PDA

View Full Version : Are you old school or new school?

LLT
08-14-2010, 07:56 AM
At the start of every season I have high expectations for our team. I can't help but think that this "might be the year" to bring home another Lombardi. Heck...why not be optomistic? We have a storied history, a legacy of championships and we SHOULD expect more from our team then the average NFL fans.

With that expectation and with the memories of teams that span four different decades, I also can't help but compare todays Steelers to those teams of the past. Seriously, I cant help it. I can't look at Ward without a brief recollection of Swann. Every long pass by Ben seems to remind me of a similar pass by Bradshaw.

I have reached a point in my life in which I can call myself "old school". That is a hard thing to admit. I can remember being a teenager and talking about "current" players like Joe Greene and having an "old-schooler" tell me that I should have seen Ernie Stautner play. I can recall watching Mel Blount why the old-timers talked about Jack Butler.

But the years have flown by and now when I hear my son talk about James Harrison I have to tell him (and show him video) about Jack Lambert. When he talks about Bettis, we end up discussing Franco Harris. Yep...I'm an old-schooler now. But thats okay...because I know that I can be nostalgic about the players of my youth and still be optimistic about the players today. The ones that might bring home #7, because after all.... this "might be the year".

-LLT

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Great read LLT, as usual....I too consider my self Old School, though this is more by choice. I'm only 30 so I missed the great teams of the 70s, but I grew up listening to my father talk nonstop about them. I have seen every highlight, every special, and every full length game of the 70s as I could. I realize that's not the same, and I wish I would have been around to watch them play, but for some reason I feel like I fit in better with the teams of yesteryear....I'm an old soul I guess. You know that question that some people always ask, "if you had a time machine, what would you use it to see?"...my answer has always been the same, even as a young kid, I would use it to go back to three rivers stadium, and watch Jack Lambert play.

Kaeg
08-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I'd have to say "New School" for a couple of reasons. I didn't REALLY start getting heavy into football until maybe late 80's/early 90's. I watched a bit with Noll around but most memories are from Cowher on up. I also think I have some kind of "younger" person's Alzheimer's. Hehe. At the old age of 46. Memories fade for me on a scale that I absolutely DO NOT like. But really, I've been that way for a long time. Not just since my 40's. I remember bigger things like the '95 SB pretty well, although details are few. Even the beginning of this decade is fuzzy for me. No recall of Hines or Troy being drafted. (Ok, maybe Hines was drafted before this decade.) Can't really remember them in rookie years. For some reason, the Ben draft still holds very clear for me. Even him waiting around longer than he wanted to get picked. So I may be a "New Schooler" for the rest of my life because it's so much easier to remember the current players! Haha. Maybe I need medication.........

Burghfan58
08-14-2010, 08:14 AM
I guess by age I'm an old schooler. Over the last 36 years I,ve seen most of the regular season games, all 6 Super Bowls and all the playoff games to go with them. When I watch clips from the 70's I still get goosebumps. That being said I enjoy watching new players develop and just as enthusiastic about the new blood as I was in the 70's. I'm even excited to watch the first preseason game tonight. Let's tee it up and get another season underway.
:tt02:

LLT
08-14-2010, 08:16 AM
... "if you had a time machine, what would you use it to see?"...my answer has always been the same, even as a young kid, I would use it to go back to three rivers stadium, and watch Jack Lambert play.

Brother...if your time machine seats two...I'm going with ya!!!!

Akagi
08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
DEFINITELY old school. Yeah, I walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways. But us old school guys, we're also smart enough to see just how great some of these new school guys are. James Harrison would DEMAND time on the 1976 team. Imagine Lambert, Ham... and HARRISON. And imagine Bradshaw with Swann, Stallworth... and Heath Miller! Blount, Shell, JT Thomas... and TROY POLAMALU. Harris and Bettis instead of Harris and Bleier. John Banaczak... or BIG SNACK. Or Aaron Smith.

Devilsdancefloor
08-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Better make that machine with a few more seats cause i am gonna go with you as well!

Old school for sure

LLT
08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Better make that machine with a few more seats cause i am gonna go with you as well!

A time....bus?

LLT
08-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I guess by age I'm an old schooler. Over the last 36 years I,ve seen most of the regular season games, all 6 Super Bowls and all the playoff games to go with them. When I watch clips from the 70's I still get goosebumps. That being said I enjoy watching new players develop and just as enthusiastic about the new blood as I was in the 70's. I'm even excited to watch the first preseason game tonight. Let's tee it up and get another season underway.
:tt02:

I completely understand what you are saying. I am a HUGE draftnik and start getting excited towards the end of the college football season in regards to what players we might end up with. I love our players of the 70's but player drafting and development is a BLAST to watch.

HometownGal
08-14-2010, 08:43 AM

Old school for sure

Let's get a time-quad! :yay3:

I'm definitely old school and definitely in line with LLT and the other "old schoolers" here - when I'm watching Steelers games sometimes, I have flashbacks of Brad, Swanny, Stallworth on the O when I'd see Ben throw a bomb to Santo or Wallace or Franco take off down the field and bowl over anyone in his path. On the D - I think back to the days of Mean Joe, Blount, Lambert, Ham, Fats and LC when I watch Troy, Clarkie, Big Snack, James, Wood and Aaron and our modern day D working their magic. :rockon: I long for the days at TRS where the crowd was sooooooo loud that you couldn't hear the person next to you!

Those days are gone but the memories of those phenomenal players and seasons and the constant adrenaline rushes those guys gave us will never be forgotten. :tt02:

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 08:44 AM
A time....bus?

Haha, you beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing. Man, I would give anything to see them all play live. I've always envied my father, who is as Pittsburgh as you can get, he got to see all those games, and has been to three rivers in the 70s to watch them play. My earliest memories are of my dad taking me to three rivers to watch a game, my first game was against the oilers....I just think I was born about 20 years too late

LLT
08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Let's get a time-quad! :yay3:

I'm definitely old school and definitely in line with LLT and the other "old schoolers" here - when I'm watching Steelers games sometimes, I have flashbacks of Brad, Swanny, Stallworth on the O when I'd see Ben throw a bomb to Santo or Wallace or Franco take off down the field and bowl over anyone in his path. On the D - I think back to the days of Mean Joe, Blount, Lambert, Ham, Fats and LC when I watch Troy, Clarkie, Big Snack, James, Wood and Aaron and our modern day D working their magic. :rockon: I long for the days at TRS where the crowd was sooooooo loud that you couldn't hear the person next to you!

Those days are gone but the memories of those phenomenal players and seasons and the constant adrenaline rushes those guys gave us will never be forgotten. :tt02:

Marianne...correct me if I am wrong...but weren't you THERE and watched the immaculate reception live and in person?

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Marianne...correct me if I am wrong...but weren't you THERE and watched the immaculate reception live and in person?

NO WAY!!!! If that's true, Marianne is my new hero!

Butch
08-14-2010, 08:52 AM
HMMM well I definitely remember my 70's Steelers who are the reason I am a Steeler fan to begin with, but I also remember the 08 Steelers. IMHO the 08 Steeler season was an awesome season. I remember all the close games where the Defense would keep us in it all game long and then late in the games Ben would perform his magic and we would pull out a win. The playoff run was also amazing and nobody will ever forget that Superbowl. To me that season ranks up there with the 76 season. I also know that what we had in the 70's was special and we won't see that again due to free agency so that also makes me feel great about that 08 team. The 05 team won in a pretty special way too and the 04 team was robbed and the NFL covered it up.

So I stand firmly in the middle on this one, but would love to get a ride on the that bus. Should we consider getting a Time Train like they had in back to the future??? We may need it by the time this thread is over.

HometownGal
08-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Yep - I sure was! Dad had season tix since the 60's and I was there with him and it was so cold that day that I couldn't even feel my fingers! A lot of fans had already left or were in the process of leaving when that ball bounced off Tatum and Franco scooped it up and took off for the EZ, but my Dad would NEVER - EVER - leave a game until the final second had ticked off that clock and I feel blessed and honored to have been there. :thumbsup:

LLT
08-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Yep - I sure was! Dad had season tix since the 60's and I was there with him and it was so cold that day that I couldn't even feel my fingers! A lot of fans had already left or were in the process of leaving when that ball bounced off Tatum and Franco scooped it up and took off for the EZ, but my Dad would NEVER - EVER - leave a game until the final second had ticked off that clock and I feel blessed and honored to have been there. :thumbsup:

Rep points for being part of LEGENDARY history.

(...and I'm jealous also!!)

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 08:58 AM

It's official.....you're my hero

SteelerSal
08-14-2010, 09:10 AM

I just love it!! I knew that there had to be an angel there on that day and you just confirmed it!!

Butch
08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
I just love it!! I knew that there had to be an angel there on that day and you just confirmed it!!

LOL yeah an angel with a louiville slugger

HometownGal
08-14-2010, 09:34 AM
LOL yeah an angel with a louiville slugger

http://bitemyfriend.com/wp-content/uploads/pant.jpg

;) :heh: ;)

SteelerSal
08-14-2010, 09:37 AM

I just choked on my coffee..

Butch
08-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm speechless but appreciate the offer none the less

Stlrs4Life
08-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Great post LLT. Feel the same. I'm old school.

Stlrs4Life
08-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Me 3. Don't leave without me!

Stlrs4Life
08-14-2010, 09:48 AM

OK, ....................

LLT
08-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I just choked on my coffee..

I had to go get a cherry danish....:huh:

SteelCityMom
08-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I guess I would have to say I'm new school as well (though it would be old school to my daughter!). Not by choice, but by fate I suppose. Being 30, I grew up listening to my Dad's and brothers stories about the 70's Steelers...of which my Dad and oldest brother saw a lot of. I was always jealous of that, but enjoyed the new history being made just as much...and maybe appreciated it more.

I do love watching old games and SB's and always wish I could have seen at least one, but I'm happy to just be able to pass on the traditions to the little one!

Chidi29
08-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Due to age, I have to be new school. But I love listening/watching the old players and appreciate what they have done for this franchise. And it's not just the 1970's dynasty. It's about the guys from when the franchise just started out and couldn't get off the ground. The Dudley's, Whizzer White's (even if it was for just one year), Layne's, Martha's, Dial, Chandonis, Stautner, the list goes on and one. To me, those guys deserve as much praise as anyone else in franchise history.

O'Malley
08-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I'd like to consider myself old school but being born in 77 I guess that would make me new school.

LLT
08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd like to consider myself old school but being born in 77 I guess that would make me new school.

As Hines said....you are young, but have an "old soul"

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Who?? Hines Ward?? :chuckle:

LLT
08-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Who?? Hines Ward?? :chuckle:

c'mere....:buttkick:

SMR
08-14-2010, 12:47 PM
c'mere....:buttkick:

Appropriate response! lol I'm old school, the NFL was a REAL man's game back in that day!!

SteelerSal
08-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm old school, the NFL was a REAL man's game back in that day!!

You got that right! I'm proud to be old school and I'm graeatful that I got to witness the 70's Dynasty teams first hand.

solardave
08-14-2010, 01:04 PM
At the start of every season I have high expectations for our team. I can't help but think that this "might be the year" to bring home another Lombardi. Heck...why not be optomistic? We have a storied history, a legacy of championships and we SHOULD expect more from our team then the average NFL fans.

With that expectation and with the memories of teams that span four different decades, I also can't help but compare todays Steelers to those teams of the past. Seriously, I cant help it. I can't look at Ward without a brief recollection of Swann. Every long pass by Ben seems to remind me of a similar pass by Bradshaw.

I have reached a point in my life in which I can call myself "old school". That is a hard thing to admit. I can remember being a teenager and talking about "current" players like Joe Greene and having an "old-schooler" tell me that I should have seen Ernie Stautner play. I can recall watching Mel Blount why the old-timers talked about Jack Butler.

But the years have flown by and now when I hear my son talk about James Harrison I have to tell him (and show him video) about Jack Lambert. When he talks about Bettis, we end up discussing Franco Harris. Yep...I'm an old-schooler now. But thats okay...because I know that I can be nostalgic about the players of my youth and still be optimistic about the players today. The ones that might bring home #7, because after all.... this "might be the year".

-LLT I'm right there with you Brother. I couldn't put it any better!!, but I'll throw this in. I sometimes miss the old but know that the 4/3 could not have worked without Mean Joe,LC,Dwight,Ernie and John (Banasczak). We have had the luxury of THE BEST DAMN LBs to ever play the game wear Black and Gold.Yesterday's and today's.We have more guys who should be in the HOF than most teams have in. I'll quote Lambert hear with a twist: "If I could live my life over again I'd be a football fan and you DAMN WELL BETTER BELIEVE I'D BE A PITTSBURGH STEELER FAN"!!!!!!! No other team compares.

SteelerEmpire
08-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm an old schooler. I can remember the overwhelming hatered for the 70's Steelers in my part of the country when they were winning those super bowls. For those who aren't familiar, Oklahoma is basically a satellite of Texas. So this is Cowboys country. Nobody could figure out why the Steelers could always beat "America's Team"..... priceless memories...

SteelerFanInStl
08-14-2010, 01:09 PM
No doubt I'm old school. I've been a Steelers fan for about 35 years. I love the physicality of the defense hitting people and the RBs running over people. I much prefer smash mouth football. My favorite Steeler players have always been on the defensive side of the ball and I don't see that changing any time soon.

stillers4me
08-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I watched football back then, but my dad was a not a sports enthusiast at all. He was a fisherman and outdoorsman so most of my sports exposure came through school. I didn't watch the games through the same eyes that watch it now. I saw the first four superbowls but really only actually remember watching the 4th one as a young adult. I wish I could go back and watch those old game and classic players the way I watch our team now.

So I guess that makes me "new school" with a yearning to re-experience "old school". Now I'm confused............

LLT
08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
No doubt I'm old school. I've been a Steelers fan for about 35 years. I love the physicality of the defense hitting people and the RBs running over people. I much prefer smash mouth football. My favorite Steeler players have always been on the defensive side of the ball and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I love me some trench warfare...smashmouth football is the best.

Everytime you post I think about The Crossing and The Fatted Calf....(seriously good chow). My nephew used to live near Clayton.

LLT
08-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I watched football back then, but my dad was a not a sports enthusiast at all. He was a fisherman and outdoorsman so most of my sports exposure came through school. I didn't watch the games through the same eyes that watch it now. I saw the first four superbowls but really only actually remember watching the 4th one as a young adult. I wish I could go back and watch those old game and classic players the way I watch our team now.

So I guess that makes me "new school" with a yearning to re-experience "old school". Now I'm confused............

Hmmmmm....

If you want to watch all our Superbowls, but cant decide if you lean one way or the other....does that make you bi-SIXual?

stillers4me
08-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Hmmmmm....

If you want to watch all our Superbowls, but cant decide if you lean one way or the other....does that make you bi-SIXual?
:chuckle: You got me figured out. I tried to hide it, but it seems I can't get anything by you. :toofunny:

GoSlash27
08-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I am an unapologetic old-schooler. The Stillerz in the '70s were the standard by which all teams are judged.

Texasteel
08-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Everything I got is old, but it all still works real good. No surprise here, I'm old school. There will never be another team like the ones in the 70s.

Aussie_steeler
08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Can I propose a new term.......... I think I am a MIDDLE SCHOOLER..............I sit right in the middle of the two eras

Too late for the Chuck Noll era (only just), Well before the Tomlin Era. I started in 1993 and enjoyed the Cowher era from its infancy through to its success.

Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, Dirt Dawson, Barry Foster, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Merrill Hoge, Hardy Nickerson, Joel Steed were the names that drew me into supporting this legendary franchise.

Us Middle Schoolers are the ones who have been "Lost in the Transition". I have been fortunate to see two superbowl victories, one painful loss and many AFC Champ shortcomings. Fortunately Ive never had to experience a run of outs where your true support is tested.

That is why I respect, admire and in a way am jealous of the old schoolers. THey have been through the true highs and lows of steelers football and at the end of it they have been rewarded with some of the greatest memories a NFL fan could ever have.

I know that I will be around long enough to one day be considered an OLD SCHOOL STEELERS FAN.

No lets see some teeth fly this season - and hopefully some of those nice WHODEY gold ones.

HometownGal
08-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm an old schooler. I can remember the overwhelming hatered for the 70's Steelers in my part of the country when they were winning those super bowls. For those who aren't familiar, Oklahoma is basically a satellite of Texas. So this is Cowboys country. Nobody could figure out why the Steelers could always beat "America's Team"..... priceless memories...

Kansas is a teet on the body of the Cryboys as well. My first husband and I lived in Wichita the first 18 months of our marriage (the only time other than birth that I've ever lived out of the Burgh) and one of our cars got trashed in the back parking lot of our apartment building after Super Bowl XIII as we still had a PA license plate and 2 Steelers bumper stickers on that car. Sore losing jagoffs. :mad: I went to work at Wesley Medical Center the next morning (I was a nurse) and during my break, made a small sign our of cardboard that said "Up Yours Cryboys Fans" with a huge black and yellow smiley and taped it good on the trunk of my car. That sign lasted about 3 weeks until some pissed off Cryboys fan pulled it off my car in the hospital parking garage and tore it into a billion itty bitty pieces. :lol: :thumbsup:

tihmtahm
08-14-2010, 05:54 PM

I kneel and bow before you... I'm not worthy!

I'm definitely old school. I became a Steelers fan at age 9 in 1974. When I was in my 1st foster home in Los Angeles, our church was right next door to our house (I lived with a minister). I would rush home every Sunday to see the score and then run back to the church to tell my friend Ron and his wife (who were Pittsburgh natives). He thought it was the coolest thing that I was a Steelers fan and so far from the 'Burgh.

That being said, I love the Bus, Troy, Harrison, Ward, and a whole host of the newer guys. They all represent to me the heart and soul of Steeler days of yore. As long as we have the Rooney's at the helm, the core values will always be represented.

P.S.

Scootch over... I'm going along on that time bus, train, or whatever contraption... and I'm bringin' the wife and kids!

X-Terminator
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I became a fan in 1979 at the ripe old age of 5, so unfortunately I missed out on the dynasty years only because I was too young to remember them. But I'm without a doubt an old school fan. Football today is nothing like it was in 1990, much less 1970.

LLT
08-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Can I propose a new term.......... I think I am a MIDDLE SCHOOLER..............I sit right in the middle of the two eras

Too late for the Chuck Noll era (only just), Well before the Tomlin Era. I started in 1993 and enjoyed the Cowher era from its infancy through to its success.

Rod Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, Dirt Dawson, Barry Foster, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Merrill Hoge, Hardy Nickerson, Joel Steed were the names that drew me into supporting this legendary franchise.

Us Middle Schoolers are the ones who have been "Lost in the Transition". I have been fortunate to see two superbowl victories, one painful loss and many AFC Champ shortcomings. Fortunately Ive never had to experience a run of outs where your true support is tested.

That is why I respect, admire and in a way am jealous of the old schoolers. THey have been through the true highs and lows of steelers football and at the end of it they have been rewarded with some of the greatest memories a NFL fan could ever have.

I know that I will be around long enough to one day be considered an OLD SCHOOL STEELERS FAN.

No lets see some teeth fly this season - and hopefully some of those nice WHODEY gold ones.

Great post!!!

HometownGal
08-15-2010, 07:30 AM
I became a fan in 1979 at the ripe old age of 5, so unfortunately I missed out on the dynasty years only because I was too young to remember them. But I'm without a doubt an old school fan. Football today is nothing like it was in 1990, much less 1970.

That's because Pete Rozelle allowed it to be a man's game - a fierce physical battle won or lost in the trenches, unlike this limp wristed fairy douchenozzle Commish the NFL has now.

Galax Steeler
08-15-2010, 07:33 AM

That is basically the way I was been a fan as long as I can remember. So without a dought I am old school.

Texasteel
08-15-2010, 07:52 AM
The 70s team just seemed to have more character. We had a man that shaved his hair into the shape of an arrow, and DL name " THE STEEL CURTAIN" We had a QB that had one philosophy, " I'll throw the thing, you catch it" and two WR that seemed to thrive on that philosophy. The offense said "this is what we are going to do, see if you can stop it", and a defense that said " I don't care what you do, you ain't goin no place". Names like Mean Joe, Frenchy, and Franco's Army. We had real rivalries with the Black Hearted Raiders, and of course those GD cowboys. And all owned by the greatest man to draw a breath.

Maybe it was the fact that we had little to no success before, it was fun to watch the lovable losers turn into the most feared team in football. The 70s teams seem more a part of us. Like the neighbor down the street. They seemed to enjoy not only the game, but the fans. We weren't just dollars to them, we were friend they would fight their hearts out for.

I know I sound like just another old guy looking back and see things the way he wants to, and that just may be what I am, but that was the team I fell in love with. The team that started a love affair that has lasted for over 35 years. It will always by MY TEAM.

Yes, I would say I am old school.

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I love me some trench warfare...smashmouth football is the best.

Everytime you post I think about The Crossing and The Fatted Calf....(seriously good chow). My nephew used to live near Clayton.

Clayton is a very nice area. I haven't eaten at either one of those places though. I live out in west county so I don't get over that way too often. I'll have to put them on my list.

Indo
08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
A time....bus?

A Time Train----

I'm on it!

Old School for sure.

I STILL think Lambert was and IS the best to play the Game. Ever.
(Not the biggest hitter. Not the Biggest LB. Just had smarts and Talent that stretched from here to Forever. It's why I like Troy so much. Same type of God-given, unteachable understanding of the Game coupled with a desire to be The Best)

Indo
08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
The 70s team just seemed to have more character. We had a man that shaved his hair into the shape of an arrow, and DL name " THE STEEL CURTAIN" We had a QB that had one philosophy, " I'll throw the thing, you catch it" and two WR that seemed to thrive on that philosophy. The offense said "this is what we are going to do, see if you can stop it", and a defense that said " I don't care what you do, you ain't goin no place". Names like Mean Joe, Frenchy, and Franco's Army. We had real rivalries with the Black Hearted Raiders, and of course those GD cowboys. And all owned by the greatest man to draw a breath.

Maybe it was the fact that we had little to no success before, it was fun to watch the lovable losers turn into the most feared team in football. The 70s teams seem more a part of us. Like the neighbor down the street. They seemed to enjoy not only the game, but the fans. We weren't just dollars to them, we were friend they would fight their hearts out for.

I know I sound like just another old guy looking back and see things the way he wants to, and that just may be what I am, but that was the team I fell in love with. The team that started a love affair that has lasted for over 35 years. It will always by MY TEAM.

Yes, I would say I am old school.

Excellent Post.

I remember being in Church on Sundays---Mass (Catholic) was at noon and kick-off was at 1pm. Before EVERY Homily (for those who aren't Catholic, that's when the Priest stands up and gives a Sermon about whatever points he wants to make that day) the Priest's first words were, "Don't worry, I'll have all of you home before kick-off". Church would end around 12:40 (instead of 1pm), and we would all be home before kick-off!

Indo
08-16-2010, 10:03 AM
HTG
I had no idea you actually saw the Immaculate Reception.
Here's my respose to that...it starts around 10 seconds into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0

And Kudos to your dad for never leaving a game until the last tick of the clock---I also believe that philosophy because It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over. Franco proved that on that cold day...

Oldschool
08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Old School

kittenfantastico76
08-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Can I claim myself as "middle school"? I remember all the years and all the talk about the legend that is the Steelers but I will bet he first to admit I started watching them in high school and claimed them as my team shortly after graduation in 1994). It wasn't until then that I truly got into football. So I guess you could say I'm middle of the road.

I guess I should prepare for my voice to change soon when I yell GO STEELERS and my face to break out in Steeler Pride ;) Either way old school or new, we all want the same outcome!

GO STEELERS!!! ox

stlrtruck
08-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Can I claim myself as "middle school"? I remember all the years and all the talk about the legend that is the Steelers but I will bet he first to admit I started watching them in high school and claimed them as my team shortly after graduation in 1994). It wasn't until then that I truly got into football. So I guess you could say I'm middle of the road.

I guess I should prepare for my voice to change soon when I yell GO STEELERS and my face to break out in Steeler Pride ;) Either way old school or new, we all want the same outcome!

GO STEELERS!!! ox

I was thinking the same thing. I'm old enough, barely, to remember the team's from the 70's, but the majority of my Steelers experience comes from the 80's and up. I wasn't much in to the drafts back then, because it wasn't on tv then so I only had a chance to learn the new Steelers players by watching games and living close to Baltimore the headlines were either colts (before the midnight fiasco), redskins, or ratbirds (after the move in from clown town).

But if I had to choose, I'd say I'm more Old Skool, than I am new. Hearing the stories from some of the older fans as well as some of the players and coaches...I long for the team to return to those roots!

SteelMember
08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd say I'm "old school", but I already know how all those games turn out. :chuckle: As great as they were/still are, I still get that giddy feeling in anticipation of every game knowing "today is a new day".

I have enjoyed many players on this 35+ year ride, and I'm sure there will be more. And as long as there's still guys suiting up in the Black 'n Gold, donning the hypocycloids and calling themselves the Pittsburgh Steelers... I will always be a fan.

GO STEELERS!

:tt03: