PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Lions seem willing to trade up to draft Clemson's Sammy Watkins

Shoes
04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Is this the start of the itches?

If the Detroit Lions want to land the best receiver in the draft, Clemson's Sammy Watkins, they'll have to trade up to get him. And the growing sense in league circles is that's the all-in sort of,move the Lions, a team desperate to reverse its downtrodden luck could be willing to make.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140409/SPORTS01/304090089/1049/rss14

ALLD
04-09-2014, 07:57 PM
They might win the division if they can put up 24 points in the first half and hold on.

st33lersguy
04-09-2014, 08:21 PM
If they do that it won't matter one iota as long as that crap defense doesn't improve

st33lersguy
04-09-2014, 08:39 PM
I hope it does happen cause it means the Steelers are more likely to get one of the top two cornerbacks.

SteelerFanInStl
04-09-2014, 09:42 PM
They'd be very stupid to do that.

Psycho Ward 86
04-10-2014, 01:54 AM
I hope it does happen cause it means the Steelers are more likely to get one of the top two cornerbacks.

maybe, maybe not. depends on who they trade up with. if its with the falcons, browns, or jaguars, our chances of getting one of the top 2 (im assuming you mean gilbert and dennard, although imo its fuller and dennard) dont get any better imo

steelreserve
04-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Who even cares? None of this matters at all. That team will never be competing for a championship as long as it's spending half a salary cap on three players. And it looks like that's going to be happening for a long, long time.

Man, and I thought our cap situation was screwed ... I wonder what it's like knowing that a series of triple-Woodley contracts* means you're basically stuck playing out the string until 2018.

(*note: I mean in terms of money, not ability. Even though all three are solid contributors, the Johnson-Suh-Stafford contracts are so crippling financially that it barely even matters whether the players are any good).

ALLD
04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
The Raiders are worse, but the Lions have sucked since Barry Sanders left.

Shoes
04-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Here's a mock with the lions moving up.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24520877/nfl-mock-draft-lions-land-sammy-watkins-in-big-trade

LLT
04-11-2014, 07:17 AM

This.

X-Terminator
04-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Who even cares? None of this matters at all. That team will never be competing for a championship as long as it's spending half a salary cap on three players. And it looks like that's going to be happening for a long, long time.

Man, and I thought our cap situation was screwed ... I wonder what it's like knowing that a series of triple-Woodley contracts* means you're basically stuck playing out the string until 2018.

(*note: I mean in terms of money, not ability. Even though all three are solid contributors, the Johnson-Suh-Stafford contracts are so crippling financially that it barely even matters whether the players are any good).

Megatron is actually worth every penny of his salary. Suh and Stafford...not so much. Both underachieved mightily last season.

steelreserve
04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Megatron is actually worth every penny of his salary. Suh and Stafford...not so much. Both underachieved mightily last season.

It's not the player being worth the individual salary, since I agree - Johnson is a rare talent and is definitely worth it. It's the combined effect of having three salaries that large, no matter who the players are. Even if they were each #1 in the league at their positions, it would be a losing formula; three guys cannot carry an entire team.

Mojouw
04-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman beg to differ.

That being said, I totally agree. Even that famous cases of "triplets" had their largest success when big time players were imported to complement them -- Haley, Sanders, etc.

However, much of the NFL has been stuck trying to re-create that magic for a long time. How many times do you see people talking about a QB, a WR, and another player (recently a defensive player rather than a RB) as the pieces to championship puzzle.

Ask the Atlanta Falcons how that is working out I guess?

steelreserve
04-15-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't think the key to winning a championship is roster spots #1 through #3 (except for the quarterback). Everyone this side of Jacksonville has three star-quality players. It's more about spots #4 through #15 - you've got to get all of those right without paying any of them $10 million. And being in Detroit's position gives you SERIOUS problems trying to do that.