PDA

View Full Version : Steelers in Posnanski's top 32 wide receivers

Akagi
08-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Swann at 24, Stallworth at 27. Sounds good to me.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/08/11/thirty-two-great-receivers-2/?eref=sihp

I know, no Hines Ward. I would have said something, but this guy wrote it best; I wonder who Justin is here?

Justin Vican: "As a Steeler fan, I appreciate the inclusion of Swanny & Stallworth on this list. However, I must put in a word for Hines Ward. Not only does he hold every Steeler receiving record (ahead of both Steeler HOF WRs), but he's probably the best slot receiver in the game in the last 20 years. One thing he has over anybody on this list is his ability to block. He is hands down the best blocking receiver ever. Period. End of discussion. If they kept stats for DDC (Dudes De-Cleated), and DKFO (Dudes Knocked the F--- Out) he would lead everyone on this list. He'd rank up there with the likes of Ray Lewis and Dick Butkus (yeah, I know they're not WRs ... that's my point)

bold added.

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Some of those arent even wide receivers....Shannon Sharpe, Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow.

A lot of wildly overrated ones: Lynn Swann (Yes, i said that, dont stone me lol), Biletnikoff (The Father of Stickum :chuckle:), Michael Irvin (He only played next to arguably the greatest Runningback, Fullback, and O-line of all time. Plus he had one of the NFL history's most accurate quarterbacks, Troy Aikman, throwing to him, yet he wasnt all that spectacular)

But that's just me. Not sure Hines belongs up there, blocking is one of the last things you look for in a wide receiver. Lets be serious, no ones going to draft a wide receiver in the 1st round because he is an impermeable blocker. But i think Hines would be a better choice than Swann.

Akagi
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I checked, it's receivers, not wide receivers. I just love the quote from the Steelers fanatic.

I'd take Ward over Swann or Stallworth. But Swann was beautiful to watch. And tough as nails in his own way.

Texasteel
08-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Not a lot I like about this list except for the #1 pick.

I would not take Swann, Ward, or more than half the names on this list over Stallworth.

tony hipchest
08-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Some of those arent even wide receivers....Shannon Sharpe, Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow.

A lot of wildly overrated ones: Lynn Swann (Yes, i said that, dont stone me lol), Biletnikoff (The Father of Stickum :chuckle:), Michael Irvin (He only played next to arguably the greatest Runningback, Fullback, and O-line of all time. Plus he had one of the NFL history's most accurate quarterbacks, Troy Aikman, throwing to him, yet he wasnt all that spectacular)

But that's just me. Not sure Hines belongs up there, blocking is one of the last things you look for in a wide receiver. Lets be serious, no ones going to draft a wide receiver in the 1st round because he is an impermeable blocker. But i think Hines would be a better choice than Swann.im curious to see who you would replace the 6 men (3wr & 3TE) you listed with.