PDA

View Full Version : Let the qb controversy begin.

zulater
08-14-2010, 10:20 PM
So did Dennis Dixon do enough ( or Leftwich so little) that he should be given the next pre season start to see what he can do against first teamers?

Or do you stay with plan A and continue under the premise that Leftwich is the starter until Ben returns from suspension?

Nadroj 20
08-14-2010, 10:22 PM
My feeling are well known :chuckle: I think DD deserves to get a preseason start. You have another 3 games to give it to him and imo its something that needs to be at least looked at.

The Duke
08-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Let him start the next game and prove himself against 1st stringers

Ben should start the 3rd imo cause that's where the starters play the most

Byron was good enough today starting

polamalubeast
08-14-2010, 10:26 PM
This is probably the first time since 2002 that has a quarterback controversy.

Tomlin must go with the QB who will give her the best chance to win!

Chidi29
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Let's watch a little more than one game before we get too far ahead of ourselves. Give Leftwich a little more time. Let him get comfortable out there.

steeldevil
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Dixon should get a start in the preseason.

hotrodder07
08-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Going into the game, I was leaning towards Byron being the starter, but I wanted to give Dixon a chance to start either way. Now, they're pretty even in my mind. While I still believe Byron has the better arm, Dixon may give us a better chance to win a few games with his legs. It opens up our playbook, and makes the defense account for a running QB, especially on third downs. Lefty is more experienced, and will probably deliver a more accurate pass.

I say let Dixon start game 2, and see what he's got. Then, whoever Tomlin is leaning towards then starts game 3. I say we let Ben get most of his playing time in game 4.

All that said, I'm fully expecting Lefty to start game 2.

:noidea:

X-Terminator
We already saw a little bit of what Dixon can do against first string defenses in the Ravens game last year. Granted, he had little time to prepare, but he still has some experience, and under the circumstances, he played pretty well. However, I still don't think he's ready to be the starter yet as he doesn't make enough plays in the pocket IMO. He has to be able to throw the football from the pocket, or he'll just end up being another Kordell Stewart.

CanadianSteel
If its a true competition, like Steeler coaches and brass claim, then he should definately get s start or its not a real competition.... its a pecking order ?

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2010, 10:38 PM
This gets repetitive to say, but preseasons say little or nothing. One quarter of play (or less) is usually about what the starters get in preseason games. People have great games all the time, but a lot of times not through all 4 quarters. There is little to no continuity in the preseason so it really doesnt tell you as much as you would think.

Fun Fact: 2 years ago, the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason, but 0-16 in the regular season.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
If Tomlin is serious when he says the QB job is an open competetion then you basically have to start Dixon in the next game. You want to know who your starter is going to be going into the third preseason game so a decision needs to be made in the next two weeks.

GBMelBlount
08-14-2010, 10:49 PM
I want Dixon in there. He has a lot of potential.

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
If Tomlin is serious when he says the QB job is an open competetion then you basically have to start Dixon in the next game. You want to know who your starter is going to be going into the third preseason game so a decision needs to be made in the next two weeks.

No he doesnt. He never said that the starting QB job is gonna come down to the wire late into the preseason. Remember when Cowher tried to figure out who his starter was and distributed snaps throughout the entire offseason? Talk about self-destruct.

GoSlash27
08-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Lefty will be the #1 guy until Ben comes back. There is no controversy.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
No he doesnt. He never said that the starting QB job is gonna come down to the wire late into the preseason. Remember when Cowher tried to figure out who his starter was and distributed snaps throughout the entire offseason? Talk about self-destruct.

I never said late in the preseason. In fact I was implying the opposite. If the starting QB job is still up in the air, which all of Tomlin's words indicate it still is, then it would be in the teams best intrest to determine a starter by preseason game three. You know the game where the starting units get a majority of their preseason snaps. This way the team can gell and there is no question whether it will be Leftwhich or Dixon under centercome week one.

polamalubeast
08-14-2010, 10:59 PM
If our o-line is playing very poorly as evening, Dixon would be a better choice.

But if our o-line plays well, Leftwith would assuredly the best choice.

Steeltreal
08-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Let Lefty take the first string beating , but that deep throw to Wallace was extremely SLOW and that lock and load release is harder to watch than Ben taking sacks.

Dixon was the man and can make things happen. Double reverses, draws, play action, other teams should take interest with him being on the bench as a 3rd string all season its absurd to waste his talents.

BuddhaBus
08-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Dixon looks nice.

Mach1
08-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Ben is the starter! Controversy over! Anybody else is playing to be the back up.

ricardisimo
08-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Dixon's legs don't open up any playbook, folks. The playbook is shut. Bruce wouldn't know what to do with him anyhow, which is why all of the "open competition" talk was just hot air from Tomlin. Dixon will remain the emergency QB, which is unfortunate, I think. He's far and away the better athlete, and shows great promise as a QB.

ricardisimo
08-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Ben is the starter! Controversy over! Anybody else is playing to be the back up.

True, that.

Steeldude
08-15-2010, 02:55 AM
give all of the starts to leftwich. unless they feel they can showcase dixon in a ploy for a draft pick.

X-Terminator
08-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Dixon's legs don't open up any playbook, folks. The playbook is shut. Bruce wouldn't know what to do with him anyhow, which is why all of the "open competition" talk was just hot air from Tomlin. Dixon will remain the emergency QB, which is unfortunate, I think. He's far and away the better athlete, and shows great promise as a QB.

Being a great athlete doesn't necessarily make you a good QB.

Just saying.

Nadroj 20
08-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Just saying.

Experience doesnt necessarily make you a good QB either. :heh:

fansince'76
08-15-2010, 08:32 AM

Just saying.

This. See: Stewart, Kordell.

Nadroj 20
08-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I hate how DD is being compared to being a possible Kordell. It gets annoying fast.

Burghfan58
08-15-2010, 08:40 AM
The first string O-line needs to step it up a notch. They got manhandled last night. Until that changes it will be rough for whoever is at QB.

SMR
08-15-2010, 09:42 AM
My feeling are well known :chuckle: I think DD deserves to get a preseason start. You have another 3 games to give it to him and imo its something that needs to be at least looked at.

:thumbsup:

ALLD
08-15-2010, 09:45 AM
This is probably the first time since 2002 that has a quarterback controversy.

Tomlin must go with the QB who will give her the best chance to win!

Are you inferring that we should bring back Tommy Gun?!

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2010, 09:53 AM
I think that DD deserves a shot. He's an exciting player and makes things happen. As others said though, if our offensive line doesn't play better, it's not gonna matter who's in there.

hotrodder07
08-15-2010, 10:21 AM

Just saying.

You're right, it doesn't. But having a great athlete at QB could be a great thing when you only need him to play for a few games. He may not be a great passer, but his legs got us a few first downs last night, and while he didn't need to pass that often, he didn't make many mistakes. His yardage stats were greatly helped by runs after the catch, but he was still 6/7, which is great. He wasn't making mistakes, and when he got pressured, he took off and turned a possible negative play into a positive one. He didn't try to force any passes. He made good decisions out there, and I was impressed. All we need him to do is not lose us a game when Ben is out. If he makes good decisions like he did last night, he would be a great filler for Ben.

Now, Byron has the better arm, but the question is does a better arm alone give you a better chance to win? If the line breaks down when Lefty is QB, he has nothing to do, which we saw last night. We'll have to see more than just this one game to evaluate them better, but I'm sure the coaches will make the right decision. Only time will tell I guess.

Also, was I crazy, or did Dixon run an 'option' type play from the shotgun last night? It was the 2nd Quarter, and I think we needed about 2 yards for the first down. He handed it to Redman, but it looked like he would have had the option of keeping it if there was room to the outside. Anyone else notice that?

BuddhaBus
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
If the 1st team O-line doesn't tighten up, they'll have no choice but to put Dixon in for his mobility. Either that or our first 4 games are going to be rough. I think the line will settle down and get the job done though. It's nice to know we have a QB like Dixon waiting in the wings if we need him for his feet.

GoSlash27
08-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Here's the way I see it:
Lefty has won this battle, but Dixon has won the war. I can see why they go with Leftwich; They've got 4-6 games that will make or break the season. Lefty's a smart game manager and a solid veteran, while Dixon is still learning the system.
If you put Dixon in now, not only do you risk the season, but you risk his development.

So Lefty is #2 until Ben comes back. Afterwards, I predict that he will be immediately relegated to #3 and Dixon will become the backup.

The Duke
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I hate how DD is being compared to being a possible Kordell. It gets annoying fast.

His number doesn't help, lol. and neither does his willingness to run at every play

I love dixon, I honestly think he can be a future starter in this league. He showed a hell of a talent last night, but he still has details in his style of play that need fixing

We are talking here about a guy who will replace our franchise QB for FOUR games. Four games that could easily make or break our season. I want the guy that can calmly manage the game instead of the guy that can possibly lit up the scoreboard but at the same time is STILL going through growing pains of being a QB. Those growing pains could easily damage our season

If ben were out the whole season (knocks wood) then I'd say start dixon. See what we have in him and let him grow in a full 16 game schedule

But for four games I'd rather take the safe road with leftwich. Not spectacular like dennis can be, but reliable and good enough

But like I said before, if Tomlin decides dixon is going to be the starter for those four game I wouldn't be against in because it would mean he earned it, against all odds

just my 2 cents

Nadroj 20
08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
His number doesn't help, lol. and neither does his willingness to run at every play

I love dixon, I honestly think he can be a future starter in this league. He showed a hell of a talent last night, but he still has details in his style of play that need fixing

We are talking here about a guy who will replace our franchise QB for FOUR games. Four games that could easily make or break our season. I want the guy that can calmly manage the game instead of the guy that can possibly lit up the scoreboard but at the same time is STILL going through growing pains of being a QB. Those growing pains could easily damage our season

If ben were out the whole season (knocks wood) then I'd say start dixon. See what we have in him and let him grow in a full 16 game schedule

But for four games I'd rather take the safe road with leftwich. Not spectacular like dennis can be, but reliable and good enough

But like I said before, if Tomlin decides dixon is going to be the starter for those four game I wouldn't be against in because it would mean he earned it, against all odds

just my 2 cents

Sure he is very willing to run but he threw it 7 times and ran it 6. He averaged 5.2 yards a carry. When you are producing and it works why would people rather him be a pocket passer? The offense moved alot more effectively when he was in there...that is what matters. Yes it was against 2nd stringers I dont want anyone thinking im missing the obvious. But he was also playing with 2nd stringers.

He is also a very aware runner and isnt reckless, he gets to the sticks and gets out of bounce or will go down when he needs to.

Killer
08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
If the 1st team O-line doesn't tighten up, they'll have no choice but to put Dixon in for his mobility..

ain't that the truth - Leftwich is a statue

Let Dixon run!

"1st team" O-line looked like crap

Pouncey should start at center - he was mauling guys all night

BPS3akaWirels3
08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I say one more game and then talk..

zulater
08-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Duh! As if we don't know that.

But what Tomlin has to figure out is which of the other 3 qb's on the roster can best negotiate the Steelers through the first 4 games with the least amount of damage.

SirHulka
08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
It will be interesting to see who the #1 QB is next year.

SteelMember
08-16-2010, 08:39 AM

I don't know about that. I watched Bruce call about 4 formations using a reverse. They faked it 3 times, then ran it the last. I don't think those plays get called with Lefty in there.

An option would be another possible play. Definately wouldn't see Byron doing that.

We haven't see enough to make a definate decision yet, but Dennis should be given the chance to go with the 1st team offense... for more than one series.

One noticable difference you see from Dixon as opposed to Ben is that when he starts running, Dennis puts his head down and goes for the marker. Ben, as we all know keeps his eyes downfield, always looking for an outlet.

GoSlash27
08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
My only question is why we still have Batch. Not knocking him, but he and Leftwich are in the same job description.

Nadroj 20
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
My only question is why we still have Batch. Not knocking him, but he and Leftwich are in the same job description.

I think we still have Batch so we will have 3 QB's on the roster once the season starts and Ben is officially out. Once Ben comes back they will probably have to let him go.

siss
08-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Does anyone want to just ring Ben's neck? Seriously, we are stuck with these three clowns while Ben is in a forced vacation.
:censored::rant::yell::yell::frusty::frusty::frust y:

SteelCityMom
08-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I think we still have Batch so we will have 3 QB's on the roster once the season starts and Ben is officially out. Once Ben comes back they will probably have to let him go.

I have a feeling they'll be getting rid of Leftwich when Ben comes back and not Batch. Who knows though.

SteelCityMom
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Does anyone want to just ring Ben's neck? Seriously, we are stuck with these three clowns while Ben is in a forced vacation.

Yeah, I'm pissed...but it could be worse, A LOT worse. We're lucky to have Leftwich, Dixon and Batch behind Ben. Not a lot of teams can feel that confident in their backups.

Look what happened to the Colts the other night...god help them if anything ever happens to Manning cause Painter SUCKS.

Nadroj 20
08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a feeling they'll be getting rid of Leftwich when Ben comes back and not Batch. Who knows though.

Wow really? Why do you say that cause I wouldnt understand starting him (if he is the one who starts) then kicking him to the curb once Ben returns. What if Ben goes down during the season?

SteelCityMom
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow really? Why do you say that cause I wouldnt understand starting him (if he is the one who starts) then kicking him to the curb once Ben returns. What if Ben goes down during the season?

I don't know...just a feeling. I could be completely wrong too though lol. Maybe they won't let any of them go, but just send one of them down to the PS. I remember when St. Pierre was the 4th guy on the roster with Maddox, Ben and Batch ahead of him...so who knows. Better to have more depth than not even have one capable backup!

Texasteel
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM

I have learned to respect a ladies gut feeling, but I think that would surprise me a little. I've thought for a while that Batch was being kept here to eventually take his place on the coaching staff.

Nadroj 20
08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't know...just a feeling. I could be completely wrong too though lol. Maybe they won't let any of them go, but just send one of them down to the PS. I remember when St. Pierre was the 4th guy on the roster with Maddox, Ben and Batch ahead of him...so who knows. Better to have more depth than not even have one capable backup!

Very true, they could put one of them down on the PS. Like you said though who knows :thumbsup:

steelpride12
08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
See I just can't agree. Yes Batch has been a great back up to Ben over the year's but due to his age he has just been too injury prone and he is not getting any younger, sadly I still think Lefty will get the nod over Batch when Ben comes back.

Killer
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM

count your blessings, toots

We could be saying ........"Only 2 more years till Ben gets out of prison"

stlrtruck
08-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd like to see what Dixon can do with the first stringers. It is pre-season, and I know what Lefty can do with the team. He showed his skills two years ago when Ben and Batch when down. He played wonderfully, but after watching Dixon in last year's ratibird, there was something about the way he moved in that game and even Saturday that makes me want to see more. If Lefty already has the position, then let Dixon have the experience and the opportunity to at least make the coaches think!

WindyCitySteelerFan
08-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm on the Dixon bandwagon. He's fast, unpredictable.. I think the turnover issues could be fixed in time, all rookies have that problem...

SteelMember
08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Very true, they could put one of them down on the PS. Like you said though who knows :thumbsup:

I believe the only guy that has PS eligibility is maybe Dixon, and he'd last about 5 minutes on waivers before he made it there.

Nadroj 20
08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I believe the only guy that has PS eligibility is maybe Dixon, and he'd last about 5 minutes on waivers before he made it there.

ok so more then likely they will just cut batch.

SteelMember
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
ok so more then likely they will just cut batch.

That would be my guess... err, hope.

For the simple fact that if he's on the 53 man roster starting day 1, he would make 1 mil guaranteed no matter what after that.

Steel12
08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't see how Dixon could do any worse than Leftwich...especially considering how our line is still makeshift.

zulater
08-16-2010, 01:46 PM
It will be interesting to see who the #1 QB is next year.

Idiot, you're confusing the Steelers with your worthless wasteland at qb
in Cleveland.