View Full Version : 2014 Regular Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Boh
03-30-2014, 11:45 PM
2014 Regular Season

Opening day 2014 - 3/31/14

http://i.imgur.com/poEsveR.png

Pitching Duel- Samardzija vs Liriano

Good luck to the Pirates this season. Hope you guys make the Playoffs again. Baseball is back!

as for me, ill be in Downtown Baltimore at 7am getting shitfaced. For anyone who cares, Sox @ Orioles - 3PM ESPN2

X-Terminator
03-30-2014, 11:48 PM
Well, with RF, 1B and starting pitching being question marks going into the season, I don't see the Bucs making it back to the playoffs. I do think they will have another winning season, though. I'm thinking 86 wins.

Regardless, now that the stink of 20 straight losing seasons is gone, I can get back to simply enjoying baseball and the Bucs, regardless of what happens.

stillers4me
03-31-2014, 05:27 AM
Wow. A new era in Pittsburgh.....expectations on opening day! Love it! I'm off this afternoon and will have to game on Root Sports Pittsburgh via Directv...woot!

Hindes204
03-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Baseball is back!!! Always look forward to opening day, even when the pirates sucked. It's funny to hear people back home talk, they are all fans again all of the sudden, lol

X-Terminator
03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Baseball is back!!! Always look forward to opening day, even when the pirates sucked. It's funny to hear people back home talk, they are all fans again all of the sudden, lol

20 years between winning seasons and finally having a lot of talent in the organization, I can excuse them for getting back on the bandwagon.

Hindes204
03-31-2014, 01:54 PM
20 years between winning seasons and finally having a lot of talent in the organization, I can excuse them for getting back on the bandwagon.

I actually agree with you. I got pissed at first when everyone became a fan again last year, but after putting some thought into it, I really don't blame them for leaving the team hanging. 20 years is a long time to hang on.

stillers4me
03-31-2014, 03:35 PM
I waited all winter to say "Raise it!"

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

X-Terminator
03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
That was a typical Pirates game. Exceptional pitching, not much offense, but they found a way to get it done. Nice win on opening day.

Hindes204
03-31-2014, 04:32 PM
Walk off in the 10th, they gutted that one out. Raise it!!!

Boh
03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
cant remember how i made it home, but what a great day.

Count Steeler
03-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Blue Jays are off to a stunning start. Lose 9-2 to the Rays. 161 to go.

X-Terminator
04-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Bucs pull out another nailbiter - 4-3 in 16 innings. Tony Sanchez with the walk-off hit, and Stolmy Pimentel gets his first ML win.

Say what you want about the lack of offense (and 2 games in, I've been reading/hearing plenty of complaints already), this team battles to the bitter end. That's really all you can ask of them.

Hindes204
04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Bucs pull out another nailbiter - 4-3 in 16 innings. Tony Sanchez with the walk-off hit, and Stolmy Pimentel gets his first ML win.

Say what you want about the lack of offense (and 2 games in, I've been reading/hearing plenty of complaints already), this team battles to the bitter end. That's really all you can ask of them.

Exactly! It's good to see them not give up and keep on fighting. The offense will come around

steelerdude15
04-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party, but the Pirates are off to go start record wise. Tough match up coming this weekend when St. Louis pays a visit. I'm excited to see Cole pitch tonight.

Hindes204
04-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Offense is coming alive tonight. Pedro 2-2 with 2 homers, ishikawa added a hr. And Martin just made the highlight reels with a spectacular throw to first after a bunt

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnd shit....

cole just gave up a 2 run hr

Hindes204
04-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Offense really coming together tonight. Cole had a good night. Waiting on Cutch to do something. 6-2 in the 7th, men on the corners with Cutch at the plate

salamander
04-04-2014, 11:52 PM
12-2 final. The bats really came alive tonight.

Hindes204
04-05-2014, 05:18 AM
16 hits, 12 runs.....sure hope this shuts people up about the offense

zulater
04-05-2014, 09:51 AM
16 hits, 12 runs.....sure hope this shuts people up about the offense

That's one game. 3 games they struggled to score. It remains to be seen what sort of hitting team they're going to be. You know Cutch will heat up soon enough. Most of the others, with the possible exception of Marte tend to run cold and hot. Pedro might well be the determining factor what sort of year this team has. If he can jump his average up to or above 270 while maintaining his power numbers then I think this team will remain in the playoff hunt all year.

Also encouraging is Wandy's first start. If you can get 180+ solid innings out of him and your other 3 top starters do what's expected of them then this team will avoid any long slumps. And the bullpen looks as if it is going to be strong again.

So my early assessment is this team will win 85-95 games and will make it into the playoffs again.

X-Terminator
04-06-2014, 02:39 AM
Bucs lose 6-1 to the Cards. Liriano gave up 4 ER in 6 innings, and was not sharp at all. His fastball command was not good, which unfortunately has been the knock on him throughout his career. He can get away with that against a woeful Cubs lineup, but the Cards will make you pay if you aren't on your game.

Rubber match this afternoon. Hopefully Volquez doesn't carry over his awful spring training, because it's going to be tough enough scoring runs against Wainwright and they can't afford to get down big early.

vader29
04-06-2014, 01:26 PM
This sucks, was looking forward to hopefully seeing him pitch in the big leagues by midseason.

Hindes204
04-06-2014, 01:29 PM
This sucks, was looking forward to hopefully seeing him pitch in the big leagues by midseason.

Damn.....

Hindes204
04-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Volquez is looking good out there today, he's hitting every spot he pitches to. Only 55 pitches through 5 innings

Hindes204
04-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Melancon.....6 pitch, 1-2-3 inning, very nice. 2-1 in the bottom of the 8th

X-Terminator
04-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Bucs win 2-1, Grilli with the save. Volquez with a very strong outing - he showed why I wanted to be patient with him, because if anyone could get his head on straight, it's Ray Searage. If he can't fix you, then you either can't be fixed or don't want to be fixed (see Jonathan Sanchez).

4-2 homestand. Nice way to start the season.

salamander
04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Series win over the Cards. Not a bad way to start off the season with the first 2 series.

steelerdude15
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM

While this isn't good, I'm not too worried about it because we have enough pitching depth throughout the minor league system to accommodate for his loss. He'll be back and I'm sure he'll be great when he does.

Charlie gets the start tonight. Let's see how this goes. Hopefully the Pirates can win this series too and improve to a 6-3 record.

Hindes204
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Well that works!! 4-0 Buccos........in the first

X-Terminator
04-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Bucs squeak out a 7-6 win. Morton was not sharp tonight at all, gave up 5 runs on 8 hits, but he did manage to go 6 innings. Melancon and Grilli both pitched easy 1-2-3 innings to preserve the win after the Bucs regained the lead in the 8th off 3 walks and a SF.

I've noticed that all of the Bucs seem to be very patient at the plate so far. They are taking a LOT of walks - 7 more tonight. Pedro actually has more walks than strikeouts. Hell, even Marte walked twice tonight. That is a very encouraging sign, because if they keep that up, eventually pitchers are going to make mistakes and they'll get good pitches to hit.

The biggest news of the night? Tony Watson finally gave up an ER. I guess he's human after all.

X-Terminator
04-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Looks like the Bucs are back to not being able to win in Milwaukee...

Hindes204
04-13-2014, 06:45 AM
In our defense, Milwaukee is on fire to begin the season. We did leave some points out there though

zulater
04-18-2014, 06:07 AM
If they don't get a bat to put behind Pedro he'll never see a good pitch to hit all season in a meaningful moment of a game.

X-Terminator
04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
If they don't get a bat to put behind Pedro he'll never see a good pitch to hit all season in a meaningful moment of a game.

That can be dealt with once Polanco gets to Pittsburgh. He can lead off, and Marte can move down to 5th so that Pedro at least has some protection. The strikeouts would worry me with Marte, though.

Hindes204
04-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Yup, just about time to call Polanco up, he's earned it.

X-Terminator
04-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Bucs acquire 1B Ike Davis from the Mets for minor leaguer Zach Thornton. Not sure I like this move - he's basically another all-or-nothing hitter that the Bucs already have too many of. We'll see what he can do.

Hindes204
04-18-2014, 07:46 PM
I actually like the move, ishikawa hasn't done much after the first few games so it's an upgrade.

on another note, I'm all for calling Polanco up, but do you think it'll be cast effective if we do it before June

X-Terminator
04-18-2014, 07:50 PM
I actually like the move, ishikawa hasn't done much after the first few games so it's an upgrade.

on another note, I'm all for calling Polanco up, but do you think it'll be cast effective if we do it before June

Nope, because they'd lose Super 2 status for him and he'd be eligible for free agency a year early. So he won't be up until mid-June at the earliest.

Hindes204
04-20-2014, 04:17 PM
I understand all that, I guess what I meant by cost effective was would it be worth it to bring him up now, not just monetarily speaking. The way he is playing now shows that he is ready, and an extra month or two in the league will help tremendously come post season time. Unless the guy becomes a perrennial all star I think the money lost would be managable

on another note......$&@! Ryan Braun

steelerdude15
04-21-2014, 09:56 AM
I understand all that, I guess what I meant by cost effective was would it be worth it to bring him up now, not just monetarily speaking. The way he is playing now shows that he is ready, and an extra month or two in the league will help tremendously come post season time. Unless the guy becomes a perrennial all star I think the money lost would be managable

on another note......$&@! Ryan Braun

There's one team in baseball that irritates me and that's the Brewers. I hate losing to them. Hopefully the Pirates can start getting back on track. If our starting pitching continues to struggle like it is, we're in big trouble.

Hindes204
04-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Strange finish, but I'll take the win anyway

Boh
04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
O's Pirates tonight. Manny Machado is making his first start from injury last season. Lets see if the rain holds off

Hindes204
04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Hopefully Morton can stop the downhill slide and right the ship. 13 losses in his last 17 starts doesn't make me confident though...and Machado has been lighting it up in the minors. Hope the weather cooperates, let's hope for a great game Boh!!!

X-Terminator
04-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I hope now that the Pirates are done with the NL Central for a while, they'll get back on track. 10-16 to start the season was the last thing I expected, right along with those classless fucks in Milwaukee having the best record in the majors.

Hindes204
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
It's been a rough start, but this team is better than their record, it'll turn around

tonights game has been postponed, rescheduled for Thursday

steelerdude15
04-29-2014, 07:27 PM
It's been a rough start, but this team is better than their record, it'll turn around

tonights game has been postponed, rescheduled for Thursday

Its supposed to rain tonight, Wednesday, and Thursday morning here in Maryland. We'll see if they'll be able to play tomorrow night too. I would imagine they'll be able to play Thursday depending on how wet the field is.

Boh
04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Damn. Called again. its coming down like crazy and its going to get harder. i hate the rain.

Boh
05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
double header today at 4:30.

Boh
05-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Game 2 8:10

Hindes204
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Delayed......

fix fix the weather up there Boh!!! We need redemption from the first game!!

Hindes204
05-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Just turned on the second game...how the hell is Tillman sitting at 60+ pitches in the second inning?? What in the hell did I miss in the first?!?

Boh
05-01-2014, 10:23 PM
you missed like a 40 something pitch first inning, walking in 2 runs. rough day for him.

zulater
05-01-2014, 10:49 PM
The Pirates stink once again. On their way to a 90 loss season.

Hindes204
05-02-2014, 05:02 AM
The Pirates stink once again. On their way to a 90 loss season.

I couldnt disagree more

zulater
05-02-2014, 05:17 AM
I couldnt disagree more

The proof is in the pudding. Losers of what, 7 straight series now? This ownership group wants to win, but just isn't willing to sacrifice profit margin to do so. They could have kept A.J but let money get in the way. He would have done a lot to stabilize the rotation. Good leader in the room. But when they had exclusive rights they wouldn't step up to the plate. Scared that 25 million dollar profit wouldn't be enough. Fuck them.(Nutting and owners) Last year was a fluke. Will probably be another 20 years before a winning season if these carpet baggers keep the team.

Hindes204
05-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Freindly wager on a winning season Zu??

watching the game now, the double plays are going to make my blood pressure go through the damn roof...so many missed opportunities

zulater
05-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Freindly wager on a winning season Zu??

watching the game now, the double plays are going to make my blood pressure go through the damn roof...so many missed opportunities

No. I don't want to benefit from their futility. I want to be wrong as well. Just stating my angry opinion. :mad: :lol: I just think this could have been a special season if the owners were a little more more worried about winning than making a large profit.

Hindes204
05-03-2014, 06:27 PM
I think they have come a long way in the last few years when it comes to spending money.

Liriano looking really good through two

Count Steeler
05-03-2014, 10:31 PM
There goes the Jays bullpen again. Pure kerosene so far this year.

X-Terminator
05-04-2014, 02:34 AM
I think they have come a long way in the last few years when it comes to spending money.

Liriano looking really good through two

Yeah, they've spent money acquring talent, which they needed to do. The problem is that they aren't willing to spend any money on the major league roster to supplement that rising, young talent, because ol' Baghdad Bob would have to close a trail or 2 at Seven Springs.

I truly believe the players want to win. Hurdle wants to win. Huntington wants to win. Baghdad Bob wants to make money and doesn't really care about winning. If the guy signing the checks is more concerned about his bottom line than spending what is necessary to field a consistent winner, then the team is going to have to basically work and scratch and "luck" their way into wins, because they're getting no help from ownership.

Anyway, nice couple of comeback wins against the Jays. Hopefully this is the start of the turnaround, since a lot of fans have pretty much left them for dead even though there's still 132 games left in the season.

KeiselPower99
05-04-2014, 01:12 PM
20 million dollars between Volquez and Rodriguez!!! Think about that. Thoroughly not impressed with the rotation so far this season.

zulater
05-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Yeah, they've spent money acquring talent, which they needed to do. The problem is that they aren't willing to spend any money on the major league roster to supplement that rising, young talent, because ol' Baghdad Bob would have to close a trail or 2 at Seven Springs.

I truly believe the players want to win. Hurdle wants to win. Huntington wants to win. Baghdad Bob wants to make money and doesn't really care about winning. If the guy signing the checks is more concerned about his bottom line than spending what is necessary to field a consistent winner, then the team is going to have to basically work and scratch and "luck" their way into wins, because they're getting no help from ownership.

Anyway, nice couple of comeback wins against the Jays. Hopefully this is the start of the turnaround, since a lot of fans have pretty much left them for dead even though there's still 132 games left in the season.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6069965-74/polanco-huntington-pirates#axzz30e55idAO

Perfect example of a team who's commitment is to the bottom line over winning. This guy should be up in the bigs. That he's not is all about money and control of the player.

Also it was a huge mistake to let A.J. go. If they had made him a qualifying offer last fall they could have had him for this year. They wanted him back, but on the cheap. So he'll eat up his usual 180 innings this year for the Phillies. And it's not just the innings that are missed, he was a leader and stabilizing force in the locker room.

Anyway this ownership group wants to win, but not at the expense of a huge profit. Great owners are content to break even occasionally if it means furthering the brand. And in the end the pay day those owners get are much more significant than short sighted groups like the Nuttings procure.

KeiselPower99
05-10-2014, 08:48 AM
I have no problem in being a cheap team, look how Tampa does it. They have a few guys that are paid well but the others are at a cheap price and they are constantly winning. I would love to see AJ here still but feel when Rodriguez invoked his option for 15 million he is the guy who took Aj's payroll spot.

steelerdude15
05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
The Pirates were so close to winning this series against the Brewers until Mark blew another save. I remember thinking near the end of last season, his pitching was starting to go downhill and I really don't think he is that effective so far this year. Him or Jason for that matter.

Hindes204
05-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Shit.....so close to winning a series in Milwaukee. Can't be too beat up though, they've been playing much better ball the past couple weeks. The shark tank is more like the goldfish tank this year though

X-Terminator
05-15-2014, 05:11 PM
They already have more blown saves this year than they did all of last year. That is definitely a big concern. Neither Melancon nor Grilli, when healthy, can really be relied on as the full-time closer.

zulater
05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
You'd think Pedro would show up this series so as to show his next bosses what he's capable of.

By the way, no one wants Polanco called up more than Pedro and Cutch. Put a legitimate bat behind those guys and this is an entirely different season. The fact they're leaving Polanco down is further proof to Pedro to fly when his contract is up.

If Mike Trout were Pirate property he'd probably just be getting his major league call up this year.

Cheap miserly bastards! :upyours:

X-Terminator
05-18-2014, 01:45 PM
I understand the reasoning behind it, because $10 million is a lot of money for a small-market team. But at the same time, I don't know how much longer they can justify leaving Polanco at AAA when he's hitting the way he is. After a brief slump, he's right back to crushing the ball again. He'd also probably be the best OF on the team, better than both Cutch and Marte. They're better off just eating the money and bring up a guy who is clearly ready for the majors. Who cares if only a year ago he was in A ball. That kind of quick rise should be rewarded.

zulater
05-18-2014, 03:43 PM
I hate the Nuttings. Hope they're forced to sell the team sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

X-Terminator
05-18-2014, 05:19 PM
The problem I have with Baghdad Bob and Co. is that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, they do has a financial aspect behind it. Again, I get that Pittsburgh is a small market, and that they have spent a lot of money on scouting and rebuilding the organization's talent pool. But they are never willing to take risks, give up a few million bucks later in order to improve the team now or spend money to improve the major league team. They had a team coming off a 94-win season, and instead of spending a few bucks shoring up problems at 1B and starting pitching, they did nothing except waste $5 million on Edinson Volquez and trade for another K machine in Ike Davis. That's why I will never trust them, nor believe any media person that says he doesn't personally profit financially from the team, and thus he keeps the payroll at the absolute minimum. That is bullshit.

Hindes204
05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Marte strikes out........a lot

Boh
05-20-2014, 07:37 PM
when this lineup gets hot, it gets hot. some nights it doesn't show up

steelerdude15
05-20-2014, 07:39 PM
when this lineup gets hot, it gets hot. some nights is doesn't show up

Or maybe Liriano sucks this year.

This is exactly what I thought was going to happen. I knew Liriano was not going to do good this year. He's done this to every team he's been on. He's great for the first year, but starts falling apart after.

stillers4me
06-01-2014, 11:09 AM

X-Terminator
06-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Bucs take 3 of 4 from the Dodgers in LA, beat one of the best pitchers in the league last night in Zack Greinke on national TV and included Liriano's first win of the season...on May 29. This after looking like warmed-over dog crap against the Mets. 4-3 road trip so far, which isn't too shabby. Hopefully they can keep it going against the Padres starting tonight.

LOVE the Morris trade, BTW. I got sick of that guy fucking up royal when the game was on the line. He's actually going to a division-leading team, at least as of Friday. So the Bucs will now have 2 picks in the first round of the draft, and a total of 4 of the first 74 picks. Should be a lot more talent heading their way. Now if they can only get their cheap bastard owner to open up his wallet a little bit more. Nah, I don't see it happening either. Fucking Nutting.

Hindes204
06-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Great series in LA, nice win after that embarrassment on Saturday. I also love the Morris trade. Polanco will be here soon, this team will be instantly better once he gets here. Ike seems to be working out well also

steelerdude15
06-02-2014, 08:09 PM
It was nice to see the Pirates win the series against the Dodgers. I think it was the first time since August 2006 that they won a series in Los Angeles against the Dodgers. With that being said, I think they outplayed the Dodgers for the most part. They were horrible Saturday night, but they took three out of four so I can't really complain. Cutch had a great game last night. Two doubles and a home run, plus, he had that excellent catch. It was nice to see Francisco get his first victory, but I'm still skeptical of him. Every time he joins a new team, he's great the first year and starts pitching poorly the next. We'll have to wait and see what happens as the season continues to progress. I like the Morris trade too. I think we won this one with the pick we got. I'm definitely looking forward to the draft.

The Padres are another team that the Pirates have struggled against. I hope we can win this series. The Padres have strong pitching this year (3.25 ERA, the fifth best in the majors), but from what I understand, have horrible hitting. Here is the preview from the Trib:

Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres

• Through the first 56 games, the Padres pitching staff had a 3.25 ERA, the fifth-best mark in the majors and fourth-best the NL behind the Braves (2.98), Giants (3.07) and Nationals (3.21). The Padres bullpen had a 2.30 ERA, second-best in the majors behind the Nationals (2.17). Padres relievers help opponents to a MLB-best .206 batting average.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6175797-74/tribbucn-padres-game#ixzz33XB5UYYy

Edman
06-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't look now. The Pirates are starting to pull it together after a disastrous start to the season.

Hindes204
06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't look now. The Pirates are starting to pull it together after a disastrous start to the season.

And I'm trying hard to not get too excited over Polanco, but he will only make this team better, rumor is he may be called up this week

X-Terminator
06-04-2014, 03:45 PM
And I'm trying hard to not get too excited over Polanco, but he will only make this team better, rumor is he may be called up this week

He's been hyped up so much that I'm starting to not believe it, even though I was calling for his promotion long ago. It's not fair, but people are expecting a Puig-like debut, and I just don't see that happening. First time the kid struggles, all of the fans and media who've hyped him up so much will want to ship him back to Indy. They're already doing that with Marte, even though he's only 2 months into his 2nd full ML season (not to make excuses for him - he still needs to start performing better). Too much pressure to put on a young kid.

vader29
06-04-2014, 06:02 PM

steelerdude15
06-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Pirates sources: Polanco to remain in Triple-A for now

Fans waiting for the Pirates to call up top prospect Gregory Polanco likely will have to wait a while longer.

On Wednesday night, two high-ranking team officials denied reports that Polanco will be promoted from Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday.

The sources, who spoke on the condition they not be identified, said the team has no plans in place to bring Polanco to Pittsburgh. The Pirates have an off day Thursday and open a three-game series against the NL Central-leading Milwaukee Brewers on Friday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6229945-74/polanco-pirates-sources#ixzz33jCMcA4x

Hindes204
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Hey Boh, did you see your boy Davis giving high fives to imaginary people in the dugout after his solo hr?? Pretty funny

KeiselPower99
06-07-2014, 02:56 PM
If Harrison hadnt been playing so well the last few weeks Polanco would already be up.

Hindes204
06-08-2014, 03:48 AM
I think it's a mixture of plenty of things. Don't look now, but the pirates are playing some solid baseball right now. April was a disaster, May looked like a comeback month, and so far in June we are 4-2. I think we have a situation right now that makes it difficult to bring Polanco up. What do you do with him? RF obviously, but then what happens to a red hot Jayhay??? Move him to left and bench Marte?? Most fans would sound off with a resounding YES!! But I disagree. Marte is our long term LF wether you like it or not, he needs to be out there to continue to develop. Sure, sit him here and there to get a point across, get his head on straight, but everyone knows he owns the LF slot. So Jayhay to SS or third? Ive heard that one too. A platoon with Alverez possibly since Pedro struggles with south paws? Platoon at short with Mercer? Mercer has played some damn good ball too. Well, 0-4 and an error last night isn't reay making my case, but that's just one game. Jayhay can play lots of positions, but most are all filled with everyday guys. RF is the spot that needs help,Polancos can help. Need to figure out a way to keep Jayhay in the game AND bring Polanco in.

from where I'm standing, this a is a pretty damn good conundrum to be in.........too much talent, not enough room

X-Terminator
06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Cole on DL due to shoulder fatigue. Just when things start looking up, here comes the injury bug again. I swear, that damn thing owns property in Pittsburgh.

Hindes204
06-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Ann nnd......we lose another series to the brewers

steelerdude15
06-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Cole on DL due to shoulder fatigue. Just when things start looking up, here comes the injury bug again. I swear, that damn thing owns property in Pittsburgh.

I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure he just needs some rest and he should be fine.

X-Terminator
06-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Walker to the 15-day DL after an emergency appendectomy last night, and finally, Gregory Polanco has been recalled. Hope the kid doesn't flop, because the fans will turn on him in a heartbeat after all of the hype he's had.

Cole threw 25 pitches on flat ground last night, which is a good sign. Hopefully he will only miss 1 or 2 more starts.

vader29
06-10-2014, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mai9Slb5qjM

X-Terminator
06-10-2014, 05:33 PM
At first I was like...they really aren't going to do that, are they? Another classic from Benstonium.

KeiselPower99
06-10-2014, 06:20 PM
If Harrison wasnt playing so well the last few weeks Im damn sure Polanco would have already been up with us. Time to see if all the hype was worth it for Polanco.

X-Terminator
06-13-2014, 11:40 PM
The Bucs choke away a 4-run lead in the 9th against the Fish tonight, but Gregory Polanco saves the day with a 2-run HR in the 13th inning, capping a 5-hit night. That kid is going to be special.

Hindes204
06-14-2014, 05:12 AM
The Bucs choke away a 4-run lead in the 9th against the Fish tonight, but Gregory Polanco saves the day with a 2-run HR in the 13th inning, capping a 5-hit night. That kid is going to be special.

I jumped off the couch and started yelling when he hit that ball, scared the shit outta my wife, haha. That kid is going to be fun to watch. With Marte coming back around, that's one deadly outfield we've got, can't think of a better one in the league.

bullpen really shit the bed last night, but I'll give them a pass, that rarely happens with those guys, just a bad night

X-Terminator
06-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I jumped off the couch and started yelling when he hit that ball, scared the shit outta my wife, haha. That kid is going to be fun to watch. With Marte coming back around, that's one deadly outfield we've got, can't think of a better one in the league.

bullpen really shit the bed last night, but I'll give them a pass, that rarely happens with those guys, just a bad night

Well they enjoyed shitting the bed last night so much that they did it again today, damn near blowing a 6-run lead in the 9th. What the fuck is up with these guys all of a sudden? They finally get some good starting pitching and offense, now they start crapping out. A win is a win, but they need to clean that shit up ASAP.

Edman
06-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Bucs back at .500.

Nice rebound from the bad start to the season, and the gap in the division is starting to close.

It may be late to say this but...I hate the Brewers.

Hindes204
06-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Well they enjoyed shitting the bed last night so much that they did it again today, damn near blowing a 6-run lead in the 9th. What the fuck is up with these guys all of a sudden? They finally get some good starting pitching and offense, now they start crapping out. A win is a win, but they need to clean that shit up ASAP.

Yea, I don't know what the hell is up with them. Starting pitching and offense is on all cylinders and these fools keep making these games too close.

On another note, I'm actually excited to see how Vance the Vanimal does as a bucco. Jim Benedict has a knack for bringing pitchers back from the dead

X-Terminator
06-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Bucs back at .500.

Nice rebound from the bad start to the season, and the gap in the division is starting to close.

It may be late to say this but...I hate the Brewers.

If they win the 3 games against them that they blew saves in, they'd be a half-game out of first right now. Instead, they are 6 games back. Not being able to beat the Brew-roids might end up keeping them out of the playoffs altogether, much less cost them a shot at the division.

Hindes204
06-15-2014, 11:15 AM
If they win the 3 games against them that they blew saves in, they'd be a half-game out of first right now. Instead, they are 6 games back. Not being able to beat the Brew-roids might end up keeping them out of the playoffs altogether, much less cost them a shot at the division.

The brewers will cool down, I don't think they have the roster to sustain what they are accomplishing now. I bet they end up finishing third or fourth in the division

Hindes204
06-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Bullpen shit the bed again, this time resulting in a loss

this shit is getting out of hand

X-Terminator
06-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Just not an impressive weekend even though they won the series. Should have been an easy sweep.

Hindes204
06-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Just not an impressive weekend even though they won the series. Should have been an easy sweep.

I think everything was impressive except for the bullpen....and Alvarez, he's the worst fielder ever

X-Terminator
06-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I think everything was impressive except for the bullpen....and Alvarez, he's the worst fielder ever

The bullpen sours it completely for me. As for Pedro, it's time to move him across the diamond. He is simply awful with his throwing, but he's a very good fielder. In fact, I think he's such a good fielder and athletic that I think he'd win a Gold Glove at 1st, and would only have to throw the ball when absolutely necessary. This coming off-season needs to be devoted to moving him to 1st, move Walker to 3rd and either play Harrison at 2nd or bring someone else in.

vader29
06-27-2014, 05:18 PM

X-Terminator
06-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Wow. I didn't think they'd be able to get anything more than a wad of pre-chewed gum for Grilli. Nicely done, NH. Frieri's numbers aren't good, but maybe coming to the NL and working with St. Searage will get him righted again.

Hindes204
06-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Frieri has some serious skills, he just needed a change of scenery IMO. This was a phenomenal trade

Edman
06-29-2014, 04:37 PM
The Pirates trade Grilled Cheese for Fries.

They also win the series against the Mets today. 5-2.

So far, the NL Central looks like it'll send three teams to the postseason again. What a crazy good division.

Hindes204
06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
I still don't think the Brewers are as good as they are playing. I can't see them keeping it up through the whole season....but yes, most likely going to be three in the postseason

Edman
07-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Bucs win 5-1 and take the series against the D-Backs.

They also jumped over St. Louis and Cincy in the Division. 6 Games back of the Brewers.

I too also believe the Brewers aren't as good as their record shows. They got hot early, is all.

Edman
07-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Bucs Sweep the Phils. The Hot play continues.

Six games over .500. 4.5 Games back of Milwaukee in the Central.

Crucial stretch coming up. Back to Back Road Trips to St. Louis and Cincinnati that will no doubt decide who stays where in the Central. Things are really getting interesting! Go Bucs!

zulater
07-06-2014, 05:15 PM
It looks like I was wrong about the Pirates. :doh: Thankfully so. Hope they can keep it up!

Hindes204
07-06-2014, 08:43 PM
It looks like I was wrong about the Pirates. :doh: Thankfully so. Hope they can keep it up!

I've been screaming from the rooftops since the beginning of the season, nobody wanted to listen!! Our offensive lineup is crazy good, and you throw in a wild card like JayHay and you've got trouble for any pitcher out thre. Our pitching is coming around too, Volquez and The Vanimal are both turning out great, throw in Locke who is really coming into his own.....man, I'm one excited Buccos fan

X-Terminator
07-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I've been screaming from the rooftops since the beginning of the season, nobody wanted to listen!! Our offensive lineup is crazy good, and you throw in a wild card like JayHay and you've got trouble for any pitcher out thre. Our pitching is coming around too, Volquez and The Vanimal are both turning out great, throw in Locke who is really coming into his own.....man, I'm one excited Buccos fan

I never gave up on them either, believe it or not. I always felt they were better than their record, that the talent was there even before Polanco's debut, but was just underperforming, especially their starting pitching and back-end of the bullpen except for Watson. And lo and behold, they have the best record in the NL since the beginning of May. And the Brewers are starting to falter - swept by the Blue Jays and then lost 2 of 3 to the Reds. I've had doubts that they were as good as their record...we'll see what happens from here on out.

Big, big road trip coming up in St. Louis and Cincy. I hope they can at least finish 3-4 and not lose much ground to the Brewers. However, the pitching matchups against the Cards are not in our favor.

Boh
07-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Welp, cant say im not excited!

Should be a fun All Star break

X-Terminator
07-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Well, at least they didn't get swept by the Cards. What a disappointing series after having such a great homestand.

zulater
07-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I think they're done after tonight. Can't win in division.

Hindes204
07-11-2014, 10:58 PM
I think they're done after tonight. Can't win in division.

Thats a voice of someone who doesn't watch much pirates baseball and relies on records, stats, and W/Ls

we lost tonight because of an All Star reliever who had a bad night, nothing more. The cards series hurt but is not insurmountable. This reds series just started, it's one game....

X-Terminator
07-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Thats a voice of someone who doesn't watch much pirates baseball and relies on records, stats, and W/Ls

we lost tonight because of an All Star reliever who had a bad night, nothing more. The cards series hurt but is not insurmountable. This reds series just started, it's one game....

Yes, but they can't win the division if they can't beat teams in their division.

21-29 in the division
13-25 against the Reds, Cards and Brewers
27-16 against the rest of MLB

I think we can see the problem here. That said, with the Pirates still just 3.5 games out of first, they most certainly are not "done." They're still very much in it despite the division record. But it still needs to improve, beginning tomorrow night.

Edman
07-12-2014, 12:15 AM
Another blown lead by the bullpen.

This is why the Bucs just aren't as good as they could be. They really need to fix up the Pitching.

zulater
07-12-2014, 12:59 PM

/
I watch and see plenty. You can't make the playoffs if you're losing 2/3 of your games to the top 3 teams in your division. It's getting frustrating. And it's not just the bullpen. It's lack of clutch hitting in close games. They score their runs in bunches and then shut it down in the latter innings for some reason. They need to start delivering timely hits after the 6th inning to take some pressure off this bullpen. Because as presently constructed we don't have a reliable closer.

So no I don't blame Watson for his first poor outing in ages. But I'm seeing disturbing trends that will prevent this team from making the playoffs if they aren't stopped.

Last thing I also understand that the Pirates jumped back into contention by beating up on mostly bottom feeders. So 6 games over .500 was somewhat of an illusion.

X-Terminator
07-12-2014, 01:16 PM
In fairness, they lost 3 of the 4 games so far in the other team's last at-bat. They were in position to win them, but the bullpen coughed them up. As I have been saying at times this season, the Pirates' problem is pitching. First it was the starters, now it's the relievers. If you just take the games the bullpen has given away this season just to their division rivals, they would be in first place right now. If GMNH and Baghdad Bob do anything by the deadline, adding a reliable reliever or 2 should be the way to go.

BTW, they do have a closer. Mark Melancon...remember him? Haven't seen him in a week.

Hindes204
07-12-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm hoping they make a run at Huston Street

steelerdude15
07-12-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm hoping they make a run at Huston Street

I wouldn't mind having him too, but how much would the Padres want for him? They may ask a lot for him and apparently, they have a weak farm system. The Padres may want quite a bit of talent for Huston. Here is an article from the Trib on Huston:

Pirates notebook: Bucs to target pitching on trade market

CINCINNATI — The four-game series against the St. Louis Cardinals was a mixed bag for the Pirates' bullpen.

The relievers were tagged for walk-off losses in the first two games. Wednesday, the bullpen was strong for 42⁄3 innings after starter Brandon Cumpton was rocked. Edinson Volquez tossed the team's first complete game Thursday, so everyone got some rest (except for closer Mark Melancon, who warmed up briefly in the ninth inning).

Manager Clint Hurdle said he is not concerned that his relievers have been overused in the first half of the season.

“I think we're in a very manageable place,” Hurdle said. “No red flags.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6406792-74/pirates-bullpen-era#ixzz37IgJLwsW

zulater
07-12-2014, 08:26 PM
I think this will be the year the Pirates take two steps back. But I also think they're setting themselves up to take three steps forward next season. I mean it's obvious they're going in the right direction. Just this year between injuries to Cole and not finding the right bullpen mix they just don't seem to have it.

stillers4me
07-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Road trip from hell. :horror:

stillers4me
07-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks, Cutch!

X-Terminator
07-12-2014, 10:58 PM
McCutchen says "FUCK THIS."

And the game was won.

He proved once again why he is arguably the best player in the game, with all due respect to Mike Trout. And to think, in a few short years, he may not even be the best player on his own team. Polanco showed us a glimpse of the future with his clutch throw in the bottom of the 10th to nail the Reds' player at the plate, and helped give Cutch his chance to be the hero.

Hindes204
07-13-2014, 08:01 AM
That throw was phenomenal! What a great game

Edman
07-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Clutch Cutch saved the Bucs from the Fire last night.

The Pirates can salvage something from this bad road trip with a win today. I'm just happy it's over. So many winnable games that got away. Frustrating as hell.

stillers4me
07-13-2014, 11:12 AM
We had to give up our directv package with root sports Pgh when our price went up and the game was blacked out in Cinci. :upyours:

Hindes204
07-13-2014, 11:46 AM
We had to give up our directv package with root sports Pgh when our price went up and the game was blacked out in Cinci. :upyours:

I have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for the mlb package on directv. This year it came with mlb.tv though so it's well worth it

stillers4me
07-13-2014, 11:50 AM
With whatever package/price we had for the last 2 years, I could watch every Pirates game on Root Sports Pgh. Our deal expired and we got rid of all the premium channels and Root Sports went away with it. I'm just glad they goofed our bill up enough that they gave us Sunday Ticket for free this year. :applaudit: But I do miss the Buccos on my TV. It's just a matter of time before they screw up again and Russ can bend them over so I get my Root Sports back. :heh:

stillers4me
07-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Yeah! Buccos on my tv today! Even if I have to listen to Reds crap.

Edman
07-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Really shocking that after that road trip the Bucs are only 3.5 Games behind in the Division.

Still, the inability to beat division rivals and our downgraded pitching hurts a lot.

X-Terminator
07-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Bucs sweep the Rockies, the Yankees sweep the Reds, the Nats take 2 of 3 from the Brewers. All of that adds up to the Bucs being 2 games back pending the outcome of the Dodgers/Cards game tonight. If the Dodgers win, the Bucs will be just 1.5 games out of first.

zulater
07-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Dodgers come to town for 3 next. At least they "dodge" :heh: Kershaw, as he goes on the hill tonight against the Cards.

oneforthetoe
07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm really ok with the Pirates standing pat. A starter like Price is about the only way I would have traded young prospects away. And even at that not the whole farm system. It probably means (on paper) other teams have moved ahead of the Bucs. Still, looking at the Pirates and Pens the last few years, as well as the rest of the teams in the leagues, it seems like those trade deadline deals are just less and less likely to work. Maybe down the road when the window is starting to narrow .... that is when you take that big swing at someone. But for now, I like having the young guys in the minors.

Hindes204
07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm really ok with the Pirates standing pat. A starter like Price is about the only way I would have traded young prospects away. And even at that not the whole farm system. It probably means (on paper) other teams have moved ahead of the Bucs. Still, looking at the Pirates and Pens the last few years, as well as the rest of the teams in the leagues, it seems like those trade deadline deals are just less and less likely to work. Maybe down the road when the window is starting to narrow .... that is when you take that big swing at someone. But for now, I like having the young guys in the minors.

I agree 100%. Getting Lester or Price would have been great, but at what cost? Trade away all that talent for a two month loan in Lester...no way

Liriano is pitching well again, as is Volquez and Worley, Cole will be back soon, I think we will be just fine

Edman
07-31-2014, 08:32 PM
The Pirates currently sit in second place in the NL Central after a catastrophic start to the season and all the injuries they had to deal with.

I think they'll be just fine where they are.

zulater
07-31-2014, 08:39 PM
I wish they'd try Pedro at first. I think he's taking his throwing woes to the plate. If his career as a Pirate can be resurrected they need to take throwing out of his game.

oneforthetoe
07-31-2014, 08:46 PM
I agree 100%. Getting Lester or Price would have been great, but at what cost? Trade away all that talent for a two month loan in Lester...no way

Liriano is pitching well again, as is Volquez and Worley, Cole will be back soon, I think we will be just fine

Another thing to keep in mind is that MLB is now a sellers market. When you had to win the division to make the playoffs it was a buyers market. How many teams in the pre-wildcard era had a legit chance of making the playoffs by the beginning of August? 6,7 or8? Now how many teams think they can still make it? 15? About any team over .500.

stillers4me
08-03-2014, 05:20 PM

X-Terminator
08-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Hopefully it's nothing serious. Honestly, I am surprised Hurdle allowed him to play when the extra day off could have helped.

At any rate, I'm just glad this series is over. All this weekend showed me is why fans in general piss me off and ruin my enjoyment of sports more often than not.

Hindes204
08-04-2014, 05:49 PM
The ending to that game last night was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen

and Zu, you may get your wish, reports coming of that they are considering moving Pedro to first

- - - Updated - - -

Cutch may be out a month

fuck

zulater
08-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Fuck Kirk Gibson! MLB should suspend him and that piece of shit Delgado for a month. And the Pirates should DFI no pitching Frieri for being so putridly awful to set off the chain of events that cost us Cutch for a month. :frusty:

Boh
08-09-2014, 12:30 AM
your welcome xD

6 dingers

Hindes204
08-09-2014, 08:45 AM
your welcome xD

6 dingers

Haha...I checked the score in the 4th and had to look twice to make sure I was seeing it right...works for me, do it again today please

Great to see the offense doing well without Cutch, Walker, or Pedro. Jay Hay is the real deal, gotta find a permanent spot for him. Pedro getting some work in at first at practice yesterday...didn't think they would make this move at this point in the season, but it looks like they are at least considering it

Boh
08-09-2014, 04:52 PM
3 dingers today so far.

8-3 O's. your wish is our command

Lady Steel
08-14-2014, 11:14 PM
I went to an Altoona Curve game last night. We were hoping to see Josh Bell, but he didn't play. The Curve beat the Trenton Thunder 4-2 and we had a great time. We always try to catch at least 5 or so games a year, but we've only been to 3 this season thus far. It's fun watching the up-and-comers.

It's on to the Nationals for our Buccos.

Hindes204
08-15-2014, 06:41 AM
I went to an Altoona Curve game last night. We were hoping to see Josh Bell, but he didn't play. The Curve beat the Trenton Thunder 4-2 and we had a great time. We always try to catch at least 5 or so games a year, but we've only been to 3 this season thus far. It's fun watching the up-and-comers.

It's on to the Nationals for our Buccos.

I enjoy the minor league games. We go to a few here a year, we have the Arkansas Travelers (Angels organization). They have nothing to do with the Pirates, but I love everything about baseball.

not a bad series against Detroit, 2-2. Detroit's offense is ridiculous so I'm not surprised they put so many points on jus board. I'm good with a 2-2 series finish. Morton is pitching today, so I'm expecting a loss....don't like that guy, he gets lit up nonstop

X-Terminator
08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Not only that, the Nats are red-hot. Morton does suck, but if he doesn't do anything else, I hope he plunks Bryce Harper. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Hindes204
08-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Hahahah....I dislike Harper too

Morton having a rough go at it so far, 4-0 Nats I'm the 3rd

- - - Updated - - -

My bad.....it's now 5-0

steelerdude15
08-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Looks like the Pirates are on they're way to blowing another game. They could have won this series if Tony didn't blow last nights game and if the bad throwing didn't happen in this one.

X-Terminator
08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Looks like the Pirates are on they're way to blowing another game. They could have won this series if Tony didn't blow last nights game and if the bad throwing didn't happen in this one.

Looks like the pitching staff in general is falling apart. Worley got hammered again tonight and the Pirates are already down 6-1 to the Braves in the 2nd inning. Oh well, management could have helped the team at the deadline and chose not to, so that, along with the injuries, is now coming back to haunt them big time. This is why I really, REALLY hate Bob Nutting. If the Pirates had an owner who cared more about winning than lining his pockets, Neal Huntington would have an easier time filling holes with better players. I refuse to blame him for this, or Clint Hurdle, like so many other fans are. They can only work with what they've got, and they are constantly asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. It all came together perfectly last season, but it's not sustainable over the long haul.

Hindes204
08-19-2014, 07:15 AM
Looks like the pitching staff in general is falling apart. Worley got hammered again tonight and the Pirates are already down 6-1 to the Braves in the 2nd inning. Oh well, management could have helped the team at the deadline and chose not to, so that, along with the injuries, is now coming back to haunt them big time. This is why I really, REALLY hate Bob Nutting. If the Pirates had an owner who cared more about winning than lining his pockets, Neal Huntington would have an easier time filling holes with better players. I refuse to blame him for this, or Clint Hurdle, like so many other fans are. They can only work with what they've got, and they are constantly asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. It all came together perfectly last season, but it's not sustainable over the long haul.

that was just bad luck for Worley, he did great after that first inning. Cole is coming back, as well as Cutch. Volquez, Worley, Liriano, Locke are all pitching well. Bullpen struggles a bit, but Im not ready to call it a season yet. Im not sure how that amounts to the pitching staff "falling apart" as you put it. Bad time to go into a slump like this, but with a srting of division games coming up, anything can happen

X-Terminator
08-19-2014, 08:00 AM
that was just bad luck for Worley, he did great after that first inning. Cole is coming back, as well as Cutch. Volquez, Worley, Liriano, Locke are all pitching well. Bullpen struggles a bit, but Im not ready to call it a season yet. Im not sure how that amounts to the pitching staff "falling apart" as you put it. Bad time to go into a slump like this, but with a srting of division games coming up, anything can happen

Pitching, especially the bullpen, has been a major problem all season long. And yet, not a thing was done about it. The fact that they were able to overcome it as long as they did is a testament to the players and to Hurdle for keeping everyone focused despite his own shortcomings as a manager (though he has been better). Bottom line is that the pitching staff - starters included - need to be MUCH better than they have been if they have any hopes of staying in the pennant race that they are now dangerously close to falling out of.

Hindes204
08-19-2014, 07:36 PM
I had to open my mouth and say Liriano was pitching well....he just shit the bed tonight.....fuck

Boh
08-20-2014, 08:21 PM
I hope he plunks Bryce Harper. Seriously, fuck that guy.

This so much.

Hindes204
08-20-2014, 10:27 PM
finally an end to that losing streak. Gotta turn this ship around quick before it gets out of hand. Hoping our tradition of getting our asses handed to us in Milwaukee ends this weekend

zulater
08-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Nice to see Gerrit Cole pitch like the guy we saw at the end of last year. Too little too late I'm afraid. Build for next year. If the Pirates don't keep Robbie Martin and Neal Walker and add a quality starting pitcher in the offseason all the suspicion about the owners being carpet baggers only concerned with bottom line profit will be verified.

At some point next year has to be this year. 2015 the Pirates have to pull out all the stops to put themselves in position to win the World Series.

X-Terminator
08-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Martin will be gone, you can take that to the bank. There is no way in hell Bob Nutting will pay him $40-$50 million, or more. He'd faint first. So get ready for more of the same old song and dance, more of the dregs of the league, and more of the fans blaming Huntington when they should be flaming the cheapskate carpetbagger who owns the team.

Lady Steel
08-22-2014, 04:11 AM
Back to Milwaukee. :crossed:

LET'S GO BUCS!

Hindes204
08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
X and Zu, I ask this question not as a smartass or as a "I'm a better fan" guy, I honestly want to know. Why do you guys even pay attention to the Buccos, you two are the most negative fans I've ever heard. If I came to this forum and the steelers were still viably in the playoff/wildcard hunt and started saying fuck it, we suck, build for next year, you guys would run me outta here

X-Terminator
08-22-2014, 06:17 PM
X and Zu, I ask this question not as a smartass or as a "I'm a better fan" guy, I honestly want to know. Why do you guys even pay attention to the Buccos, you two are the most negative fans I've ever heard. If I came to this forum and the steelers were still viably in the playoff/wildcard hunt and started saying fuck it, we suck, build for next year, you guys would run me outta here

I pay attention because they're my favorite team. And I haven't totally given up on them this season despite their pitching staff tanking over the past 10 days, because yes, they are 1 hot streak away from being right back in the hunt for a WC. It's just that I despise ownership and upper management, and really...can you blame me? What has Bob Nutting done that should give anyone any reason to have faith that he will do as promised and spend money on the major league team once they became competitive? They didn't do it last year (until they only had to pay a month's salary), and they didn't do it this year. He is a cheapskate, a carpetbagger that only cares about profit and doesn't give a rat's ass about winning no matter how much he denies it. He wants to get rid of that perception? Then he needs to prove it by anteing up this offseason instead of letting Neal Huntington twist in the wind.

Lady Steel
08-23-2014, 02:19 AM
What a great game that was last night! It was so much fun to watch, and we needed that win badly. The Booers and their fans had a bad case of the madskies. :lol: http://www.cindyvallar.com/pirate.gif

Lady Steel
08-23-2014, 03:13 AM
Have you guys seen this yet?

Cutch is all kinds of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh4Womwv1Bg

X-Terminator
08-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Great video! I'm sure CryBacks fans will disagree, though. :heh:

Yes, it was a nice win in Milwaukee for once. Now they need to do it again. Oh, and have I mentioned that they need to burn that sumbitchin' stadium to the ground?

Hindes204
08-23-2014, 08:41 PM
I pay attention because they're my favorite team. And I haven't totally given up on them this season despite their pitching staff tanking over the past 10 days, because yes, they are 1 hot streak away from being right back in the hunt for a WC. It's just that I despise ownership and upper management, and really...can you blame me? What has Bob Nutting done that should give anyone any reason to have faith that he will do as promised and spend money on the major league team once they became competitive? They didn't do it last year (until they only had to pay a month's salary), and they didn't do it this year. He is a cheapskate, a carpetbagger that only cares about profit and doesn't give a rat's ass about winning no matter how much he denies it. He wants to get rid of that perception? Then he needs to prove it by anteing up this offseason instead of letting Neal Huntington twist in the wind.

I dislike Nutting too, so I understand your frustration. You and Zu are gonna be pissed this off season I guess because I'm pretty sure Russell Martin is gone. I don't think he will get 40-50 mil like you suggested, but he will still be too expensive to keep. He should get around 36-39 over 3 years, and honestly, I wouldn't pay that either. He is having a hell of a season and made himself rich because of it, but his numbers this year are not normal for him. I agree that behind the plate he is a wizard, he is a phenomenal game manager, one of the best we've had in quite sometime, but he's getting up there in age for a catcher, so that's a tough one. Walker on the other hand won't be a free agent yet but he does deserve an extension, and I think they will be able to get one done. Walker won't play here for pennies, but I think he will give them a hometown discount enough to make them both happy

zulater
08-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Robbie Martin is worth overpaying for when you consider how he makes the staff look better than it is. And those outs he gives the pitchers by throwing runners out, how do you replace that?

Again there has to come a time when you deem the present your go for it time. If this team doesn't prioritize 2015 it will tell me that winning is secondary to profit. How sad would it be to never get to a World Series with a great player like Cutch?

Lady Steel
08-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah, baby! I just love when our Bucs beat the Booers in Milwaukee. Priceless!

X-Terminator
08-24-2014, 02:19 AM
I dislike Nutting too, so I understand your frustration. You and Zu are gonna be pissed this off season I guess because I'm pretty sure Russell Martin is gone. I don't think he will get 40-50 mil like you suggested, but he will still be too expensive to keep. He should get around 36-39 over 3 years, and honestly, I wouldn't pay that either. He is having a hell of a season and made himself rich because of it, but his numbers this year are not normal for him. I agree that behind the plate he is a wizard, he is a phenomenal game manager, one of the best we've had in quite sometime, but he's getting up there in age for a catcher, so that's a tough one. Walker on the other hand won't be a free agent yet but he does deserve an extension, and I think they will be able to get one done. Walker won't play here for pennies, but I think he will give them a hometown discount enough to make them both happy

Some team will overpay for him, I'm sure. But if he does sign elsewhere for that price, Bob Nutting should be publicly flogged, because that is a contract he should easily be able to afford. Everyone is making such a big deal about his age. Martin is just 31 years old. If he was 34 or 35 years old, then OK, but he's not ancient by any means. You could easily get 2-3 productive years out of him for that price tag. Nevermind his batting average...his other intangibles alone make him worth the money and the risk of a $12-13 million a year contract. How are they going to replace his work ethic? His handling of the pitching staff? His defense? His leadership? If he only hits .230 and brings all of that to the table, the Pirates will be better for it. Hell, he did that last season, and the Pirates won 94 games.

I also find it interesting that you don't want them to pay Martin, but you have no problem with them extending Walker, who will be 31 when his contract is up and has recurring back issues. Now I have no problem with extending Walker in spite of his back problems, but this team NEEDS to bring Martin back.

It probably doesn't matter anyway, because Elias Diaz was just promoted to AAA and Tony Sanchez has moved to 1B to make room. So it looks like they are going to groom Diaz to be the eventual catcher and go with 2 cheap jabronis behind the plate next season, in true Bob Nutting fashion. *sighs* Just another reason for me to not give that man a dime of my hard-earned cash.

EDIT: When did the Pirates get John Axford? He pitched in Friday night's game. I really must have been out of the loop for the past week.

Hindes204
08-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Couple of things. First, Zu, who the hell is Robbie Martin, lol.

Like I said, it's a tough one. He will be 32 at the beginning of the season, which is old for a catcher. There's a big difference between a 32 year old catcher with 1000+ starts and a 31 year old infielder. Being behind the plate puts a toll on the body. I would love to have martin back, but more like a two year contract. I don't think Martin would accept a two year deal. The problem is the serious lack of catchers available during FA next year. What that means is someone is going to give him his payday and the Pirates won't be able to come close to giving him the same kind of deal.

Axford, the ax man, got claimed off of waivers a week or so ago. It's an ok pickup, he's had some troubles with his control and it shows in his walk numbers. But he is a decent veteran in the bullpen, so I think he will do good things for us

- - - Updated - - -

We put an ass whooping on the booers last night, don't look now but we just won a series in Milwaukee!!!! 4 games out in the division and 1.5 out in the WC. Still in this thing!!

zulater
08-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Couple of things. First, Zu, who the hell is Robbie Martin, lol.

Like I said, it's a tough one. He will be 32 at the beginning of the season, which is old for a catcher. There's a big difference between a 32 year old catcher with 1000+ starts and a 31 year old infielder. Being behind the plate puts a toll on the body. I would love to have martin back, but more like a two year contract. I don't think Martin would accept a two year deal. The problem is the serious lack of catchers available during FA next year. What that means is someone is going to give him his payday and the Pirates won't be able to come close to giving him the same kind of deal.

Axford, the ax man, got claimed off of waivers a week or so ago. It's an ok pickup, he's had some troubles with his control and it shows in his walk numbers. But he is a decent veteran in the bullpen, so I think he will do good things for us

- - - Updated - - -

We put an ass whooping on the booers last night, don't look now but we just won a series in Milwaukee!!!! 4 games out in the division and 1.5 out in the WC. Still in this thing!!

Why can't the Pirates pay him market value? You think they'd lose money if they pay Russell the going rate? Oh poor Nutting, his profit wont be in the top third of the league for a couple years if he tries to actually go for a championship. Boo hoo hoo.

Hindes204
08-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Why can't the Pirates pay him market value? You think they'd lose money if they pay Russell the going rate? Oh poor Nutting, his profit wont be in the top third of the league for a couple years if he tries to actually go for a championship. Boo hoo hoo.

Because market value for him will be too much. Like I said, there are no catchers in free agency next year, someone is going to go crazy and offer him 13-14 mil. Is he worth that? Maybe, maybe not. We have to face the facts that we are never going to have a huge payroll, it's just the way it is. Nutting is t going to sell the team. I think we've done pretty good over the last few years at scouting talent and putting a pretty damn good team together

X-Terminator
08-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Because market value for him will be too much. Like I said, there are no catchers in free agency next year, someone is going to go crazy and offer him 13-14 mil. Is he worth that? Maybe, maybe not. We have to face the facts that we are never going to have a huge payroll, it's just the way it is. Nutting is t going to sell the team. I think we've done pretty good over the last few years at scouting talent and putting a pretty damn good team together

Which is why Neal Huntington should be lauded, instead of excoriated like he is by a lot of fans. No, I wasn't happy with him not getting any bullpen help at the deadline and spent too much time chasing players they were never going to get. But what he has done to build up talent in the organization in spite of working for a cheapskate has been remarkable.

The thing is, I'm not asking for a huge payroll. The Pirates can't spend with the big market teams, and never will be able to. But there isn't a thing stopping them from spending up to the level of the Reds or Brewers - both small-market teams with payrolls well over $100 million. Well, nothing except Nutting acting like Scrooge McDuck.

Hindes204
08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Which is why Neal Huntington should be lauded, instead of excoriated like he is by a lot of fans. No, I wasn't happy with him not getting any bullpen help at the deadline and spent too much time chasing players they were never going to get. But what he has done to build up talent in the organization in spite of working for a cheapskate has been remarkable.

The thing is, I'm not asking for a huge payroll. The Pirates can't spend with the big market teams, and never will be able to. But there isn't a thing stopping them from spending up to the level of the Reds or Brewers - both small-market teams with payrolls well over $100 million. Well, nothing except Nutting acting like Scrooge McDuck.

we are far from the 35 million or so we had for a payroll in 2010, so things are getting better. I think we are right around 80 or so now. Oakland, who is tied for first, is also right around 80, so it's possible to win with a somewhat smaller payroll.

With that said, I do agree that our payroll should be a little higher...I too would be happy if they increased it to around $100M

zulater
08-25-2014, 11:18 AM
we are far from the 35 million or so we had for a payroll in 2010, so things are getting better. I think we are right around 80 or so now. Oakland, who is tied for first, is also right around 80, so it's possible to win with a somewhat smaller payroll.

With that said, I do agree that our payroll should be a little higher...I too would be happy if they increased it to around $100M

100 million payroll and you can keep Martin for the next couple years. So what if you have to trade him and eat a portion of the contract in 16. You've got a two year window where with the right tweaks and some luck you could be as solid a World Series contender as anyone in the league. You will not win in 2014 if you let Martin walk. He makes marginal pitchers better. He shuts down opposing running games. He's a solid hitter, and comes through in the clutch. Outside of McCutcheon there's not a single more valuable player on that roster. It will not kill this teams salary structure to overpay him for two years if that's what it comes down to.

Lady Steel
08-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Grrrrr. Tough loss tonight. :Cry:

Hindes204
08-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Grrrrr. Tough loss tonight. :Cry:

What a great outing for Liriano, only to watch Hughes blow it

X-Terminator
08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Same scenario as last night. Cole pitches great, then Watson blows the lead in the 7th after Cole allowed the first 2 runners on. Except Ike Davis hits a pinch-hit 3-run HR in the 8th to win the game for the Bucs. Big, big win. Rubber match tomorrow afternoon.

Lady Steel
08-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Tonight's scenario truly was eerily similar to last night's, but that 3-run homer by Ike was a thing of beauty.

Hindes204
08-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Raise it!!!! Three straight series wins, all against division opponents. Buccos comin on strong when it matters most

stillers4me
08-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Always a good day when we beat Cinci!

zulater
08-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Tough loss. Liriano has really become the hard luck guy this year. If he got half the run support that Locke does he's be a .500 pitcher. And that's no knock on Jeff. I love what Jeff has been doing for this team this year. But it's juist one of those things. When Locke pitches the Bucs bring their bats to the game. Doesn't matter who he's going up against either. Imean he beat Wainwright last time for God's sake. :lol:

Good series nonetheless.

Hindes204
08-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Tough loss. Liriano has really become the hard luck guy this year. If he got half the run support that Locke does he's be a .500 pitcher. And that's no knock on Jeff. I love what Jeff has been doing for this team this year. But it's juist one of those things. When Locke pitches the Bucs bring their bats to the game. Doesn't matter who he's going up against either. Imean he beat Wainwright last time for God's sake. :lol:

Good series nonetheless.

i knew it was going to be a tough day facing Cueto, two runs just wasn't enough. Great outing for Liriano, he's pitching really well the second half. Starting pitching has been lights out since that losing streak.

On to St Louis

zulater
09-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Really disappointed in Gerrit Cole. He keeps hitting that wall in the 7th inning. Today his pitch count going into the 7th was right at around 80. He shouldn't have flattened out like that. :frusty: Really sets the tone for the series when your "ace"pisses away a 2 run lead without even giving the bullpen a chance. He needs an offseason conditioning program or something to get him fit. You can't be a 6 inning pitcher and consider yourself anything more than a number 3 starter.

X-Terminator
09-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Really disappointed in Gerrit Cole. He keeps hitting that wall in the 7th inning. Today his pitch count going into the 7th was right at around 80. He shouldn't have flattened out like that. :frusty: Really sets the tone for the series when your "ace"pisses away a 2 run lead without even giving the bullpen a chance. He needs an offseason conditioning program or something to get him fit. You can't be a 6 inning pitcher and consider yourself anything more than a number 3 starter.

Not to excuse him, but how much time has he missed this year? He's basically 2 months behind everyone else.

Hindes204
09-02-2014, 05:22 AM
Exactly what i was thinking XT. He has his moments if greatness, he will come around. He's just had a rough year with his health.

at least the Brewers keep losing!!!

zulater
09-02-2014, 05:35 AM
We're a lot more generous giving hall passes to young Pirates than we are to young Steelers.

X-Terminator
09-02-2014, 06:04 AM
We're a lot more generous giving hall passes to young Pirates than we are to young Steelers.

Well, I've never been one to be impatient with young Steelers, so that comment doesn't apply to me. Still though, football fans in general are all about instant gratification, and if a rookie isn't an all-pro right out of the gate, then he's a bust. I don't subscribe to that hocus pocus.

Hindes204
09-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Baseball is a whole different ball of wax Zu. These guys take years to be developed, some are even drafted out of high school and don't even make it to the big leagues for another 5-6 years

zulater
09-03-2014, 04:01 AM
Baseball is a whole different ball of wax Zu. These guys take years to be developed, some are even drafted out of high school and don't even make it to the big leagues for another 5-6 years

I've been following baseball since the early 70's. I get it. But I still say Gerrit Cole has been a major disappointment this year. And it's not all about injuries. Mentally he needs to toughen up. He's got ace stuff. But he doesn't know how to grind and push himself for that little extra.

X-Terminator
09-03-2014, 04:22 AM
I've been following baseball since the early 70's. I get it. But I still say Gerrit Cole has been a major disappointment this year. And it's not all about injuries. Mentally he needs to toughen up. He's got ace stuff. But he doesn't know how to grind and push himself for that little extra.

He is a work in progress, Zu. Been in the majors less than 15 months. Aces weren't built in a day. Give him time.

Sorry, but I have to say it. You're sounding just like those fickle and impatient Steelers fans that I always rail about. I didn't hear or see one complaint about him when he was mowing down batters and winning big games down the stretch of a pennant race last season. He outpitched and beat friggin Yu Darvish in Arlington, in September last season. Remember that? He doesn't have the ability to push himself and grind for a little extra? What do you call that, then?

Lady Steel
09-03-2014, 05:30 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10463690_10150474054529980_9075038208496899893_o.j pg

:(

zulater
09-03-2014, 08:13 AM
He is a work in progress, Zu. Been in the majors less than 15 months. Aces weren't built in a day. Give him time.

Sorry, but I have to say it. You're sounding just like those fickle and impatient Steelers fans that I always rail about. I didn't hear or see one complaint about him when he was mowing down batters and winning big games down the stretch of a pennant race last season. He outpitched and beat friggin Yu Darvish in Arlington, in September last season. Remember that? He doesn't have the ability to push himself and grind for a little extra? What do you call that, then?

I'm not fickle. I just feel let down and disappointed by Cole's 2014 season. And more to the point his most recent couple outings. I think the injuries are no longer the issue. His flattening out every time he hits the 7th inning, regardless of pitch count , seems to be a mental block more than a physical issue at this point.

That he did it last year shows regression. So how's that dispute my reasoning?

Maybe it's just one of those years? Regardless, this most recent outing of his against the Cardinals was a huge momentum changer. At the end of this season if it continues to unravel, that very well could prove to be the turning point. I expect more from Cole. I think the Pirates do too. The Pirates need a genuine ace. I thought he was it a year ago this time. Now I'm not so sure?

zulater
09-03-2014, 08:28 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/2014/09/02/becoming-an-ace/#axzz3CG5QlwaU

X-Terminator
09-03-2014, 08:42 AM
All that article does is say what I've already said - that Cole is a work in progress. It is simply unrealistic and unreasonable for fans to expect dominance every time out when he hasn't spent a full season in the majors yet. He's still learning how to pitch at this level, and yes, the injuries ARE a factor when you consider that all that time he was not able to do what he does best - PITCH.

Adam Wainwright did not become an ace overnight.
Justin Verlander did not become an ace overnight.
John Lester did not become an ace overnight.
Max Scherzer did not become an ace overnight.
Johnny Cueto did not become an ace overnight.
Not even Clayton Kershaw became an ace overnight.

Point being - GIVE HIM TIME!!! The media and fans put way too much pressure and expectations on these kids so early in their careers.

zulater
09-03-2014, 09:31 AM
All that article does is say what I've already said - that Cole is a work in progress. It is simply unrealistic and unreasonable for fans to expect dominance every time out when he hasn't spent a full season in the majors yet. He's still learning how to pitch at this level, and yes, the injuries ARE a factor when you consider that all that time he was not able to do what he does best - PITCH.

Adam Wainwright did not become an ace overnight.
Justin Verlander did not become an ace overnight.
John Lester did not become an ace overnight.
Max Scherzer did not become an ace overnight.
Johnny Cueto did not become an ace overnight.
Not even Clayton Kershaw became an ace overnight.

Point being - GIVE HIM TIME!!! The media and fans put way too much pressure and expectations on these kids so early in their careers.

I'll remember this when you throw in the towel on the Penguins in October.

X-Terminator
09-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I'll remember this when you throw in the towel on the Penguins in October.

I have no expectations of the Penguins going into this season. Besides, it's more than reasonable to have high expectations of a team that had already won a Cup and had some of the most talented teams in ANY sport the past 5 seasons. Or, at the very least, expect them to not completely embarrass themselves in the playoffs. Far different than Cole or the Pirates, or even the Steelers for that matter.

zulater
09-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Sweep. :frusty: Put a fork in any thought to winning the division. Wildcard is a longshot as well.

First game set the tone. Nothing I said about Cole was overly harsh. I guarantee you Hurdle and every player in the dugout expected more from Cole in game 1. I'm sure Cole expected more of himself as well. Twice spotted a 2 run lead and couldn't get the game to the the 8th for the bullpen. Sorry but some losses are more debilitating than others. That game was there for the taking. Twice. Cole has to do a better job in those kind of games. That was a season killer. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

zulater
09-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Raise your hand if you felt going in to this season that Cole wouldn't win between 11-15 games, pitch around 185 innings with an era around 3.

X-Terminator
09-03-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm done talking about this. We'll agree to disagree, and move on.

Anyway, the one thing I didn't foresee going into this season is how bad they would be on the road. That has to improve next season, along with playing better against the division. A little help from the cheapskate owner would be great as well, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Boh
09-04-2014, 12:01 AM
9.5 games up with 24 games left. :bananalama:

Lady Steel
09-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Today's loss stung. A lot. :(

Hindes204
09-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Today's loss stung. A lot. :(

Yes.....yes it did

Lady Steel
09-04-2014, 11:08 AM
J-Hay was named Budweiser Presents National League Player of the Month for August! :applaudit:

Hindes204
09-04-2014, 03:00 PM
J-Hay was named Budweiser Presents National League Player of the Month for August! :applaudit:

Well deserved...I think he hit something like .350 in August, and the hits always seemed to be at a clutch moment....and his defense at third has been phenomenal

X-Terminator
09-07-2014, 05:21 PM
In other news, the Pirates come back to sweep the Cubs after the disaster in St. Louis. I'm STILL upset over that series.

zulater
09-07-2014, 10:01 PM
The 6 inning wonder rides again. Cole is to the 7th inning what the Steelers defense is to the no huddle offense.

Edman
09-10-2014, 09:16 PM
In other news, the Pirates come back to sweep the Cubs after the disaster in St. Louis. I'm STILL upset over that series.

Aren't we all. Within striking distance of them and the Bucs blow it. I still don't hate the Cards like I hate the Brewers.

Now they're getting within striking distance again. 3 and a half back.

Boh
09-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Pirates will win the Division

X-Terminator
09-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Pirates will win the Division

They have a better shot at getting the top WC than the division. I still think the Cards win it.

Hindes204
09-11-2014, 09:20 PM
They have a better shot at getting the top WC than the division. I still think the Cards win it.

RTJR

theyve got a legitimate shot now...2.5 behind the Cards with tonight's win

steelerdude15
09-12-2014, 07:10 AM
The Pirates are looking good at the right time. Offense is playing well, the starting pitching is looking better in the second half of the season, but the bullpen still worries me. I think the Pirates will win the next two series.

X-Terminator
09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
RTJR

theyve got a legitimate shot now...2.5 behind the Cards with tonight's win

Cards have a tissue-paper soft schedule down the stretch: 3 vs. COL, 3 vs. MIL, 3 vs. CIN, 3 @CHC, 3 @ARZ

Pirates' schedule: 3 vs. CHC, 3 vs. BOS, 3 vs. MIL, 4 @ATL, 3 @CIN

I can't see the Pirates catching them.

Boh
09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
smfh davis. literally has ruined my lunch and my day. im so mad i cant even think straight

Boh
09-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Ok, a double header sweep over the skankees and a jays loss. i feel better now. Lets clinch

edit: hope pit hangs on, ahead of cubs right now

X-Terminator
09-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Ok, a double header sweep over the skankees and a jays loss. i feel better now. Lets clinch

edit: hope pit hangs on, ahead of cubs right now

They did indeed hang on...and pull away. 7-3 win. Unfortunately the Cards also won, so they are still 2.5 games out.

As for the O's, I'm really rooting for them. Buck Showalter really has that team believing they can win no matter who is out of the lineup. They've lost 3 of their best players (though Davis the one-year wonder was having an awful season before he got caught cheating), and they still lead the division by 11.5 games. They can pretty much coast the rest of the way.

Hindes204
09-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Love this time of year...baseball in it's final stretch, football is just getting started. Buccos are looking good...just wish the Cards would have a few bad luck games and get some losses in

Godfather
09-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't it be great to have a Pirates-Orioles World Series? We could wear 1979 throwback uniforms and play "We Are Fam-A-Lee" over the loudspeakers. Maybe we can even win Game 7 in Baltimore.

Boh
09-14-2014, 10:18 PM
suck it yankees!

Hindes204
09-15-2014, 04:18 AM
suck it yankees!

Baltimore is playing some good ball these days. But the Angels look unstoppable, going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. I think you guys have taken every series you played with then this year though, correct? I'm thinkin that's going to be one hell of an ALCS

Boh
09-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Baltimore is playing some good ball these days. But the Angels look unstoppable, going to be tough to beat in the playoffs. I think you guys have taken every series you played with then this year though, correct? I'm thinkin that's going to be one hell of an ALCS

Yeah I believe the O's took 4 of 6 from them in the most recent series. anywho, its Clinchmas eve in Baltimore!!!

Edman
09-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Pirates hit win their 81st game by pounding the Red Sox 9-1 tonight.

Yes. It's still a big deal. First back-to-back non-losing seasons since 1990-1992.

Hindes204
09-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Need the Cardinals to falter just a little to open the door. Wish we had one more series against them to make up for the one we lost

Hawkman
09-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Damn, can't gain any ground. Gotta sweep Mil

Hindes204
09-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Damn, can't gain any ground. Gotta sweep Mil

We gaimed plenty of ground in the WC, but the cards just refuse to lose! Bastards are pissing me off

vader29
09-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Nice 1-0 win this afternoon. Watson had me nervous in the 9th inning after Worley pitched a gem but they held on, magic number is now at 3 to clinch a playoff spot.

X-Terminator
09-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Makes me happy that they have pretty much ended any hopes of the Sewers making the playoffs. Fuck you, Ryan Fraud!

zulater
09-21-2014, 06:31 PM
. Forget the Cards, that isn't happening. If San Fran loses today ( down 6 runs heading into the 9th) we have the inside track to the first wild card which brings the game back to PNC Park. That's what we're playing the last week for.

polamalubeast
09-23-2014, 08:59 PM
The pirates are in the playoffs again!!!!

Last year was not a fluke!

Boh
09-23-2014, 09:00 PM
congrats.

edit: i enjoy ending a game with a jeter strikeout

X-Terminator
09-23-2014, 10:00 PM
The pirates are in the playoffs again!!!!

Last year was not a fluke!

And they overcame a LOT to get that playoff berth this season. Injury after injury to key players, and that awful April start. It can be argued that Clint Hurdle did a better job managing this season than he did last season.

Oh, and Josh Harrison bursting onto the scene along with Eddie Volquez and Russell Martin having big seasons didn't hurt.

BTW, speaking of one of those key players...

Gerrit Cole is now 8-1 with an ERA under 3 in September the past 2 seasons. All he did tonight was mow down the final 17 batters he faced after giving up 2 runs in the first. Yeah, this guy ain't "ace" material...

Boh
09-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Sure going to be a fun playoffs to watch.

October Baseball is so underrated.

Hindes204
09-24-2014, 05:56 AM
. Forget the Cards, that isn't happening. If San Fran loses today ( down 6 runs heading into the 9th) we have the inside track to the first wild card which brings the game back to PNC Park. That's what we're playing the last week for.

Nothing is impossible...I'm still holding out hope

1.5 behind...just need some luck on our side

but if it doesn't happen, I'm ok with that, right now we are a game up on SF for the top WC spot and clinched a garaunteed playoff spot last night! Exciting times for Bucco fans

Boh
09-24-2014, 03:45 PM
knocking yanks out of wildcard mathematically. feels good man.

Now if the A's would lose a couple games so the O's could take best record :crossed:

zulater
09-24-2014, 05:09 PM
And they overcame a LOT to get that playoff berth this season. Injury after injury to key players, and that awful April start. It can be argued that Clint Hurdle did a better job managing this season than he did last season.

Oh, and Josh Harrison bursting onto the scene along with Eddie Volquez and Russell Martin having big seasons didn't hurt.

BTW, speaking of one of those key players...

Gerrit Cole is now 8-1 with an ERA under 3 in September the past 2 seasons. All he did tonight was mow down the final 17 batters he faced after giving up 2 runs in the first. Yeah, this guy ain't "ace" material...

I take it that barb was aimed at me. :rolleyes:

You give up two runs in the first two innings against a playoff team and chances are you aren't coming back .Also the Braves aren't exactly murderer's row. Shut out the night before as I remember. I think they're on course to set a team record for lowest batting average for a month.

Look I'm a Pirate fan and I want the kid to succeed. And I do think he has ace stuff. But the fact of the matter is what separates us and the Cardinals at this moment is the game that Cole gave away to them. He still hasn't put it all together. Based on last year's playoffs I thought he was a little further along than he's proved to be so far this season.

But hopefully he can take the way he finished last night's game into the playoffs. :crossed:

X-Terminator
09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
No, the fact of the matter is you're expecting this kid to be Adam Wainwright when he's spent a grand total of 15 months in the majors. What I'm trying to tell you is that it takes TIME...TIME...to develop into a true ace. And patience with young players is something fans do not have these days.

But whatever. Onward to the playoffs.

polamalubeast
09-24-2014, 05:45 PM
No, the fact of the matter is you're expecting this kid to be Adam Wainwright when he's spent a grand total of 15 months in the majors. What I'm trying to tell you is that it takes TIME...TIME...to develop into a true ace. And patience with young players is something fans do not have these days.

Agree with you

You have to be patient with young pitchers. Justin Verlander had an ERA of 4.80 in his 3rd season in 2008!

zulater
09-24-2014, 05:56 PM

No I'm hoping he will pitch to his considerable ability soon. Like a hundred young pitchers have done in the past. The fact of the matter is he pitched a poor game against the Cardinals at the beginning of this month and that's the difference between where they stand and where the Pirates currently stand.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with you

You have to be patient with young pitchers. Justin Verlander had an ERA of 4.80 in his 3rd season in 2008!

And Fernando Valenzuela led the Dodgers to a WS title as a rookie. As have others.

He(Cole) set the bar last year. We already have an idea what he's capable of.

Hindes204
09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm with X on this one Zu....the kid will be our Ace for years to come......just takes time

zulater
09-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm with X on this one Zu....the kid will be our Ace for years to come......just takes time

I'm not disputing that. But windows close fast in baseball, or any sport for that matter. We're probably going to lose some core players after this season. We may not be in this position automatically next year or the year after etc.... So I really hope Cole can pitch like an ace this postseason if he gets the ball.

Boh
09-25-2014, 12:47 PM
smh. Tonight is going to suck. Storm system going through NYC and you know the MLB is going to try and do everything in gods name to have Jeters last game in the Bronx get played.

Wouldn't be shocked if the game starts at 11pm.

late edit: maybe not :D

zulater
09-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Nice to see the bats come to life tonight. :applaudit: 1 game behind the Cards with 3 to play. Essentially up 2 on the Giants going into the Giants game tonight for the first wildcard.

Boh
09-25-2014, 09:41 PM
that shit is scripted :p

Hindes204
09-26-2014, 06:16 AM
that shit is scripted :p

Haha, just watched the highlights. What a way to go out, couldn't of scripted it any better. I dislike the Yankees...a lot. But you got to give it to Jeter, dudes a class act, glad to see it end on a good note like that

stillers4me
09-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Russ was at the game in Cinci last night. #boysnightout #Iwasn'tinvited #noImNotOverityet

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10358730_759539867436993_3920209550896454274_n.jpg ?oh=649f0409c37e32db3fcd344fc2478fbe&oe=54CB6050

steelerdude15
09-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Welp, you might as well kiss the division away.

X-Terminator
09-27-2014, 04:13 PM

They never had a realistic chance at it anyway. The matchups and circumstances were not in their favor, and beyond that, coming up empty in St. Louis in their last series all but sealed their fate.

They did clinch home field for the WC game. We should be happy with that. Win that, then go play the Nats.

zulater
09-27-2014, 06:00 PM

It might be for the best. Now they call pull Cole from his scheduled start tomorrow and save him for the Wildcard game at PNC.

Imagine if they had tied the Cards, had to have a one game playoff in St. Louis, lost that, then had to face the Giants a day later. To me that was a far worse scenario than having their fate decided today ( hopefully the Cards win tonight and make it official) Now they can go into the post season and pretty much set the rotation as they want.

Boh
09-28-2014, 04:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ttM7kuh.png

First Wildcard Tuesday, and 2nd Wednesday. Good luck!

http://i50.tinypic.com/d8b49.jpg