone worthwhile will be there when it's our turn. DB and NT are difficult positions to find in the draft, and we were fools to pass up both when we had our pick of the bunch.

Dwinsgames
05-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Probably in the middle round again which has failed every time they tried it since Ike Taylor. They need to stop trying out these middle round corners that have failed them recently, they needed to start drafting them in round 1

Cortez Allen was a failed pick ?
Lewis was a failed pick ? thought you wanted to throw 6-7 mill a year at him last off season .... am I mistaken ?

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 10:28 PM
I did like Nix but I liked him to give the middle of our defense more punch soooooooo... I can't complain one bit about Shazier.

Steeldude
05-08-2014, 10:30 PM

No CBs available worth the 15th pick, IMO.

fansince'76
05-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. Just saying.

salamander
05-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Yepp. I'm still pissed about this pick. Sorry.

Texasteel
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
It take two teams to make a trade, and we don't know if any team wanted the 15th pick. We could have picked any CB or NT we wanted, but maybe there wasn't one there we wanted to spend the 15 pick on. The Steelers got the player they wanted of the players that were left, and a player they thought was worth the 15 pick. Personally, I think they got a better player that some of us think they did.

steel9guy
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
This is pretty much where I'm at right now. Once again the DB position gets ignored. I understand the need to get pressure on the QB, and they did need another ILB, but they still need someone who can actually cover a receiver. Right now they have NO ONE who can do that with any consistency.

I hate to go thumbs-down on Shazier before he plays a single down, but the more I think about it, the more I am absolutely hating this pick. Even more so now that Dennard went to a division rival.

Maybe they trained Ike on how to make more interceptions and are confident he will be getting younger this year instead of older.

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 10:37 PM
It take two teams to make a trade, and we don't know if any team wanted the 15th pick. We could have picked any CB or NT we wanted, but maybe there wasn't one there we wanted to spend the 15 pick on. The Steelers got the player they wanted of the players that were left, and a player they thought was worth the 15 pick. Personally, I think they got a better player that some of us think they did.

I'm not so sure they even wanted to trade down. Shazier playing inside solves myriad issues for this defense.

Plus I'm sure Butler must be champing at the bit.

Shoes
05-08-2014, 10:40 PM
It's pretty clear this is the pick the Steelers wanted. They had the pick in well before the clock was up, maybe they feel it best to get better at front and center. As Tex said there are a lot of good CB left

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Cortez Allen was a failed pick ?
Lewis was a failed pick ? thought you wanted to throw 6-7 mill a year at him last off season .... am I mistaken ?

Cortez isn't that good of a corner and was a real disappointment this year compared to the flashes he showed the last 2 games of 2012, and I admit it was a stretch to say Lewis was a failed pick and didn't think about him, but remember it took him so long to develop we only got a good half a year out of him

JayC
05-08-2014, 10:42 PM
not a fan of this pick but that's because i really never watched him and he was not on my radar. should have gone CB or S..

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 10:42 PM
In addition for our CB situation I would expect to see Terry Hawthorne in camp this year and he may surprise.

Steeltreal
05-08-2014, 10:44 PM
I read he has Suddeness, nuff said

st33lersguy
05-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. Just saying.

For one Richard Sherman there are many more late round defensive backs who never make an impact in the NFL.

tube517
05-08-2014, 10:50 PM
If he gets hurt, cue the Howard Cossell "Down goes Shazier! Down goes Shazier!" chants. :chuckle:

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 10:54 PM
The more I think about this pick the more I like it.

We just made Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu better. In round two give me Ealy or Tuitt.

Because what I had to ask myself was, if we don't address our line and pass rush, a rookie CB is going to do what for us exactly?

Shoes
05-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Steelers selected Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier with the No. 15 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Shazier (6-foot-1, 237) needed only three seasons in Columbus to total 44.5 tackles for loss, 14 sacks, and nine forced fumbles, with a 2013 first-team All-American berth and first-team All-Big Ten honors as both a sophomore and junior. A transcendent athlete, Shazier tallied a 42-inch vertical and 10-foot-10 broad jump at the Combine, before scorching a 4.38 forty at Ohio State's Pro Day. Shazier is a finesse linebacker -- not a thumper -- but is rangy enough to cover tailbacks and tight ends, and is a sideline-to-sideline missile in run defense. He's like a bigger, faster Derrick Brooks. Shazier should slot in next to Lawrence Timmons at inside 'backer in the Steelers' 3-4. An aging defense has gotten a much-needed youth infusion this spring.

Shazier may be just what Steelers need

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6384/shazier-may-be-just-what-steelers-need

Steelerette
05-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Look at Shazier's head/face. He looks like a cross between James Harrison and Carnell Lake.

That can only be a good sign, right?

BigNastyDefense
05-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I love the pick, and not just because I am a Buckeye fan.

Shazier is a tackling machine, the only player last season to have 100+ tackles on the season with at least 20 of them for a loss. That's behind the line of scrimmage. That's to go with 7 sacks last season too.

Troy Polamalu is too old to be playing the hybrid S-LB position that he has played most of his career. He needs to be more like Ed Reed was in his final years in Baltimore, sitting back playing "center field" to cause turnovers and incomplete passes. Shazier is ten times the player Sean Spence was and is. Even if Spence is cleared to play and makes the team, he was never going to be a three-down linebacker.

Dennard, IMO, is going to be a flag magnet. The way he made a lot of his plays in college won't fly in the NFL. The rules are staggered to help offense, no touchy! Dennard likes to touch, bump, and grab jersey. That's going to be a lot of PI flags.

There are other CB's in the draft that can get coached up by Coach Lake and end up very good. Dennard wouldn't have started this year anyhow save injuries, so taking someone in the second or third round to sit a year and learn isn't that big of a deal. Shazier however, he could very well start day one.

Jarvis Jones - Ryan Shazier - Lawrence Timmons - Jason Worilds

That, IMO, is probably the best starting LB crew since the 1990's in Pittsburgh. The best part of this, all the guys are still young. Nobody is going to be losing a step or two in the next couple of years.

Shoes
05-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Look at Shazier's head/face. He looks like a cross between James Harrison and Carnell Lake.

That can only be a good sign, right?

He looked like that when he was nine years old. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
05-09-2014, 12:09 AM

Shazier is a tackling machine, the only player last season to have 100+ tackles on the season with at least 20 of them for a loss. That's behind the line of scrimmage. That's to go with 7 sacks last season too.

Troy Polamalu is too old to be playing the hybrid S-LB position that he has played most of his career. He needs to be more like Ed Reed was in his final years in Baltimore, sitting back playing "center field" to cause turnovers and incomplete passes. Shazier is ten times the player Sean Spence was and is. Even if Spence is cleared to play and makes the team, he was never going to be a three-down linebacker.

Dennard, IMO, is going to be a flag magnet. The way he made a lot of his plays in college won't fly in the NFL. The rules are staggered to help offense, no touchy! Dennard likes to touch, bump, and grab jersey. That's going to be a lot of PI flags.

There are other CB's in the draft that can get coached up by Coach Lake and end up very good. Dennard wouldn't have started this year anyhow save injuries, so taking someone in the second or third round to sit a year and learn isn't that big of a deal. Shazier however, he could very well start day one.

That, IMO, is probably the best starting LB crew since the 1990's in Pittsburgh. The best part of this, all the guys are still young. Nobody is going to be losing a step or two in the next couple of years.

OK I get all that, but couldn't Dennard have been coached up so that he doesn't take so many PI penalties? I'm sure he knows that his college "style" won't fly in the NFL. His talent is exactly what we needed here in Pittsburgh at a position that has been a weakness for far too long. Now, we have to face him twice a year. I'm sorry, I'm just not happy about this. Maybe after watching Shazier play and hopefully live up to all of this hype will make me feel better.

salamander
05-09-2014, 12:13 AM
OK I get all that, but couldn't Dennard have been coached up so that he doesn't take so many PI penalties? I'm sure he knows that his college "style" won't fly in the NFL. His talent is exactly what we needed here in Pittsburgh at a position that has been a weakness for far too long. Now, we have to face him twice a year. I'm sorry, I'm just not happy about this. Maybe after watching Shazier play and hopefully live up to all of this hype will make me feel better.

I'm with you, X-T. Time will only tell but I feel like the Steelers messed up here.

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Baptiste, Breeland, McGill, all have the potential to be just as good as Dennard, but they need a season to develop. And Dennard wasn't going to start this year anyways. As long as we get someone in round 2-4 I don't really see what we're missing.

You're going to be happy with Shazier's presence, and laughing at Dennard's bungling penalties. I know it's bittersweet now when a lot of us had our mind set on him, but remember...

"Hurt so good
Come on baby, make it hurt so good
Sometimes love don't feel like it should
You make it hurt so good..."

Shoes
05-09-2014, 12:21 AM

They tried that with Ike and catching and it didn't work…. :chuckle:

tube517
05-09-2014, 12:36 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/report-cowboys-ready-pounce-ryan-shazier-steelers-didnt/

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 12:59 AM
It is at their own peril that professional sports teams pass on the opportunity to select a uniquely gifted player with the potential to alter the course of a franchise.
Shazier and Lawrence Timmons (http://www.nfl.com/player/lawrencetimmons/2495762/profile) could rival the 49ers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF)' inside linebacker duo as the NFL's most dynamic. If general manager Kevin Colbert hits on a red-zone threat and a cornerback in the next two rounds, the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) might just be the favorite to take the AFC North in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348444/article/six-firstround-picks-with-franchisealtering-potential

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 01:04 AM
heres a possibility no one seems to have considered. While it may seem like the LB corp is now cluttered, its only cluttered in terms of base defense. Maybe Dick Lebeau will cook up something crazy. Jones, Shazier, Timmons, Moats, Williams, Worilds....

The famed 46 defense anyone? Resurrected or something along those lines maybe? And perhaps Sean Spence really is in good health, and he's been rumored since he got drafted to be kind of a hybrid safety/linebacker anyways. He could be our Kam Chancellor imitation if he gets healthy

steelreserve
05-09-2014, 01:55 AM
The more I think about this pick the more I like it.

We just made Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu better. In round two give me Ealy or Tuitt.

Because what I had to ask myself was, if we don't address our line and pass rush, a rookie CB is going to do what for us exactly?

See, here's the thing. Having good linebackers doesn't make the DBs better by itself, because the good linebackers suck at getting pressure and making plays when the defensive line isn't doing its job. Why do you think we suddenly stopped getting pressure and sacks, and also stopped being able to cover all at the same time about 2-3 years ago? That's the exact same time when two-thirds of our defensive line started being screwed up, because Hood just sucked and we either had an over-the-hill Hampton or a fake nose tackle by committee. If you don't fix that, you end up with a lot of LBs with "a lot of potential who never live up to it," or "a bunch of talented players who never quite came together as a unit." That's why I've been saying for a while that a nose tackle is so goddamn critical in this draft. Who knows if we'll have the opportunity to take the only one I see who could make an immediate impact, though. (Nix, in case you didn't know)

It is at their own peril that professional sports teams pass on the opportunity to select a uniquely gifted player with the potential to alter the course of a franchise.
Shazier and Lawrence Timmons could rival the 49ers' inside linebacker duo as the NFL's most dynamic. If general manager Kevin Colbert hits on a red-zone threat and a cornerback in the next two rounds, the Steelers might just be the favorite to take the AFC North in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348444/article/six-firstround-picks-with-franchisealtering-potential

It should be noted that the 49ers' dynamic inside linebackers were helped by having one of the best secondaries in the league for most of the past few seasons, as well as a line that can get pressure and stop the run with just a 4-man rush. Justin Smith is like their equivalent of Aaron Smith. Like ours for a long time, they just had a good all-around defense.

Steeltreal
05-09-2014, 02:16 AM
See, here's the thing. Having good linebackers doesn't make the DBs better by itself, because the good linebackers suck at getting pressure and making plays when the defensive line isn't doing its job. Why do you think we suddenly stopped getting pressure and sacks, and also stopped being able to cover all at the same time about 2-3 years ago? That's the exact same time when two-thirds of our defensive line started being screwed up, because Hood just sucked and we either had an over-the-hill Hampton or a fake nose tackle by committee. If you don't fix that, you end up with a lot of LBs with "a lot of potential who never live up to it," or "a bunch of talented players who never quite came together as a unit." That's why I've been saying for a while that a nose tackle is so goddamn critical in this draft. Who knows if we'll have the opportunity to take the only one I see who could make an immediate impact, though. (Nix, in case you didn't know)

It should be noted that the 49ers' dynamic inside linebackers were helped by having one of the best secondaries in the league for most of the past few seasons, as well as a line that can get pressure and stop the run with just a 4-man rush. Justin Smith is like their equivalent of Aaron Smith. Like ours for a long time, they just had a good all-around defense.
blame Taamu

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 02:40 AM
Well, I liked Nix too. But we've got Shazier and he does a lot of things for us. I would be happy to add Nix in the second if he's there, for sure. The trouble with Nix is that while he seems to be a solid NT, there are some questions as to whether he really can do it. I'm not deterred but at the same time it's hard for me to argue against such a clear-cut upgrade in the middle of the LB group, such as it would be hard for me to argue against the potential DE we might get. Ealy, Tuitt, Crichton, any of those would be huge for us I think.

Aussie_steeler
05-09-2014, 03:57 AM

Late to the party as usual.

This pick shocked the hell out of me when I watched the Draft after work.

I have spent an hour or two reading and catching up and my perspective has changed a little.

Bignastydefence is close but not entirely there. Watch the Colbert / tomlin press conference and you will see where they are going.

1. Inside linebacker
2. Vertical and horizontal speed
3. can get behind the line of scrimmage
4. Coverage capacity

Shazier has been drafted to be an every down inside linebacking subpackage killer. If he is on the field he can move to the spot that will need to be covered or exploited.

Sound familiar. Sound like any special player that currently plays D.

The steelers are Sh#t scared of the day they loose #43. I don't think they will find another SS who fits the Polamalu brief in the next generation. However you may be able to find him this generation at the LB spot.

Ryan Shazier -- Tasmanian Devil 2.0

steelreserve
05-09-2014, 04:08 AM
blame Taamu

I totally do. Not that we were counting on him 100%, but that dickhead and his jerk style set us back a way.

Well, I liked Nix too. But we've got Shazier and he does a lot of things for us. I would be happy to add Nix in the second if he's there, for sure. The trouble with Nix is that while he seems to be a solid NT, there are some questions as to whether he really can do it. I'm not deterred but at the same time it's hard for me to argue against such a clear-cut upgrade in the middle of the LB group, such as it would be hard for me to argue against the potential DE we might get. Ealy, Tuitt, Crichton, any of those would be huge for us I think.

If Nix is there when we pick, we'd have to be total shitheads not to take him. I understand the questions about "value for the pick" at #15 overall, but a second-rounder to potentially fix a HUGE problem that you haven't been able to address for several years? Come on.

All these questions about his ability to really get it done are just shortsighted nonsense to me. The guy was tearing it up two years ago when ND went to the championship game, and had a "bad season" this year because he was playing on a torn meniscus. That's not only a painful injury, but one that's completely fixable. You're literally 100% back to normal in about 3 months. It's not like the questions with Shaun Cody (motivation/conditioning) or Dontari Poe (raw talent but will he "get it.") The guy strikes me as the closest sure-thing NT I've seen since BJ Raji, and with the huge demand for nose tackles recently, it's almost serendipitous that he could possibly fall that far. I would've been tempted to take him at 15 overall, except that there were so many other things we could have done with that pick. Suffice to say that taking another linebacker was not high on my list.

Moose
05-09-2014, 05:07 AM
I know it's early, but I kinda like the pick. Shazier seems like a pretty good athlete and could help the Steeler's with the much needed pressure on QB they have been lacking in the past. How many times have we been watching the game and the opposing QB had enough time back there to write a book ? Maybe Shazier can change that ! Plus, I'm sure there are still a few CB's out there that can help us out, and IF Shazier pan's out the way we hope, then maybe the opponents WR's won't be a big factor for our CB's.

Count Steeler
05-09-2014, 05:42 AM
For now, I will trust Lebeau over the talking heads. I think he would know best what he needs to rebuild the defense.

Steeldude
05-09-2014, 05:43 AM

Maybe, but I have always viewed him as another Bryant McFadden.

IMO, Dennard would have been a bigger reach at #15.

GBMelBlount
05-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Late to the party as usual.

This pick shocked the hell out of me when I watched the Draft after work.

I have spent an hour or two reading and catching up and my perspective has changed a little.

Bignastydefence is close but not entirely there. Watch the Colbert / tomlin press conference and you will see where they are going.

1. Inside linebacker
2. Vertical and horizontal speed
3. can get behind the line of scrimmage
4. Coverage capacity

Shazier has been drafted to be an every down inside linebacking subpackage killer. If he is on the field he can move to the spot that will need to be covered or exploited.

Sound familiar. Sound like any special player that currently plays D.

The steelers are Sh#t scared of the day they loose #43. I don't think they will find another SS who fits the Polamalu brief in the next generation. However you may be able to find him this generation at the LB spot.

Ryan Shazier -- Tasmanian Devil 2.0

Shazam.

Shazier is athletic as can be and as has been said is an automatic upgrade.

With the depth in the draft at the other positions of need this may end up being a very smart pick.

Plus, if Jerruh Jones was going to take him you know he must be good. :uhoh:

15. Pittsburgh: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: A year after adding Jarvis Jones to the outside of an aging linebacking corps in the first round, the Steelers nab the most explosive interior 'backer in this year's class in Shazier. Although his blazing speed and lighter frame have drawn him comparisons to the Bucs' Lavonte David, it's his instincts, fluidity in space, and fundamental tackling that should make him a candidate to sit along side the former Cornhusker as one of the league's most prolific tacklers right out of the gate. GRADE: A

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24555102/nfl-draft-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

86WARD
05-09-2014, 06:06 AM
No CBs available worth the 15th pick, IMO.

Shazier wasn't really was worth a 15 either...

I don't mind the pick. It potentially helps sure up the middle where the Steelers get pounded in the run game and with the way teams are using TEs anymore, he could be a nice coverage guy.

salamander
05-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Still not 100% thrilled with the pick but if you guys are correct then I'll hop aboard the Shazier train.

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Old and slow no more. I am personally happy to see them address the problems we had last year that forced Troy into playing linebacker......and I bet he is, too. The FO is well aware of the secondary issues. I trust them to have a plan to address it. I don't know anything about this guy other than what's been posted here but since I have a great affection for a nasty Steelers D, I'm going to stay optimistic and plan on loving this pick in the near future. Throw him to Coaches Lebeau, Butler, and Peazy and watch the magic happen. Have faith, my children.

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 07:20 AM
And if Dennard really is a flag machine, welcome to Cinci!

JayC
05-09-2014, 07:56 AM
i like the pick more now that I've had some time to think about it. Just get a nose tackle and a cornerback in the next 2 rounds please.

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
If Shazier gets fined in the opener for decapitating Manziel, he will go down in Steelers lore as the best 1st round pick ever. :lol:

Mojouw
05-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Stating to like the pick. I'm guessing the pick was originally Fuller until he went off the board.

Those that are talking about sub-package football and how Shazier helps in that respect have hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. Jones, Timmons, Shazier can all rush the passer a bit and can all drop and play in space as well as run with TE's and RB's. Shazier may let the Steelers stay in base D more frequently, which then allows Lebeau to draw up more exotic pressures and hides the lack of depth in the secondary as well.

As to a NT, I think that recent comments out of Pittsburgh players and staff have made it quite clear that there is no way a 1st round pick will ever be devoted to a player that is only on the field for 40% or less of defensive snaps. In fact, I think that the Steelers are starting to re-think what they want out of NT and the player(s) they use to fill that position. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but I really think that they think that guys like Casey Hampton are dinosaurs in the NFL now. Isn't Nix more of a Hampton than say a Poe?

JayC
05-09-2014, 08:27 AM
it's going to be weird when we see #56 running around and he is not fat and slow, actually is the exact opposite of that

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Ryan Shazier .......... To be referred to from here on out as Shazam. Joins Shamwow (Shamarko) in the new generation of the Steelers young and fast defense. (stillers takes a bow)

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
it's going to be weird when we see #56 running around and he is not fat and slow, actually is the exact opposite of that

Can I just duct tape over my Woodley jersey?

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/05/09/ryan-shazier-easier-time-lawrence-timmons-steelers/

dislocatedday
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I was surprised when this pick was made, but just looking at Shazier's athletic ability, he appears to be "off the charts" with rare physical gifts. A 240lb man with 4.37 speed, a 42 inch vertical, a 10'10" broad jump, and strength too..........he looks on paper to be as rare athletically as Clowney, but with consistent production on the field throughout college. Plus, he was a leader on the Ohio State defense with high character. How come he was not getting more press leading up to the draft?

86WARD
05-09-2014, 09:34 AM
So how many people are really upset with the pick or just upset because he wasn't a "household name" being thrown around before the draft?

Steeltreal
05-09-2014, 09:43 AM
So how many people are really upset with the pick or just upset because he wasn't a "household name" being thrown around before the draft?maybe Colberts new draft M.O. BAA best athlete available

86WARD
05-09-2014, 09:44 AM
He is by far the best athlete the Steelers have drafted in a LONG time...

He has the potential to be an impact player and like I said...it's a lot like the Seahawks drafting Irvin last year...

st33lersguy
05-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I have warmed up to the player himself, warming up to the idea of drafting yet another mid-round corner given this team track record with mid-round corner, ain't gonna happen

MrPgh
05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
So how many people are really upset with the pick or just upset because he wasn't a "household name" being thrown around before the draft?

I think people are upset because CB was a much bigger need than LB and that Dennard was available for the Steelers taking. I think the last two seasons have shown the Steelers are quite capable of making poor decisions. They should not have the benefit of the doubt from anyone anymore. This pick deserves to be scrutinized until the Steelers get back into the playoffs.

On a side note, this pick pretty much ends any possibility of James Harrison returning to the Steelers.

Iron Steeler
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I still don't understand this pick

Steelman
05-09-2014, 09:58 AM
I have warmed up to the player himself, warming up to the idea of drafting yet another mid-round corner given this team track record with mid-round corner, ain't gonna happen

That's where I stand too. Slept on it last night, decided I really like what Shazier will bring to the table. But 15 was too high for him, and we had more pressing needs.

Devilsdancefloor
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM
i really think they wanted fuller, but he went to the bears a pick before us, so they fixed ILBer. i warmed up to vince williams, but he isnt a 3 down LBer and he needed troys help in the box, so this pick makes a lot of since to me

86WARD
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM

How about this logic:

How many times (recently) have we seen the Steelers be run up the gut? This guy can help that. How many times have we seen the opposing teams TE catch a third down pass for a disappointing first down? Gronkowski, Pitta, etc. this guy has the skills and speed to cover those guys.

Maybe that's why?

Mojouw
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
A guy like Shazier on the team and maybe dirtballs like Charles Clay don't look like Pro Bowlers. Polamalu can go back to playing safety, the position that he built a HOF resume playing, rather than being the world's most undersized middle linebacker. Jones and Worilds can concentrate on rushing the passer rather than dropping into coverage. Might be a nice thing for your rush linebackers to be able to do. Shazier may help keep some version of a base looking 3-4 defense on the field.

As for "worth #15"; not sure I get that argument. By all accounts Shazier was a 1st round talent. The Steelers first round pick was at #15. As for the reply that they should have traded down...you have to have someone to trade with to do that. Does not seem like there were any willing partners.

Steelman
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Thought this was interesting from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348444/article/six-firstround-picks-with-franchisealtering-potential

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM
A guy like Shazier on the team and maybe dirtballs like Charles Clay don't look like Pro Bowlers. Polamalu can go back to playing safety, the position that he built a HOF resume playing, rather than being the world's most undersized middle linebacker. Jones and Worilds can concentrate on rushing the passer rather than dropping into coverage. Might be a nice thing for your rush linebackers to be able to do. Shazier may help keep some version of a base looking 3-4 defense on the field.

As for "worth #15"; not sure I get that argument. By all accounts Shazier was a 1st round talent. The Steelers first round pick was at #15. As for the reply that they should have traded down...you have to have someone to trade with to do that. Does not seem like there were any willing partners.

this

st33lersguy
05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Went ahead and saw some tape on the guy and found out more production, I am starting to like the player even more. Very productive, very impressive on tape, can do a lot on the field, 3 down player. Though he won't be able to cover A.J. Green or Josh Gordon, he will be able to cover the pass-catching tight ends such as Jordan Cameron, Tyler Eifert, Owen Daniels. Plus I liked it when he was interviewing with Elliot Harrison and he said "My no. 1 skill set is getting to the ball".

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 10:47 AM
some may find this interesting , while others may just look at it and feel their head start spinning http://draftmetric.com/2014-prospect-risk-analysis-metric/

steelreserve
05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Having had time to sleep on it ... call me stubborn, but I will like this pick when he gets out on the field and starts kicking ass, AND when our secondary and DL somehow turn out to be OK after all. They've got to prove it to me this time instead of me giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, he's the best athlete we've taken in years, because about all we've taken with high picks for several years is linemen. He's a great athlete, but at a position we didn't really need. We could've had Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick too if we'd wanted, but would that make it a good pick?

X-Terminator
05-09-2014, 10:56 AM
ILB was most definitely a need. It just wasn't the biggest one.

Having said that, I will reserve further judgment until Shazier gets out on the field. But from all indications and research, there's not much question this kid is very talented.

stillers4me
05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
From what Ive read, his agent was on the phone with Jerrah Jones when our pick came in so trading down was not an option to get him.

bendsteel
05-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Something tells me that the Ravens would have nabbed him had we not. They took Mosley, but which one would you rather have??? Looking at Dwins graph, Shazier seems to have good/great measurables. 25 reps is decent for a slightly small lB.

Shoes
05-09-2014, 11:11 AM
some may find this interesting , while others may just look at it and feel their head start spinning http://draftmetric.com/2014-prospect-risk-analysis-metric/

Nice find Dwins.....thanks

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice find Dwins.....thanks

that comes directly from Ryan Riddle ‏@Ryan_Riddle

(https://twitter.com/Ryan_Riddle)

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Having had time to sleep on it ... call me stubborn, but I will like this pick when he gets out on the field and starts kicking ass, AND when our secondary and DL somehow turn out to be OK after all. They've got to prove it to me this time instead of me giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, he's the best athlete we've taken in years, because about all we've taken with high picks for several years is linemen. He's a great athlete, but at a position we didn't really need. We could've had Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick too if we'd wanted, but would that make it a good pick?

I agree with you the DL needs addressing. I'm expecting that we'll get a DE or DT today.

Come to think of it, Nix would be nice, but the NFL teams know more than the talking heads. Remember when people were pissed we passed on Ta'amu in the second... and then we got him in the 4th? We may get a crack at Nix in the 2nd, we may be looking at McCullers or Ellis in the 4th... or we may want to instead just seriously upgrade the DE spot across from Heyward.

I think one way or the other it will get done and it will make our secondary all the better, which is good because we'll end up with a CB too but he won't be starting this year.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the NT being on the field only 40% of the time how much of that can you attribute to not having a proper NT on the roster? If we had a real big mean disruptive NT who fit the 3-4, he'd be on the field, especially since we're saying that Shazier will allow us to play base defense more often.

Mojouw
05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
- - - Updated - - -

As far as the NT being on the field only 40% of the time how much of that can you attribute to not having a proper NT on the roster? If we had a real big mean disruptive NT who fit the 3-4, he'd be on the field, especially since we're saying that Shazier will allow us to play base defense more often.

I'm pretty sure that percentage comes straight from the Steelers. Even Hampton never really played in "sub-package football" (which seems to be all Tomlin, Colbert and Heyward are talking about). I agree that the DL needs more talent and should get addressed in the draft, but I am not certain that the Steelers are prioritizing a traditional 2 down nose tackle.

Still, if Nix really is Vince Wilfork 2.0, then they would be fools to pass on him. Of course, if Nix was really Wilfork 2.0 then I doubt 32 teams would have already passed on him.

fansince'76
05-09-2014, 11:52 AM
A guy like Shazier on the team and maybe dirtballs like Charles Clay don't look like Pro Bowlers.

Agreed. While I understand all the handwringing folks are doing over the secondary, I'm also really tired of seeing shit like this (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000294332/Clay-refuses-to-go-down-gets-in-for-the-TD).

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
if Nix was all that and a bag of chips he would not have been manhandled against USC by a guy who is a late 2nd round / Mid 3rd round prospect Marcus Martin , Martin OWNED Nix and it was not even close folks Nix pushed 5 yards off LOS nearly every down . sometimes Martin had help , other times he did not , but was able to do it 1 on 1 vs Nix most of the game ...

total and complete domination ....

so if making a case for Nix you really made a case to Trade Pouncey and draft Martin IMO ....

- - - Updated - - -

we got Shaz'aaam now , and as much hate as the pick has got I think most ( if not all ) will come to appreciate it once they see him flying around on the field and then Notice Troy is playing the backend of the def once again

st33lersguy
05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Thinknig about Shazier, he will help the pass defense in two ways
1. Covering the tight ends, he has the speed to cover the tight ends and the vertical to make up for height differential
2. He will help the pass rush

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah I'm definitely happy with Shazier, but I would love it if we grabbed a DT or DE today...

...unless the plan is to have a crack at McCullers or Ellis or someone like that, on day 3. Once one of those guys is ready to take on the starting role, couldn't McLendon slide out to DE but still be the emergency NT?

True Martin had his way with Nix. He had his way with Tuitt too. He can definitely hold his own, I don't know about trading Pouncey and grabbing him though. But Nix did put a few moves on him at the end of the game. He was playing on a torn meniscus too. If you look at Nix in the prior season he's just incredible. I would have no qualm getting him in the 2nd.

steelreserve
05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
if Nix was all that and a bag of chips he would not have been manhandled against USC by a guy who is a late 2nd round / Mid 3rd round prospect Marcus Martin , Martin OWNED Nix and it was not even close folks Nix pushed 5 yards off LOS nearly every down . sometimes Martin had help , other times he did not , but was able to do it 1 on 1 vs Nix most of the game ...

total and complete domination ....

so if making a case for Nix you really made a case to Trade Pouncey and draft Martin IMO ....

If you're talking about the game this most recent season, we've already been over this - Nix was playing on a bad knee. He was a completely different guy.

While that's a concern if it's a recurring thing, I don't think last season says much about his talent level. He probably would've been better off listening to the advice he got to sit out the season and recover instead of trying to tough it out. Of course, then he probably wouldn't have fallen this far, but hey, I'll take it if it ends up helping us.

I also wonder if this is a sign of the market for nose tackles coming back down to earth, now that the 3-4 is less of the "in" thing and the new fad is tall defensive backs because everyone's trying to copy Seattle. Which would work out fine for us in some ways, except that it makes CBs even more overvalued.

GBMelBlount
05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I would have no complaints if we got around tuitt in the 2nd.

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Thinknig about Shazier, he will help the pass defense in two ways
1. Covering the tight ends, he has the speed to cover the tight ends and the vertical to make up for height differential
2. He will help the pass rush

and

3. Troy no longer has to spy the box to cover up the inadequate Vince Williams giving us another man in the secondary

HollywoodSteel
05-09-2014, 12:20 PM
As I've said many times, I'm no college football expert, so I trust others in the talent evaluation department. But after listening to the guys on NFL Satellite radio talk about him (especially Gil Brandt who doesn't slobber over everyone and really points out the warts, even on top ten talent) I'm starting to be a glass half-full guy on the pick. Yes, ILB wasn't as much of an immediate need, but it is a long term need. Moats is a veteran with a one year contract, and Spence (while you can't help but root for him) does not have this high a ceiling even if he recovers fully from his injury. Dennard was probably the third best corner in the draft, but with plenty of warts. He might have been pretty good, but does anyone think he'll be great? It seems like it might have been the kind of pick that I could see looking back on in a couple of years and saying, "really? This guy was our #1 pick? At #15 overall? Big whoop."

Shazier on the other hand, might become something special. As others have appointed out, he could help the secondary just by virtue of letting Troy be more like the old Troy. Plus, in the modern NFL where you have TEs being huge mismatch problems for most teams, we've now got a guy who will not get burned by any TE in the league (again, this is me being optimistic that his open field cover skills will live up to his potential). The other thing I really like about this kid being a Steeler is his motor and character (which are related in the sense of his approach to his job). He is a team guy who will kill for coach LeBeau in whatever role is asked of him. He also admitted that he is a lifelong Steelers fan and this is his dream scenario. That probably doesn't really mean all that much, but it does make me like him even more.

Obviously, we can't fully judge the pick without having the context of the rest of the draft, but I for one do look forward to having the fastest linebacking core in the NFL. Isn't it kind of weird to go from old and slow to having Timmons be the senior member of the group? I can see offensive coordinators looking at Timmons and Shazier on the inside and having to devote some time to that problem. I have a much harder time seeing offensive coordinators ever losing sleep over Dennard at corner.

Much of our success will now really hinge on Jones living up to his potential as well, but I'm going to have a positive attitude about all of it… at least until the first game thread. Those of you who've seen me in action there know what I'm referring to. I'm sure I'll be back to my old, angry, and potentially homicidal self within ten minutes of the opening kickoff. :)

HollywoodSteel
05-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Now, all that said I really hope this doesn't end the chance of us bringing Harrison back. But really, I have no idea if Spence being cleared to play means that his knee is ready to stop and cut enough to get him on the field. I still wouldn't be too surprised if he started on the PUP. Plus it seems like our cup is overflowing at ILB more than OLB. Perhaps they are looking at Moats being the backup for both outside spots, but I'd feel more comfortable having Harrison there too, especially if Jones isn't quite there yet.

And now that Johnny Football is in our division, with all that swagger, can anyone see a better antidote to that than JH? I say let him loose and tell him not to worry about getting suspended this time. We can now survive a few games without him.

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 12:48 PM
That ILB Cross blitz is going to be absolutely insane

zulater
05-09-2014, 12:59 PM
this

If Dwins is down with the pick so am I! :applaudit:

Btw what did BigCurt think of the pick dwins?

Anyway I saw this guy compared to a young James Farrior with more speed. If he lives up to that billing then this was a great pick no matter what other needs we have. Lot of depth in this draft at corner and wr. I'm sure they'll address those needs as well.

HollywoodSteel
05-09-2014, 01:10 PM
"When you start talking about guys at the linebacker position running sub-4.5, that's rare air," Tomlin said.

Congratulations, Ryan! You were just the subject of your very first:

:tomlinism:

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/08/Steelers-pick-Ohio-State-OLB-Ryan-Shazier-in-first-round/stories/201405080328#ixzz31F6qHS7B

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway I saw this guy compared to a young James Farrior with more speed. If he lives up to that billing then this was a great pick no matter what other needs we have. Lot of depth in this draft at corner and wr. I'm sure they'll address those needs as well.

Curt seems to like the pick:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2056947-how-ryan-shazier-fits-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers

zulater
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
"When you start talking about guys at the linebacker position running sub-4.5, that's rare air," Tomlin said.

Congratulations, Ryan! You were just the subject of your very first:

:tomlinism:

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/08/Steelers-pick-Ohio-State-OLB-Ryan-Shazier-in-first-round/stories/201405080328#ixzz31F6qHS7B

- - - Updated - - -

Curt seems to like the pick:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2056947-how-ryan-shazier-fits-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers

Link doesn't work

HollywoodSteel
05-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Link doesn't work

It works when I click on it in your reply. Did you try just copying and pasting this?

But if you just go to bleacherreport.com I'm sure you'll be able to find it. And you can follow Curt on twitter here:

https://twitter.com/NFLdraftboard

The bottom line is, Curt focuses on all the positives points about Shazier that have more or less been discussed here.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that this forum contracts the link so I'll break it up into two parts if you want to copy and paste:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/ 2056947-how-ryan-shazier-fits-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers

There is no space between that "/" and the "2" so if you combine it you should be able to get there.

Jaucer
05-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Another thing he has in common with Farrior, he majored in psychology.

X-Terminator
05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
It works when I click on it in your reply. Did you try just copying and pasting this?

But if you just go to bleacherreport.com I'm sure you'll be able to find it. And you can follow Curt on twitter here:

https://twitter.com/NFLdraftboard

The bottom line is, Curt focuses on all the positives points about Shazier that have more or less been discussed here.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that this forum contracts the link so I'll break it up into two parts if you want to copy and paste:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/ 2056947-how-ryan-shazier-fits-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers

There is no space between that "/" and the "2" so if you combine it you should be able to get there.

If you are copying/pasting the link, then it will show up without the ability to click on it. Try using the "link" button in your reply box to post links in the future. I was able to fix the problem by editing then saving your post, and now it shows up fine.

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
SHA'Zaam

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnN-vKIIcAEClEY.jpg

st33lersguy
05-09-2014, 03:35 PM
SHA'Zaam

Got to start calling him Ryan Sha'zaam.

steelreserve
05-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Hazier and Shadier were the two things that popped into my mind immediately.

Steelman
05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
I guess he didn't want 56 after all?

GBMelBlount
05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Hazier and Shadier were the two things that popped into my mind immediately.

I was leaning towards Shazier Brassiere but whatever works I guess...

Steelerette
05-09-2014, 03:50 PM
So the rich part of Pittsburgh can start going by Shazy-side

Steelman
05-09-2014, 03:54 PM
This guy is sounding more and more like a real Pittsburgh Steeler. http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Shazier-The-plan-is-to-get-the-seventh-trophy/abc9fa84-de6b-4549-bdc5-e3190a6e62f7

Dwinsgames
05-09-2014, 04:20 PM
for perspective purposes only ....

Sha'zaam ran his 40 faster than Antonio Brown ..........

ALLD
05-09-2014, 04:31 PM
They picked Shazier because Mosely was wearing a bow tie and looked like a thug.

HollywoodSteel
05-09-2014, 04:58 PM
If you are copying/pasting the link, then it will show up without the ability to click on it. Try using the "link" button in your reply box to post links in the future. I was able to fix the problem by editing then saving your post, and now it shows up fine.

Thanks, X!

Craic
05-09-2014, 05:02 PM
for perspective purposes only ....

Sha'zaam ran his 40 faster than Antonio Brown ..........

Keep in mind, that Ryan Shazier also ran that 40 while tweaking his hamstring, which means there's a good chance he's faster than that.

HollywoodSteel
05-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Keep in mind, that Ryan Shazier also ran that 40 while tweaking his hamstring, which means there's a good chance he's faster than that.

His best time is 4.36 at around 230 pounds. If he's really any faster than that then it's a result of voodoo, or deals with the devil, or some other stuff I don't need to know about. ;)

tube517
05-09-2014, 05:23 PM
SHA'Zaam

Douchette wrong again. Said he was going to wear #56.

Shazam, Sharknado, and Sushi. Sounds like a new TV show.

SteelerFanInStl
05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
No offense but I sure as hell hope that we're not gonna call him "Sha'Zaam" or anything resembling that.

Craic
05-09-2014, 05:56 PM
His best time is 4.36 at around 230 pounds. If he's really any faster than that then it's a result of voodoo, or deals with the devil, or some other stuff I don't need to know about. ;)

Yep, and he ran that at his college workout day, which is when he tweaked his hammy. So unless it happened as he cross the finish line (possible) or it was just a tweak and he didn't let up (not as likely, but still possible), my guess is that he might be a a tenth of a second faster or so.

- - - Updated - - -

No offense but I sure as hell hope that we're not gonna call him "Sha'Zaam" or anything resembling that.

This.

Count Steeler
05-09-2014, 06:37 PM

Already seems to be the consenus.

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Shazam...lol that is the least steeler-esque nickname ive ever heard. Even if its a reference to captain marvel for some of you

tube517
05-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Shazam...lol that is the least steeler-esque nickname ive ever heard. Even if its a reference to captain marvel for some of you

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/atomic998877/1970s_shazam_02.jpg :chuckle:

LLT
05-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Troy no longer has to spy the box to cover up the inadequate Vince Williams giving us another man in the secondary

BINGO!!! Making our backfield better in the process....upgrade at two positions with one pick.

Psycho Ward 86
05-10-2014, 01:22 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/atomic998877/1970s_shazam_02.jpg :chuckle:

dear lord....its only a matter of time before some asshole photoshops shazier's head on that picture :lol:

tube517
05-10-2014, 01:38 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2057949-pistons-charlie-villanueva-jokes-about-his-nfl-draft-doppelgnger-ryan-shazier?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming

Forget Shazam....Shazier plays for the Pistons!!! :chuckle:

Just kidding.....but he does look like Charlie V

jb500ex
05-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Only on this board full of clueless homers would you compare one of the best linebacking cores of all time to one of the worst linebacking cores In the league. Not one guy in this group would come close to starting on that 94 team. That team was physical this is a soft core who once engaged can't get off. Complete joke you homers are

Texasteel
05-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Only on this board full of clueless homers would you compare one of the best linebacking cores of all time to one of the worst linebacking cores In the league. Not one guy in this group would come close to starting on that 94 team. That team was physical this is a soft core who once engaged can't get off. Complete joke you homers are

I'm glad to see you back, hope you can stick around. Please keep you remarks civil.

st33lersguy
05-10-2014, 11:42 PM

Please amuse us with your opinions of the other draft picks. We could all use the laugh

Shoes
05-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Who left the toilet seat up?

Texasteel
05-10-2014, 11:46 PM
Please guys. Lets not pick a fight. Don't need that here.

Shoes
05-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Please guys. Lets not pick a fight. Don't need that here.

He comes here with an insult in his first sentence….Seems to me it's him thats look for a scrap.

Texasteel
05-10-2014, 11:54 PM
He comes here with an insult in his first sentence….Seems to me it's him thats look for a scrap.

Doesn't mean we have to give it to him bud. I can handle this.

X-Terminator
05-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Doesn't mean we have to give it to him bud. I can handle this.

The best thing to do with him is to just ignore him. See how he likes talking to himself.

Mojouw
05-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Two things.

1. 1994 was 10 years ago and light years away in the evolution of NFL offensive concepts. That 1994 Lb'er corps would get eaten alive in a modern passing game.

2. Watch the horror show that was Vince Williams in coverage last year. Then tell us that the Shazier pick wasn't useful.

stillers4me
05-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm excited about the speed and athleticism of our picks. I think the FO gets what the new NFL has evolved into and have made moves to keep up with that yet at the same time stick with the Steelers identity......with a new twist. Just because the Steel Curtain concept has become a dinosaur in the new NFL, doesn't mean that we can't keep that identity along side some new tricks. Older people don't sleep as much as younger people. That means Coach Lebeau has spent many long nights cooking up some new defensives schemes. :lol: Can't wait to see what he comes up with for his new toys. And we still have Ben. The addition of Munchak warms my heart. If Ben can stay upright and stay healthy like last year, our offense is going to rock. I'm really excited to see what the next couple of years bring.

Congrats to all the new Steelers. Now get to work.

Craic
05-11-2014, 09:23 AM
dear lord....its only a matter of time before some asshole photoshops shazier's head on that picture :lol:

Figured there was no need to keep you in suspense . . . so, just for you, Psycho Ward!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/meraby/Untitled-3.png

stillers4me
05-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Figured there was no need to keep you in suspense . . . so, just for you, Psycho Ward!

:lol:

fansince'76
05-11-2014, 10:49 AM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/023/563/pirate_story.JPG

Dwinsgames
05-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Cowboys reportedly wanted Ryan Shazier at No. 16

1 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349573/comments/cowboys-reportedly-wanted-ryan-shazier-at-no-16)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/07/29/0ap1000000222748.jpg
http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/5.27/img/share-bar/print.png
http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/5.27/img/share-bar/g-plus.png
http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/5.27/img/share-bar/fb-like.png
http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/5.27/img/share-bar/share-button.png
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: May 11, 2014 at 05:59 p.m.
Updated: May 11, 2014 at 06:31 p.m.

Jerry Jones has acknowledged that new Cleveland Browns (http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE) quarterback Johnny Manziel (http://www.nfl.com/player/johnnymanziel/2543462/profile) was the No. 1 player (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349106/article/jerry-jones-johnny-manziel-was-no-1-on-my-board) on the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL)' draft board at No. 16 overall.

The story behind the story is that Manziel was only atop the Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL)' board because Pittsburgh had snatched linebacker Ryan Shazier (http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanshazier/2543486/profile) out from under them just minutes earlier.
Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) sources tell the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) were on the phone with Shazier's agent and were ready to select him (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/08/Steelers-pick-Ohio-State-OLB-Ryan-Shazier-in-first-round/stories/201405080328) over offensive lineman Zack Martin (http://www.nfl.com/player/zackmartin/2543480/profile) with the 16th pick (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348192/article/zack-martin-drafted-16th-overall-by-dallas-cowboys).
"I'm in the middle of writing a text that Dallas is going to take him (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/05/10/Ohio-State-LB-called-to-be-the-1/stories/201405100058) and the phone rings and it's the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT)," Vernon Shazier, Ryan's father, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Good thing I didn't send out that text ... I think he ended up in the right place."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349573/article/report-steelers-stole-ryan-shazier-from-cowboys

st33lersguy
05-11-2014, 05:45 PM
I have to wonder why Shazier wasn't rated higher. Very athletic and very productive, you would think his stock would have been a top 15 pick

Steelerette
05-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I have to wonder why Shazier wasn't rated higher. Very athletic and very productive, you would think his stock would have been a top 15 pick

He was our (and Jerry Jones') little secret.

Mojouw
05-11-2014, 05:51 PM

I'm guessing because the official NFL approved draft scouting handbook says that prototype ILB's have to be 10 pounds heavier - at least - before you can give them a top 20 grade.

Dwinsgames
05-11-2014, 05:59 PM

because draftnicks are the driving force of the " rankings " that the public see's and NONE of them are actual employees of NFL teams ...we know draft rankings by NON NFL teams , we never know the rankings of teams themselves , Prospects " falling " is another thing ... they are not falling they are just being selected where teams feel they should be

GBMelBlount
05-11-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing because the official NFL approved draft scouting handbook says that prototype ILB's have to be 10 pounds heavier - at least - before you can give them a top 20 grade.

Great point.

This type of narrow mindedness can create opportunities.

Jaucer
05-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Great point.

This type of narrow mindedness can create opportunities.

And not to mention, how many of the supposed draftnicks are employed by ESPN? They absolutely seem to loath the Big 10. Yes, I'm a Big 10 homer so I'll add this to clarify. The Big 10 has been down the last few years so the media has had every right to discredit them to a degree, so adding that to the equation, they don't get nearly the hype of the SEC which makes for less publicity/recognition/whatever you want to call it.

Psycho Ward 86
05-12-2014, 12:18 AM

lol im dying. if someone can shrink this down and get just the part of the picture with ryan shazier this is my new profile pic for sure. (Yes, i suck at using computers for simple tasks like this)

stillers4me
05-12-2014, 06:13 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/u9a2ymyn.jpg

HollywoodSteel
05-12-2014, 05:42 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/u9a2ymyn.jpg

He's on twitter. You should send it to him.

Craic
05-12-2014, 08:14 PM
He's on twitter. You should send it to him.

Naa, he's probably heard that a million times and is tired of it already. The pick I chose had the top of the Steelers' hat cut off too. Unfortunately. But I do like the turn of his head with the body. Should've put it a tad higher, though.

86WARD
05-13-2014, 07:57 PM
i really think they wanted fuller, but he went to the bears a pick before us, so they fixed ILBer. i warmed up to vince williams, but he isnt a 3 down LBer and he needed troys help in the box, so this pick makes a lot of since to me

There's much more speed on the field, on offense in this day and age and defenses are going to have to start moving side to side more which is why after a few days of thinking about it, I think the Steelers may have had their eyes on Shazier from the get go. I'm not buying that he was a back up plan to Fuller. Look at the Steelers draft and there's a whole lot ofmspeed in this class.

SteelerFanInStl
05-13-2014, 08:05 PM
If you believe the reports, we were looking for either Gilbert or Beckham with the first pick. They were both gone so we went with Shazier. I'm actually glad that we didn't get Beckham. I'd rather have Shazier than him in the first.

Dwinsgames
05-13-2014, 08:17 PM

I wont even begin to spend any time debating you as you would be unwilling to admit you are wrong even when proven as such ....

I will say just this .....

If you think so little of the opinions of everyone here , remind us WHY you come here again for those of us who either forgot or never gave a damn ....

that's all ...

86WARD
05-13-2014, 09:22 PM
I wont even begin to spend any time debating you as you would be unwilling to admit you are wrong even when proven as such ....

I will say just this .....

If you think so little of the opinions of everyone here , remind us WHY you come here again for those of us who either forgot or never gave a damn ....

that's all ...

http://tribweb.upickem.net/EngineContent/PITT/8315/PHOTO-8315-1310365P.jpg?ver=0

blackngldblood
05-13-2014, 11:56 PM
http://tribweb.upickem.net/EngineContent/PITT/8315/PHOTO-8315-1310365P.jpg?ver=0

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/14/anedura4.jpg

That's more like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
05-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Obviously this is all speculative, but bear with me for a second.

After a couple days to think about it and reading some stuff about Shazier and looking at some highlights (I know not the same as game film study) I had a thought.

Shazier is an upgrade at ILB and a plan for life after Polamalu. Not saying he is an immediately comparable player, but this is my line of thinking. Freakish athlete, ridiculous size/speed #'s and some are talking highly of his football IQ and instincts.

Seems this post starts thinking along similar lines - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/79030/ryan-shazier-transcends-position

Am I just going way to far overboard in my post-draft excitement?

Steelerette
05-14-2014, 12:07 PM
It could happen. I love Shazier at ILB but there are worse things that could happen, than a safety pairing of Shazier and Shamarko, and an ILB pairing of Timmons and Zumwalt. But if that's the plan why not take Ha'Sean?

Psycho Ward 86
05-14-2014, 12:26 PM
It could happen. I love Shazier at ILB but there are worse things that could happen, than a safety pairing of Shazier and Shamarko, and an ILB pairing of Timmons and Zumwalt. But if that's the plan why not take Ha'Sean?

theres a ton of depth at safety even if many of them are potentially gone in the not so distant future (polamalu, mitchell, allen, shamarko, golden, and according to discussion possibly shazier and spence). Thats way too much at safety already. Where would Hasean fit in? There are way too many potential starters in there. Hasean might not even be the best or 2nd best safety in the draft

Steelerette
05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Well yes I agree the Safety position is pretty crowded right now. What I was saying was, I guess Shazier at safety isn't the worst thing that could happen, but I'm really not expecting it.

st33lersguy
05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Safety depth is full. They are much better off keeping him at ILB where he can be a terror in the ILB cross blitz and effectively cover the tight ends

HollywoodSteel
05-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Yes, a picture paints a thousand words… or in this case, just one word. But it's the right word. :)

Mojouw
05-14-2014, 01:10 PM
To be clear, I did not mean that Shazier would play safety, but would fill the role of "random disruptor" that Polamalu currently does. It is fairly well known that when things are working well in the Steelers defense, Polamalu is free to abandon assignments and seek out an opportunity to make a play.

In a few years, Shazier's speed and if he proves to have a high football IQ may be able to do a similar thing from the LB level.

HollywoodSteel
05-14-2014, 01:19 PM
To be clear, I did not mean that Shazier would play safety, but would fill the role of "random disruptor" that Polamalu currently does. It is fairly well known that when things are working well in the Steelers defense, Polamalu is free to abandon assignments and seek out an opportunity to make a play.

In a few years, Shazier's speed and if he proves to have a high football IQ may be able to do a similar thing from the LB level.

I'm not going to pretend to know how free-lancey an ILB in a 3-4 gets to be. Could it potentially be like Troy, or are scripted assignments more important? I realize that Ryan has the athletic ability to guess and then make up ground very quickly if he guesses wrong, but would you put his potential football IQ up there with Troy's (in order to ultimately put the kind of trust in him that LeBeau puts in Troy)? I just don't know much about the kid other than his raw talent.

tube517
05-14-2014, 01:30 PM

Timmons has been in that role, too. I really cannot wait for the season to start.

Dwinsgames
08-19-2014, 01:48 PM
just a quick reminder on how many felt when we picked Shazam ... see lots of tunes changing after 1 pre season game , my guess he will change all the other minds by seasons end

polamalubeast
08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
The Steelers had several elite defense in the 2000s, even if sometimes the steelers were weak in the CB position...As I said yesterday, you can have an elite defense even if your CB are weak but the pass rush is the key

st33lersguy
08-19-2014, 01:59 PM
just a quick reminder on how many felt when we picked Shazam ... see lots of tunes changing after 1 pre season game , my guess he will change all the other minds by seasons end

Took me about 12 hours after the pick and 15 minutes of actually seeing him/thinking about what he could do to change my mind, but I would like to think that during that 12 hour window, my body was taken over by a Browns or Bengals fan and Buckeyes fan mad about Shazier going to an arch rival (sadly that's not the case however)

steelreserve
08-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Way too soon for I-told-you-sos. He has looked good so far, but we'll see. In terms of need vs. value, ILB was maybe #3 on my list going in. Stealing what looks like a plausible NT prospect on the last day of the draft took a little of the sting away, but IMO we still have problems we didn't address in order to take this guy, so we'll see. How well the makeshift DL and CBs hold up this year will have a lot to do with my opinion; it's not just about getting a solid player, it's also what you gave up to get him.

Dwinsgames
08-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Way too soon for I-told-you-sos. He has looked good so far, but we'll see. In terms of need vs. value, ILB was maybe #3 on my list going in. Stealing what looks like a plausible NT prospect on the last day of the draft took a little of the sting away, but IMO we still have problems we didn't address in order to take this guy, so we'll see. How well the makeshift DL and CBs hold up this year will have a lot to do with my opinion; it's not just about getting a solid player, it's also what you gave up to get him.

he was .....

1) best player available

2) a pos. of need

3) the side of the ball with the most need

3 of 3 in the crucial drafting criteria I look at

HollywoodSteel
08-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Fair enough, but I'll ask you this: At this point in time, after seeing what you've seen, would you trade him for any player who was available at that spot? And for whom? The fourth best CB in the draft, whomever that is? I think you have to admit, that's a trade you probably wouldn't make.

I'm not a college guru, so I learned about Shazier after we drafted him. I took no position at the time other than get a bit excited at what I heard some experts say about Shazier. I also heard his interview right after he was drafted (which I'll admit doesn't reveal much) and I liked the way he talked about football and his passion. He also coyly admitted that the Steelers were in fact his favorite team, although he didn't let himself predict that he'd actually end up there. I have yet to find anything I don't like about this kid.

Shoes
08-19-2014, 09:41 PM
I think its fun to go back and read these older threads.

fansince'76
08-19-2014, 09:51 PM
I think its fun to go back and read these older threads.

Agreed... :chuckle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoes
08-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Agreed... :chuckle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:toofunny: good old jb500ex!

fansince'76
08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
:toofunny: good old jb500ex!

Not one person in this thread compared our current LB corps to the '94 LBs.

What a dope. :lol:

Shoes
08-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Not one person in this thread compared our current LB corps to the '94 LBs.

What a dope. :lol:

That's worth two of these.. :toofunny: :toofunny:

st33lersguy
08-19-2014, 10:29 PM
jb500ex was most definitely a troll and probably an insecure ratturds fan

fansince'76
08-19-2014, 10:34 PM
jb500ex was most definitely a troll and probably an insecure ratturds fan

He still makes an appearance and drops a "pearl of wisdom" from time to time - we haven't banned him because he's a good source of comedy relief. :chuckle:

steelreserve
08-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Fair enough, but I'll ask you this: At this point in time, after seeing what you've seen, would you trade him for any player who was available at that spot? And for whom? The fourth best CB in the draft, whomever that is? I think you have to admit, that's a trade you probably wouldn't make.

I'm not a college guru, so I learned about Shazier after we drafted him. I took no position at the time other than get a bit excited at what I heard some experts say about Shazier. I also heard his interview right after he was drafted (which I'll admit doesn't reveal much) and I liked the way he talked about football and his passion. He also coyly admitted that the Steelers were in fact his favorite team, although he didn't let himself predict that he'd actually end up there. I have yet to find anything I don't like about this kid.

I don't know. I was hoping for some situation in which we got both Nix and a CB, although then we probably wouldn't have gotten Tuitt. It probably would've involved trading back a few picks in the first round for an extra low-2nd or high-3rd, then we could've gotten all three - but admittedly, we almost would've needed a crystal ball for that.

Basically, as I saw it, ILB was sort of a need, but thought we made an awesome pickup in Moats, and I was hoping he would improve the position on his own - plus we had the bonus wild-card up our sleeve with Spence. So it was kind of a redundant pick, and now we've got linebackers out the butt.

In hindsight, it was probably one of the better picks we could've made given who was available at CB and what we (didn't) know about how the rest of the draft would play out. It's just a little frustrating to see glaring needs go unaddressed, and I do have my standing beef with the tradition under Tomlin of EVERY draft going lineman-linebacker in the first two rounds, with almost no exceptions.

Steelerette
08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
I was a fan of Nix too. I went back and forth on Mike Evans but we didn't get the chance to pick him anyways. A few of the guys here had me sold on Fuller and it was a little disappointing he was taken, but mostly I was a fan of Nix.

Shazier was probably the right pick anyways. From all accounts he's going to add something special to the middle of our defense. If we have a play designed purely for thumping we can always do a package with whoever ends up as our ILB4, but I suppose that Shazier is going to be an improvement over what we've been used to with Foote even for just that sort of thing. I'm looking forward to the next several seasons having the element that he brings, and with any luck he'll be something really special and help soften that blow of losing one of the all-time great Safeties to retirement.

That said a real nose tackle, even if he's "only on the field for half the downs", is really the lynchpin when you're serious about a 3-4 defense. I suppose right now I'm really hoping that they're not simply content with McLendon and they have some idea that they're going to at least try fashioning Thomas (or Fangupo?!) into our NT while they work McCullers up to his potential. I don't hate McLendon and he's maybe even a premier starter in a 4-3, but he's just not a special nose tackle - he's "okay".

We're going to be very happy with Shazier. I suppose they must have had OLB in mind all along for Moats, but even if not, if you have a position where you have one solid starter and several options for the other side -- or even two solid starters, but then you have what you think might be a generational talent come to you in the draft, you take him. Otherwise you just may be passing on Dan Marino because you're good with Mark Malone. It's a bit early to call Shazier a generational talent, but they must have been thinking about what they wanted opposite Timmons, and decided that Shazier fit the profile completely. My only argument would be that to have this type of linebacker, you better get your NT right... so I'll be watching close what happens with Thomas, Fangupo, and Big Dan.

Mojouw
08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Needed a linebacker who could turn and run in coverage. Moats was brought in, although at the time I thought he was going to be an ILB, to provide insurance for Worilds leaving and Jones continuing to not develop. So the ILB options were simply hoping for a Spence miracle or that Williams suddenly got more athletic.

I never anticipated the pick and thought for sure it would be a CB. Maybe it would have, except their guy was gone.

Texasteel
08-21-2014, 11:40 AM
The pick of Shazier did suprise me a little. Not because of the player, but because I simply was not thinking LB at this point. Shazier was probably the best player on the board at that point, and his position was obviously one the Steelers wanted to upgrade. This kid is one hell of a player, and by all I know about him a good kid. He is smart and works hard, he has shown in the past that he is more interested in making the play than stats. IMO, he has a good chance of being the best LBer to come out of this draft. Before you count me as a bandwagoner, this is something I have said before the draft. The pick made sence, we got a good player, maybe a great player. Of course me being a Big Ten fan may slant my opition a little.

HollywoodSteel
08-21-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't know. I was hoping for some situation in which we got both Nix and a CB, although then we probably wouldn't have gotten Tuitt. It probably would've involved trading back a few picks in the first round for an extra low-2nd or high-3rd, then we could've gotten all three - but admittedly, we almost would've needed a crystal ball for that.

Basically, as I saw it, ILB was sort of a need, but thought we made an awesome pickup in Moats, and I was hoping he would improve the position on his own - plus we had the bonus wild-card up our sleeve with Spence. So it was kind of a redundant pick, and now we've got linebackers out the butt.

In hindsight, it was probably one of the better picks we could've made given who was available at CB and what we (didn't) know about how the rest of the draft would play out. It's just a little frustrating to see glaring needs go unaddressed, and I do have my standing beef with the tradition under Tomlin of EVERY draft going lineman-linebacker in the first two rounds, with almost no exceptions.

I understand what you're saying, but I really don't think this was a situation where Tomlin wanted another linebacker so he got one. If Fuller were on the board, he probably would have been the guy we nabbed. But once he was gone, they didn't get stupid and reach for the fourth best corner when a potential superstar was sitting there (yes, it's all potential on draft day).

Our corners are certainly our week spot, but like others are saying, it isn't the end of the world if our front 7 becomes a force to be reckoned with. It's really how we ended up being the defense we were in '08. Now, don't get me wrong, Ike was younger and probably better back then and so was Troy. But we never had anything but a mediocre #2 corner. We just had splash plays from our stars when we needed them. I'm absolutely not going to put this '14 defense in the same class with a squad that had Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Harrison, and Woodley (when he was actually looking like a superstar in the playoffs). We might be a year or two away from getting all the pieces, and we really need Jarvis Jones to take huge strides forward to even come close to filling the James Harrison role (and even in my pre-season optimistic Fantasy Land bubble, I'm not going to pretend that we'll ever see another 3-4 DE the likes of Aaron Smith in our lifetime). Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think Timmons (now in his prime) matched with a talent like Shazier might become as good as an '08 Timmons matched with Potsy. That's because I feel like Timmons has grown into the Potsy role and Shazier is actually at a better starting point than Timmons was in his first couple of years.

On the other side of the ball, call me crazy, but if we stay healthy (and Bell and Blount have their heads on straight) we might have an offense that can actually score a lot more points than ever before. If we stay healthy (and that's the absolute most important thing) this O-line might be the best we've seen in a long time. Remember how bad the O-line was in '08? Remember that Eagles game where Ben get sacked 73 times (rough estimate)? I just don't think we need our defense to carry us as much as we did then. We saw a glimpse of this offense matching points with another high powered offense last year in the Detroit game, and now that Ben seems to be on the same page with Haley, I think we can do a lot more of that. Bell and Blount could be the best tandem we've had since the Bus and Parker, so our run game should be solid. I'm feeling pretty good about Wheaton as a legit #2, Moore being pretty close to Cotchery as a slot guy, and hopefully Bryant will improve into a nice big, reliable target. I'm also bullish on this lightning fast rookie and the ways we might use him. I know I don't need to mention Heath, so I won't. And AB is just something special. I honestly think he might be the most underrated receiver in the NFL (probably because he doesn't fit the big, Megatron-type mold). But everything I've read about him reminds me of Jerry Rice; his work ethic, the way he practices. I think what really sold me on his greatness was the Cleveland game last year when I thought AB had finally met his match. I was really worried that Joe Haden would shut him down like he did to Megatron and A.J. Green twice! I read, and heard, a lot about Joe Haden leading up to that match up and how he has become a total student of the game. In an interview he said that his process involves as much film study as any corner in the league. He said that he was studying every route that AB has ever run, every tendency he has, how he's used in this offense (the one thing Haden admitted that was different about playing against Ben was when things broke down into a scramble drill). But one thing I'm certain of is that as hard as Haden worked that week in practice leading up to the game, AB worked harder. And he absolutely tore Haden up, and not on scramble drills. Early in the game he torched Haden on a deep route for a TD. He just outworked him and outplayed him down after down.

I know I've gone far off topic, but I just want to try to remember the optimism I had here on this thread once the season really gets under way, because any of you who read my posts on game days know how crazy angry and pessimistic I get. So at least I have couple more weeks of living in my fantasy world. :)